Hydro question

gorillagrow

while I'm in process of a couple of soil grows I'm think that I would like to start learning about growning hydro, and was wondering if someone could recommend a good book on the subject, and a good simple system to learn with? The book should be the abc's type of book some sort of step by step guide.

Thanks

I was looking for something that would give me the step by step prosedures and information on the subject, so I could then discuss my thoughts here with some understanding of what when where why and how... with those that know through daily use and applications.

research DWC or bubbler. They both are the same system but it depeneds on who's posting about it to what it's being called.

Exactly. It is the easiest system to learn on. I converted from soil to hydro and went DWC. You can get books pertaining to hydro online, but I just used the info on this site, started a grow journal, asked a ton of questions and listened to the answers.

I read a few books from my local library on hydroponics when I was a youngin' (not even in high school). Learned a little about hydroponics in the historical sense. Learned a little about (if I remember) three different basic setups. Learned a little - very little, I skimmed - about people mixing their own recipes from bulk raw materials. Would have been useful if I was a chemical engineer who routinely had access to piles of 13 or 20 different basic ingredients lol but to someone in seventh- or eighth-grade... Also read a chapter on using "organics" - you know, some compost tea recipes, guano, etc.

It was interesting reading for a young mad scientist lol.

What did it do for me? Well, years later when I first heard of hydroponically grown MJ, I thought, "I think I'll do that," and dove into the pool, so to speak. I understood at least the concept of pH and strength-in-solution (ppm) of different things, and could visualize rather simple setups.

But most of this stuff is all common-sense anyway, a good soil grower already knows about the importance of proper pH, how to determine his/her nutrient strength, and so forth. And as far as conceptualizing simple hydroponics setups... The books didn't include full-color pictures. The posts about 420Magazine being a much better information tool than a book have a point. You can take a romp through the completed journals and watch the entire process from step one of construction through the actual smoke reports. And if you read something in a current/ongoing journal that you need clarified or would like to discuss further you can post (or perhaps send a PM if it would be wandering too far off-topic in your opinion).

So, what did I really get out of reading books? A short discussion on the history of hydroponics and the urge to one day do it myself.

The first is just a Google search away and you appear to have the second already.

Hydroponics is just growing stuff lol. It takes the "slop out of the steering" (got a DIRTy look for using that one once ;)) if you like: Your, uhh, steering changes are implemented instantly before your eyes - but realize that unthinking over-corrections can quite quickly be painful. (And don't fall asleep at the wheel. <W00t!>) The buffering ability of your "soil" is inherently lacking in hydroponics. That can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on circumstances and your general mental condition.

Figure reading a 200-page book and digesting it will take you three or four hours anyway. Set aside that much time to delve into the old threads here and you will have come away with more useful information. And while doing so you can post any questions that come up & probably have replies by tomorrow.

Agree that the setup to start with would probably be the simple "aerated solution in a bucket/tote." Some people start with that, try a drip system, then try ebb & flow, only to go back to the bucket. If you get enough O2 to the roots, keep pH under control, and feed the plants what they hunger for then you've pretty much got it. Everything else is just playing lmao.

But we all need hobbies.

Back
Top Bottom