Hydro vs Organic

I am doing a hydro organic right now in coco watered daily. Using Dr Earth powered nutes. Organic. It has lots of good stuff in it. I am using kelp as a PK booster. And to lower the PH to around 6.8, I am using organic garden sulfur.

I am doing a hydro organic right now in coco watered daily. Using Dr Earth powered nutes. Organic. It has lots of good stuff in it. I am using kelp as a PK booster. And to lower the PH to around 6.8, I am using organic garden sulfur.
Do you have a grow journal I could take a look at. I want to do the same thing

Hey Grandpa I have a brand new Phototron it's about 4 years old it's never been used I'm wondering should I start this way or is there a better way to start I don't know what to do I'm brand new at this

first time grower here, trying to decide whether to go Hydro or the "soil route".... does anyone know anything about these Hydro Grow Tents that are for sale? They make them for soil also.. are they good? Do they work? Are they worth the money??

The main difference between a hydro grow and soil grow would have to come down to time, depending on what hydro method you chose to explore it can possibly cut down the grow time by 3/4ths. I've heard many people say hydro yields better but yield has nothing to do with the grow method the amount you yield is all pre determined off genetics how ever hydro can grow better denser buds making some believe it yields more when in reality it's just optimizing your potential yield. In soil the plant has to put energy into growing downward with the roots but in hydro it doesn't need any of that energy to grow downward so it can just transfer it all into plant growth hints why it grows faster. Hydro or soil really comes down to how much money you have and time and personal opinions as well.

I am new to all this. My questions are: can i just use miracle grow soil once i get the seeds started? also for watering, would the water collected from a dehumifier work for watering?

DO NOT USE MIRACLE GROW and take the safe route and by distilled water for 2 dollars it's worth it in the end

I agree organic is better than hydroponics

Those two terms don't compare, lol. One can grow organically in a hydroponic setup (with caveats), and grow in soil with nutrients that don't match some politically-"correct" definition of organic.

What are caveats?

Well, for one, the usual mad aeration of the nutrient tank that is - in general - great when growing hydroponically can cause unwanted levels of microbial growth. And Small orifices in feed lines/ends can get clogged easier. Supplementing with peroxide to give a boost in oxygen ends up being a bad thing. Sh!t stinks (lol). Et cetera.

So for organic hydro something like dwc wouldn't be a great way to go?
I'd love to be able to do organic hydro. And someday when I know what I'm doin, I'd like to try cannabis aquaponics.

I'm a first time grower. I'm germinating my seeds in a paper towel, but I have a hydroponic system with rock wool cubes. Is that safe for my seeds?

Thanks,
Zayde

I'm a first time grower. I'm germinating my seeds in a paper towel, but I have a hydroponic system with rock wool cubes. Is that safe for my seeds?

Thanks,
Zayde

Yup, that's what I do.

Seeds go straight into PH'd rockwell cubes, sprout, soon as roots start to show out the bttm they go into dwc with the water just to the bottom of the net pots.

I just re-read your post and see they're in paper towel.

Either way, you're fine :)

So for organic hydro something like dwc wouldn't be a great way to go?

It's not a method I'd use. When I go DWC, I like to run 20+ gallon reservoirs and keep them supersaturated with DO (dissolved O₂) just shy of the point at which you could drop a mouse in and be able to observe the thing starve to death before it got around to drowning, lol. This environment would give me mad, uncontrolled microbial growth. I also supplement regularly with H₂O₂ (peroxide) for an extra boost of O₂ - and that would undoubtedly slaughter all the microbial life... Aside from losing the thing that turns the organic nutrients into something that the plants can eat - a not insignificant issue all by itself - it wouldn't surprise me if the sudden appearance of many, many, many dead things were to cause an extreme pH shift, simultaneous to contaminating my aquarium power heads.

Far easier to add O₂, feed with a good quality chemical nutrient recipe that contains ingredients which are chelated and already in a form that the plant can uptake via its root system and use, add O₂, mix to the correct pH and learn how your particular strain(s) consumes your particular nutrients - and at what rate - and how this changes your reservoirs' pH and TDS over time (and which nutrient components to add back to compensate for the consumption whilst moving that pH back into the correct range), add O₂, change your reservoirs regularly (or at least... change them ;) ), add O₂, keep light out of the reservoirs in order to prohibit algae growth, add O₂, the usual odds & ends in a grow setup, and... Hmm... Oh yeah, I remember now:
Add O₂!

Back
Top Bottom