Hydro1000 - 2016 - Perlite/Hempy Bucket - Multi-Strain - Perpetual Grow

hydro1000

It sure is great to be here around so many great people, great growers, great info......just an all around great site to be on!! Thanks all for your stories of family and friends, my heart goes out to all who have fought and are still fighting for a better quality of life with this remarkable plant!

I started following growers on :420: years back but until lately with never decided to take the next step and try to grow the plant which I have pushed on others for all the great medical benifits. I am a everyday smoker which helps me relieve my issues of the everyday stresses, but as I age and watched my kids grow up I am more looking at preventing any health issues that will arrive.

With that being said I'm not a great grower nor do I really know what I'm doing. I have tried to take what you all have to offer and come up with a simple system that works for me with the amount of time I can put into this. (I know we should all find time for the things we are passionate about, health should be one of them).

Well my goal was to have a DWC or RDWC system in place as the once a week res changes was the eye catcher and I really thought I would have 6 other days to just watch and fiddle with things. Wow it wasn't that easy lol, I found myself fighting to keep res. temps at 68 degrees, I ended up with root rot and the whole DWC was a bit of a pain without an expensive chiller in place. One day I will go back to this but for now on the back burner.

So I went back to researching what will work for me.....cheap and easy is what I wanted but still with the benefits of hydro. I came to the conclusion that Hempy Buckets with 100% perlite was my best option, no other media would be needed unless starting seeds, then jiffy pellets will be used. The care for these as they mature will still be a daily task, but thanks to my sweetheart we have a plan that keeps me close to home, Home is with her, kids, cats and dogs.

So I have my plants looking pretty good I think. I'm hopefully going to be here everyday and hoping I can finish these with out to much of a problem, fingers crossed

What I got going on in here for STRAINS:
Crop King Fem. White Widow ...... 1 girl and 3 clones
B.C. Blue Berry ...... 3 cloned females, 1 unsexed
Bag Seed ..... 4 Sativa dominant 3 unsexed, 1 showing female
Bag seed ...... 1 buddy says its kush unsexed, will see soon

Water:
Tap water let sit for 24 hrs. Before use ( I keep a 18 gallon Rubbermaid just for water to sit in)

PH will be 5.8 for the most part

Nutrients: Jakes 3 part (micro, bloom, grow) root, Vb-1, Powder Bud start @ week 3 and powder Bud finish @ week 6
This is my first go with this brand and from non sponsor, sorry but had to buy local. Not many stores around me so we support the ones we have. It's made locally so I'm giving it a shot following directions from their feeding schedule and we will see what the end result will be.

Lighting:
150 watt MH will be for veg only. Not using yet, as I'm still trying to figure out where my veg room will be set up after I switch this room to 12/12.
Air cooled hood, 1000 watt dimmable ballast (600w, 750w, 1000w, super lums)
1000 watt MH currently for veg with glass out and 1000 watt HPS will be for flower, I may put glass back in for flower depending on temps as it warms up here.
2-24"-20 watt T8 for clones

Temps:
Daytime around 78-82 degree F.
Night time around 68-72 F.

Fans:
Filtered intake fan so not to blow any dust into grow room 300 cfm would be close.
Waiting on new carbon filter as a buddy needed one and I couldn't say no for him to use it. He paid me for it lol. Have fan pulling air from hood with glass out to keep heat temps down.
1 oscillating fan in room so far.

1 Thermostat 4" from floor in grow room set at 70 degrees when temps get below 70 F, it turns on a space heater on outside of room and feeds filtered intake air fan which keeps temps stable at around 70 F. when lights out

First off I will start with my CropKing Fem White Widow, she is going to be a gem just recently transplanted from 2.5 gallon pail to a 5 gallon pail. This plant I topped then I snapped one of the main tops off by accident moving things around so I cloned the top that snapped off and have taken 2 other cuttings from her.
I have been doing some low stress training on her and the results are showing as new growth is coming up from the complete length of the 3 main branches.

image35846.jpg
image8556.jpeg
image8557.jpeg
image8558.jpeg
image8559.jpeg

BC Blue Berry unsexed this started out great and then took a turn for the worst, it's a fine line between to much and not enough water and/or to much food to not enough food. My problem started as roots were looking for the bottom of pails, and the colors on the leaves started changing from a nice light green to a nasty yellow which in turn I thought to wet again. I left these for a day and only watched as the colors faded rapidly, I had to do something? so to the nutes I went, I gave about 2 cups of ph water with 3/4 nutes, watered around edge of pail just to see if this could help without soaking the roots, Instant turn around you could almost watch the nitrogen flowing into the leaves lol. So I have found that in perlite the moisture can still be there, but the roots must be down there also otherwise no food intake, Lesson learned. Little bit of water daily until roots establish is the key.

The 3 Blue Berry clones from another plant are in solo cups, they have taken off in the last day so soon they should be ready for transplant soon, they will go straight into 2.5 gallon pails and I will get pictures of the roots at that time. I'm only giving them about 2 weeks in veg then going to flip to flower.

image8561.jpeg
image8562.jpeg
image8563.jpeg

I have 4 Sativa dominant plants from bag seed, so far only 1 has showed she's a girl others should be showing soon. I have smoked this strain and has a really fast acting head high but the true response from this strain will be determined at a later date as the bud I smoked was very leafy, harvested weeks to early and seedy. So hoping to improve the quality and see if she's a keeper or not.

image8567.jpeg
image8568.jpeg
image8569.jpeg
image8570.jpeg

Another bag seed I have is unknown could be a kush from what a buddy says, and this is also unsexed. If it shows its a female then she will be just flowered out and clones taken no topping will be done just a pinch and bend over the main stems to fill her out a bit.

image8564.jpeg
image8565.jpeg
image8566.jpeg

My cloning methods are simple take cutting, dip in root stimulant powder, plant in solo cup with straight perlite and ph'd tap water 10 - 14 days ready for transplant. Usually 1 watering (complete soaking) at day 5-6

So here we go and just a quick thanks to all staff, members and sponsors on 420 magazine, your knowledge is absolutely priceless and your passion for helping people no matter what the reason is not something you see around everyday!!! Cheers all! :peacetwo:

Well hydri1000, you've got me interested. :) let's get the good vibes going. They look great and nice job with the clones. I got a couple WW from CKS going at the moment aswell. Glad you're doing this journal, I'll be watching.

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Well hydri1000, you've got me interested. let's get the good vibes going. They look great and nice job with the clones. I got a couple WW from CKS going at the moment aswell. Glad you're doing this journal, I'll be watching.

KiG cheers

Thanks snidrajsed glad to have you around here.

Today not much going on, I was looking at the three Blueberry Clones and going to move them into larger pots, this will happen at the next feeding , at that time I will be able to see what the roots have done And if I'm on the right track, these are about 25 days but I would like to try to get them transplanted at 10-14 days followed by 2 weeks of veg then flower They are growing but took a little while longer then expected to get them to this point.
image8620.jpeg
image8619.jpeg
image8618.jpeg

The CropKing Fem White Widow clones are at day 6, They have been looking good the whole time. I'm going to give them until day 14 then we will look and see what the roots are doing at that time and if good we will put those into 2.5 gallon hempy buckets to start veg for 2-3 weeks. Should be just enough time to fill that pail with roots before flower.

image8560.jpeg

This other CropKing FEM. WW Clone is at day 12 since I snapped her off by accident! ( shown below with her mom). We will check on her in 2 days and most likely transplant to larger, like 2.5 gallon pail. Any suggestions on what size pot I should be going to with her? This will give me a good idea what I'm looking at for time for cloning until transplant based on root growth.

image8559.jpeg

I have found with the Sativa going from 2.5 to 5 gallon pail growth never really slowed down during the transition.
With the WW FROM 2.5 gallon pail to 5 gallon pail I'm still waiting for her to take off and we are on day 7 from transplant, the root ball was about 3/4 full in a 2.5 gallon pail, so a bit of difference on reaction from those two strains. She is growing just hasn't exploded yet.

I had a few minutes this morning before heading out and snapped a few pics while I was transplanting the blueberry clones. Just a quick update on how that went. I had to name these girls so it's a little easier to keep track of, Betty BlueBerry #1, #2 and #3.

Let's start with Betty #1, I pulled her and the roots look good? I thought there would be more of a root ball for the amount of time they have had, but they look nice, white and healthy I am putting her in coffee container just so we can take a look again in a couple weeks before they go into final pot.
image8661.jpeg
image8662.jpeg

Betty #2, I removed also and the root structure is about the same as Betty #1 nice white and healthy looking. I'm also putting her into coffee container and we can check her in a couple weeks before putting in final pot.
image8663.jpeg
image8664.jpeg

Here are both girls in their new pots, and one of the full room not including the 2 CropKing White Widow clones in cabinet.
image8665.jpeg
image8666.jpeg

If I have time today I will pot up Betty #3 into 2.5 gallon pail and we can see if there is a difference in growth between the three Betty's
Any questions or something you see that is not quite right, just throw it out there, pick it apart, whatever you want. This is why we're here.
Thanks all for following!! :peacetwo:

One other thing I forgot to add, I soaked both girls with 2ml per gallon of Micro, Grow, Bloom, 10ml VB1, 20ml root and PH 5.9. This is just under 1/2 strength for all except full strength for root.
I'm not using EC meter as of yet but may purchase one some day, and I'm using PH strips that measure 5.5 - 8.0.
My water after nutes added, ph comes out at 6.2 -6.4 so it doesn't take much ph down to get where I want it.

Subbed! Lovely looking ladies and it's nice to see your clones are taking so well Hydro :goodjob:

And about your previous DWC attempt, I think you were running sterile but I'm on my second grow running live with no chiller and so far no problems at all with res temps getting up to 76F. Hempy is surely easier and requires less maintenance but the growth speed in DWC is awesome. I hope you give it a chance in the future again :Namaste:

Subbed! Lovely looking ladies and it's nice to see your clones are taking so well Hydro :goodjob:

And about your previous DWC attempt, I think you were running sterile but I'm on my second grow running live with no chiller and so far no problems at all with res temps getting up to 76F. Hempy is surely easier and requires less maintenance but the growth speed in DWC is awesome. I hope you give it a chance in the future again :Namaste:

I just finished a great read on this? Tea Bag Your DWC started by SmokzAlot.
This I should have researched a bit more at the time lol. I will come back and give DWC a go in the future!! it does makes sense to go this way as 72 degrees res temp was pretty easy to achieve, 70*F a little tougher but manageable, 68*F I had to cool with frozen bottle. So temps of 76*F gives a nice buffer and should work in most gardens if not all.

Today I just went in to give a quick check snapped a few pictures, everyone is doing pretty good still a day or two until they all need a good drink. Here CK WW and her 2 clones, can't locate the other clone picture.
image8719.jpeg
image8720.jpeg
image8721.jpeg

Below is the bag seed I won't name it until it shows sex. The leaves are huge compared all the other plants in the room.
image8717.jpeg
image8718.jpeg

The 2 clones Betty 1 and 2 we transplanted yesterday and the Betty 3 yet to be put in larger pot, maybe tomorrow morning.
image8715.jpeg
image8714.jpeg
image8716.jpeg

Tracey #1 is the only one to show she's female in first two pics.
image8708.jpeg
image8709.jpeg
image8710.jpeg
image8711.jpeg
image8712.jpeg

The other Blue Berry unsexed
image8713.jpeg

I just went and gave a quick look, noticed a few yellow tips on Tracy2,3, and 4. I gave each plant a lift and there is still some weight there but looks like they may be getting a wee bit hungry, I'll check in the morning after lights on and decide then if to give each a small drink. (I want those roots to go searching for moisture and besides the tiny yellow tips they are looking pretty good. I will add, I let them get a little to hungry a while back and the leaves turn yellow really quick, then nitrogen toxicity after I hit them with nutes again. I'm taking it slow with water and nutes until I know roots are down to bottom of pail.
Not using EC meter as of yet just going by feel. They tell me what they need but do I understand them........is the question?

When should I flip over to flower? I was really hoping to be there already. Most could be flipped anytime so very soon I'm thinking. I will keep the clones for 2-3 weeks in veg then put them into flower.

I'm also on the look out for good mother plants of all the strains I have going, And I will add a few more strains as we go along.
Any suggestions welcomed. The new seeds I'm looking for will be Sativa dominate something that brings on a good buzz yet still lets me get on with my day.
My son will most likely decide what will be planted next, he has be dealing with a depression over the years and has suffered a couple concussions do to motocross wrecks. So waiting on him to let me know what works for his headaches. I would like him to take :cco: that's my next goal, get him on that daily as I'm sure it can only speed up the brains healing process.

Hi Hydro, the yellowing in the leaves could be due to a potassium deficiency but I'm just guessing :cheesygrinsmiley:

Longer veg times will lead to a bigger plant with higher yield. Some people prefer to sacrifice yield and give a short veg time to harvest faster, it's all up to personal preference really but usually 4-6 weeks (or when you start seeing preflowers) is a good time.

Good luck and good vibes for your son :Namaste:

Hi Hydro, the yellowing in the leaves could be due to a potassium deficiency but I'm just guessing :cheesygrinsmiley:

Longer veg times will lead to a bigger plant with higher yield. Some people prefer to sacrifice yield and give a short veg time to harvest faster, it's all up to personal preference really but usually 4-6 weeks (or when you start seeing preflowers) is a good time.

Good luck and good vibes for your son :Namaste:

Thanks StillANoob ya I was thinking the same thing. The girls are getting thirsty, they all are all showing the same deficiency, very slight but it's there, they will be getting a good soaking today that should fix most of that.

I'm at my limit I think for how much veg time should be given. If I want to add more plants as we go along I'm going to have to flip these babies in the next day or so, I will set the other light timer and get it in there maybe today.

So I didn't have time last night to get on here and post anything but I did snap a few pictures from yesterday so I will explain as I go:

First thing yesterday, Picture of the room
image8765.jpeg

Sativa- Tracey #1
image8766.jpeg
image8767.jpeg

Sativa - Tracey#2
image8768.jpeg
image8769.jpeg

Sativa - Tracey #3
image8770.jpeg
image8771.jpeg

I decided to get the other two clones transplanted
Here is the CKS White Widow clone, I snap one of here main tops of by accident on March 3rd, it has been 15 days producing roots so let's see what she looks like.
image8775.jpeg
image8776.jpeg

2 gallon pail of perlite was flushed with ph5.9 water and drained out good before clone planted in her new home. Then 1/2 strength nutes added around base of plant about 2 cups.
image8777.jpeg
image8778.jpeg
image8779.jpeg

Blueberry clone, she is almost a month since snipped, again nice white healthy roots.
I put her in a 2.5 gallon pail, her sisters are in coffee containers about 3/4 gallon. I want to compare the growth and see if it makes sense to start small and work into larger pots or just go from clone to large pot. This will give a some idea of what to expect. Perlite flushed with ph5.9 water and 1/2 strength nutes added to base of plant about 2 cups
image8780.jpeg
image8781.jpeg

image8782.jpeg
image8783.jpeg
image8784.jpeg

I feel like I'm rushing to keep up today, I wanted to fix all deficiencies these girls are experiencing, there is still some weight to the pails but they do need a good drink. It has been 9 days since they were last soaked really good, so that's what they will be getting today.
I mixed up 4 gallons of full strength nutes following directions from the bottle 5ml micro, 20ml VB1, 5ml bloom, 16ml grow, then ph to 5.8 - 5.9
Each of the Tracey's, The CKS white widow, bag seed unsexed and the blueberry unsexed will get about 1/2 gallon to 3/4 gallon of nutrient ph water to about 15% run off
image8838.jpeg
image8839.jpeg

Here is the rest before watering
image8826.jpeg
image8827.jpeg
image8828.jpeg
image8829.jpeg
image8830.jpeg
image8831.jpeg
image8832.jpeg
image8833.jpeg
image8834.jpeg
image8835.jpeg
image8836.jpeg
image8837.jpeg
image8840.jpeg

Each of the plants took a little over 2/3 gallon after run off
I am going to give myself today to ponder over when to flip to 12/12, but thinking next lights on will only be for only 12 hours. Let the magic begin

Well here's a pic of the whole room (1hour after watering)
Top left to right: bag seed unsexed, CKS White Widow, CKS White Widow clone#1
Middle left to right: Tracey #1, 2, and 3
Front row left to right: Betty Blueberry clones 3,2,1, Tracey #4 and then lastly Blueberry unsexed

Temps are High of 79F low of 70F
Humidity is 37%
Light height is 38" 1000mh

Back
Top Bottom