Hydrogen Peroxide!

bigdeal422

Here is some info I came across. I know a few others have posted on this subject, so if a moderator feels like it, they can move this to said post. Thanks!
HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
Hydroponic gardening - Hydrogen peroxide in the system

All Hydroponic gardeners should know about the benefits of using Hydrogen peroxide in the Hydroponic nutrient tank. Hydrogen peroxide is water with an extra oxygen atom in it which, when broken down into the solution, helps to add extra oxygen to your Hydroponic nutrient solution. This extra oxygen is then applied to the Hydroponic plant's roots making healthier and more robust plants with lots of healthy new root growth.

In Hydroponic gardening, Hydrogen peroxide is also very helpful in sterilizing your growing medium and the surrounding growing area at the same time. It helps to prevent bacteria and harmful pathogens like fusarium, pythium and some other unwanted diseases from growing in your Hydroponic system. When we first starting introducing Hydrogen peroxide into our Hydroponic systems we were amazed by the difference in the plants. We did experiments with Hydrogen peroxide in different Hydroponic systems side by side with everything identical in all systems including lights, temperature, nutrients and flood times.

When we introduced Hydrogen peroxide into some of the Hydroponic systems we noticed the difference in less than 24 hours. Our heads of lettuce all stood up higher and were much bigger and after 3 days they didn't even look like the plants without the Hydrogen peroxide, They were much bigger and fuller and looked like much older plants. We have been believers in H202 in Hydroponic systems ever since.

Let's look at all this in more detail and see why Hydrogen peroxide works so well in Hydroponic gardening systems.

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide!!!!

In Hydroponic gardening, there are harmful bacteria strains that will thrive in low oxygen content water. If your Hydroponic nutrient tank solution tends to be usually on the warm side at 70 degrees or more, your Hydroponic tank and your Hydroponic growing medium is more likely to be a breeding ground for harmful bacteria and pathogens. This is because room temperature or warm water holds very little oxygen in it. The warmer it gets, the less oxygen it holds.

This is not a good thing in a Hydroponic system as these bacteria and diseases can spread very rapidly if you don't have a good supply of oxygen in your Hydroponic nutrient tank. It can cause root rot in the plants and as they rot they they will remove even more oxygen from the water. Use of a good air stone in the tank helps to supply oxygen into the water and also adding Hydrogen peroxide as well.

Adding Hydrogen peroxide into your Hydroponic nutrient solution not only adds extra oxygen into the water and kills off harmful bacteria but it also will help to grow bigger healthier Hydroponic plants with thicker, healthier leaves and branches. Hydrogen peroxide also increases a Hydroponic plant's ability to uptake more of the nutrients from the solution as well.

Regular strengths of Hydroponic peroxide are 3% 5% and 8%. If you read the label on a bottle of regular household Hydrogen peroxide you will usually see that the inactive ingredient is purified water, which is good. This is like pure distilled water which is also good. It should say something else on the label though. It should say that the active ingredient is Hydrogen peroxide-STABILIZED. There has been much controvery on whether or not stabilized Hydrogen peroxide is good for the plants so let's dicuss that.

Stabilizers are added chemicals that stop the product from beaking down on the store shelves. Although we usually want to know exactly what we are putting into the Hydroponic nutrient tank we have used regular 3% Hydrogen peroxide that you can buy in any store with never any ill effects on any of the plants. We have used it in strengths from 4 tablespoons per gallon of water up to 1 whole cup in a 12 gallon Hydroponic nutrient tank with no problems at all.

Adding 2 to 3 ounces a day to a five gallon tank has also been done. The plants all seem to grow great and very heallthy with no signs of any bacterial growth anywhere. We know of many other growers who use it also with no problems to the plants. Always store any Hydroponic Hydrogen peroxide solutions in dark or light proof containers. Light rays break it down which is why it is sold in light proof bottles to start with.

The plants usually tell us everything we need to know about what we are doing in Hydroponic gardening. I would say that if you get some burning or yellowing of the leaves in your plants to reduce the amount or the strength you are using as it may be too strong. You can also make up a 5 gallon bucket of water with about 500 PPM of 3% regular Hydrogen peroxide and use it to top off your Hydroponic nutrient tank when it is low. This is a good practice to help keep your plants healthy and your Hydroponic nutrient solution bacteria free.

Hydroponic stores carry other forms of Hydrogen peroxide available that has been made with no stabilizers and is actually more cost effective to use. One popular Hydroponic product and probably used more than any other is a 35% strength food grade Hydrogen peroxide that can be diluted down to a safe Hydroponic usage level.

To get a 3% Hydroponic solution you would mix this Hydroponic product at 1 part of the 35% Hydrogen peroxide to 11 parts of water. This is strong stuff and it can burn your skin and other things also. Mix it in a separate container with gloves on before adding it to your Hydroponic tank. This 35% Hydroponic food grade product is also used in drinking water for farm animals to help reduce the bacteria in the water they drink so you may also find it at farm stores. Some beauty salon supply store also have it for bleaching of the hair.

When used in Hydroponic systems, Hydrogen peroxide also helps to eliminate the chlorine making the water more pure. It makes strong healthy white roots with lots of fuzzy new growth in Hydroponic plants. This, in turn, allows the plants to absorb more of the Hydroponic nutrients and gives faster overall growth.

Ways to use Hydrogen Peroxide in the Garden

The benefits of hydrogen peroxide for a garden can be useful for any kind of a garden, and any method of gardening. Peroxide is great for plants that are planted in the ground, and it's also great for plants in containers -- it is useful in hydroponic gardens, raised beds, and greenhouses.

Similarly, peroxide for gardening applies well with all kinds of plants: a rose garden, herb garden, vegetable garden, orchard, shade trees, flower garden or lawn -- any or all of these would benefit from hydrogen peroxide.

Peroxide works by releasing oxygen. It acts as an oxygen supplement for plants. It seems to really support both good health and strong growth for plants.

Hydrogen peroxide can also help with soil fungus: it aerates the soil, and it is anti-fungal. (It is also anti-bacterial.)

Ways to use peroxide in the garden
General fertilizer, either in plant water or sprayed on foliage. This page has much more detail about how to mix and apply peroxide in the garden.
For sick plants. Spray on the leaves and add to water.
Hydroponic gardening. Hydroponic gardeners often use peroxide to feed plants, by adding it to the watering system.
Spray on tree cuts, to prevent infection.
As a spray in the greenhouse, to control mold and mildew.
Sprouting seeds before planting. Added to the water that seeds soak in, the seeds will sprout faster and grow stronger.
Rooting cuttings. Added to the water, if you've put the cuttings directly into water. Or, if you've put the cuttings into soil or medium, use peroxide in the water you're using to water the cuttings with.
Mold or fungus on plants or in the soil. Hydrogen peroxide will help to control mold on plants or in the soil. If you've got mold on the plant, spraying the leaves is probably best... This page has the story of my lemon tree with black mold on the leaves.
Weed killer. I've never used it this way, and I'm not sure I would want to... but I've read that 10% hydrogen peroxide will kill weeds. Personally, I would rather pull the weeds up. If you do decide to try this, I certainly would NOT use 10% peroxide close to other plants... and I would come back later and add a LOT of water after the unwanted plants ("weeds") have died. This is very very very concentrated......
How much peroxide to use in the garden....
This page has charts showing the amount of hydrogen peroxide to use for watering and spraying plants, for general applications and for sick or fungsy plants. Please take a look — it only takes a little bit of peroxide.

Peroxide for sprouting seeds and rooting cuttings...
Here is a science fair project using hydrogen peroxide for sprouting seeds and rooting cuttings. In this experiment you have a choice of either sprouting seeds or rooting cuttings. Either way, different amounts of hydrogen peroxide are used, and the results then compared.

Hydrogen peroxide in earth's natural watering system (rain)
When the garden is watered by rain, there is a small amount of hydrogen peroxide in the water. It is part of the earth's cleaning system.....

As rain comes through earth's ozone layer, some of the molecules of water (H2O) pick up an additional oxygen atom (O), becoming H2O2 — hydrogen peroxide!

Oxygen is O2, while ozone is O3. Ozone is very unstable -that third oxygen atom moves on easily. So the water has no trouble picking up some single oxygen atoms.

Hydrogen peroxide is also very unstable -oxygen is readily freed up to oxidize various things that it encounters (such as bacteria, viruses, mold, pollution...) In the process of oxidation, the hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is broken back down into water (H20) and oxygen (O).

Hydrogen peroxide will oxidize many kinds of pathogens and pollution, so it helps to clean the air, as the rain falls. I've read that there is currently less peroxide in rain water than was common in the past, since oxidizing air pollution now "uses up" much of the peroxide. (Hydrogen peroxide is always "used up" by the oxidation process.)

Now, I think that cleaning up some of the pollution in the air is a fine use for hydrogen peroxide, as the air after a rain is so much nicer to breathe. But our plants like peroxide too!

Ways to use Hydrogen Peroxide in the Garden

Thanks for adding that in ledtester. Your thread is what made me want to post more info. I haven't started using H2o2 yet, but I plan on it soon.

Thanks for adding that in ledtester. Your thread is what made me want to post more info. I haven't started using H2o2 yet, but I plan on it soon.

No problem, there are so many uses for the stuff it's unbelievable...BTW when I met Ronald Reagan in 1980 I had smoked enough that day to cause the inhalation of the dinosaurs...LOL

I have been using H2O2 since the beginning of my grow both in my nutrient solution and as a topical spray. I put 2-3 capfulls a day in my small res's (9gal) and 30 ml a day in my 35 gallon res. I also have some in a spray bottle and i spray the top of my rockwool and hydroton once a week to kill algae and stuff. It works great.

I add 1/3 cup of 3% to 6 gal of water daily. I doubt it is necessary, but it's cheap and does no harm.

The stuff that has been cut to 3% is not reccomended because it has a bunch of impurities in it. Your best to get the concentrate, it's better and will save you money too.

Is there evidence that there are "impurities" in 3% h2o2?

I bought my 35% from Celeste H202, (search with google). Here's some info from their site on the subject.

SF

-------------------------------------

What is hydrogen peroxide?

Water is h2o. That means two atoms of hydrogen and one atom of oxygen. So hydrogen peroxide has an extra oxygen atom. That is the working element of hydrogen peroxide - a pure oxygen atom. It is that oxygen atom that is the miracle of hydrogen peroxide because that pure oxygen atom can be released.

So here is what the words mean:

What does 35% concentration mean?

35% means that the liquid is 35% hydrogen peroxide and 65% water. There is not such thing as a bottle of 100% only hydrogen peroxide. It is impossible to make. Even the military can only make 90% concentration hydrogen peroxide and that will decompose very quickly to being weaker.

35% is the highest concentration that can be sold to consumers and the highest concentration that can be shipped.

How to reduce the concentration level:

To reduce the concentration of hydrogen peroxide you simply dilute it with pure distilled water. For example, if you were to add a quart of water to a quart of 35% hydrogen peroxide, you would have 17.5% hydrogen peroxide. If you added 12 times as much water to 35% hydrogen peroxide, you would have made approximately 3% concentration hydrogen peroxide.

Beware of offers to sell lower concentration unless the price is MUCH, MUCH lower. For example, 1 quart of 35% hydrogen peroxide will make 3 GALLONS of 3% hydrogen peroxide. If you buy 17% hydrogen peroxide, it is half as strong (or has twice as much water) as 35%. That is why 35% concentration isn't as high to buy as you think compared to 2 or 3% drug store hydrogen peroxide, which is NOT safe to use internally.

What does "Food Grade" mean?

Hydrogen peroxide is only semi-stable. That means it can break down to water and oxygen. The extra oxygen atom of hydrogen peroxide (h2o2) is only loosely attached. As hydrogen peroxide loses oxygen atoms, it reverts to being water and oxygen. This also builds up pressure in the bottle. This is called "decomposition."

To avoid decomposition, manufactures add "stablizers" to many grades of hydrogen peroxide. This gives it a much longer shelf life and also can reduce manufacturing costs, but the stablizers are VERY harmful to you.

"Food Grade" means that it is approved by the United States Department of Agriculture for usage in food processing. Specifically, it means that the United States Department of Agriculture has tested sample drums of a production run to certify that it is not contaminated, that its concentration level is the level stated, and that it does not contain harmful stabilizers. This increases the cost of Food Grade hydrogen peroxide 200% to 300% over "technical" or "bulk' grade (both are the same.) The individual containers of consumer size filled from the drums are not tested by the U.S.D.A. unless they should elect to do so.

Food grade means that the hydrogen peroxide does NOT contain harmful stablizers or contaminants AND was tested/sampled by the United States Department of Agriculture (the drums tested). Neither the F.D.A. nor U.S.D.A. has set any standard for the safe consumption of hydrogen peroxide. Food Grade hydrogen peroxide has been approved for certain food processing applicatoins.

Most other grades of hydrogen peroxide don't have to mean any standard whatsoever. It is whatever the individual manufacturer says it is. "Technical" grade means whatever the manufacturer wants it to mean. Only "food grade" meets a quality/purity standard AND is tested by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

ABOUT OUR 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide

Our 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide is manufactured in accordance with the Food Chemical Codex in Pint to Gallon sizes. Drums are sampled and certified by United States Department of Agriculture to the legal standards set for 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide as set by the United States Department of Agriculture for both purity and concentration.

There are ZERO toxins in true CERTIFIED Hydrogen Peroxide, only pure oxygen to be released. Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide is proven for for health, cleansing and purification properties. All
literature and experts for decades only recommend 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide.

This is NOT watered down 17.5%. (That is a trick a few people are doing on the Internet hoping people don't notice the difference - and then how EXPENSIVE what they are selling really is.) It isn't very professional. You maybe want to be careful of anything then they sell. But if you want 17.5% (I don't know why anyone would), click here.

I dunno, 3% has worked just fine for me for years so I think I'll stick with it. We can probably agree that using any kind of h202 is better than not using anything at all.

I just purchased some 3% because it was unadulterated and cheap. After using that, I plan on ordering some 35% from an online store. I'll post results of how the H2o2 helps in my grow journal.

Thanks for chiming in Kickstart. I've just begun to learn about all of the many uses. This morning my plants were looking mighty fine after some H2o2 was introduced to their root zone last night.

Back
Top Bottom