Hydrogen Peroxide

hey1

Hi all,

Does any one know how much hydrogen peroxide to put in the plants? There has been ALOT of rain here, and I'm concerned about it. I read about hydrogen peroxide will help with aeration and help deliver more oxygen to the roots. I'm going to go out and buy some (3% stuff from the drug store) but I don't know how much to use. Do I add a tablespoon to a gallon of water or what? My plants are in regular soil that I picked up at Wal-Mart but I added spaghum peat moss, perlite and vermiculite to it to give make it a lighter & healthy medium. Any help would be appreciated.

Botanicare make the product that you are looking for. It's call Hydroguard. This will provide the protection from root problems from overwet conditions and other attacking microbs. It is more stable than hydogen porixide, lasts longer. 1 to 3 teaspoons per gallon every 30 to 90 days in soil. If you can't get this 3 to 6 teaspoons per gal of hydrogen peroxide would be plenty safe to apply.

Hi all,

Does any one know how much hydrogen peroxide to put in the plants? There has been ALOT of rain here, and I'm concerned about it. I read about hydrogen peroxide will help with aeration and help deliver more oxygen to the roots. I'm going to go out and buy some (3% stuff from the drug store) but I don't know how much to use. Do I add a tablespoon to a gallon of water or what? My plants are in regular soil that I picked up at Wal-Mart but I added spaghum peat moss, perlite and vermiculite to it to give make it a lighter & healthy medium. Any help would be appreciated.

H2O2 isn't really for use in soil grows. The radical oxygen molecule is released when it can "oxidize" an organic molecule and will just basically destroy any organics it comes into contact with. It will destroy the good as well as the bad and won't add any O2 to the roots but can eat the root hairs off making things worse. Handy to spray some on the top of the soil if there is algae or mold on the surface.

Drugstore peroxide isn't that good to use as it has stabilizers in it to keep a longer shelf life. I get the 35% food-grade stuff from a garden center or health food store then add to DWC tubs @ 2ml(cc)/USG(4liters). Dilute 1 part peroxide to 11 parts water for 3% The peroxide does not react with the salts that are used in pure hydro mixes but keeps any nasties at bay.

Good drainage is the best way to go for dirt farming.

Dr. FrankenKush may have good advice about about Hydroguard tho I thought it was more for hydro set-ups. As I have no first hand experience with it I have no useful opinion. As a chemist I do know that H2O2 eats everything organic and I wouldn't flood my soil grow with it.

Put a teaspoon of peroxide in a shot-glass of your nutrient mix and watch it fizz. 2O + C = CO2

I agree with LabRat on the 35% food grade-it is more pure and you can store it in the freezer for A LONG TIME!!! However, my direct experience with it is that my soil grows look healthier and my last two clone batches were 100% successful watered with diluted 35%. The general agriculture practice is to use 64 drops of 35% food grade per gallon of water. I use 48 drops per gallon just to be safe. My water is some of the cleanest well water in the states so i don't worry too much about reactions between the peroxide and the water. That being said, i wouldn't just use it this way with general tap water unless it was at least carbon filtered. I also use it internally with distilled water. Hope this helps:cheer:

Hi all,

I have a few more questions, if you don't mind.

1) For out99990: You mentioned not using general tap water with the 35% food grade stuff. I am sorry ignorant about this stuff, but what is 35% food grade? Is that still hydrogen peroxide only stronger? If it is, why can't I use it with general tap water? I know the tap water has salts in it but will that harm or kill my plants? I'm using that water now.

2) Dr. Frankenkush sugguested buying Hydroguard which is now called AquaShield (at least that is what one website said), Should I use this and not worry about the 35% food grade stuff? So far, I don't see my plants suffering but since I can't buy some of this stuff in the stores, I will take some time to order it online. I wait to have it just in case. I might be worrying for nothing because my plants are outside in the sun for about 6-8 hours a day and than the rest of the time is ambient light. Maybe, I don't have to worry about root rot BUT when it rains almost every day, that is when I get concerned. I don't know if I should be using this stuff NOW or wait for trouble to hit. Thanks again for any help you can give me.

Correct, 35% is not only stronger, but also there are no adulterants in it-stabilizers, etc... which is what makes it food grade. I'm not positive that you CAN'T use it with tap water, HOWEVER- my research into it has been towards agricultural and personal internal use and my conclusion on the ag use is that the scale of farming that uses h.p. relies on well water-not municipal treated water. The reason that i don't reccomend using tap water is that i don't know how the h.p. will react with chlorine, etc... You may want to do some research concerning the mixing of tap water and h.p. Concerning tap water usage on plants, i've grown many plants using tap water over the decades and the plants grew strong and big, my concern is with the mixing h.p. in it. I just wanted to "caution" you about this as there may be an issue-then again there may not be. Hope this helps!

Correct, 35% is not only stronger, but also there are no adulterants in it-stabilizers, etc... which is what makes it food grade. I'm not positive that you CAN'T use it with tap water, HOWEVER- my research into it has been towards agricultural and personal internal use and my conclusion on the ag use is that the scale of farming that uses h.p. relies on well water-not municipal treated water. The reason that i don't reccomend using tap water is that i don't know how the h.p. will react with chlorine, etc... You may want to do some research concerning the mixing of tap water and h.p. Concerning tap water usage on plants, i've grown many plants using tap water over the decades and the plants grew strong and big, my concern is with the mixing h.p. in it. I just wanted to "caution" you about this as there may be an issue-then again there may not be. Hope this helps!

Actually if there is chlorine in the water the addition of peroxide will get rid of it and help neutralize the chloramines created when chlorine reacts with bacteria and other organics in the water. Chloramines are the stuff that makes your eyes so red when you swim in a public pool, not the chlorine itself. Lots of amino compounds in kids pee! lol

Thanks LabRat!!! This should help ease your fears Hey1. With Labrat's technical knowledge being shared with us, i would give it a well informed shot. If you need a source-let me know:cheer:

I'm going to start looking for the 35% food grade. Hopefully, I can find it in Southern States or Loews.

Hey1, couple of notes for you:

- you can get 35% from hair/salon supply stores, besides the hydro store. Online will get you easy access though apparently the h2o2 is on the hazmat list for transport...? Perhaps some o/l retailers would rather just not deal with it, so...?
- i'm pretty sure the 35% also has stablizers in them too, though with the dilution ratio's it really doesn't matter. i use the 35% & dilute to 1% to disinfect work areas/materials. Even 1% will cause your outer skin to oxidize (turns a white color). It stings a little though with plenty of water & rubbing, rinses away. Don't get the 35% on you.
- though it will remain active diluted, in a bottle for over a week, once you add it to the ground, it will burn/oxidize off within minutes. It will not have any lasting effect on oxygen levels in your soil. The very limited amount of oxygen released will bind with other molecules & not be available to your roots. It doesn't even really oxygenate recirc solutions- only to help kill pathogens.
- Hydroguard utilizes bacillus subtilis (?sp) which is a live bacterial culture. It inhabits the root zone & minimizes the chances that pythium or other soil pathogens can't get a strong foothold. Aquashield is the same thing but that they removed the specific ingredients from the label- supposedly for continued, easy market access in Cali.
- If you are in an area of continued rain, neither of the above will help you (period). So before you go out, be cautious. I would think you are over worrying about root rot, though not there. Either way, the h2o2 or HG/AS will not help.
- For the outside, you would need a soil drench of a rather specific fungicide. These tend to be controlled chemicals & a lot of info to use properly/safely.

Best.

BTW, a better alternate to the fungicide, or h2o2 or bac subt, is Rootshield. This has trichoderma harzianum, which is also a fungus. This one specifically grows throughout the soil & on the roots themselves, effectively preventing any pathogens from taking hold and/or growing on your roots. Same idea as HG, but utilizing a fungi vs bacterium. Rootshield will be much more effective outside as it colonizes wide & far. It is very expensive. You can find other THz at the hydro store. Check certain lawn/turf supply companies as well. Best again.

Thank you very much for the info. I think you're right, I'm worrying too much. My plants are in direct sun 6-8 hours and than ambient light after that, when it's now raining every late afternoon. Last month, it rained 20 days in a row. No sun at all. Now, it seems to rain every night but thank God, at least the sun comes out during the day. Best to all.

So where are people buying the Food Grade 35% h2O2 ? Hydro Store is too expensive. The feed store by me doesn't carry it so I will have to mail order it looks like. Celeste' 1 Gallon 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide + free blue cobalt dropper bottle $34.17 plus $11.65 S&H +$16.50 HAZ =$62.32 pwe gallon seems expensive to me. I read in some thread where PitViper was getting a good deal on 5 Gallons of 35% H2o2 but I can't find the thread... :surrender:

So where are people buying the Food Grade 35% h2O2 ? Hydro Store is too expensive. The feed store by me doesn't carry it so I will have to mail order it looks like. Celeste' 1 Gallon 35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide + free blue cobalt dropper bottle $34.17 plus $11.65 S&H +$16.50 HAZ =$62.32 pwe gallon seems expensive to me. I read in some thread where PitViper was getting a good deal on 5 Gallons of 35% H2o2 but I can't find the thread... :surrender:

High 02Much4Me

Sometimes you can get the 35% Food grade at health food stores for about $10/litre/quart. Some garden centers like the ones your mom likes to go to sell it there too a lot cheaper than a hydro store. I got my last jug for $52/1gal about a year ago at a big commercial garden center and I'm running low now. Use 0.5 ml/liter/quart for general twice a week maintenance. I use a big fat syringe I got at the local farm supply to accurately measure my dosages for nutes and peroxide. etc. If you suspect root problems double the dosage until they look good again.

It's the greatest thing since sliced bread for hydro or DWC. With DWC like I use if the temps get over 70F in your tub you stand a good chance of root rot without H2O2. Almost ten years of DWC and I've never had root rot.

I credit my successful grows to this one additive. My last grow was a lot of Kush plants in two tubs where I ran one tub for over 120 days without ever changing nutes and had colas twice the size of a beer can. One of the biggest is kind of famous around here and known as Beer Can Betty. Check out the last few pages of my Kush link in my sig to see her in all her glory. 27 plants in two tubs was an experiment that worked out pretty good. Just under 15 OZs. The other tub got changed about a month into flower but didn't produce any better than the unchanged tub.

Now I'm doing 1 plant in a ScroG to see what kind of yield I can get from that. Different strain tho, a KaliMist/BC Big Bud/Durban Poison cross that was a heavy producer in the past.

Anyway, the peroxide should be available somewhere so just check out the health food stores and garden centers 'til you find some.

Good luck and good growing! :thumb:

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom