Hydroguard alternative

I use peroxide. I picked this habit up like 12 years ago somewhere and I always put a few drops to a capfull depending on how much water the res holds. It usually keeps the roots super white and healthy.
Thanks for the response SlantEye, I will start looking into this.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Advanced Nutrients Sensizym and z7 are also alternatives. They place beneficial bacteria in the reservoir. If you use peroxide you'll run a sterile reservoir without any bacteria. Or you can brew your own teas for the reservoir. Look up VilliageIdiot's posts on that topic. :)

You should see if you can find z7 Water Conditioner it has worked for me in my DWC's for years. I gave up Hydrograud for it. I think it is much better.

It is made in the US and I am not sure if you can find it in Canada.

I use nothing but z7 tap water and nutes with no root issues in three years.

I was going to use beneficial microbes and enzymes until reading DukeO's recommendations for the z7

The posts got me thinking as I know its hard not to share something good with others when you KNOW how well it works.

I am up for going years without a slime or root rot issue

In Canada z7 is scarce at best and overpriced at $67 so I looked for something similar but cheaper for me. After some research bought a liter of Dutch Master Zone a nutrient conditioner that cost me $33

Its mixing rate is 1ml per gal so treats 1000 gallons. For me it will do forty 25 Gal nutrient batches

I like the idea of a clean tank & roots not to mention its going to save me a lot of money on microbes / enzymes.

Thanks for the heads up on conditioners DukeO

I was going to use beneficial microbes and enzymes until reading DukeO's recommendations for the z7

The posts got me thinking as I know its hard not to share something good with others when you KNOW how well it works.

I am up for going years without a slime or root rot issue

In Canada z7 is scarce at best and overpriced at $67 so I looked for something similar but cheaper for me. After some research bought a liter of Dutch Master Zone a nutrient conditioner that cost me $33

Its mixing rate is 1ml per gal so treats 1000 gallons. For me it will do forty 25 Gal nutrient batches

I like the idea of a clean tank & roots not to mention its going to save me a lot of money on microbes / enzymes.

Thanks for the heads up on conditioners DukeO
Is it this one LEDbud?

420-magazine-mobile1073975779.jpg

Also in Canada and the struggle is real .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Z7 can be used in conjunction with bacteria and mycos but, to my knowledge, DM zone kills everything in the rez except roots.
I like using bacteria/mycos as i really believe from my experiences that it helps with nutrient and water uptake, which in turn helps accelerate plant growth... But i have seen really good grows using sterile reservoirs also. It comes down to personal preference, i suppose.
I know i am going to give z7 a go mext time. Its already in my cart, lol. Maybe i can cut out my hydroguard since the z7 is less expensive. I will still use Great White tho. It really seems to kick root production into high gear in the time I've been using it.
Another low cost alternative is pondzyme. I think i paid around $12 for an 8oz jar that will do like 200 u.s. gallons. It comes with barley in it tho so i brew it for a few days then strain unless i am using it during final flush. Then i just dump a little in the rez and let it do its thing. Its available at pet stores and places where they sell pond supplies.

That is the same product DM Gold Zone , I got it with prime from the same seller

Turns out enzymes and microbes are not needed in hydro as the minerals and nutrients are heavily chelated eliminating the need for both microbes and enzymes

Apparently the ONLY (or nearly) reason microbes and enzymes are of use in hydro is because they take up the space in the root zone leaving no room for bad microbes to take hold.

Using water conditioners allows you to skip that process and clean up the whole tank , good and bad.

The tank will be sterile and the roots will be healthy because of it , now the chlelated nutrients will make everything flow

Its a copper sulphate based product

Is it this one LEDbud?

Also in Canada and the struggle is real

You can use microbes and enzymes with water conditioners but its going to kill them z7 included so its wasteful , more importantly its just not needed.

The great World of hydro is just opening up for me and I like what I see , far freaking out.

I must of read some bad info

I was just reading up on the z7 web page , it does say it is full of microbes and enzymes so it is indeed compatible with with microbes more so it is a blend of them.

I was mistaken z7 is actually a enzyme based water conditioner and not a sterile based conditioner as I read somewhere.

Z7 is for natural conditioning and Zone is for sterile conditioning

After reading up on sterile vs enzymes I feel good about going the sterile route , but for the natural way z7 sounds to be better and last longer then other products out there.

Back
Top Bottom