Hydroponic newbie

Wallie23

420 Member
Hello everyone,
New member here... I am also a newbie in growing and hydroponics. I have a set up already and with many failed attempts I have germinated and sprouted some seeds but never got passed that. Troubleshooting I have found that I may have been overwatering the seedlings. Currently I terminated my seeds in rapid rooters. I have taken to growing them in a mostly dark warm environment until they have sprouted. And today I went and checked and one has popped up... My next question is.. What do I do next? Because I have had so many failures at this part I am unsure where to go from here. Should I be keeping these in the growing tray and humidity dome until they are able to be moved into my hydroponic setup? What about light? Also was wondering why it is bending like this?
Any tips would help! Thank you

The plant doesn't have a clue which way is up, as it's been kept in the dark. Put it under a not too strong light for a few days under a humidity dome and it will reach for the sky. It will also gain some color, instead of that pale washed out look.

Okay thank you for the tips! I have cob LED lights, however, every other time that I put the seedlings under once they popped they didn't turn out so was considering just using the general room light while they are little as I was wondering if the lights I have are too strong for the little seedling. Again, all of those times that were failed could have been due to over watering....
Again...Thank you both for the tips :adore:

Hello!
Sorry for not replying sooner. Yes my cob lights are adjustable for intensity. We are on day 8 since start of germination and both seeds have made an appearance. I have been hand misting them daily and are under the cob about 4 feet away. My one seedling looks stretchy.. Is this because of not having the light on earlier on? and it is now is almost touching the dome, therefore I was forced to take it off.. Is that okay? Also the one leave on that one is turning brown but I have heard the first leaves usually fall off? Here is a pic of what they look like today. Thanks for all the help thus far! :adore:

You do what you have to. Letting the plant touch the dome is never good.

There are high domes available at most plant nurseries and garden centers. You can also take a piece of cardboard and make a riser for your current dome.

Hello again,
Here's an updated pic of my setup...they seem to be doing better than the first time that I've tried to grow. I've jiffied up a box around the dome so that they are still covered. Was wondering why they are stretching so much? Also wondering how long o should wait until putting into my hydroponic setup. I'm thinking when they have more leaves.. Still just watering with distilled water... Should I be adding anything or adjusting Ph?
Thank you again and heres a pic

Hi want you to see is at a minimum of four roots growing out of the starter plugs, check them by lifting the plugs up and looking for thems. When you have at least four of them growing out of the plugs they can be transplanted into your medium.

Get those puppies some light before they fall over, ditch thoughts of a humidity dome unless your RH is in the neighborhood of 8%, figure out what medium you're going to grow them in and bury them in it to about halfway up those stems, and start watering the roots instead of the leaves. Then, think about getting a fan to send gentle breezes their way to cause the normal kinds of movements that plants (yes, even seedlings) go through on a daily basis to aid in stem (etc.) development, transpiration (once they have a decent set of leaves), and general health.

They should be fine. Just treat them like any other plant. If you're unable to figure out a good light-to-plant distance with the "real" lighting, grab a couple 23-watt CFL bulbs, turn them sideways, and hang them an inch (or just a wee bit more, while they're so undeveloped - but if you do, watch out for stretching) above the seedlings. That fan producing the gentle breeze should carry heat away from the bulbs and prevent burning. It shouldn't take long for them to stop looking like sprouts and start looking like miniature cannabis plants, at which point you can feel some assurance that, if you put them under the big light and end up getting it a little too close before finding the optimum distance... it won't end up causing catastrophic harm.

Above is "IMHO," of course. But they're just plants, man. They've been popping up all over the place for many thousands of years without someone treating them like the most fragile things in the universe, lol - and have done just fine, since the species is obviously not extinct.

LOL. I came back to add "Get a second opinion on my words, because even I don't blindly trust everything I say ;) ," to my post. But... Okay, then.

Get those puppies some light before they fall over, ditch thoughts of a humidity dome unless your RH is in the neighborhood of 8%, figure out what medium you're going to grow them in and bury them in it to about halfway up those stems, and start watering the roots instead of the leaves. Then, think about getting a fan to send gentle breezes their way to cause the normal kinds of movements that plants (yes, even seedlings) go through on a daily basis to aid in stem (etc.) development, transpiration (once they have a decent set of leaves), and general health.

They should be fine. Just treat them like any other plant. If you're unable to figure out a good light-to-plant distance with the "real" lighting, grab a couple 23-watt CFL bulbs, turn them sideways, and hang them an inch (or just a wee bit more, while they're so undeveloped - but if you do, watch out for stretching) above the seedlings. That fan producing the gentle breeze should carry heat away from the bulbs and prevent burning. It shouldn't take long for them to stop looking like sprouts and start looking like miniature cannabis plants, at which point you can feel some assurance that, if you put them under the big light and end up getting it a little too close before finding the optimum distance... it won't end up causing catastrophic harm.

Above is "IMHO," of course. But they're just plants, man. They've been popping up all overd the place for many thousands of years without someone treating them like the most fragile things in the universe, lol - and have done just fine, since the species is obviously not extinct.
Perfect! Thanks for all your wisdom LOL :passitleft:
I have transplanted them into my hydro setup... I'm using clay pellets... They have been there for about a day. I have the pump going but am still watering them by hand as I feel as though the water is not getting to them as they are too small yet. Ill update you guys in a few days with some new pics. Excited to see actual leaves on my SODK seedling. Hopefully all goes up from here!

I have transplanted them into my hydro setup... I'm using clay pellets... They have been there for about a day. I have the pump going but am still watering them by hand as I feel as though the water is not getting to them as they are too small yet.

May take a little while for the root growth to take off, but it should happen quickly.

Ill update you guys in a few days with some new pics.

It can be helpful to create a grow journal thread in Journals in Progress . If you're interested, this thread provides instructions on how to do that:

Back
Top Bottom