Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Well, here it is.

The harvest report in this HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

Well, harvest is hell. No way to sugar coat it. This time it was 34 hours of actual trimming (Yes I kept exact track). Plus all the other hours of bullshit including cleaning and reconditioning the grow tent from disaster area to pristine. I rolled in and rolled up my sleeves...

The decision to chop this week instead of next was a very good one...I don't think these top colas could get any bigger and I was starting to think about bud rot since the humidity in this chamber is quite high. Here's how it looked:

As I dug into the first plant, I saw these colas were very dense and heavy, even at the second level, with real production even down into the third level. This means it could be extra huge. A typical cola:

So each plant got chopped, sectioned, and trimmed, about three hours apiece to do the whole process and hang it in the dry room. The cola stacks were amazing.

The new girls get used to real lights over the first few days, as I gradually slaughter their grandmothers.

Every plant is an endless pile. I can't believe how much there is.

At last, only one to go...

Before:

After:

So many hundreds of these...insanity became a real possibility somewhere along the way.

For most of the four days time loses all meaning and I gradually become a strange hobbit-ninja with a 2-inch pair of scissors, slashing my way to Mordor through an endless wall of green. But finally, the sky clears, and I gazed in amazement at the finished bounty...

Yes, it left me speechless. And chunky like I've never seen so the weight will be huge. And after four days up in the Great North with wifey (a very deserved getaway!) I hit the GH again on the way home to buck everything, weigh everything, and bag it up. I hope you are sitting down...

FIVE POUNDS TEN OUNCES. Plus three bags stuffed with live frozen lower-growth buds, to make awesome hash and live rosin! You may be wondering how such a thing is even possible from a 10x10 tent without CO2.

So am I. But it happened! :yahoo::theband:

So here I sit, tired and happy, back home again, the grow house just a memory again in another place. Hard to believe the future could hold anything better.

But Tent #2 has some amazing stuff going on...

Only 5 or 6 weeks to doing it all AGAIN...Yikes!

And the brand-new strain called SATURN 5 is just beginning its journey...

What new reaches of the Cannabis universe will we reach? I don't know, but stick around and we'll reach it together.

Thanks for being there!

Peace, Hyena
Damn, you are an absolute beast with your tent growing skills. What a harvest!!!!!!!!!!:adore::adore:

Highya HM,

Great work as always! The most beautiful sea of colas yet!! Cheers to you! A far distance from growing in the attic! Time between harvests must fly by! I know it would for me, lol!! Happy Smokin'

Great haul.

Now about this SATURN 5 ? Are these fems or regs? Seems like they were an out cross but my mind doesn't remember everything.

Thanks, Jim...

I'm not entirely sure which plant was the Daddy but I'm sure it's a cross between INCREDIBLE BULK and DELHI FRIEND, two amazing Indicas. All fems. One plant produced an astounding 330 grams and 5 of the new girls seeds came from that plant. Another produced 260 grams and 5 more are from her. Then 2 randoms but still that cross.

I'm completely stoked to see which phenos emerge and how they look. My plan is to clone them all, then with the knowledge of which plants were the best, I will run one more identical run but CLONE from the best and most special on a three-run MOTHER HUNT!

If I can identify a BEAST I might run it FOREVER. My new goal is to blow through SIX POUNDS.

Dreams...they're fun. Thanks for being there and stay tuned brother!

Peace, Hyena

Damn, you are an absolute beast with your tent growing skills. What a harvest!!!!!!!!!!:adore::adore:

Thanks, Stack...I'm on Cloud 9 at the moment!

SOOOOO much work and time. Nice when a good shot pays off.

The future is bright. Brighter than me. :rolleyes:

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

Great work as always! The most beautiful sea of colas yet!! Cheers to you! A far distance from growing in the attic! Time between harvests must fly by! I know it would for me, lol!! Happy Smokin'

I appreciate you my friend. If this new cross is the bomb I'll send you some seeds. By Christmas it should be exciting!!!

Peace, Hyena

Happy Tuesday!

Just another HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

My usual Monday visit was, for a change, not very eventful...just some basic maintenance.

The flowering Tent #2:

This variety continues to totally impress! I think I've kind of dialed it in, to be honest, but you can only grow what's in the bean (or the clone, as it were).

This time is so beautiful, everything still pristine and a sea of beautiful white blossoms everywhere...magical.

Everything this run is Incredible Bulk...all 12 are clones from the same plant so everything is the same, everywhere. It's a little unexciting to have no interesting developments, no new phenos, no worries...no stress...what the hell am I saying?? Clones are great! I LOVE easy!!

But that will all change in Tent #1, as the NEW STRAIN takes root...

This batch of 12 little plants have impressed me right from the start...they are amazingly stout and compact, with great structure and branching and extremely deep serrations on the leaf edges. All have taken to the new digs and they are in grow-like-hell mode.

There will be twelve different individuals before long...and the Ultimate Mother Hunt project is off and running! I plan to clone each one, creating an identical grow, then as these first 12 express and flower, I will hopefully find the Ultimate Mother and then clone from it in the second grow, to establish the new strain and maybe even a super one!

I can't wait to stand in the middle of 12 entirely new forms of Cannabis, ready to draw my shears and chop, the tension high, about to make my move...

I shouldn't get the cat high. Have a gr8 week!

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

Your grow is still impressive! Very lovely. I love The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly! I don't remember a cat in that scene! Great update as always. Very entertaining. So, what is your new strain? Happy Smokin'

Monday...ordinarily depressing, but not when there's a

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

Fall is in the air, but not inside the Grow Hacienda tents! It's always sooo balmy in there, in every season. I will be happy that my power bill will drop some for a few months though, now that outdoor temps are dropping. And here's what I saw when I looked in the blooming tent #2...

Yes it's amazing. I never get over that first look, that first big whiff of the incredibly fragrant air in that sea of impossibly white, almost luminous buds! The grower's delight, that secret garden of pleasure only we who grow this kind of dank understand...and all other stoners only dream of!

The development is pristine everywhere. Smell this:

I know you can. It's all the same plant from last grow and the one before so why does this run look even juicier than those? Probably just my stoned mind and heart talking, but if they're not better they sure aren't worse!

The purple starting to show up!

Oh man I had to get out of there or I would never leave, pulled some fan leaves and my arm was just totally sticky after ten minutes. Pulled a bud to dry, even though I know it's early, but I was surprised last run that 8 weeks total to chop produced so much so it shouldn't be more than 3 more weeks...yikes! Harvest. All that work and time, coming up again so soon...going to more productive Indica-dominant varieties that are also much faster has upped the demands of the labor part of all this. And I'm the labor.

Had to check in on the newest strain in Michigan: Saturn 5. Here's how these stout little monsters look:

They are SO tight, I pulled main fans again and topped a couple but these babies are looking like a very stout and healthy (so far) bunch. The ten from the two selected mothers look fabulous everywhere. The two additional randoms are one hearty, one smaller so we get to see diversity already. We'll see where that one goes but I'm on a mother hunt so that one's pretty much already out of the running unless it does something very special later.

Most are built like a brick house:

So that didn't need much work and I was out and back home in no time. Another week to just simmer and grow locked away in splendid isolation. It's hard to be so far away...I miss the attic days. I still am able to learn and try different things here, in fact so much better, and I love the scientific approach so an isolated lab is for the best. And science has its own challenges...

Yep, that's me for sure. I've forgotten more than most folks know... :ganjamon:

Peace, Hyena

Looking good Hyena, you need a good trim machine to help you out.

All things considered... a green brothers machine would be the real deal.

I’d have one now if I could justify it.

Rocking as always Hyena! Beautiful development and flowers! How tall above the tops of your buckets do you set your scrog net? Is it enough to crawl under if you wanted to nap with all those beautiful ladies:)?

Rocking as always Hyena! Beautiful development and flowers! How tall above the tops of your buckets do you set your scrog net? Is it enough to crawl under if you wanted to nap with all those beautiful ladies:)?

Hey Jesse, thanks!

I have the scrog at just above 2 feet, I top 'em when they just get above that. High enough to allow spreading of branches without damage and keeping all main branches below it until the area is basically full. I could crawl under but it's crowded, plus if I took a nap with them I'd probably get a sunburn!

Next big crop in three weeks!!

Peace, Hyena

How about this week's

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update?

The grow house is getting very stinky again!

I was on a golf trip to Northern Michigan for five days so stopped in on the way back and the blooms in tent #2 are off the hook! I was only there for maintenance and time was tight so I forgot to even take pictures of the massive hedge but it's massive...again!

From the look of things only after 6 weeks in flower, I'm thinking I might actually harvest in another week! I don't know how these could be better than the last crop, since they are all essentially branches from the same plant, but this one is incredible for being only this far along. Oh well, I guess I will put it under the microscope next Tuesday and we will see how the trichomes look.

I have a small fear of bud rot since I just averted it last time, and I think going a few days past 8 weeks was likely why it got started. Only the biggest, fattest colas are usually affected and the few times I have had it begin it was at harvest time and only affected a few buds, but I sure hate to lose even one!

Meanwhile, in Tent #1 the new Saturn 5 strain is interesting in several ways.

These 12 plants are all very similar, EXTREMELY stout and densely built, they all look like little brick houses.

So compact, I'm not sure what to expect. Not the vertical development (yet) that I'd like to see but solid is good I think so let's see how they look in another week.

Dropped the scrog frame...sorry, girls. I feel like I'm putting them in jail.

This will be fun! Another week for them to grow. We will be heading to Las Vegas for a weekend so next Tuesday will either mark one more week until harvest...or begin the harvest, otherwise known as Hell Week.

I'll be ready.

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

Love your update! The new little girls look really nice. Very thick, and very green!! Just the way you like! Great job, as always! Happy Smokin'

Back
Top Bottom