Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Highya HM,

Looking forward to your new adventure. I so loved adventure in my life. Blaze new trails, start a business, work things out; yes, adventures are exciting! Cheers to you and yours

Highya HM,

Looking forward to your new adventure. I so loved adventure in my life. Blaze new trails, start a business, work things out; yes, adventures are exciting! Cheers to you and yours

We shall do it together! Huge horizons...

Peace, Hyena

Looks yummy bud. Good job. I'm looking forward to the "just bought a house specifically to grow and I'm stoked. Time to take it to the next level, baby. " grow. Best wishes. :high-five:

Thanks Jim...gonna be all that and more I promise!! And we will all see everything together as it happens.

People are asking, "Why are you doing this?" Here's why...

Thanks for being here! Stay tuned!

Peace, Hyena

Hyena, you are the man, I’m excited to see your writings with a new view! I’m glad everything seems so well balanced in your world, balance is everything! Keep up everything you do, looking to the future brother!

I think we're splitting hairs talking about those differences considering how much more both Q boards and COBs deliver compared to HPS bulbs...the last two weeks I have learned a lot.

Pretty much decided on the HLG-600H Quantum Board LED it's nearly 20% higher output than a 1000 watt HPS at 620 true watts...insane. I love a lot of lights out there but this setup will literally cost me half of the others.

Sure appreciate all you guys giving me input on this.

Peace, Hyena
Yeah one thing about the Fluence Spydrx Plus.....it ain't cheap. Its paid for itself several times over already though....and thats in less than a year.

Hey congrats on the new spot and some frosty ass buds! I think you'll like the boards I have the little baby ones and they kill it

Happy Saturday!

How about a final

PROJECT 28 UPDATE!

It's all over in the secret grow lab...everything has been cut and dried and bucked and is just sitting in piles as I jar it up.

The final haul is fifteen ounces of absolutely frosty prime nugs. Plus another couple ounces of sugar trim.

The Blue Hyena came through again with lots of trichomes...

Every bud is dripping with stickiness. Even handling dry stems my fingers get coated and sticky immediately...soooo nice. I wish the other pound I should have got had actually happened but you live and learn and I learned more than a pound's worth so what the heck. I will settle for a pound of perfect nugs this time around, with visions of soon producing 5 or more pounds per run dancing in my head...

The polyploid bud is like a lollipop. My kind of lolly.

Might Cheech and Chong this one, and glue a bunch of papers together and roll the entire bud. Yes I might.

So with not a bang, but a whimper, Project 28 quietly closes her eyes. The lab is a mess, I'm kind of sad, and yet I feel the moment might represent a sort of graduation from amateur hobby grower to something more...just bought a house specifically to grow and I'm stoked. Time to take it to the next level, baby.

But for now, the best part of growing weed...mmmmm.

More to come, I will post the new journal location and begin a new adventure in a few days...one that will blow your mind!

That WILL be the last post. :rip: But soooo much to come! :yummy::ganjamon: THANK YOU to everyone who has occasionally read my scrawling insanity for the past 3 years. It's truly an honor to be your mad scientist, happy foole, and friend.

Peace, Hyena
Thanks Hyena, appreciate it.

Hi anyone and all...

PROJECT 28 FINAL REPORT!

The lab is dark and fully sanitized, ready to assume a new role in my master plan. But what is that plan?

Please be patient as the next amazing growing adventure is constructed. There's a little lag here since I am in the final stages of designing my next, FAR more fiendish plan! But here's a thumbnail sketch to get your juices flowing...

It has taken months to decide exactly what to attempt, after Michigan suddenly and rather unexpectedly got some sense and legalized cannabis across the board. I should feel grateful I suppose, though I feel more like "gratitude" for ending an unjust, racist, politically-motivated prohibition is misplaced but nevertheless here we are, finally, so let's just focus on doing something with it.

I spent much time studying California and Colorado in particular to ascertain what opportunities exist in this now-even-more-ridiculous landscape between legal and illegal states. The short answer is, a lot! It seems there are a ton of unforeseen consequences when you turn on a light switch in a bat cave...in many ways legalization has actually benefited the black market. Even stoners aren't stupid. Who wants to pay $400+ in many cases for an ounce of dank when you still know three guys who sell it for $200? Just so you can shop in a pot store? To pay for fancy packaging? Because you love to pay bunch of new taxes? Duh. In some ways legalization (initially) is the best thing that ever happened for the neighborhood dealer.

It seems that regulations grow even faster than weed, so now a bunch of people who don't smoke weed are creating the landscape for those who do. I can't imagine what could go wrong with that but amazingly, much has. In California the government has charged legal industry players so much $$$ to get in, those same folks are now screaming they do something about all the guerrilla growers who simply freeload on public land and sell their dope at prices that undercut the market and completely avoid taxes. So Governor Newsom is ordering a huge crackdown. Ironic that the reason illegal growers in Cali are finally getting busted is because weed became legal. :oops: Like I always said, when they legalize it, they will ruin it. And so far I'm right.

What I see in Colorado is a bit more to my liking. There are some who grow boutique batches of craft buds, supplying limited quantities for top-shelf dispensary distribution. That's the niche I think I could fill in Michigan, even though it doesn't really exist yet since the dispensaries aren't set up yet. With a house dedicated to the purpose, I could run two 10x10 tents and stagger a harvest every five of six weeks...maybe producing five pounds a run if I'm good enough. I really hope that may lead to an opportunity to supply the legal distribution chain in Michigan, which I will look for as the landscape of production and distribution develops. But I have plenty of friends in Ohio ready to take all I can bake. No taxes and higher prices, again, for now. So either way I win.

My best hope is at some point I can sell my budz legally in Michigan for the most money of any option. But even then if regulations become too onerous and/or the margin isn't comparable enough I'll remain an outlaw. Either way, the Hyena Grow House is on.

Buying a house isn't quick or easy. But it is what I have spent the last several weeks doing. We will close on the property on Friday and take possession 14 days after closing. So as we wait through the brief transition to having the property I am ordering some pieces and parts. There are a million things to do when you buy even a small house and it takes time so hopefully by the time I get the place I will have everything I need to start building the first room immediately.

The master plan:

I'm going to run two 10x10 tents and alternate the harvests to ideally time a crop every five weeks. I will be running three quantum board lights per tent, that combined will emit as much light as 4 1000 watt HID bulbs, while using the power of 2 1/2. Plus I will have a 12-bucket ebb and flow system (using 5 gallon buckets, whoa! )in each tent so we will be able to put up a pretty hefty hedge each run. I'm expecting to do 4-5 pounds of dank per crop! Naturally this is an estimate but others have done much more...now we shall see if the Hyena truly has the skillz. I'm stoked!

I plan to chronicle the entire build and might even expand into doing a YouTube channel because now that I will be in a growing environment that I don't have to worry about going to jail for, I want to share the stuff I have learned from three+ years of secret lab grows and help any and all to learn to raise the bar along with me. I sure still learn a lot from every grow but I am confident I'm ready to go to the next level. Let's do it together!

Sad that I have to grow dope to make a living...if only I was Lori Loughlin's kid and I could have gone to an elite school. But no, Mom couldn't buy my way onto the Crew team. And this was my entrance essay:

A grower I remain. Loads of new adventures soon, stay tuned and get ready for some amazing shit!

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

Sounds like a solid plan. Do you need permission from the state to grow that much? Here in Maine, it costs $100,000 to grow that big. Only so many licenses issued. Probably like most other states. I have confidence in your expertise as a grower, given better grow conditions. 6 lbs should be no problem. Is your grow house quite a ways from where you live? I'm sure you'll spend a lot of time there. Are you going to start another journal? That's all I can think of for now. Cheers

Highya HM,

Sounds like a solid plan. Do you need permission from the state to grow that much? Here in Maine, it costs $100,000 to grow that big. Only so many licenses issued. Probably like most other states. I have confidence in your expertise as a grower, given better grow conditions. 6 lbs should be no problem. Is your grow house quite a ways from where you live? I'm sure you'll spend a lot of time there. Are you going to start another journal? That's all I can think of for now. Cheers
What are your limits for the grows in your state? Plant count? Limit of weed allowed? Do they do random visits?

We can grow 3/person. Used to be 6, but I heard it changed. I've never heard anyone getting busted for small amounts (12 plants). With a med card, we can grow 6/person. About $70 for the card. But the "authorities" don't check on those with a med card. I still don't take chances, as I only grow for myself. Everything seems pretty relaxed here until the lawmakers can agree on how they want to structure everything. I still can't find written laws from the state house.

My answers are in red, guys

Bode said: Sounds like a solid plan. Do you need permission from the state to grow that much?
Nope...you get to grow up to 12 plants. TECHNICALLY 12 per "household" though I'm going to play dumb until further notice and grow 24 (12 for me and 12 for my wife). The fine for that is nothing really and I can't imagine there are goon squads of cops knocking on doors to count cannabis plants at random, especially when nobody knows they are even there.

Here in Maine, it costs $100,000 to grow that big. Only so many licenses issued. Probably like most other states.
Licensing in Michigan between "caregivers" (growers for med patients) and the State is a reality and maybe there's some enforcement on plant counts for licensed caregivers, I don't know. Being a caregiver probably involves giving some kind of care (yuck) and also you have to give them most of the weed...I don't see a way to make much money even though you could grow up to 72 plants in that scenario :oops: I would rather grow 24, keep a low profile and if there's ever any enforcement issue, move the other 12 to our other house in Michigan which would be my option.

I have confidence in your expertise as a grower, given better grow conditions. Thanks bro 6 lbs should be no problem. God I hope that's true it seems impossibly high to me! Is your grow house quite a ways from where you live? 2 1/2 hour drive all freeway so not bad... I'm sure you'll spend a lot of time there. I plan to come up twice a week after everything is humming though the initial build might take weeks. Are you going to start another journal? You bet. I will end this and begin the next in a week or so! That's all I can think of for now. Cheers Thanks bro.

Jgrowlove said: What are your limits for the grows in your state? Plant count? The limit of 12 is the highest of all legal states and twice the next largest. Sweet, since I think I might be able to do a lot with 12 plants...:morenutes:We will see if I can learn to do enough to make this worthwhile I guess! Limit of weed allowed? The statute says "anything over 2 1/2 ounces" must be "kept in a separate, secured and locked area" which to me says "all you can grow!" as long as it's in a locked room. Yes, these laws are pretty much the way I would have written them! Woo Hoo!! Do they do random visits? I can't imagine that is something that would be a law enforcement priority, really...maybe the caregivers might get checked on since they know who most of them are and maybe they have a reason to check on those relationships but everyone in Michigan can now grow 12 plants, so it seems like the odds of cops getting in my grill for any reason except a complaint is unlikely. And I will endeavor to get no complaints.

I will sit down next week and end this journal and begin the next one properly. Very excited. Hope to see many of you there to begin a story that will amaze!

Peace, Hyena

Highya again,

I was going to mention about the caregivers here. I don't know what is required for the "caregiver status", but here a patient can give their med card to a caregiver, and the caregiver can grow their plants X6. Up to six patients times 6 plants each. Plus your own (I think). So that is an option. Cheers

I just picked up a system like this myself - which one did you choose, or are you going full on DIY?

I would love to just go with the same system I developed in my lab but the largest Dutch buckets are under 3 gallons...I have to have 5 gallon pots to make plants that will take full advantage of the space.

I decided on a straight ebb and flow system. RDWC might be the overall best thing but it adds a layer of complexity and also risk to have a continuously recirculating system compared to a straight ebb and flow especially when I can only check in a couple times a week.

I'm going for nearly full automation and so a straight ebb and flow, 12-bucket system using 3/4 inch thick-sided, non-kinking tubing that cycles 4 times a day is the most reliable IMHO.

Well, after a lot of research I chose the CLASS 5 EBB AND FLOW 5-GALLON SYSTEM and here's why. It has low profile 5 gallon buckets which is ideal for me. It uses a better grade of tubing than the others. Its design is as good as any and better than most. And since I am looking for the highest possible reliability and best fit for my situation they had the most to offer. I ordered 2 12-plant full setups from HTG Supply.

So Quantum boards for light, and an ebb-and-flow system, using huge grow tents. Nothing like going with three major things you have never used when you start and important project, I guess. :oops: But in my own ultra-confident way I am even more excited about the challenge of learning all new tech along with everything else. This is a project with a three-year term, and I plan to take a three-year view of everything. No longer a hobby, this next level will show whether I can turn ability to cook into a successful restaurant and that will require a lot of learning. Hopefully not too much!

Stay tuned my friend.

Peace, Hyena

California definitely has some problems with money making all the plays.

Good Luck Hyena :thumb: 24 plants will be a nice handful to manage without getting too crazy. I'm sure you have a handful of strains you're going to run. Any selections so far? It sounds like you'll have fun.

Well, I have decided on huge-yielding, serious strains for my first effort at real weight...

White Widow from Seedsman
Bud Bud Bling Tingz (dumbest strain name ever but looks amazing) from Dr. Krippling
Super Bud from Greenhouse Seeds (Big Bud x Skunk)

These are medium plants with huge yields that all mature relatively the same, the best I can discern from available descriptions in the vast landscape of strains anyway, we'll see is what I really say. We'll see!

Hang with me, we closed on the house last Friday and can first take possession on the 29th. Two weeks to wait...and buy stuff...and dream.

Peace, Hyena

Back
Top Bottom