Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Hello whomever is still out there...

I'm back from vacationing and here with a

HYENA HOUSE REPORT!

The Hyena House is now a reality...I took final possession of the place a couple weeks ago then immediately went on a Caribbean cruise but I needed time for all the stuff I ordered to get here anyway. So now I am turning my efforts to building the thing. Which won't be easy! Imagine a totally empty house, then imagine the thing with two complete grow rooms operating at full capacity...now imagine how much freaking work it will take one guy to go from one to the other! By my best guess it might take six weeks until I have anything growing there considering I live almost three hours away but I'm beginning to work it all out.

I already got the biggest thing out of the way which was an electrician evaluating my electric system and verifying everything is sound, and also installing dedicated 50-amp 240v circuit which I will use to distribute primary power for lights in both rooms. 50 amps...so cool. I'm going to light the Earth.

Wednesday I will take the first load of stuff up there...furniture, supplies, and equipment for the first grow room. I have two 12-pot ebb-and-flow systems with 5 gallon pots so I think I will be able to produce some pretty good sized plants, and some pretty good weight.

Have patience as this build develops, I will post a lot of pictures and various how-I-did-its as I construct the system in each room but it may take a couple months even, I don't know what I don't know yet so realism is the guideline here. But I hope to have a monster crop going before long. Wednesday will be the first trip!

Here's a taste of what we experienced in the Caribbean...

It was soooo beautiful, especially since I took about 30 joints of America's top shit with me. I was smoking all week, mainly in my cabin bathroom to keep the smell down, but our cabin steward was cool so no worries. Several times I pulled out a hog leg and fired it up with Rasta-looking dudes on various islands, and another couple times my vape pen, literally smoking all these guys to the floor every time. I got a four-man Rasta band so high they had trouble playing their next set...think how high you have to be to fuck up Bob Marley. :oops: My tolerance must be astronomical to do that and I was rather surprised but it happened, now that I think about it I suppose I probably need rehab. But the way I see it there has to be an ambassador for the cannabis culture...and that would be me. Just doing my job for mankind. Spreading the love all around the world mon. You're welcome. :Rasta:

I even saw some wildlife...this is the native lizard of Barbados:

I liked him but he kept double-hitting the joint...party foul, lizard.

So here we go with this epic project. Knuckles cracking. Truck warming up. Stay tuned.

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

Cute Iguana!

I've done several projects (not associated with hydroponics) of this magnitude. And this always my favorite part. Sounds like you're right on track. I love a beach. Used to live in Clearwater.

Hanging for details. Cheers

Yeah Brother! Are you going to start a new journal, or can we just keep our eyes glued right here?

Glad you had a blast on vacation, it looks magnificent. And to outsmoke the band, now that’s an achievement:)

Cheers Hyena!

Yeah Brother! Are you going to start a new journal, or can we just keep our eyes glued right here?

Glad you had a blast on vacation, it looks magnificent. And to outsmoke the band, now that’s an achievement:)

Cheers Hyena!

Keep it here bro, just going to keep this journal going and morph right into the Hyena Grow House...which should become a novel ere long...

This will be a marathon rather than a sprint but we're in it for the distance. Thanks for being here. Stay tuned!

Peace, Hyena

HyeaHM,

I'm on, doing the same thing. Happy 420 day to you and yours as well. Have you dropped any beans yet? Cheers

HyeaHM,

I'm on, doing the same thing. Happy 420 day to you and yours as well. Have you dropped any beans yet? Cheers

Haven't started the new kids quite yet but this week probably, as I am looking at 3-4 days of work (I estimate, at least) just to get everything set up and tested...in the first room. Going up today with a load of stuff.

Going to be sweet! Have a high 420 bud!

Peace, Hyena

I'm soooo fucking high...I literally think this is the funniest thing I ever saw. Happy 420.

Happy Easter!

Here's the official first installment of

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE!

Karma. The circular cosmic determiner of fate. The end result of everything and the reason for everything. The equalizer.

Been feeling a lot of good Karma this weekend.

From my teenage years I have loved cannabis and sought to grow it. I had success way back then, at least to the embryonic level of knowledge I possessed about plants and growing them, an ounce or two of larfy buds from a five-foot plant kind of success. It wasn't much. But it felt like a huge haul. More than anything I fell in love with the feeling of incredible achievement and satisfaction you get from growing your own weed. Every joint of your own weed is special because you made it...and the time and effort it takes, even to do it rather poorly, is a lot of what makes it so special.

Even though it got us really high, my early weed efforts produced mostly leafy, harsh-smoking buds and so we always wondered and talked in hushed tones about the mysterious wizards who grew the extra-awesome dank that occasionally became available from far-off exotic places like Maui and Northern Cali. The stuff in High Times centerfolds seemed other-worldly, yet every now and then someone would pull out a little bud that proved yes, such incredible dank did indeed exist. It was like a sacrament to us. Those sticky, skunky buds put anything I ever grew to shame and I frequently dreamed I could one day be privy to the secrets of the master growers.

Time passes so fast. Thirty years slips by. Then four years ago life reached a place where I decided to put a lifetime dream in motion and began to quietly study the science and art of growing cannabis to its full potential. Secretly, for over six months, I read and absorbed much of what has been written on the subject, then decided to construct a small hidden laboratory where I could experiment and explore what I was learning. Months were spent making secret trips up into my attic, all without the knowledge of my wife and family. Building the lab became a secret life.

Finally it was finished, and I began a first run and it progressed from there very quickly...my first effort only using a total of 1,000 watts produced over two pounds of primo bud. I remember cutting down that first amazing project and marveling at the feel and smell of huge, fresh bud-covered branches of impossibly fragrant weed everywhere...a micro-world so beautiful, it was like all those centerfolds in my boyhood dreams come to life in Technicolor and I was in the middle of it. No longer a dream! I saw cannabis in a whole new way. And as I imagined the possibilities a whole new dream was born.

More than three years pass, and seven runs later, so much learned. Successes and some failures. The latter more valuable to be honest. Overall I felt ready to try this on a larger scale but could never take the risk...I was prepared to hold fantasies of a larger effort in my heart forever, as a fond but impossible dream. And suddenly, unexpectedly, out of the blue, Michigan legalizes cannabis! Boom! The opportunity to realize that next, greatest dream falls straight into my lap. Karma?

At this point the inescapable reality that cannabis isn't going away, combined with the landscape of full legality and black market only separated by a line on the ground, creates huge opportunity for someone who lives in the right place and has the skills to grow top-quality buds. That person would seem to be me. They Hyena Grow House was born.

It was deliciously appropriate that it was on 4/20 that I took my first load of grow supplies, furniture, and equipment to the new house. I look at this the same as if it was a new part-time job that I have to drive to twice a week...I guess it really is...so 4/20 was my first official day at work!

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." -Wise Asian

The best place to start is at the beginning. Grow room number one looks like this:

It is plenty big enough for the 10x10 tent that will soon be going up.

A 12-bucket ebb and flow system ready to assemble...

With a nice big closet for all the equipment and supplies...note the three awesome Quantum boards I have in the corner...

The coolest thing might be the only item I found overlooked by the previous owners, hidden in a crevice in a closet: a tiny gold-filled antique pocket watch. It is now the official wall clock in the Hyena Grow House:

Appropriately...

Hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day! :oops: In here it will always be 4:20!

So I finally got everything unloaded and in the house and then made the almost 3-hour drive home...tired, but brimming with excitement and anticipation about all the fun to come. I hope I can do this...it's going to be the challenge of a lifetime. But I'm all in at this point. Karma speaks. I'm all in. The circle continues...

So Happy Easter. I'm not religious so it has a slightly different meaning for me...

Peace, Hyena

How appropriate, HM, to start a project of this magnitude on 4/20! You have the makings of a great start, that's for sure! I'm still excited for you, man. That's so cool. Wish I was in the area to lend a hand. Cheers

Indeed, this shall be a great chapter in the book of Hyena! Looking forward to the shenanigans.

Shenanigans there shall be!! The next four-five months will be fun!

Peace, Hyena

Good morning mr.Mercia I do believe you are correct... :rofl::rofl::rofl: Looking forward to your new adventures.... Happy Easter from South Africa .......:snowboating:

It's GREAT to have a friend from South Africa! I appreciate you Smeeg!

Now put some pants on!

Peace, Hyena

Happy Thursday! It's a

HYENA GROW HOUSE report!

Well, going up to the Grow House tomorrow to work on it for three days...

It's been nail-biting waiting for this weekend to come, the time I can finally begin this project! This endeavor (compared with anything I've done before anyway) has been a lifetime dream and now, finally, the chance to start to build it.

I have no timetable because I know how many unforseen things crop up whenever one is in a new landscape, and I'm reasonably certain it won't be a snap for one guy to put up a 10x10 tent and all the goodies that follow. Right now it's a bunch of stuff in boxes, and some empty rooms. I will have to figure out everything I need for a complete system in two rooms, including power distribution, lighting, 2 fully automated ebb-and-flow systems, and total environmental control that can self-regulate for up to a week at a time. Plus security. All before I can grow anything. Jeezus, it's like building an ark. So the timetable is...when it's done, it's done. Let's see how far we get this weekend.

Meanwhile, at home my now not-so-secret lab still has value...I'm assigning the task of starting plants and getting them to perhaps 8-12 inches in the lab since that takes TLC and daily tending. I will modify my setup to accommodate 12 units instead of the 9 it now has. I'm going to use a flood table and start them in 1-gallon water jugs, top-watering automatically 4 times a day like I do now, just allowing the overflow to go into the flood table and drain back. Putting a few holes in the sides of each jug about an inch above the bottom will allow the overflow to drain out but retain an inch of standing liquid much like my Dutch pots do now. I think this will be an easy mod that will allow my lab to be a nice starting place. And now that wifey knows about it I can get away with putting an AC unit in or something, don't know what yet but hopefully can achieve sufficient environmental control to use it year-round. Fortunately young plants do quite well in up to 90+ degrees, I've done it multiple times. So a lot more leeway which might make it feasible.

A lot of work ahead today to get everything straight and go out of town. Don't know the options for internet there, we don't have any in the house yet so not sure if I will update until Monday but if I can I will.

Work to do. Have a great weekend!

Peace, Hyena

Back
Top Bottom