Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Highya HM,

Great idea for the attic nursery. Starting things at home is much better. How often will you need to start seedlings in a year? Too hot in summer, too cold in winter? Just questions I'm sure you've raised yourself. Things are getting good! Cheers

Great question my friend...my attic temps will swing between as high as 90+ and as low as upper 50s...but plants up to a foot can handle it all and then some. I have been amazed at how hardy baby cannabis is. But after that, my experience has been they all need a pretty stable environment for the rest of the way to grow right.

I plan to run as many as 10 crops per year, 100+ total plants. If I can get the whole thing down to a science. We'll see...

Peace, Hyena

Yeah but he had me looking at seed stores to look at one of his choices and was lucky to get back before I spent any money. :bongrip:

I like all three varieties...White Widow is a given. Super Bud and "Big Bud Bling Tings" have awesome pedigrees even though the last one sounds kind of gay. But I'm not prejudiced, no sir...I smoke 'em all!

=7
Peace, Hyena

1 veg, 1 flower or 2 flower and veg at home attic?

Planning to get them somewhere between 8-12 inches here in the original lab then run them up there and put them into the tent. Veg until ready then flip. Eventually get to where there's a harvest every 5-6 weeks.

Peace, Hyena

It's Saturday night! Hope you are partying and having fun!

Meanwhile, for when you sober up, here's a

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE UPDATE!

Things are going! It's been quite a week so here's the details...

The seeds were busy sprouting so I went up to the grow house Wednesday to do more work. It's Spring so it's a great time to be a lawn and the grow house lawn (and the yard in general) needed serious work. I wasn't expecting to spend almost the entire half day I had on yard work but it turned out to be even more than that. The place had serious weed beds and the lawn was a dandelion farm. All the properties around me are very well kept and I can't afford to be that crappy yard guy so I went to work. I mowed, trimmed, edged, weed whacked, ground cleared, and laid 17 bags of mulch. When I crawled into bed the place looked fabulous. I was dead.

The next morning I sprayed the lawn and finished the details. Place looks awesome. Everybody around here has a dog so multiple neighbors happened by and everybody complimented the look. Yes. Now I'm that nice man who bought Edna's place. Hide in plain sight.

So I had a little time left to work on the power which is my next step. The Titan control box I got needs a plug I can't find so I left the job at that point and came home. I'll get an electrician where I live to put the correct plug on and then run conduit next trip up. Power supply is a lot more challenging when you use 240 volts...you could get killed or burn down your house, among other things. The efficiency will be worth taking my time. Plus I have probably three more weeks before I have to transplant the girls.

Speaking of the girls, let's meet them!

13 out of 15 seeds sprouted normally...two did weird things and ended up being unviable. I need 12 so we're still good, not by much but good. I was going to use 1-gallon milk containers and stuff but after constructing a complicated prototype...it suddenly occurred to me to keep this simple and repeatable.

I turned to standard 1-gallon containers and 1-gallon paint strainers which fit simply and snugly.

Fill with Perlite and we are ready to go. I hastily recut some hose segments and got the supply lines to the right lengths. Perfect!

The nifty adjustable valves allow me to equalize all the water flow rates. I set the electronic timer to water twice a day for five minutes each time, which should deliver plenty of water for these little girls. Then it was time to transplant them. They looked pretty healthy even though they're a bit slender compared to my usual efforts, though that will change very soon...

Into each pot and everything adjusted...

Then the new nursery lab setup is complete! We are off to the races baby! I added one more Mars 300 for a total of four, which should be enough for this first month. Here's how it all looks...

All finished so I can turn to construction in the grow house once more. I will probably go up Wednesday again. Sooooo much to do! God what a project. But fun!

That's the update. My emotions are very hard to control even at this early stage, I'm so excited and also so challenged, so I turn to my only true friend...

Smoking a fatty of Blue Hyena, dreaming of the ultimate grow room tantalizingly within reach...it will look like this so soon!

But first, so much more to do. Have a great next few days!

Peace, Hyena

@Hyena Merica transitioning from Perlite/Vermiculite to hydroton in flower? Makes transplanting messy and p.i.t.a. Next round, and going forward, I'll be transplanting the plugs directly into hydroton.

I think I'm only 3-4 weeks in to my setup, and the difference in the 5 gal. growth vs the 3 gal. growth (bato buckets) was pronounced. If I can, I would strongly suggest you do 3/4" pvc vs the tubing that comes with the setup, especially if this is going to be an ongoing thing.

Don't get me wrong... It works, and makes installation go by pretty quickly, but I almost immediately saw the rework in my future.

Love keeping up with your new project, the story unfolding in classic Hyena fashion! :popcorn:

@Hyena Merica transitioning from Perlite/Vermiculite to hydroton in flower? Makes transplanting messy and p.i.t.a. Next round, and going forward, I'll be transplanting the plugs directly into hydroton.

I think I'm only 3-4 weeks in to my setup, and the difference in the 5 gal. growth vs the 3 gal. growth (bato buckets) was pronounced. If I can, I would strongly suggest you do 3/4" pvc vs the tubing that comes with the setup, especially if this is going to be an ongoing thing.

Don't get me wrong... It works, and makes installation go by pretty quickly, but I almost immediately saw the rework in my future.

Love keeping up with your new project, the story unfolding in classic Hyena fashion! :popcorn:

Thanks Lat, good points brother...I use 100% Perlite the whole way, so transplanting these from 1 gal to 5 gal buckets will be easy since I use these nifty paint strainers and I just lift everything gently out with the strainer and just set it into the new bucket and add more Perlite. The strainer keeps everything in a nice ball. Perlite doesn't harm roots as much as Hydroton does when it shifts so no ill effects noticed usually. I will use 5 gallon strainers in the 5 gallon buckets. Also regarding the tubing, my ebb-and-flow setup uses 3/4 diameter tubing already so clogs won't be as big a risk. Paint strainer nylon mesh only lets the tiniest particles through so there shouldn't be any problem with ambient chunks of aggregate in the system.

I'm sort of proving this approach as I go...we'll see what unforseen problems appear. As always.

Peace, Hyena

Highyas HM,

Looks like a solid plan. Based on your previous grows, you shouldn't have to worry at all about getting your crop finished. Basically looks like when your grow house is set up, maintenance should be a breeze, nailing down unforseen problems, and a few tweaks here and there. Great plan all around! Yeah, and much fun to execute! Cheers

I use 100% Perlite the whole way

Perlite likes to float when you flood/drain, I discovered this the "hard" way when I first transitioned over as I watched it spill over the buckets on the first test 'flood' run. Quite a bit different behavior than I was used to in the top-feed dutch bucket setup. Hopefully my trials and tribulations can help you avoid a couple things and pay back the knowledge you've given me oh-so-many times.

my ebb-and-flow setup uses 3/4 diameter tubing already so clogs won't be as big a risk

I should have been more clear - clogs weren't the issue; The slip fit connections vs. pvc with cement was. I spent several hours after the initial install chasing drip leaks, even when everything felt snug and visually appeared to be well seated. I've also noticed the flexible tubing gets softer under the grow lighting (assumedly because it's black and not very thick-walled compared to a rigid white pvc). I do not have any leaks right now, but they're things I noticed and mentally noted I would most definitely have to fix later.

protip: do a flood cycle and let it sit there for an hour or two before draining.

I

Perlite likes to float when you flood/drain, I discovered this the "hard" way when I first transitioned over as I watched it spill over the buckets on the first test 'flood' run. Quite a bit different behavior than I was used to in the top-feed dutch bucket setup. Hopefully my trials and tribulations can help you avoid a couple things and pay back the knowledge you've given me oh-so-many times.

I should have been more clear - clogs weren't the issue; The slip fit connections vs. pvc with cement was. I spent several hours after the initial install chasing drip leaks, even when everything felt snug and visually appeared to be well seated. I've also noticed the flexible tubing gets softer under the grow lighting (assumedly because it's black and not very thick-walled compared to a rigid white pvc). I do not have any leaks right now, but they're things I noticed and mentally noted I would most definitely have to fix later.

protip: do a flood cycle and let it sit there for an hour or two before draining.

Again, good points...I plan to cement all hose/tubing connections. I'm doing a build for the long term here and can't afford anything to open up due to the factors you mentioned.

I guess I'll have to have a hard lid in each bucket to contain the vertical movement of the perlite...there are good-sized inner "buckets" of something like coco but more durable that I might be able to affix to. Or, maybe bunch the upper elastic of the paint strainers around the plant stem. Or go with hydroton. I'm open to doing this the best way. Will have to experiment. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Peace, Hyena

Here's a mid-week

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE UPDATE!

Frankly, we're a long way from a grow house but working on it...

In the lab, the little babies are all doing great...

I still didn't feel I had the light intensity I wanted in there so I added a 3-COB light I got somewhere, I don't remember where, but it's been laying around. As you can see it's perfect for the additional lighting I need. Now these 12 babies will be getting pro-level lumens. Wow, those COBs put out some light.

They all look good. The beauty of new life...like a gem.

So here they are in their 12th day since being seeds in packets.

Does this look like the basis for 5 pounds of dank?

Does to me!

Now it looks like Friday will be the next trip up to the Grow House. Lots of work to do, there and here. Plus I have a real life, too...the days are getting longer but still too short. I'm literally spent most evenings, with only enough strength to drink six beers and smoke multiple joints. And eat.

I'll muddle through.

Peace, Hyena

Back
Top Bottom