Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Oh Lord help me...it's another

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

Well...wifey and I went up to the Grow Haus Sunday morning. Leaving at 6 am, I was full of coffee and excitement, with just a touch of apprehension since I had yet to see the full Phase One show in action.

I was confident I had everything right. I took my time on this build and it should be flawless. Three hours of driving and finally pulled into the driveway. The house wasn't a pile of ashes...so far so good.

Entering the grow room I glanced over at the one ventilation opening in the tent. A chill went through me...no lights on, and right now they should be blazing. I unzipped the tent and there everybody was, seemingly just fine. But I had an eerie sense something was wrong. The lights should have been on until noon and it was only 9 am. The plants looked fine except I noticed the centers of every one were considerably lighter green than the dark green hues everywhere else. I figured the PH probably drifted pretty high in five days and ascribed it probably to something like that.

I had to figure out what happened so I went into the main control room and looked at the timers. They both seemed fine, they looked the same as when I left them a week ago. Then it hit me...they WERE the same. The exact same. The power switch for the power strip was not on! Shit!! :oops::eek::rip:

So my plants have gone 6 days in total darkness. Brifly putting aside the feeling of abject stupidity, I quickly examined the plants. Other than all the little centers being a lot lighter green, the plants look amazingly great. Obviously nature might produce such a phenomenon occasionally, maybe a five or six-day storm system or something but it is surprising how apparently well they took it. I reset the timers and balanced the reservoir. Maybe it will all be all right.

At least my ebb-and-flow system is fully operational...it filled and drained 27 times by my count and not a drop of leakage anywhere! In fact, other than the smallest possible oversight (leaving lights off for a freaking week) I felt extremely pleased that my build is so good. This system is sound and we are off to the races, albeit a week later than we planned. Hey. what's a week anyway?

Things can always be a lot worse...if such a thing had happened during flowering it would have cost me a month and probably a lot of yield...this time it was simply a hiccup I hope. If they all regain their dark color in a few days and get growing again we'll be fine. Hell, stupidity is often unaffordable, so this time the small price of a week's growth is probably a bargain. I sat burning a J of Blueberry from two crops ago and chuckling at myself. Some big-time grower I am...I can't even remember to turn on the lights! :laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo:

I can't even share a picture because I left my phone on the table up there. I'm returning tomorrow morning to begin the build on Phase Two. And probably return a lot of calls...

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

At least, you proved you belong to the human race with the rest of us, lol. I did something similar one time. Took a plant from the veg light and put it in the dark by mistake. It was there for a month. When I discovered it, it looked like it did when I put it there. That's the kind of thing you could nail down with a video surveillance connection. But, I'm sure you've already figured out something you want to do to keep up with this. Glad it wasn't more serious than that. Cheers

I would’ve expected they’d be a lot worse. As long as they’re still alive, I’m sure they will eventually thrive. I wonder if they’ll need to go through a revegging period or something. I couldn’t go a whole day without visiting my garden without the cameras in my tents.

Yep, I thought they would be a lot worse. I'm going up tomorrow to start the build for Phase 2 and I hope to see some darkening of the chlorophyll in the new-growth areas. As for revegging...I guess they're already vegging, so maybe no issue...? We'll see!

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

At least, you proved you belong to the human race with the rest of us, lol. I did something similar one time. Took a plant from the veg light and put it in the dark by mistake. It was there for a month. When I discovered it, it looked like it did when I put it there. That's the kind of thing you could nail down with a video surveillance connection. But, I'm sure you've already figured out something you want to do to keep up with this. Glad it wasn't more serious than that. Cheers

Thanks amigo, I will be installing an internet connection soon and then options for live monitoring are in play. Until then I guess I just have to remember to turn all things to "ON"...

Peace, Hyena

Howdy! It's another

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

When we last saw our hero he was mightily worried that he had completely fucked up his grow...he could hardly wait to return just hoping and praying there would be no lasting damage from nearly a week without light...

There wasn't. :Rasta:

Here's how they looked after a week of darkness...

All the centers were light green and there hadn't been much growth.

The culprit:

Always turn on the power, people. Sheesh.

Anyway, after only two days...

Honestly, it's hard to even tell anything happened. I feel lucky. Thanks, Nature. :adore:

I could finally assess the temperatures and such now that the lights had been on...it gets hot but not too bad really. Mid 80s without any A/C. I turned on the central air and set it for 70. If it keeps the overall place there at least I'll have a reliable constant temp range in the tent that's manageable. If I need to I can lower it more but hopefully this is a good zone. I'll take 80 if I can maintain it. After all, it's originally a tropical plant, right?

So res temps are also 80 and that's too high. So off to the hydro store (a great one is literally 1/2 mile from the house...sweet) for a 1/4 HP chiller. Not the most inexpensive little extra but worth it if it can keep 50 gallons of goo at 67 degrees. I plumbed it all in and within just a matter of minutes the res temp was starting to drop. Since I simply installed and then left a totally unfamiliar piece of technology I sure hope their product is reliable. I won't be able to come back for a couple days and I'll be anxious to see if this thing really works. It has a little bit of an uphill battle since hot bright lights are in there but we'll see. I also got a water heater insulating "blanket" which I plan to cut to fit the 55-gallon reservoir, that should help keep the res easier to cool. I didn't do it yet because I'm collecting data about everything I can right now and the difference in the reading might be noticeable once it goes on. I'm trying to learn absolutely everything I can this first run but it's a lot. All things in time I suppose.

I then turned my sights on room number 2.

Before I left this morning this room had a completely constructed and installed 10x10 grow tent, plus a custom exhaust system from tent to attic vents. Yes, I am a busy Hyena my friends. With sore paws for sure at the moment.

Now in a few days I'll return to monitor progress on these systems. I reached out to Grower's Lights by email but they're either too busy to hit me back or maybe really stoned. Either way, not sure exactly how long it might take to get my next three Quantum Boards but I'm hoping it's under three weeks because tomorrow I might just drop beans into water for run #2...!

Meanwhile, the doctor says smoking so much pot might be bad for me. I said how? He said well, you know, smoking in general is bad. I said, okay, what about edibles? He said, well, that's better than smoking but I still can't recommend it. I said, vapes? He shook his head. Silence. Just the stare with a slight frown.

That's when I realized. I am going to die.

See Ya,

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

Sure is working better than the attic!! Looks like you're getting the kinks out. Ladies look superb, temps are controlled, power is on, stellar grow house!. Such a monumental and great job! Cheers

Highya HM,

Sure is working better than the attic!! Looks like you're getting the kinks out. Ladies look superb, temps are controlled, power is on, stellar grow house!. Such a monumental and great job! Cheers

Nothing coming easy here but I'm pretty sure I have it running okay, should be just a couple week's growth away from the first flip!

Peace, Hyena

Morning mr.Hyena never a dull moment with you sir...........

Thanks Smeegs, glad you're here! Sadly, most of the excitement in my world comes from my own fuckups...but it sure is exciting! More to come!

Dude...You gonna pass that thing?

Peace, Hyena

plants look amazing :bravo::bongrip::nomo:

Thanks Jet...after what I've already put them through it's a wonder...mostly it's because cannabis is a seriously hardy plant. I'm astounded a week in the dark didn't ruin them but they seem to be right back to growing. Stay tuned, this is going to get good!

Peace, Hyena

They’re tough as nails in veg mode.

I agree Penny...when I think about the extremes of temperature I put some of my grows through in that attic...never had a single plant die though some were less potent because they flowered in high heat. But in veg it's simply amazing what you can do to them and they keep on truckin'...

Thank God.

Peace, Hyena

Hey Hyena....new setup looks awesome man! Sorry to hear about the light issue. I always have the fear whenever I touch any of my settings...mostly cause I'm high when I am down there and even when I think I set it right, I didn't. Thats not true, one out of five times I might get it right, the rest I fuck it up.

Glad to hear that they took it on the chin and didn't flinch. Amazing plants for sure. I always laugh when I hear someone freaking out cause their grow tent got up to 87 degrees and they aren't sure the plant will survive :rofl:. Probably not cause you know, nature ever gets up in the 90s or higher! Someone's journal...hell could have been you, I can't keep them straight anymore....was hitting temps in veg of 110. Not something I would recommend...but they had minimal negative effects from that high of temps.

Looking forward to Act 2!

Yeah in the old house, if I didn't run AC in the room, I would be in the 90s....they actually seemed happier than in the low 70s to me. I find 80-85 to be where they do best in my soil. Now that I am growing the basement...temps are a bit low for my liking.

Back
Top Bottom