Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Hey Hyman (hee hee) I’m pleased to report that your calendar was delivered today at last! Man, there are some beautiful plates in it. The entrance to my little garden is through my music room where I’m proudly going to hang this. It’ll help me to keep track of where various plants are at, and provide delicious eye candy too.
Chur (as we say in distant nz. It’s our downspoken way of saying :yahoo::thanks:).
Hope your birthday was all that and happy too :love:
I see you making a cracking start on next year’s calendar already there. You grow some smashing cannabis, sir!
Settling in for the tale of your latest harvest. Everyone getting their popcorn and ice creams and finding a seat. Don’t turn off your cell phones!
Happy new year to ya, Hyena peeps :ciao:

Hey Hyman (hee hee) I’m pleased to report that your calendar was delivered today at last! Man, there are some beautiful plates in it. The entrance to my little garden is through my music room where I’m proudly going to hang this. It’ll help me to keep track of where various plants are at, and provide delicious eye candy too.
Chur (as we say in distant nz. It’s our downspoken way of saying :yahoo::thanks:).
Hope your birthday was all that and happy too :love:
I see you making a cracking start on next year’s calendar already there. You grow some smashing cannabis, sir!
Settling in for the tale of your latest harvest. Everyone getting their popcorn and ice creams and finding a seat. Don’t turn off your cell phones!
Happy new year to ya, Hyena peeps :ciao:

Glad you liked the calendar DD my friend. I sure liked doing it and you can rest assured everyone pictured has been lovingly smoked!

About to post the harvest update. Been too tired from it all. :-0

Hope all in NZ is well. Thanks for being here!

Peace, Hyena

Okay here's the

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE HARVEST UPDATE!

Hi friends, it's been awhile I know but it's also been good. Went to Las Vegas for 5 days of total immersion into the desert fun, and that is definitely was. Then one day later I went up to the GH to make the big chop.

Wednesday at about noon it was time to hack it. IMHO everything couldn't look more ready...

Fur-ocious beasts everywhere. Practically oozing stink, all dying to, well, die. Sooo happy to oblige!

This time I ran 7 Blueberry and 5 Bud Bud Bling Tings (still the worst strain name EVER). What follows is a shot of each plant, followed by a shot of one bud from that plant, until you have seen all twelve in their full beauty.

The gallery of goodbye:

Whew, glad that's over. For them anyway...for me it just begins!

Couldn't play any longer than this last brief photo session...time to smoke a fatty, roll up my sleeves, and set to work. My trimming station and equip all laid out...

Then nothing left but the first cut!

I got through 2 plants the first day...it's such a time-consuming bitch to trim huge colas! At this point I feel I don't have to take quite the time and detail I did last time around, but even a basic trim and leaf removal just can only be done so fast no matter how good you are. At this point I'm about as fast as anyone, but I don't find it relaxing because I can't watch TV or anything, the job requires focus. My snips are surgical-instrument sharp and they cut everything like butter...if I look away I could easily cut the end of my finger off with one snip. I almost have a couple times and THAT would REALLY suck so I hunched over my trimming tray and refuse bin for 6 hours on Wednesday, then 15 hours both Thursday and Friday, trimming non-stop until I literally couldn't move my hands. The radio is only so interesting after three solid days of it. Plant after plant averaging three hours with only a couple 5-minute breaks I'm not kidding. Great problem to have, eh? But a tiring marathon nevertheless.

One plant...

There were a dozen baskets like this one. I was almost overwhelmed a few times by the intense aroma of stinky, sticky cola after cola after cola. Three days went by like some sort of dream where you like what's happening but your body rebels against the hours of drudgery and eventually everything simply hurts. I would love to have someone there with me but even if I knew someone who would want to do this they wouldn't want to do it again. It's a stone cold bitch but the one up side is everything looks really, really good. Superb aroma and frostation. Super dense chunkers with real weight. No sign anywhere of anything I don't like, nothing but perfection. The best I have ever grown without a doubt.

Such beauty I hated to chop it:

A shot of halfway...on one level encouraging, on another depressing. On we go...

But the overall crop is stellar...chunky monkey like I have never seen. Literally hundreds of hunkmeisters.

The piles became hangars full of weighty, skunky green and purple globs on sticks.

At one point I took a break to play some golf but I was too tired from trimming and my first shot ended up deep in the rough...

But finally Saturday morning I had it all finished, which was one full day less than my previous two harvests. I don't really know how I could compress the process any further so three days is what I will have to live with...but it's better than four!

I twisted up a celebratory fatty and admired my drying closet.

39 hangers full of heavy fruit. Plus another pound of smaller buds and trim. Mission accomplished!

But sadly, there was no time to celebrate yet...the arduous and backbreaking chore of cleaning this mess up still awaited me.

Three hours of careful but thorough chopping, shredding, and cleaning.

But finally, everything was sparkling once more and ready for the next generation!

I added some res clear to each bucket and the main reservoir and left the flood and drain cycle on its normal four-per-day...I figure a week of flooding and draining will totally sanitize and clear the water, buckets and pipes.

The clones look perfect by the way!

I didn't plant them yet because they still haven't produced any roots, but I added some more rooting hormone to the reservoir and I'm confident they will have roots soon. They certainly look healthy and green, obviously everyone is perfectly alive and standing tall with zero apparent issues, just no roots yet after 8 days or so. We'll see when I return this Thursday evening, as we plan to (finally!) go to the FAR northern house where it's snowy enough to snowmobile, at long last. We will stop at the Grow House and sleep over, to break the 7-hour drive into two smaller pieces, maybe by then they'll be showing some roots. I plan to return after we get back from our trip, one week from today, and plant them if they are ready. And the cycle will continue!

But at least I have everything cut and drying, and at this point my back isn't sore anymore. This isn't an easy endeavor but so very worth it in my view. Could the ultimate goal of four pounds of bud be realized this time around?

Stick around and see. I'll have everything finished next week I'm sure and I'll tell you all about it.

Meanwhile, the love affair continues...

Talk to ya soon! Stay high! :ganjamon:

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

So impressive, the whole post! I agree, this was the best looking crop you have grown. So many beautiful colas! I'm glad you have cut a day off trimming. A little consolation. All this attention to detail is why your plan works so good, and your crop looks so good. Oh, Did you bring your grinder when you played golf?!? Cheers

Man, I have been waiting for this update! Great job, great harvest, great news about the still healthy clones! Cheers, enjoy the snow!
Highya HM,
So impressive, the whole post! I agree, this was the best looking crop you have grown. So many beautiful colas! I'm glad you have cut a day off trimming. A little consolation. All this attention to detail is why your plan works so good, and your crop looks so good. Oh, Did you bring your grinder when you played golf?!? Cheers

THANKS guys, appreciate it very much. Hopefully the smoke will match the frosty looks!

Peace, Hyena

WOW, what a week...

So here's another HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

The process of harvesting a 10x10 tent, finishing everything, then reconditioning and re-booting the entire thing is a big job and this time around it was even bigger. But it all worked out pretty well I think!

On Thursday I spent five hours bucking the now-dry nugs. Though it only hung for a week everything dried to a crisp (it's Winter) so I packed everything into containers with a couple mega Boveda packs in each to slightly re-hydrate the produce before the final nug trim. It sat for five days while we were enjoying the frost of another kind, snowmobiling way up north. Good thing snow is soft...

On the way home I parked my carcass at the GH again, to do the final work. If only I could describe the power of the fragrance when I cracked open the tubs of nugs...a magnificent stink!

After just breathing the fragrance for awhile, I got out the Trimbag and went to work finishing the nuggies...

That thing does a great job and it's fast and easy to put a nice polish on even the most-toasted nugs. Gives you a nice bag of super sugar trim too! Packaged everything up and the final weight was amazing!

Just two ounces shy of four pounds of finished nugs! Plus another half-pound of sugar trim for rosin or bubble hash. It's a lot of work, but in the end it's more than worth it!

Through the bag you can see the purple hues of some of the buds, everything is as dank as it gets.

So now to plant the clones and begin another adventure!

The temperature was about 63 on average in the clone closet so they took a little longer to get rooting but that time frame worked out just fine. Every clone has great roots now...

I decided to just use the largest rockwool cubes I could find and after soaking them in a mild nutritive solution simply cut them in half, peeled them open like a book, and inserted the rooting clones into the middle.

A nifty plastic cap keeps the top of the cube from drying so fast and cuts down on algae growth. In and done!

Of course I wish it was that simple, the whole operation took most of the day when you add in learning what I was doing and two trips to the local hydro emporium. But everything seems fine!

I ran several fill/drain cycles and everything seemed to be working perfectly. So now I turned my attention to the monstrous forest in tent #2...

I may have reached the practical limit of canopy density...three weeks into flower, everything is popping everywhere but I really wonder if bigger will end up being better. Letting this go two extra weeks past the point of sanity has resulted in a mass so massive I can barely squeeze into the tent to fill the reservoir.

Pruning fan leaves at this point would be pointless. The interior of the mass is as dark as a cave. I have realized the only thing that really matters is the 18 inches at the end of every branch and so developing this many branches makes sense. Until now I have tried to get some interior development by keeping light lanes open through lots of defoliating. My theory this time around is interior production gets less and less the more there is up top, so forget the interior and just maximize the outer canopy density. Well, we're there.

My ultimate goal is four pounds of top-shelf bud per run and we were just two ounces short this last harvest so maybe this effort will break the barrier! Or maybe we will reach a diminishing return, that's why we do this...to find out. All these plants are from seeds from one plant in Run #1 so there should be great similarity but we can see at least four different phenotypes. However, all the bud structures look alike, smaller and lots of tiny pistils.

So, I cleaned the GH and (finally!) headed home with my produce and a very solid feeling of total satisfaction.

Harvest #3 is in. By the way the bud is amazing, as frosty as it is possible to be and fruity and delicious with a hammer stone. I sampled plenty while working these past two days, it's everything one would want and even a little bit more...

And so the world turns around its axis, while rotating around the sun, which is orbiting around the galaxy, which is spinning through the universe. Other than being a little dizzy, who could ask for more? Enjoy every day, work and learn and chase your dreams...you might just catch them. On we roll!

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

Great job overall! So you have a goal to shoot for. Adds a little extra interest. A massive job from start to finish. Have you considered how long you may want to keep at this level? You're sure good at what you do! Sativa buds are looking great! Cheers

Highya HM,

Great job overall! So you have a goal to shoot for. Adds a little extra interest. A massive job from start to finish. Have you considered how long you may want to keep at this level? You're sure good at what you do! Sativa buds are looking great! Cheers

Thanks my friend...

If I could just beam into the future and have another identical grow house I would love it...but that was six months of total immersion and also included buying a house...not too sure it will "grow" beyond this level but it's sure fun right now! I really wish I could have four grow tents so I could grow four different strains at once, because the thing I enjoy most is seeing how different strains are and experiencing each of them from start to finish. But again, not sure I could convince my wifey to go along with another entire property acquisition, that took a lot of money, work, and time. I could seek a partner locally but the fact is, it's a good gig for one person but not enough to make it worthwhile for two or three, just not enough money in it...unless it was a hundred plant operation, then we're talking real cash. And also the possibility of jail so not going to happen anytime soon...

Guess we'll just keep things as they are for awhile. Sure is fun no matter how ya do it!

Peace, Hyena

Its like heaven and hell all in one.
Another massive haul for the most Merican Hyena ever;). Great job my friend!

THANKS guys, I appreciate sharing this with you. You understand the highs and lows, the passion and the work.

Like Hannibal always said, "I love it when a plan comes together!" So stay tuned!

Peace, Hyena

If I could just beam into the future and have another identical grow house I would love it...but that was six months of total immersion and also included buying a house...not too sure it will "grow" beyond this level but it's sure fun right now! I really wish I could have four grow tents so I could grow four different strains at once, because the thing I enjoy most is seeing how different strains are and experiencing each of them from start to finish. But again, not sure I could convince my wifey to go along with another entire property acquisition, that took a lot of money, work, and time. I could seek a partner locally but the fact is, it's a good gig for one person but not enough to make it worthwhile for two or three, just not enough money in it...unless it was a hundred plant operation, then we're talking real cash. And also the possibility of jail so not going to happen anytime soon...

I've gazed into the future and have seen a nice out building on a farm in the country. Heavily disguised, with 10 rooms that hold 20 plants each. Also rooms for clones, seedlings, drying, curing, and processing. The trimbin hangs as a nod to the past, while a big mechanical trimmer whirs to life as the trimmings get moved to processing into extracts.

A couple wind generators offset the electric cost, keeping things within reason as much as possible. Each room runs it's own schedule, and harvests of 8-10 pounds occur every week. Entering into a specific grow room takes two doors. The inner space is enough for two people, and is lightly pressurized to retain scents. Exhaust is pulled from the ceiling into a plenum above the rooms, where the air is filtered and then tempered to match the outside air conditions, thus keeping the heat signature disguised.

Each rooms ventilation can be set to veg or flower, providing the right temperature and humidity (thus VPD) on the intake. All air is filtered, and not a bug, hair, or dust bunny to be found.

While it seems extravagant, it's ingenuity is surprisingly simplistic. All the steps have been refined, it's down to a science now. It's become the essential family business, and an empire has been born.

:snowboating:

Back
Top Bottom