Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Nice job!, where is your blueberry from? I have a strain from Cropking but its production is weak. Great tasting and a nice stone, just low production compared to my other varieties.

Thank you! Got this BB strain from Seedsman, I have to say I was very pleased. Several different phenos but all pretty solid.

Peace, Hyena

Here's the ol' mid-week

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

It's not even noon and yet I have already been up to the GH, done my work, and I'm back. Of course I left early...4:20. :ganjamon:

Everything is on once-a-week mode for at least another 5 or 6 weeks...and everything looking pretty good!

Tent #1 is the clone tent and they seem happy and healthy!

Every single one of them is in obvious growth mode, branching and starting to take off. They only used 5 gallons of water in a whole week. By contrast, the flowering mass in Tent #2 used over 50.

I don't know how often I'll use clones (since I would have to dial in the exact lead time a little better to avoid the several-week's loss of time I experienced this round) but it is nice to have learned the technique successfully so far. I think I still prefer seeds though, just a comfort zone. I'm very interested to see how these grow and especially how they branch.

Tweaked and topped off the res and on to Tent #2...wow!!

It's exactly 4 weeks since the flip and we're getting extreme flowering already. Nice and dense everywhere.

One or two in particular have stretched almost to the lights, they look like they will be extremely long colas and very productive.

The aroma of the room is already wonderful! Like I mentioned these have used a ton of water and yet the ventilation is keeping things at 42% RH and 72 degrees which is perfect. So no issues that I can see, and sadly, no excuse to hang out for hours or days with my girls, so I locked everything up and was driving back in under 40 minutes. Sweet!

So that's the week. All but a few ounces of my last haul are gone. It's at least six weeks until anything exciting will be happening again in the GH. I feel like the youngest kid just went off to college. And it's still too cold to golf.

Just one thing to do...

This will be me until the basketball game tonight. This will also probably be me during the game, and afterwards.

Consistency is the key to excellence.

Peace, Hyena

Such a gorgeous sight!! Those taller colas sure are pretty also! In fact, your whole journal, grow methods, and expertise are exceptional! Great packaging for the oz. Very professional! I hope you get journal of the year this year! Cheers

Such a gorgeous sight!! Those taller colas sure are pretty also! In fact, your whole journal, grow methods, and expertise are exceptional! Great packaging for the oz. Very professional! I hope you get journal of the year this year! Cheers

THANKS my friend!! More than anything I appreciate you and all my friends who regularly stop by! The packaging is just for fun, I dream of establishing my brand but having to keep my identity secret and paying taxes on my sales are large impediments to playing in the real world. That's okay, it's more fun to pretend! The buds are real and that's what counts!

Thanks for being there,

Peace, Hyena

It's another Wednesday...!

Soooo here's that ol' HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

My weekly 45-minute pit stop in the tents is such a brief but wonderful treat, it's so exciting to unzip each one when I visit and enjoy the wonders of whatever is in them each time around. Especially when one is in full bloom!

I'll start with Tent #2 this week:

It is really busting loose in this monster hedge of buds! I can't express how DENSE it is...like a solid wall of weed.

Every single inch looks juicy, all flowering away and of course an amazing variety of shapes and sizes especially considering they all literally came from one single bud of one mother plant which crossed itself.

I'm liking all the phenos, though, each looks great in its own way. Unlike other grows there's no runt in here, all are strong and full and exhibiting as many different smells as if they were different varieties entirely...but all truly luscious.

A couple taller ones looking very sativa-like

Getting really frosty in here

Yes we're quite excited about the prospects for a big fat harvest in another 6-7 weeks maybe. Hard to imagine how huge this grow might get! Maybe even dangerous!

But I'll take my chances...meanwhile, there's the clone sisters in Tent #1...

These are really taking off to my mild surprise and total amazement! Yes at this point I almost expect every new growing thing to work out because the Canna plant is just such an amazing grower, yet cloning successfully from start to this on my first try is really, really cool!

They are all beginning to branch out and now they already look like regular plants from seed.

I find them fascinating, since this time around every plant is an exact duplicate of only two plants in Tent #2, and this entire room should look very homogeneous by the time it is in full flower. I will drop the scrog frame next week and we'll start the whole hedge-building process anew. How fun!

So back home I went, until next Thursday night probably since we're planning a weekend trip up to the far-Northern cabin. I hope everything is okay for 8 full days though I have no real reason to believe it won't, but you just always worry a little bit. If you didn't you wouldn't be a good parent.

I smoked a huge fatty or two while driving back and suddenly was inexplicably very hungry. Pulling into a restaurant when I'm totally stoned, especially after smoking joints, well it's always a little awkward because I know I probably reek but I just can't smell it because I'm used to it. But I was hungry so why not...

Got my food. Mmmmmm. Delicious. See you next week.

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

Where to start ... Your ladies look so nice! Love those tall colas with all the pistils peeking out everywhere. Reminds me of what I imagine would be a " sea of green". Lovely! You always have such a great looking tent!!

Love how you're clones are doing! I'll bet you're glad you did it now. Saved a bit of time!

I used to own a business where people came in our store to a secure window. I could always tell if they'd be smoking cannabis. I'd get so jealous. At the time I was in a state where cannabis wasn't legal, and I didn't smoke then, :(

Hope your resevoirs don't go dry, going a couple extra days, lol. Have fun in the cold snow! Cheers

Everything looking exceptionally dialled in my friend. I thoroughly enjoy your updates!

Do you top your plants and do any kind of training before the scrog nets? I'm sure over the last 60 pages I've read of your adventures the answer is somewhere.

I am looking to replicate much of what you have setup after seeing how convenient and productive it is....only on a much smaller scale lol!

Everything looking exceptionally dialled in my friend. I thoroughly enjoy your updates!

Do you top your plants and do any kind of training before the scrog nets? I'm sure over the last 60 pages I've read of your adventures the answer is somewhere.

I am looking to replicate much of what you have setup after seeing how convenient and productive it is....only on a much smaller scale lol!

Thanks for that! Actually I DO top them but I am still not on a hard and fast routine, I'm still trying to figure out the absolute ideal number of branches/nodes to leave...if there even is one! :hmmmm:

I think there's a flexibility to it all, since the main goal is to fill the scrog as completely as possible before everything starts to go up up up. With clones we will now find out if there's a major difference from seedlings. Stay tuned!

Peace, Hyena

It's a great Tuesday, time for that

The weekly hour I get to spend with my girls has become a much-anticipated treat that I must wait a week for and then drive almost six hours to have...completely worth it!

Tent #2 is so full it's amazing! Literally busting at the seams!

I can hardly squeeze in...these plants have exploded. The 3 sides smash into the walls, the crush insane. I pry the mass apart here and there and the inside is just as I thought, almost in darkness. I didn't expect the middle to produce much this time around and my examination confirms this...inside it's nearly devoid of growth.

Which is fine.

As you might recall my experiment this time involves developing such canopy density that the only production will be on the end 18 inches of the zillion branches mission accomplished. The hope being the "zone" of production will outweigh the lost mid-canopy buddage. That larfy middle stuff is only good for bubble hash anyway and I'd rather have more prime buds. If the final weight is 3 1/2 pounds of perfect nugs or more we have succeeded. If not, we will know we've reached the practical limit with the last grow and adjust accordingly.

I still see places that could use more light. The three lights I have produce more than enough light overall but I'm wondering if I could use them even better. The only way I could increase production without adding CO2 is make the lights move. Their limit is their immobility. I don't really need daily motion. My thought is even the ability to meaningfully reposition them once a week would likely improve my corner and edge production and quality, This one can be engineered by a clever lad without buying mechanical movers I think. I am thinking... :hmmmm:

But the overall look is nice...

Gettin' nuggy wit it

Some taller phenos, some interesting buds

This tent is exactly 6 weeks into flower...3 more to go if Nature holds true. Hard to believe it will already be harvest time again so soon!

So we turn to Tent #1 and the clones...

The 14 clones couldn't be looking better! Every one is growing like a weed.

Nice everywhere and plenty of branches already so time to lower the scrog frame...

Now that the scrog screen is in place, I topped most of them, just leaving the back three untopped for another week to maybe get a longer wall of branches towards the very back.

Also the lights have spent the first 3 weeks on 50% power...time to crank to 100%! Once done it's so bright it hurts my eyes. Hope they are ready for full sun!

With this large a reservoir the PH stays relatively stable over the week, it's rare that I have to adjust it more than .1 or .2, and the PPM I like to keep around 1500 until full flower, then around 2000. All the food they need to get phat.

So everything zipped and locked and back home. Going to stay overnight here Thursday on our way up to the far-Northern command for some romantic outdoor adventures on the snowmobile trails. Just the three of us...me, my wifey, and Mary Jane.

Catch ya next week.

Peace, Hyena

Wow, how time flies! :ganjamon: Time for the

Okay the adventure has continued this past week in some surprising ways. But in the wonderful, wacky world of weed the only real surprise would be no surprises, right? So we rocked through all the highs and lows...

Firstly, the clone tent is in BUSINESS!

These plants look excellent, and they are growing at an amazing rate!

So I was taken a little by surprise by the growth and I settled in to scrog this whole thing properly. This is a crucial one of three scrogs that will make or break maximum production.

After awhile...

Yeah I really hit it and everybody is where they need to be. No bad leaf tips so we like the way things are moving in here. Temps are staying between 67-73 in the tent and the humidity is in the 30s.

Then into the garden I went.

The monster hedge hits you with stink like a hammer. It broke my nose. The density is an issue, both good and potentially bad, I am in unknown territory here because of the extreme size and concentration of these hundreds of branches. There are literally a dozen different plants in here even though they all came from the same bud. A couple tall like Sativas, some very compact like Indicas, each a different combination of nug shape, density, and aroma. And everything VERY sticky.

Trying to do much to this mass would take a lot more time than I have and besides, it's an experiment, right? Let's not second guess and ruin the result, good or bad. So other than plucking a few dozen totally dead leaves I left it all as a giant canvas, a floral masterpiece.

Some particularly awesome chunkers. This plant should be called New York because it looks like the skyline...

The differences between the buds are striking...

Yes, even this giant beanstalk that Jack could have climbed...except he would have gotten so sticky he'd still be halfway up.

So I'm super happy and looking at harvest in about 2 weeks, during which time this weight might grow another 50%. I'm super pleased, so pleased I regularly get a tiny voice telling me something is bound to go wrong and don't get too confident. I dismiss it every time, unless something actually DOES go wrong.

It did.

I'm just zipping up the furthest-back flap in the very back of the tent, I just wanted to check on the very back plant that I really can't see unless I go back there, and my red but experienced eye notices something tiny and it made my heart stop...

The dreaded banana of doom. Oh fuck.

So try not to panic I'm telling myself, first assess the situation. Then panic. :oops::eek:

First thing, I didn't see any pollen. I hoped it might be a single anomalous nanner since it was just one, peeking out of the bud, at the very end of the top bud where these tiny bastards like to pop out and destroy a grow's value like Godzilla hit Tokyo. But as I examined more of the plant I saw more than a dozen, evenly distributed throughout the best buds. I wasn't entirely surprised, since these seeds were the result of a tiny hermie flower in the first grow, and one would think that hermie trait might express in at least one of the kids, and sure enough it did. By (hopefully) catching it in time, before the pollen reached the point of release, I probably saved the grow.

I knew immediately what I had to do and my heart fell. But I grabbed the harvesting implements and went to work.

An hour later we had a crater.

Sad, but necessary to hopefully save the rest of the grow from becoming a seed farm. Even a few seeds drop the value in half. And I smoke a lot of weed but I can't add four pounds to my stash.

So three more hours of unexpected, tedious trimming and hanging.

And the buds looked pretty darn juicy but it's a shame they couldn't go two more weeks, they would have been a nice haul. I hung the branches in the living room, and sealed the doors to the two grow rooms so their only air input is from the furnace ducts. This should hopefully eliminate any possible contamination from any banana that might somehow keep growing enough to pop some pollen, though thankfully it looks like this was caught in time. Fingers crossed.

I left with a sense I might have basically dodged a big old bullet. So in the end, happy. The got home and remembered a bud I snipped last week and brought back. It had the slightest hint of green but it was quite dank...

It was really, really good. That's no mystery!

Peace, Hyena

Good catch Hyena! I had a few nanners in my recent grow at the end. Plucked them and harvested a few days later didn’t seem to be an issue... although I don’t have quite as much on the line!

Highya HM,

Great update!! The clone room looked very nice. It's so nice to see all the new growth topping the scrog net. Lots of sativa-looking growth there. The other tent has some gorgeous colas! That many that close (like a sea of green) will yield handsomely! So glad you caught the nanners early. Always something!! You're still great budmaster in my opinion!! And getting better all the time. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom