Hypo Hippy Take Two: Hydro and Soil Combo Grow

Hypo Hippy

Well boys and girls here is our second installment using clones from our first two ladies...Lucille and Gladys. Three of the clones are growing in 3 gal pots using Fox Farms Ocean Forest and two clones propagated and growing in a custom built (read home-made) 10 gal bubbler.

The soil clones are going to be grown using a combination of House and Garden Soil A & B and Fox Farm flowering supplements.

The bubbler clones are going to be grown using Fox Farm nutes throughout.

The soil grow has two Gladys clones (mother came from mystery seed included in Nirvana order) and one from Lucille (Nirvana white widow) and are growing under a 400 Watt MH bulb in the grow closet. We will flower them under 400 Watt HPS.

The hydro grow has one clone from each and is under eight cfls (26 Watt 6500K) in their custom-made cfl hood. They will flower under 46 Watt 2700K.

We learned so much on our last grow and hope we can avoid many of the same mistakes. We have all our stuff together this time and that was one of the things that helped contribute to our early problems. I will probably make reference (at times) to our last grow and I will apologize in advance to y'all that didn't follow our first grow, but I don't think I can avoid it.

We had such a dick dance during the early flowering phase of our last grow that we really wanted to try these two plants again and give them a fair chance at watering our eyes. Lucille in particular had some fantastic buds on her and the early test-smoke says that it is some kick-booty stuff.
Here is a shot of Lucille's main cola so you can see why we wanted to clone her. If she did this good after being so friggin sick.........hmmmm.
021101.JPG

011216.JPG

Here are a couple of shots of the clones. I will not sugar coat it.....these babies looked to be at death's door a couple of weeks ago and are just now snapping out of it. We took these clones DEEP into flower and it took them a long time to regroup.

Lucille's hydro clone
012186.JPG

Glady's hydro clone
013190.JPG

Here is a shot of all three soil clones. You can still see the "variagation" on Gladys' clones....they almost look neon.
008280.JPG

Close-up of of the neon appearance of Gladys' clone
009246.JPG

Mountain,
Thanks my man. We are hoping these clones get their collective acts together......soon! I still can't get my arms around why Gladys' clones share the same variagated look as their mother. I truly thought that the "look" came from a vascular problem that manifested itself after she was broken damn near in two in a transplanting accident. I guess either it is a genetic phenome or the mother plant has a virus or something that has passed on to her offspring. Oh well.....I hope things in this grow go ALOT smoother than the last one. Peace out!

You know hypo, that might just be a sensitive strain. I would make sure it gets dry feet...really light pot between complete soakings with phed water with Superthrive or equivalent and let the FFOF feed it for awhile.

You should be able to tell if the variegation is strain specific or plant fighting for health then.

I think they might just be growing crazy roots and not feeding enough from the soil yet (not enough feeder roots for the current growth) and so are eating themselves still. My clones all did that a little.

:peace:

Hypo my friend I'm here so deal me in brother! Your last grow will go down in the annuls of 420 as one of the 'greatest turnarounds' in modern history of man, as we know it! I hope this one is slightly more 'boring' and a fairly uneventful experience! Well, not really, but you know what I mean! Since you have us geniuses here to assist....what?....well at least you have the other guys!

Here's to a successful grow and plentiful harvest my friend!:Rasta:

:theband: :tommy: :loopy: :tommy: :headbanger: :woohoo:

:passitleft: :passitleft: :passitleft:

Thanks gents for all the kind words.....we are going to smoke from the ample pipe of experience (so-to-speak) on this grow. We are certainly happy about the turn-around of the girls...hopefully their daughters aren't so naughty! RTR

well, I missed the last grow, but I am also "now" switching to a dual grow both dirt and hydro. So this seems like a good place for me and I will go and check out your last grow. Even though it seems a bit morbid I learn a great deal from other's mistakes so cudoos for blazing a mishappened grow to show us newbs what to look out for;)

Direless....glad to have you here. By all means, feel free to learn from our trails and tribulations. Our biggest mistake was not having the tools that are so friggin important....most importantly a QUALITY pH meter. Now that we have all the goodies, with all the bells and whistles we are in much better shape. Good luck to you.

Yea I understand, I bought a multi meter on ebay only a hundred bucks, but now I don't trust it so I am calibrating everytime I do anything with it. Just makes the job unnecessarily complicated. after this grow I will pony up for a high quality meter.

You know hypo, that might just be a sensitive strain. I would make sure it gets dry feet...really light pot between complete soakings with phed water with Superthrive or equivalent and let the FFOF feed it for awhile.

You should be able to tell if the variegation is strain specific or plant fighting for health then.

I think they might just be growing crazy roots and not feeding enough from the soil yet (not enough feeder roots for the current growth) and so are eating themselves still. My clones all did that a little.

:peace:

Mountain, thanks for the tip.I'm giving what you say a try.With this new (to me) ffof soil is so light and airy that i was watering twice a day,so i'm going to let it dry real good.Also i changed to h&g soil a & b,they seem to be getting better.Ill post some pictures tomorrow.:roorrip:

That is great about those nutes, Southernweed is killing with those...they look very interesting.

Not sure where I am going with nutes in my future grows, am trying an inorganic line and really like the growth rate, not sure about taste though and my provider is like..."That is no better than prescription meds"...and he uses MOAB bloom enhancer....:grinjoint:

:peace: brother.

Re: Hypo Hippy Take Two: clone Soil Grow

well the hydro didn't work out,i checked the res and the ph had plummeted to3.2 and snotty slime was all in it, so i dumped it. I did take the best clone (ww) and potted it to soil,mabe it will work out.The heat has hit here,i moved the soil clones to the a/c room,as soon as the ww has recovered i'm goin to flower them and quit for the summer.lol I will be back it oct with a couple of winter grows.any way stay tuned lets see if i can make something out of the clones.:peacetwo:

well the hydro didn't work out,i checked the res and the ph had plummeted to3.2 and snotty slime was all in it, so i dumped it. I did take the best clone (ww) and potted it to soil,mabe it will work out.The heat has hit here,i moved the soil clones to the a/c room,as soon as the ww has recovered i'm goin to flower them and quit for the summer.lol I will be back it oct with a couple of winter grows.any way stay tuned lets see if i can make something out of the clones.:peacetwo:

:goodluck: Best of luck to ya HH!
Hydro can be a harsh mistress sometimes. I've started the battle with heat myself but so far the cooling system is holding up. I'm running my light 9pm to 9am so that helps.
Any chance of an outdoor grow this Summer? Before this year I always had to shut down my growroom and moved the operation outside from July thru September. ;)

That's too bad Hypo, I know you made that set up yourself. Can you use it for your next indoor or is their something about it itself that helped with the problem? Well brother you have encountered tougher roadblocks than this, so I'm sure you'll come out the better for it!

Hiya, sorry to hear about the res after such beautiful pics of the other buds. It sounds like you've done just the right thing as far as grabbing clones. A few weeks delay is not the end of the world.

Do you think you have the probs solved with the res? I'll throw a few hints that I find kept my res from getting bad. Recently I moved rooms, neglected my res for a few days and she got a little soup. So things I did to fix it:

#1 - Keep temps below 75. Period. If this means dropping in frozen 2 litres that's ok. If you use bottles - fill them 2/3 full with water then squeeze them till the water reaches the top then close them. This will leave room when they freeze and thaw to expand. Better to use those blue ice pack things if you have them. Basically if your room temps are in the right range, it shouldn't take much to compensate in the res.

#2 - No Sweet, Molases, Gravity, or other sugar based bud enhancers. If you are using these - res temps below 75 are mandatory. You will see soup within hours otherwise.

#3 - H2o2 - Don't be afraid. Within reason and common sense - you can use lots of Hydrogen Peroxide. It'll kill the soup and leave a black shit behind. That's fine - its the dead organisms. You can see it working in your res, just like on you - it will bubble where it finds bacteria. It kills them by providing an aerobic (lots of oxygen) environment - which is actually better for your plants. The only disadvantage is it will kill friendly micro-zoos as well so its better as a treatment rather than a prevention.

#4 - Hygrozyme - this stuff is great for your roots and helping the res. And it does not kill friendly bacteria and you can use it with organic nutes.

#5 - Hydroguard - this stuff prevents the slime and algae in the res. Again, safe with organics as far as I know (I use it) and it does the trick I think. I don't use much at all cause I control the other factors as well, but a little in there definitely reduces the slime factor when you reach in and pull out a pump hose or whatever.

Wow - that was more than I intended. Sorry just medicated. :smokin:

All in all - great grow(s) in progress - keep it up.
:thumb::yummy::Rasta:

+Reps for keeping a cool head and getting clones.

:goodluck: Best of luck to ya HH!
Hydro can be a harsh mistress sometimes. I've started the battle with heat myself but so far the cooling system is holding up. I'm running my light 9pm to 9am so that helps.
Any chance of an outdoor grow this Summer? Before this year I always had to shut down my growroom and moved the operation outside from July thru September. ;)

Hi orange,
thanks for checking in, all is not lost i transfered the ww clone to soil,chunked a couple of the culls,moved th lights in the a/c room,going into flower as soon as the ww gets over the transfer.

I can't find a spot,out side that is suitable for out door grow.I'm pretty good shape looks like i'll have about 3oz of dried bud to last till the clones are done.:peacetwo:

That's too bad Hypo, I know you made that set up yourself. Can you use it for your next indoor or is their something about it itself that helped with the problem? Well brother you have encountered tougher roadblocks than this, so I'm sure you'll come out the better for it!

Hi woods

i'm not going to give up on the hydro,just going to postpone it till late fall,thanks for the encouragement.:peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom