I am confused about lights and height of lights and much much more, first time growing

If your lights aren't designed for plants the intensity drops off in a few inches. With good lights you can have them farther away with very little drop off. That's why you need a meter.

It's looks like you have flourescent lights. Typically you have to have them right up against the plant. Which is ok in veg if you don't have much verticle room. Not good for penetration through a bigger plant.

Here's what I use. The ph meter is trash. and the moisture meter can't tell you anything that @Emilya doesn't already know :rofl: this ones only 10$ USD.
1587910955903.png

...On second thought maybe you should spend more:rofl:
I have the same meter. I get consistent readings even with the PH. Doesn't even use batteries. In the shade it shows good light. Direct sunlight pegs it out. So it just gives you an idea. PH of my pro mix soil is always 7. Which is what I would expect (neutral). Added some compost and it went a little more acidic. So I think its probably accurate. Soil moisture works. My expensive light meters always break down. Probably the best meter I have.

I run my Budget series 3+ dimmed down about 8" off my plants with no issues. Let the plants tell you where they want the lights though is the best advice I can offer, no two grows are the same!
Dimmed down yes I can see that, I have one of the budget leds just got and an hlg one that I’ve used for 1 grow. Gotta think they work the same with distance and how strong the lights are. Just gotta follow directions from the manufacturer I guess. Bottom line tho is you get what you pay for as far as quality of your meds with what lights you use.

Hello 420 magazine,
This is my first time growing , my plant seems ok but i am confused about everything. I am growing in my 2.6(80cm) x 1.6 ( 49cm) x 5.4feet
(166cm),i bought 3 x 54w 6000k leds for veg . Now to my questions.
I dont know if i have enough room for my plant and if i need more light and how high lights be from the top of my plant.
I have done a lot of research but every site and forum is confusing and they are saying different things.
It is all good brother noobnoob Im also a confused individual when it comes to growing the marraaawannna ! All the different info attacking your brain like you just punted a hornets nest!! My advice is to start a journal and find a grow master to help you for the entire grow!!!! And the backhand method if it isn't comfortable for the back of your hand it ain't comfy for your big girls!!! Hell yeah brother you will do great!

It is all good brother noobnoob Im also a confused individual when it comes to growing the marraaawannna ! All the different info attacking your brain like you just punted a hornets nest!! My advice is to start a journal and find a grow master to help you for the entire grow!!!! And the backhand method if it isn't comfortable for the back of your hand it ain't comfy for your big girls!!! Hell yeah brother you will do great!
How can i find a grow master?

How can i find par? par meters are really expensive, i have a lux meter though , is there a way to convert?
And does anyone knows a good and simple guide for scrog?
Thank you everyone for replying to my post.
Every type of LED light has a spectrum. How closely that spectrum matches the sun's output spectrum is measured by CRI, and the higher the CRI rating is up to 100, the closer it approximates the sun.
There is a calculation, based on this CRI rating of your lights that can convert to PAR. If I divide my Lux reading by 68, I get PAR for my lights. This is only an approximation, but it is close enough for government work. Your lights will probably have a different conversion factor unless you also run CREE CXB3590 COBs.

Here is my quick guide for SCROG. Set your screen at 10" above the soil. Train the plants under this screen until you have filled your screen no more than 2/3 of the way full. Go to flower mode, and during the 2 weeks of stretch, work on filling your screen all the way. After stretch is over, let the buds start going vertical.

Grow masters are everywhere... just ask one of them. :)

How can i start a journal?? I already have a physical one :p
Im not good at this when I started mine a grow master put links in the comments for me so it was easy ,,,,, go to 420 forums then click new post , then click journal in progress , add title like (noobnoob first grow journal) then include as much info as possible ,,,, your grow environment , your equipment , your temps your hr , the strain , the more info and pictures you post the easier it will be for grow masters to help you , im only on my third grow so im new I just understand your confusion ,,,if you click on the green letters below my comment ( hash fart trying the white Tahoe cookies) you will see an example of my journal ). @Backlipslide help brother noobnoob start a journal

Here is my quick guide for SCROG. Set your screen at 10" above the soil. Train the plants under this screen until you have filled your screen no more than 2/3 of the way full. Go to flower mode, and during the 2 weeks of stretch, work on filling your screen all the way. After stretch is over, let the buds start going vertical.

Grow masters are everywhere... just ask one of them. :)
What do you mean train my plant under the screen until i have filled my screen 2/3 . Sorry if i dont understand the obvious things

Maybe SCROG was not the right term then... maybe a trellis? That would be a screen that simply is helping to hold the plants up vertically? In a SCROG operation you don't have to cut anything, although some do before getting to the 10" height and then all the growth is tucked under that screen and not allowed to go vertical.

Let me give you a chart calibrated in LUX so you can get a better idea what your plants need. This was a chart that I compiled so I could see how to maximize the efficiency of my lights. Note the colored areas that show you the ranges of light you should be in at the various stages.

You are giving your plants too much light for veg if your numbers are correct.

cob lux_wattage.png

Back
Top Bottom