I baked my plant

bluemode

My plant was thriving under cfl. I had two 100 watt bulbs over them and everything was fine. they were growing a little slow about three inches at three weeks in. I thought I could speed things along by using my 400watt HPS I left it over night and this morning the plant was toast. It was all curled up and dead. the room was about 120 degrees. I know you said it would get hot but holy shit even the water I feed to the plants was hot to the touch I mean hot. Does all that heat come from the ballast or the light fixture? Here are some pics of the room both with the HPS and the cfl. How can I get around this ventalation problem? The fan I had in the room just circulated the hot air around. I cant drill any more holes in the walls. Do you think leaving the ballast outside of the room would work? The door would be open a crack letting in bugs but I think it would keep the temp down. My room is 3'x5'x8'

3" at 3 weeks?
Something is radically wrong. Worry about fixing that before you start to worry about the light.

Heat comes from both the bulb AND the ballast. The reason the ballast is seperate from the hood is so you can out it elsewhere.
If you use a 400 watter you MUST have ventilation. A 400-watt bulb b]puts out almost as much heat as a 400 watt heater. Try shutting up a 400 watt heater on full time in a small area like a closet what do you think is gonna happen to the heat?
Ventilation is also needed to supply pot with fresh air, which it requires.
You need intake/exhaust fans, installed in-wall.

But first of all, read a grow book to find out what you're doing wrong.
Doing it right your plants should be 12" tall or more after 3 weeks of veg.

rangerdanger said:
3" at 3 weeks?
Something is radically wrong. Worry about fixing that before you start to worry about the light.

Heat comes from both the bulb AND the ballast. The reason the ballast is seperate from the hood is so you can out it elsewhere.
If you use a 400 watter you MUST have ventilation. A 400-watt bulb b]puts out almost as much heat as a 400 watt heater. Try shutting up a 400 watt heater on full time in a small area like a closet what do you think is gonna happen to the heat?
Ventilation is also needed to supply pot with fresh air, which it requires.
You need intake/exhaust fans, installed in-wall.

But first of all, read a grow book to find out what you're doing wrong.
Doing it right your plants should be 12" tall or more after 3 weeks of veg.

you've also gotta remember, you have strain charatacteristics to contend with, plus you have to think, does he have optimal growing conditions, every grow is differant.

Well put dank. With space restrictions, i found it best to build something to contain the plants inside the small growing space that can remain cracked open. Like build a box inside a closet so you can leave the closet cracked for circulation without tons of light pouring out. Then make sure you get to ventilating that box and tweek it til the temp stays normal. Just a thought. Let us know how it goes and happy growing!

easy bake oven , sorry for your loss.I think the investment in vented hoods would help greatly.Even with vented hoods ,and remotely placed ballasts, I still had to install an ac unit in my room for 4000 watts.Good luck!

This is why I stress ventilation all the time. Back to the drawing board.
Planning is the best thing to do before you grow and next time test the room before you fry the plants or the house.

Here are some pictures of what I have to work with. Any help would be great as far as setting up ventilation or something that will cure the over heating. one wall leads into the apartment the wall opposite the miricale grow bags. the ballast can be put outsidehow big are the holes I am going to need to put into my wall? Thank you for your help

bluemode said:
My plant was thriving under cfl. I had two 100 watt bulbs over them and everything was fine. they were growing a little slow about three inches at three weeks in.

First off, you tried to use an HPS system, which is for flowering, for vegetative growth instead.

Second, you probably hung the light WAY too close because you were used to using flourescents.

Better luck next time.

I have two 9" fans. If I cut two holes into my wall (which would be the same wall one low - one high) attach the fans to blow intake from the interior of my home the other (exhaust) blowing the hot air into my home. Do you think this make shift ventilation would cut it? This is for a 400watt HPS. I 'd like some opinions before I trash my apartment. The repairs to the walls would be pretty easy and fast. But I like to hear from someone with experience if this will work or not.

Hi! I have 3 in my closet which is 5 across 2 deep and 8 high. I have hps 400=55000 lums. The way I keep it cool is to put ballast outside the room with a small fan on it, than I have 2 fans blowing in the room one at the closet and one in corner of room. I keep the door opened a crack. I also have an airconditioner which I blow down my hall with a hudge fan to the room . I have no problem with heat works like a charm. My babies are doing great.:smokin:

9 inch fans will keep a 400 watt from getting too hot. one fan intake and one fan exhaust and youll be golden

Back
Top Bottom