I can't even get my seeds started

I bought a good amount of seeds (feminised) auto flowering and substandard white widow. I have spent an absolute fortune on a 80 x 80 x 180 600 W cfl full indoor soil set up and cant even lift the seeds past being a ugly little seed. Ive tried soil, tissue and floating in water... still nothing. Im starting to feel like i wasted my money. Can anyone advise of anything i could potentially be doing in error? Ive been placing them in the airong cupboard above the big water tank for warmth either between 2 plates in tissue or the others in seedling soil wrapped in cling film in complete darkness. I must have wasted 6 seeds an 0 movement. Cheers 420 family.

L ☺

They need airflow! Don't put in a cabinet or cover with plates.

Hi
What happened to the rest of the seeds ...? You should still be able to spout them ... or at least some of them. I made the same mistake a month ago ... despite it being my fourth grow! Airing cupboard is way too warm ... some may sprout, but you'll only get a small success rate.

I took all the seeds and moved them to a kitchen drawer. 5 of the seven sprouted within a couple of days ...

Normally I start them off in damp tissue (keep it reasonably moist ... between a few layers), and in a dark space, at about the 70 degree mark (ambient room temperature, unless you're somewhere really hot or cold). Replant when they've sprouted.

As to the seedling you've got going now ... just keep watering when it gets dry (easiest to test by weight of cup). Bottom two sets of leaves will probably die out soonish. All looks fine for now

I usually try and FIM at the third set of full leaves (I can't be bothered to wait for the fifth set) - the plant has never died on me.

Good luck growing - and give those other seeds a try in somewhere cooler ...
I still have the seeds. One auto is currently in soil. No show yet. Thanks for the tips I'll give it a go. I need another plant in this set up. Definitely. I'll keep you all posted. First grow and all. Won't be quitting. Not a quitter. I'll keep you all posted from my sunny tent somewhere in the world !! . . .

Good luck with the other seeds.

If you're growing an auto - then FIMming is something that splits opinion. You want to let them grow as unhindered as possible, as they have a predetermined time to grow and then flower. Any delay eats into the time, growth and hence the yield.

I FIMmed both of my autos on this grow - 1 went well, 1 didn't.
Your call ...

Thanks for the tips. I'm not going to Fim I'm going to just let it all go. Today seems to be a different story the do you think the leaves are stretching at all as they seem to be standing
420-magazine-mobile2121152813.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1385376370.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1639211573.jpg
I feel like it's all going a little bit pear shaped. Eeeeep

Looks good to me.. I would get that cfl closer to the top, she'll like it. Personally I feel like this baby was stressed enough for the time being, I have topped my autoflowers before and it does work, but it's additional stress for it and you can always low stress train later.
Closer ? I've moved it away. After googleing some scenarios it looked like light stress. It's a 600w Cfl and I don't want it to get too hot or stressed. I'm a little paranoid because I'm back to sq1 with the seeds and can't germ any more. . . . could I tent an auto with a non auto or would the light patterns not match up and damage / stress one or the other ?

Cheers for getting back to me

I say that's not damage from a light burn, that should look like a bleach that happens on the leaves closer to the light source. With that CFL there's no problem going closer, but if it makes you feel more comfortable she can stay at the distance she's at right now, she won't be mad :laughtwo:
Haha cheers man. I'll keep you posted. I guess I'm just paranoid kinda got all my shit crossed on this because these seeds are stubborn up in here. Cheers . .

It's a 600w Cfl

Are you sure about that, lol? I'd be willing to bet that it's probably a 200-watt CFL that some smart - but unscrupulous - member of the company's marketing department decided to advertise as being a "600-watt equivilant." Which, considering the fact that they're comparing it to 600 watts of incandescent light, is completely irrelevant to cannabis.

But anyway, a 200-watt CFL will produce a relatively significant amount of heat, so I wouldn't follow the "place CFLs within an inch of the plant," either. Especially with a tiny little seedling. IDK what distance would be considered to be optimum, but it's probably best to start at a foot and bring it an inch or so closer each day unless/until you start seeing visual cues that it's either too far away (plant stretches and, in extreme cases, falls over) or too close (bleaching and/or burning). Too far away is annoying, but you can fix it easily enough. Too close (again, especially with a seedling) could end up pooching the plant, since it's not exactly covered in leaves so that you could afford to destroy some of them. IMHO, of course.

I say that's not damage from a light burn, that should look like a bleach

No, that's light-bleaching. That's from light levels that are too intense. Light burning is from having a (relatively) hot bulb too close to the plant, and results in brown/crunchy leaves. The two are not the same thing (although they can both happen, if the light is both too hot and too intense).

BtW, since you asked for tips, here's one: Find something else to place your plant on instead of a stack of books. If you water to runoff a few times (or maybe even just once) like that, you'll turn that stack of books into a breeding ground for mold. (Ask me how I know ;) .)

No, that's light-bleaching. That's from light levels that are too intense. Light burning is from having a (relatively) hot bulb too close to the plant, and results in brown/crunchy leaves. The two are not the same thing (although they can both happen, if the light is both too hot and too intense).

Thanks for the clarification. :high-five: My brain forgot the word bleaching :rofl: was what I meant, but not what I wrote.:love:
I've always went very close with my CFL's unless the bulb was too hot like you mentioned to burn the plant.:Namaste:

Are you sure about that, lol? I'd be willing to bet that it's probably a 200-watt CFL that some smart - but unscrupulous - member of the company's marketing department decided to advertise as being a "600-watt equivilant." Which, considering the fact that they're comparing it to 600 watts of incandescent light, is completely irrelevant to cannabis.

But anyway, a 200-watt CFL will produce a relatively significant amount of heat, so I wouldn't follow the "place CFLs within an inch of the plant," either. Especially with a tiny little seedling. IDK what distance would be considered to be optimum, but it's probably best to start at a foot and bring it an inch or so closer each day unless/until you start seeing visual cues that it's either too far away (plant stretches and, in extreme cases, falls over) or too close (bleaching and/or burning). Too far away is annoying, but you can fix it easily enough. Too close (again, especially with a seedling) could end up pooching the plant, since it's not exactly covered in leaves so that you could afford to destroy some of them. IMHO, of course.

BtW, since you asked for tips, here's one: Find something else to place your plant on instead of a stack of books. If you water to runoff a few times (or maybe even just once) like that, you'll turn that stack of books into a breeding ground for mold. (Ask me how I know ;) .)
I'm glad I followed my instinct and moved it away yesterday it seems to have worked wonders. It was bought online as a 600w CFL from a hydroponics shop I've not a clue if it actually is or not. Like I said I'm new to this game. The plants up on a stack of dvds inside a leak proof watering base tray from the garden centre. I broke one of my hanging ratchet hooks so it's not adjustable at present all that easily but no water will touch anything but the tray. I'm still yet to water it enough to run off but I feel I should quite soon as at present I'm only using a misting sprayer bottle. Thanks for the tips here man much appreciated. . . .

420-magazine-mobile1574702725.jpg
as you can see the bottom set suffered a light burn and yellowed a bit. I feel like it's really coming on and I am going to pot up today into 17 litre fabric pots. Into some black magic hydro soil
420-magazine-mobile1472163096.jpg
I'm hoping she welcomes the changes. Will update @ a later date

There are no single cfl lights that go up to 600w, believe me iv tried looking for many in my time, from what i can see in your pic its chance to be a 300w or at max 340w, my local grow shop searched every where for me aswell as asking there stockists they use.

still a good grow light, are you keeping it untill harvest or switching to hps/led?

There are no single cfl lights that go up to 600w, believe me iv tried looking for many in my time, from what i can see in your pic its chance to be a 300w or at max 340w, my local grow shop searched every where for me aswell as asking there stockists they use.

still a good grow light, are you keeping it untill harvest or switching to hps/led?
Hey. Yeah once veg is over I'll be swapping to Hps to flower. I'm not holding my breath on it as it's already gone through so much stress. I got a feeling it may be male as that is just my luck. Lol. I got it on ebay as part of a full set up came with ballast, tent, pots, bulb, hanging hooks. It definitely said 600w Hps. Guess I got conned . ah well it seems to have done the job so far. If anyone has anything they could add in I am open to any input from you guys. It's greatly appreciated thank you 420 family. You're great ❤

Back
Top Bottom