420 Magazine Background

I can't find a weak enough fan for my microgrow!

TheStranger

Hi,

I'm going to be growing in a box of about 4 cubic feet, I have got the smallest filter I could find (Prima Klima K2600FLAT) but I'm a bit unsure about what fan to use; going by the rule of thumb I read about exchanging the air once every three minutes, this would require a fan of just over 1CFM, which is very low, even the smallest fans I can find seem to be about 100CFM

Do you forsee any problems with exchanging the air so frequently?
The only problem I can imagine is that it may make the humidity too low, but I'm sure that could be counteracted.

So because I dont need a high performance fan, and due to space constraints, I was thinking of using one of those very cheap inline duct fans (about £10, they are the same diameter as the ducting)
I read the datasheet and compared the specs with a bigger fan, and I noticed that the pressure rating of the small fan is much lower (35Pa compared with about 200Pa)
And I can't really find any information about this, would this be too low to pull air through the filter?

Also another thought I had was that maybe having an excessive flow rate will reduce the lifespan of the filter, however do you think this is true?
The way I'm seeing it, there is a fixed amount of odors to remove, and whether this is done at a high or low flow rate, the filter will be used up just the same amount.

Thanks for your help

The Stranger

Dwight Monk

420 Support
420 Staff
You can look at my Anti Journal thread as I started growing in boxes I made (small one I bought), as using the small computer fans for intake and exhaust. I have read that you want to replace the air 1-2x every minute, don't think replacing it more will hurt anything other than if too much a vacuum may move the plants too much (they like a slight breeze but not wind storms ;) ).

Top Bottom