jessica2

Hello friends. I am new here. I just started growing for my own personal use.

Starting off with 2 baby plants grown from seeds. Cali Gold feminized.

They popped through the soil 5 days ago and having been growing so quickly. I am excited, but nervous about screwing this up.

I have them in a humidity dome between 60-90 % humidity...and that is inside a secret jardin tent (2 x 2 x 4.7)---to contain the light, which is a "Sun System" HPS 150 w. I am doing 16 hours on, 6 hours off. The temp in the tent is between 80-90 degrees.

I watered the soil BEFORE planting my seedlings, and have only misted them since (about 5 days)

But today at my sun-up , I looked at the new growth (they are about 3 inches tall) and when I misted them, they tipped over! To my horror!!
I gently tilted the babies back up, but I am worried. If this was a house plant, I'd tie it to a chop stick--but I am such a nervous Nelly about doing it wrong. I would rather know what mistake I made (if I did something wrong), so I can make sure not to repeat it.

What's wrong? Is this too much water? too little? Too much light? The dome is 7 inches tall, and the light is 17 inches above the dome.

I have been very impressed reading the forums here, everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable--I feel like the geeky new kid.

Help me dear friends, what have I done? eeeeeeeek :thanks:

Hello friends. I am new here. I just started growing for my own personal use.

Starting off with 2 baby plants grown from seeds. Cali Gold feminized.

They popped through the soil 5 days ago and having been growing so quickly. I am excited, but nervous about screwing this up.

I have them in a humidity dome between 60-90 % humidity...and that is inside a secret jardin tent (2 x 2 x 4.7)---to contain the light, which is a "Sun System" HPS 150 w. I am doing 16 hours on, 6 hours off. The temp in the tent is between 80-90 degrees.

I watered the soil BEFORE planting my seedlings, and have only misted them since (about 5 days)

But today at my sun-up , I looked at the new growth (they are about 3 inches tall) and when I misted them, they tipped over! To my horror!!
I gently tilted the babies back up, but I am worried. If this was a house plant, I'd tie it to a chop stick--but I am such a nervous Nelly about doing it wrong. I would rather know what mistake I made (if I did something wrong), so I can make sure not to repeat it.

What's wrong? Is this too much water? too little? Too much light? The dome is 7 inches tall, and the light is 17 inches above the dome.

I have been very impressed reading the forums here, everyone is so helpful and knowledgeable--I feel like the geeky new kid.

Help me dear friends, what have I done? eeeeeeeek :thanks:

High jessica2, :welcome: to 420 Magazine!

I think you’ll find this is the best mmj community out there... Dedicated to spreading awareness of the benefits of Marijuana and Hemp. :thumb:

Our members are some of the most knowledgable and the most helpful anywhere!

You've definitely got some problems there... I'll try to go in order and help as best as I can. Some pics would really help.

First off you want to get rid of the humidity dome as soon at the seedlings break ground, 60-90% RH is great for germination, but way too humid for seedlings, and can encourage "damping off", which is when any number of fungi infects the seedling and causes thinning right where it touches the ground. It will worsen until the stem at that point rots and it falls over.

There is no cure for damping off, only prevention...

The light you have in there is overkill right now. If I were you I would hang one or two Daylight CFLs about 1-2 inches above the top of the seedlings. Getting them enough light will prevent them from becoming too leggy. The HPS is going to make too much heat to het it close enough, not to mention two CFLs would be less than 50 watts... why spend money you don't have to? Plants actually prefer the color spectrum of HPS during their flowering period. Seedlings and vegging plants prefer a spectrum with more blue and less red light. I'd also recommend an 18/6 light schedule.

You also need to lower your temps... Cannabis likes between 72-78 for daytime temps, when you get up to 80 growth will slow (unless you are supplementing CO2, then temps in the 80s will speed growth) at 90 degrees, growth will all but stop.

You need airflow through your tent. Get cool fresh air in and hot humid air out. And you should also have a small oscillating fan that gently moves air across the plants. This will strengthen your stems as the plant makes them stronger to hold up to the wind.

I hope that helps a little.

If you haven't already, please take a moment to check out the guidelines: Forum Guidelines - Please Read Before Posting, they will assist you in navigating the forum.

Here are some other links that you should check out:

Our mission statement: Mission Statement
Questions: Frequently Asked Questions - 420 Magazine
Uploading photos: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos
Grow support: How to Ask for Grow Support
How to grow: How to Grow Marijuana - 420 Magazine
MMJ lounge: Medical Marijuana Lounge - 420 Magazine
News: International Cannabis News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana News - 420 Magazine
Hemp News - 420 Magazine
Medical Marijuana Scientific Data - 420 Magazine
Help support the cause: Please Help Support 420 Magazine

Also, please check out the monthly contests linked below in my signature, and feel free to participate by voting and/or entering!

:Namaste:

looks like fratdog got you coevered =)
I would highly suggest starting a grow thread or jurnal. this will insure that you have help 24/7 on your grow. people can stop in and instantly see what your talking about, this will get you answers FAST!

Welcome to the community!

Back
Top Bottom