I had a thought

Jackalope

Of course I did. Just as soon as the people that know me quit laughing we can move on LMAO.

There has always been a lot of seed breeders. Some good some bad. It took a while to see which companies were legit and which ones were posers. I managed may way through and found a few quality places to get seeds.

What we are seeing now is beyond anything I ever could have imagined. So damn may seeds and strains to choose from. What is worse. I am finding some of the companies I swore by in the passed. Have changed. Some for the good some for the worse.

My old stand by of buy seeds only from well established breeders has changed. It is not that I want to try more unknown breeders. It is because some of the older companies that did things right in the old days. Are not keeping up. Some try to fall back on their own strains. While others don't follow the same practices they used to. Some companies are just making lots of seeds instead of better strains.

Don't worry folks! There are tons of new genetics out there that are really great. I just have no idea of where they are anymore LMAO. I do know that, some of what these new unknown breeders are doing is quite good. I just have no idea of where they are anymore.

I just wonder how long it is going to take to weed through all the riff raff to find the new go to Breeders? They way things are done these days you just never know were a great strain will come from. The next great strain could be bred by You, Me, or in most case's by Accident.

Problem with everyone jumping on the bandwagon, along with the "lets make a quick buck instead of doing it right". Need the Feds to change their stance so we can all just legally trade seeds with each other.

the industry is opening up. it's becoming legit in many new places, so there are piles of companies and breeders entering the market. previous, the market was smaller by comparison due to prohibition. as result there were fewer companies and breeders, they tended to be concentrated in only a few places, and the market was easier to navigate.

it's gonna get more complicated before things shake out and settle down.

I've been making seeds from the good stuff instead of cloning like I used to do.

That and I cant clone for shit anymore.

What were we thinking about? lol

Making my own crosses with known goodies then grow them out. I'm into that now and liking it. Spending less money on seeds.

Just bought seeds that I made someone duped them and I bought my own cross ffs.

I have to admit. Even within all the craziness. I am seeing great new trends. 2 seed breeders working together with their best genetics. It is one thing to buy seeds from a strain and cross the best pheno with your best genetics. It is a whole different story if you get their best pheno of a strain, from them and them make your hybrid. There is going to be some great strains coming from these collaborations. My first strain of this type is The New from HSO. We will see if my thinking is right.

Anyone that has watched strains for any amount of time. Has seen the basics of how most of these breeders breed. They see one hybrid after another crossed with the same pollen. They make lots of hybrids just to see what works. You don't have to see that very long to think, "I can do that". In some case's they can. Lots of people don't realize just how much difference there is between good and great plants. You really need a great pheno for breeding.

One thing to mention. If they found one great phenotype in a strain. You can too. What you do with it is up to the grower.

bang on the money. I have had so e amazing good luck with an accidental seeding of a load of barneys farm strains bhnone blue gelato. now have seeds that have produced a few amazing plants. Will be keeping them in store for sure and growing them out too. My FRUITY gorilla sorbet being one and Hulklato being another that Donkey duck has developed into a winner now. . I want to try intentionally crossing some day soon.

One of the main things that bothers me about all the new breeders and strains. Is what am I missing out on? It is not that I can not find quality genetics. I have and I do regularly. I worry more that I may be missing something special. I stand by my "Go to" strains and breeders.

My worry is that breeders I don't know about are doing better work than the people I already use. I have watched a few quality companies fall by the waste side for one reason or another. I have also seen a few new companies doing great work. I am sure there are more.

There were tons of old outlaws breeding their own weed. With legalization some of these outlaws are coming out of the shadows. Bringing with them new and old genetics that people have not seen. I know that the outlaw genetics I grow are every bit as good as the store bought strain of the same time frame.

I have to admit. Even within all the craziness. I am seeing great new trends. 2 seed breeders working together with their best genetics. It is one thing to buy seeds from a strain and cross the best pheno with your best genetics. It is a whole different story if you get their best pheno of a strain, from them and them make your hybrid. There is going to be some great strains coming from these collaborations. My first strain of this type is The New from HSO. We will see if my thinking is right.

Anyone that has watched strains for any amount of time. Has seen the basics of how most of these breeders breed. They see one hybrid after another crossed with the same pollen. They make lots of hybrids just to see what works. You don't have to see that very long to think, "I can do that". In some case's they can. Lots of people don't realize just how much difference there is between good and great plants. You really need a great pheno for breeding.

One thing to mention. If they found one great phenotype in a strain. You can too. What you do with it is up to the grower.

Did you pop any beans yet?? I just grabbed a pack of The New. Got it at a GREAT price too from one of our ex-sponsors.

Kinda costy but so are the fem packs from In House.

I keep reaching for the old school genetics. I like SnowHigh for that reason he collected a bunch of landrace hard to get seed and bred them with keeping those genetics as a guide. He breeds with male flower and not reversals.

Yeah I have 3 of The New going in veg now. I just up potted to their flower pots. Great looking plants. One is a bit short but it makes up for it in branches. One just like it but taller and one tall phenotype. I plan to clone them all and see which one or ones I like the best. From what I have heard there might be multiple keepers. If I get 2 I like I will keep both

One of the main things that bothers me about all the new breeders and strains. Is what am I missing out on?

No-negativity EDIT: I couldn't say.

I used to work in the seed corn industry. We had what was termed parent seed (Male and female) that was bred with patented traits that was used to produce the seed that farmers grow. Weed seeds are not even close to being bred that way. Until the industry produces their seeds with traits that are genetically identified and owned (and there by licensed) their seeds the way Pioneer, Ag Reliant, etc. do corn seed, weed seeds are a gamble no matter who breeds them. I want to be able to buy GG#4 seeds that will produce the same plant the way I can buy a variety of corn from any seed producer and know it is that variety and it will produce the exact same plant not a similar plant. I want the same genetics which is not what we have now in the weed industry.

Elvin. Those days are long lost for the marijuana industry.
Actually the weed seed industry is where the corn/soybean seed industry was before genetic traits where identified/manipulated and licenced. Farmers planted the corn from one year to the next. There are genetic traits in weed that can be identified and patented just like in agricultural grain seed. The parent seed I referred to sells for $4000 a bag because of the licenced traits that were bred into them. The seed it produces sells for $250 per 80,000 seeds. The regular corn seed that the organic farmers buy (is not organic seed but that is another disscussion) corn seed sells for under well under $200 by comparison. That is the future of weed not the past. 300 bushel corn is almost here because of genetics and the ability to use micronutrients. Weed seeds need to be the same no matter who you buy it from just like corn seed. It may have a different name via who sells it but you can identify the ones are the same seed with a little study. I know that of the three big local producers around here they will run out and buy it from a competitor and put it in their bags to sell because it is the same seed not just called the same name.
Weed seeds are not the genetic same between producers unlike agricultural seeds that are and that will occur in the future, hopefully soon.

There are labs that do genetic testing of cannabis now, for (among other things,) that which you mentioned. A web-search will bring up two or three companies. I think Steep Hill Labs might be one such.

I thought years ago that the SOB David Watson was trying to get "his" genetics into as many different cannabis varieties as possible, with intentions of eventually obtaining ownership "via the back door," as it were. But I don't know how well that would have worked. I know he wanted to create strains that had a pretty limited lifetime (e.g., customer-produced seeds next thing to worthless and no longer feasible to keep mother plants because either they die after a year or two, or the clones fizzle out) because he bragged about it a good while back. Frankly, I'm surprised that he never ended up being found stuffed into a culvert (or not found at all), but... IDK. Too much "can't we all just get along crap with stoners, I guess. <SHRUGS> Which works fine if 100% of the universe is equally cripple-headed. I've never seen a carnivore that honored an herbivore's dietary suggestions, though. Which is why that @sshole Carl Sagan probably committed the ultimate f*ckup when he insisted location/etc. information be added to the Voyager spacecraft.

I am sure once weed is Federally legalized the geneticswill be mapped and we will be able to buy true varieties just like AGR 7014 corn seed can be bought from Pioneer under a different name (and will be sold between them if one runs out) with both of them buying the refuge seed portion from Syngenta if their own refuge isn't enough (bad crop) or they need a special refuge seed. It truly is the same seed between them all (they licence traits from companies like Monsanto or each other)

Actually the weed seed industry is where the corn/soybean seed industry was before genetic traits where identified/manipulated and licenced. Farmers planted the corn from one year to the next. There are genetic traits in weed that can be identified and patented just like in agricultural grain seed. The parent seed I referred to sells for $4000 a bag because of the licenced traits that were bred into them. The seed it produces sells for $250 per 80,000 seeds. The regular corn seed that the organic farmers buy (is not organic seed but that is another disscussion) corn seed sells for under well under $200 by comparison. That is the future of weed not the past. 300 bushel corn is almost here because of genetics and the ability to use micronutrients. Weed seeds need to be the same no matter who you buy it from just like corn seed. It may have a different name via who sells it but you can identify the ones are the same seed with a little study. I know that of the three big local producers around here they will run out and buy it from a competitor and put it in their bags to sell because it is the same seed not just called the same name.
Weed seeds are not the genetic same between producers unlike agricultural seeds that are and that will occur in the future, hopefully soon.
Monsanto among others want that too. im not for it, here's my simple uneducated reason, i do not trust them, grew up near a town w one of their buildings .... superfund site to say the least and ive seen what lic of genetics in seed has done to farmers in India and elsewhere, suicides abound...In the US, lawsuits and suicidesabound, organic farmers have drift seed from other farmers nearby, plants grow monsanto agents find it and sue .... not too uncommon at all sadly. i want wild cannabis stock and hybrids non gmo'd and well screw homogeneous results, the gems weren't found in that as far as i know... anyhow... to happy days...

Back
Top Bottom