I have a hydro system... Now what?

Itz Joey

I purchased this system: DARK HYDROPONIC GROW GARDEN SYSTEM NUTRIENTS 8 PLANTS

I plan on growing a few low ryders as I live in an apt building and I want to keep my grow discrete.

Also I plan on using CFL lights. One question is how many should I use and what Wattage if I am growing 3 low ryder ak-47?

I also plan on using a cardboard housing with mylar for light reflection along with a large computer fan that is battery operated.

What else would I need for this to be successful? What nutes and how often should I use them? Again the CFL lighting Question above.

Thanks in adavnce ladies and gents. :thanks:

Generally most growers look at the SqFt-age of their grow box/room. We like to use 30w-50w of light PER Square Foot for Veg. Flowering takes the lower kelven spectrum of lighting so buy some 2700 Cfl bulbs for flowering. I try to use the 50w/SqFt rule when flowerinf to ensure I have enough light and light penitration for the lower bud development. So figure your square footage and work from there.

Well, if you can afford it, I would highly recommend Advanced Nutrients. I'm on my second hydro grow, and I'm using the nutrients in their "Hobbyist" package, which includes Sensi Grow and Sensi Bloom (both 2-part), Voodoo Juice, B-52, Big Bud, and Overdrive. In addition, I will use AN's Final Phase to flush in the last week.

I used AN for my first grow, but I screwed up pretty badly simply due to lack of knowledge, and burned them pretty bad. I still ended up with a decent harvest.

So, on my second hydro grow, I'm trying to get everything just right. I used Advanced Nutrient's online nutrient calculator, and it's great. You put in the size of your reservoir, which base you want to use (like Sensi Grow or Sensi Bloom) and what level grower you are, and it gives you a table of the needed nutrients week by week.

I started my new clones out on 10% strength for two days, then upped it 10% every 2 days thereafter. Since the clones were small, I didn't purge and refill the reservoir for the first two weeks. Growth was so phenomenal, that, after two weeks, the plants were so tall (12" to 18") that I had to begin the flowering cycle. I should add that I'm growing Kali Mist, mostly Sativa, which tends to grow tall. Now, less than three weeks into flowering, they are over three feet tall and covered with dime-sized buds. Since the second week, I change the nutrients in the reservoir every week.

This all comes at a cost -- those nutes aren't cheap. Expect to pay $250 to $300, buying in the liter sizes. However, they will get you through several crops, depending on how big your reservoir or how many plants you're growing. You mainly will have to re-purchase the Sensi Grow and Bloom. For my 12 gallon reservoir, I only used a few ounces of Voodoo Juice, by far the most expensive of these, during the first four weeks, and won't need any more of it for the rest of the grow. So that quart will last me through another 4 grows or so.

Other nutes may work as well. I just don't have experience with them. AN's nutes aren't cheap, but I figure on harvesting upwards of a pound of buds under my little 400 watt light. That's about $4800 I don't have to pay for my meds.

Peace,

Ruckatruck

I purchased this system: DARK HYDROPONIC GROW GARDEN SYSTEM NUTRIENTS 8 PLANTS

I plan on growing a few low ryders as I live in an apt building and I want to keep my grow discrete.

Also I plan on using CFL lights. One question is how many should I use and what Wattage if I am growing 3 low ryder ak-47?

I also plan on using a cardboard housing with mylar for light reflection along with a large computer fan that is battery operated.

What else would I need for this to be successful? What nutes and how often should I use them? Again the CFL lighting Question above.

Thanks in adavnce ladies and gents. :thanks:

:welcome:

Hydroponics is a lot of fun and you're in the right place! The only thing I will say is Advanced Nutes really knows their stuff, they put a lot of money into it. I wouldn't spend $250+ for nutes on your first grow though...just my opinion.

Everything you need to know is right here How to Grow Cannabis - Everything You Need to Know!

Good luck on your new adventure!

I'l go along with yarddog on the first time nuts. Go with something less expensive the first time through.

Also on CFL's, the more the better. I run about 250 watts per square foot in flowering. For small closet's, look into SCROG, you will get better light to more bud sites. Keep us posted, keep reading as much as you can.

Prairie

This is what I know. CFL's are only good for growing seeds and clones. In order to grow real plants you need to use MH and HPS. 400w or 600w to have a really good grow. Otherwise pack it in.

This is what I know. CFL's are only good for growing seeds and clones. In order to grow real plants you need to use MH and HPS. 400w or 600w to have a really good grow. Otherwise pack it in.

I'm not meaning this in a confrontational way, but would you mind giving us your definition of what a "real plant" is?

Perhaps some people are not looking for the same thing as you are. And if you are going to make statements of opinion, as if it were factual, would you mind pointing to resources that back up your claim?

I think a large part of the folks who visit here at 420Mag, are more of the micro to small medical grows. Few commercial growers and few personal huge growers.

I'm not meaning this in a confrontational way, but would you mind giving us your definition of what a "real plant" is?

Perhaps some people are not looking for the same thing as you are. And if you are going to make statements of opinion, as if it were factual, would you mind pointing to resources that back up your claim?

I think a large part of the folks who visit here at 420Mag, are more of the micro to small medical grows. Few commercial growers and few personal huge growers.

Well said Prairie :thumb: You hit the nail on the head.

I've noticed a bit of a trend here on the forums when it comes to giving advice. It seems some folks think it should be done their way or not done at all. The part at the end upset me a little-"In order to grow real plants you need to use MH and HPS. 400w or 600w to have a really good grow. Otherwise pack it in." That's garbage right there, not advice!

We all need to look at the big picture when it comes to giving advice. Not everyone can do things exactly like you think they should.

If I only had access to one cfl you better believe I would still grow...and get smoke out of it. Finally, I have never vegged with HID lights only flowered. I've pulled 4 oz of dried, manicured flowers off of those cfl vegged plants. They were real!

Ok, you got me with "real plant." After writing this, I went to my local hydro store and sitting in his store was a pepper plant that was under some high-end T-5 bulds. He swears by them. So, I would say if you can use high-out put T-5 bulds than use them. I think you can get them for both stages, veg and flowering.

PP, I'm still new to this hobby. Everyday is a learning experience. I don't offended easily. And I always apperiate input to what I write. I've also learned that every growing situation is different from the next.

To everyone, good luck on your grows.

WW1000, I'm a newbie here too but just as a fyi, I highly suggest you read tulips article on DWC using CFL's. Not even t5's but 42w-105w cfl's. It has certainly opened my eyes and has me really looking over all my grow options.

Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY

Back
Top Bottom