I have pollen sacs! Help! Optic foliar switch?

hazeluv69

I’ll get to it. I’m in flowering 9 plants. Week 4 in 2 days time. Conditions have been good. Growing a banana sherbet. Past two days I’ve noticed tiny balls that I have since determined after research to be pollen sacs, they have only been showing up on the lower parts of the plants and not all of them but I can’t keep count now, it seems like I’ve found 2-3 on each of them. Not in clusters. All single. I’m worried. I’ve been plucking and I plan to pluck until week 8 where I will harvest early. Will I get many seeds or none at all? They were not big sacs either very tiny just about noticeable but I sprayed with water and pulled. Any advice would be appreciated ! Also information on Optic Foliar Switch ? I also have a feeling that it is a genetic trait and I will not be running this strain again. I know they are hermies damn.

Really hard to say on seeds, depends how much, is any, pollen was released. If you can, shoot us a picture that might help. Seeds don't wreck your buds, they may not get quite as big, and seeds are a PITA to sort through, but the finished product will be fine. Since they're hermies I would discard the seeds.

Really hard to say on seeds, depends how much, is any, pollen was released. If you can, shoot us a picture that might help. Seeds don't wreck your buds, they may not get quite as big, and seeds are a PITA to sort through, but the finished product will be fine. Since they're hermies I would discard the seeds.
I don’t know if any pollen was released, I was in my tent for 3-4 hours today just looking around spending time and plucking , I have 9 plants and I found single balls here and there on lower levels. I can’t turn fans off due to humidity and mould etc. do the seeds grow on the inside or outside of the buds? If I pluck can I minimise any seeds, they are very small the balls I felt like I caught it early … and optic foliar switch any opinion?

Hi @hazeluv69 ! I suspect that you are being frightened by random female calyxes, which is where the seeds would grow if the plant had been pollinated. Sorry to challenge your paradigm, but there is no such thing as a pollen sack. Pollen is ejected from little tiny flowers that burst out of male clusters of pre-flowers, and there never is anything formed that could be called a pollen sack.

Hi @hazeluv69 ! I suspect that you are being frightened by random female calyxes, which is where the seeds would grow if the plant had been pollinated. Sorry to challenge your paradigm, but there is no such thing as a pollen sack. Pollen is ejected from little tiny flowers that burst out of male clusters of pre-flowers, and there never is anything formed that could be called a pollen sack.
Okay I am probably wrong then! But maybe I meant nanners but they weren’t growing out of budd more hiding behind , I’ll have to have another look tomorrow and if I spot one I’ll be sure to snap a picture . But either way if they are nanners growing on the bottom half not extreme at all maybe found 13 nanners on 9 plants ? Am I okay with plucking and keep going? How about keeping the fans off?

oh sorry... nanners... I can see how they could be called pollen sacks, sort of. One that pops open is enough to pollinate the entire room. I still think you are looking at empty calyxes though. Nanners are a little preflower right in the middle of a bud and they really do look like a banana. Let's see a picture. IMHO if you have more than one, it is time to execute that plant and start over.

Pictures are essential to determine what you have going on.
good catch, I didn’t equate single balls to possibly being calyxes, photos (in natural light) should be definitive.

Pictures are essential to determine what you have going on.

good catch, I didn’t equate single balls to possibly being calyxes, phots will be definitive.
oh sorry... nanners... I can see how they could be called pollen sacks, sort of. One that pops open is enough to pollinate the entire room. I still think you are looking at empty calyxes though. Nanners are a little preflower right in the middle of a bud and they really do look like a banana. Let's see a picture. IMHO if you have more than one, it is time to execute that plant and start over.
So I am in week 4, I’ll chop in week 8 earliest is 4 weeks enough time for seeds to produce? I’ll get a picture tomorrow if I can find anymore! Hope I do not! They were not in clusters either. I’ll give an update tomorrow. What’s your views on reverse sprays? I can’t throw them out ps or separate

So I am in week 4, I’ll chop in week 8 earliest is 4 weeks enough time for seeds to produce? I’ll get a picture tomorrow if I can find anymore! Hope I do not! They were not in clusters either. I’ll give an update tomorrow. What’s your views on reverse sprays? I can’t throw them out ps or separate
the important thing is not that seeds have enough time to develop into viable seeds, but that the plant is wasting energy that could be going into the buds toward developing those seeds. It will affect overall quality if all the buds get pollinated. Reverse sprays work, but you have to start early and hit it pretty hard. Its only to get male parts on a female plant... it doesn't work the other way around.

You’ll certainly find seeds if it was pollen. They grow inside the calyx, though you can usually see the seed coat sticking out of the bud. Don’t tie yourself to a chop date, they’ll be ready when they’re ready. Get us some pictures tomorrow, hopefully it’s “much ado about nothing”.

Couple pics from just now, haven’t noticed anything yet .

BB82B37C-4274-4365-BAFC-0A383AB1D057.jpeg

4B76369C-5716-4492-B034-9D0880FC9988.jpeg

82A43EB7-89BF-4ABA-B63F-17BAF0D7E518.jpeg

6F569CDB-EB16-4718-A6DE-5F0CE0494B22.jpeg

5D8486F2-A63F-45BD-8DDD-56E975085940.jpeg

28732078-FC68-4356-B746-2A5F907FDDDD.jpeg

I don't see any balls. You should have gotten close up pics at the nodes in white light or daylight though so we can see better. But, I'm pretty sure Em called it right. I jumped to the same conclusion she did when you said a single ball on each node. Balls grow in clusters like grapes. You don't usually see a single one on each node.

I don't see any balls. You should have gotten close up pics at the nodes in white light or daylight though so we can see better. But, I'm pretty sure Em called it right. I jumped to the same conclusion she did when you said a single ball on each node. Balls grow in clusters like grapes. You don't usually see a single one on each node.

270574CD-4AEC-43D8-805F-66941D21124D.jpeg

1C314BEA-87A7-402E-832E-A330B58D7A78.jpeg

E561E807-4F1B-4561-9354-8160D16C53F8.jpeg

AE3525E7-63EF-4DC6-BF5C-AD69AB02F91F.jpeg

FAAA56DA-E9FE-42AD-AA50-5349A21C97E0.jpeg

24697EA9-7B80-43A1-992A-AB02F2FBDA21.jpeg

C72CAC33-C3D7-4550-AF94-41E6B3742CEE.jpeg

2C2C61ED-5072-4E3F-805C-4819B0E7900D.jpeg

BA2E913C-93F4-436A-94E8-969DFE5604CB.jpeg

2DE11DC3-6FE1-4B0C-ADF1-EF3BB06D4371.jpeg

I don't see very many fan leaves left either. For plants with another 4 to 6 weeks, maybe more, to go this could be a problem before long.
I go in right at the end of veg and strip out the bottom third of my plants, just to get airflow and better light penetration. I just assumed that this was what we were seeing.

Hey how about these guys? I can tell they are swollen calyx but they have hair coming out them and seem a bit open. What are they? Generating seeds?

F3985171-7532-4772-91CB-673ECE954B60.jpeg

2D0502E7-99BB-418D-921A-9F98B33EEA90.jpeg

45921B57-4651-4DE8-83F4-FC5ED47599C5.jpeg

F36EF459-16E1-4751-9AF6-55DD284F6C2A.jpeg

BF4EE359-A11A-420F-9DB0-B437AF14B31A.jpeg

20AB6FAB-1291-43FC-BAD6-42DEFFF613B5.jpeg

It's nothing to worry about. Normal. I'm not really positive, but I think a pollen sack / ball would have to burst open & spread pollen onto buds / pistils in order to get seeds. At least that is the way it happened for me when one of my plants went Hermie & I didn't catch it in time. You can tell when a sack pops & spreads pollen. There will be leaves that look like they have powdered sugar on them.

I don't see anything to suggest a male or that it has been pollinated. If there are white hairs coming out of the calyx they probably have not been pollinated, usually as soon as pollination takes place the pistil shrivels. Unpollinated, the pistils stay white for quite a while.

Back
Top Bottom