I need a good super soil recipe

PCaddict

I have compost, magic dirt potting soil, Mykos, Azomite , Earthworm Castings, Bat Guano, DiatomaceousEarth, Fox Farm Ocean Forest Organic Potting Soil, Coco Fiber, Organic Perlite. What else should I add ? I have a lot of money in what I have now but I am sure I need other things like maybe Dolomite Lime, Blood mill etc. but I am not sure what else I will need to add. Any help would be appreciated Thank You.

Start off by doing a search with your favorite search engine using the term:
Super Soil

You should be able to find links to about 3 or 4 different recipes in a matter of seconds. Look at the recipes, either write them down or print them out. Read what is said about why each recipe is supposed to be one of the absolute best. Figure out why the person who developed the recipe came up with the ingredients he or she did. Take your recipes to the store and see what is available.

The list of stuff you have bought already is to much and not everything that is needed. More research and reading will help you build a super soil that is tailored to your growing method.

A basic starter mix is 1 part peat moss, 1 part mineral soil and 1 part Perlite. There are reasons for each. This is good starter for growing just about anything from flowers to vegetables.

To that mix you will have to add your amendments which should some basics. These can be Kelp, Shrimp or Crustacean Meal, Neem Seed meal, and some crushed mineral rock. And, the magic stuff is to add some innoculated Bio-Char which should end up being about 10% of the final mix.

Since you have already started buying stuff....well, you are buying more than you need, not enough of some others and buying stuff that is unnecessary. Well, stop buying stuff until you are ready and understand what you need for a decent super soil.

Try not to open any packaging yet. Some of them you might be able to take back. One example is the Mykos. The beneficial bacteria that you would be using that for are already in the compost and the earthworm castings. That was an unnecessary expense at this time. Not sure why you need the Diatomaceous Earth. Oh, you will need it but in the future do not pay extra for Organic Perlite. Perlite is made by humans from volcanic rock, it is not artificial or made with crude oil, all Perlite is in and of itself organic.

Lot of reading to do, but when you have the list together and understand why the items are on that list you will realize just how great you super soil will be once you are done mixing.

Have fun reading the new info.

Thank You... You are right about me needing to learn why I would use each ingredient. The perlite I got from amazon was the same price as the others so I picked the one that said organic. That is what I an asking what should I add and why. I have been watching videos on different super soil mixes so I am a little confused on what to add and why. I could follow what the videos add in their soil but. So what do I have now that I don't need and what else should I add and why? I know I probably need to add Dolomite lime maybe peat moss for a buffer but do I need to add blood mill also neamseed mill for pest control. I will do more research. I was wanting input from the members to see what they say to add delete etc. Thanks again

Biochar is one of the things I was going to get I was also going to get Kelp Mill. I have a long list of other things but as you said I will try to find what to add and why. Is there any reason to not add coco fiber ?

..... but do I need to add blood mill also neamseed mill for pest control. I will do more research. I was wanting input from the members to see what they say to add delete etc. Thanks again
You are on the right track. The Blood Meal (the word is not mill) provides some fast nitrogen and a good soil will not need it for the first grow or two. The compost in your mix should have enough nitrogen to provide what the plants need for awhile. The Neem Seed Meal might help with insect control but not much. Its big contribution in my opinion is that is provides for the slow release of Nitrogen. Plus, my box of Need Seed Meal also lists 1% available Phosphate and 2% soluble Potash.

I am leery of watching videos. You can spend 7 minutes per video for a couple of seconds worth of information which is why I suggest some research and reading. Here is a link from this message board. I know that it is 77 pages long but it is worth reading.

https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/building-a-better-soil-demonstrations-discussions-of-organic-soil-recipes.245223/
Thank You once again I will read that post and try to figure out what to add and why. I have also noticed that about videos.

Biochar is one of the things I was going to get I was also going to get Kelp Mill. I have a long list of other things but as you said I will try to find what to add and why. Is there any reason to not add coco fiber ?
This is just my way of looking at that. Coco coir fiber is organic but it is very slow decomposition. Bury a coconut shell in the garden and dig it up every spring and see how long it takes to decompose....it is more than 2 years. Its main benefit is to help keep the soil loose and aerated. I feel that the Perlite and the peat moss provide that. Also, use to much coco fiber and the soil will not hold water as long as using peat moss will.

This is just my way of looking at that. Coco coir fiber is organic but it is very slow decomposition. Bury a coconut shell in the garden and dig it up every spring and see how long it takes to decompose....it is more than 2 years. Its main benefit is to help keep the soil loose and aerated. I feel that the Perlite and the peat moss provide that. Also, use to much coco fiber and the soil will not hold water as long as using peat moss will.
I will use the coco for other plants and get some peat moss instead. Will the peat moss also buffer the plants or do I need to add dolomite lime as a buffer for PH

Could I use Hydroton Original Clay Pebbles would there be any reason to use them or not to use them? I was also thinking about using black gold soil with the ocean forest and happy frog soils I have the ocean forest. the soils have a few different ingredients so would it hurt to use all three ?

I will use the coco for other plants and get some peat moss instead. Will the peat moss also buffer the plants or do I need to add dolomite lime as a buffer for PH
Peat is acidic, and will lower the pH. I grow in Sunshine mix which is peat/perlite/dolomite/gypsum and a wetting agent(soap). It's not soil, though. It's a hydroponic grow media. Perlite is neutral pH. The dolomite raises the pH, and the gypsum buffers it(reduces pH drift).

Peat is acidic, and will lower the pH. I grow in Sunshine mix which is peat/perlite/dolomite/gypsum and a wetting agent(soap). It's not soil, though. It's a hydroponic grow media. Perlite is neutral pH. The dolomite raises the pH, and the gypsum buffers it(reduces pH drift).
It sounds like I need to get all four , peat/perlite/dolomite/gypsum Is that right for an organic soil ?

It sounds like I need to get all four , peat/perlite/dolomite/gypsum Is that right for an organic soil ?
Those are all organic components. I've never done super soil. I grow organically in the greenhouse in Mother Earth, and on my rare indoor grow it's hydro.

I am thinking I should use the buildasoil CC soil mix kit. Is there anything I should add ? Maybe Dolomite lime and get some Biochar. I already have Azoimite , Worm castings, bat guano, Mykos , and some good compost my buddy makes up Grass clippings, fruits, and vegetables, saw dust etc. Also 2 bags of FF Oceanforst Any input from members would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom