I need help my plant is dying

dumbo1369

420 Member
I need help with my plants they look like I can save them I just don't know what to do

They are bag seeds so I have no clue what type of seed they are.

There 3 seedling growing Abt just one month old.

The temperature is normally between 70-78

They are kept in box about 16in x 12in x 20in

The box inside has a hole in the top for the lamp and then had a hole on the side and the box is wrapped with aluminum foil.

I have no humidity control but I'm asking how important that is?

Plants are Abt 3in tall and I water them once a week on Mondays .

The light is on timer outlet and it's set for,
On:14hours.
Off:10 hours.
I had the light on less but I recently change that and I'm wondering what hours should I change it too

The light is just a bulb I bought from Walmart

IMG_20230109_221404.jpg

IMG_20230109_215047.jpg

IMG_20230109_215040.jpg

IMG_20230109_215035.jpg

IMG_20230109_215021.jpg

IMG_20230109_214910.jpg

IMG_20230109_214905.jpg

Screenshot_20230109-221746.png

Screenshot_20230109-221739.png

Screenshot_20230109-221728.png

I have to agree with Nunya on this one. Things don't look good, but they can be saved. But you'll need a better light for one. That light works for starting seeds & that's about it. Now you need 10 - 20 of them to have enough light or 1 decent light that's at least a 100 watt LED.
Coco isn't the easiest to grow in when you're new to this. I'd start with soil as it's way more forgiving & you have time to fix any issues that arise. With Coco you better be on your toes & know what you're doing so you can fix the issue fast because things happen 5 times faster in Coco.
I like to start my seeds in 1 gal. pots. I'd also read @Emilya Green watering tutorial so you water properly. It's real easy to overwater a seedling & kill it.

Ok so should I just get ride of the box all together and I should get a better light correct? And then I should get a bigger pot. Does it have to be a fabric pot or does it at least need to be 1-4gal and if I get a 100w light how long should it be on for and what temperature am I looking for the plant

Also where can I find nutrients can I just be normal plant nutrients you can find at the grocery store or it something that needs to be found online
No your need nutes made for coco.
If your using coco.
Now if you was in soil a cheap fix tomato nutes local supermaket.
IF you want to grow for real a light a small tent and proper nutes is a must.
I wont go over whats already been said.
But wwoww friend plants even small like yours need coco/soil.
Its like there trying to take a bath in a sink.
:)

I need help with my plants they look like I can save them I just don't know what to do

They are bag seeds so I have no clue what type of seed they are.

There 3 seedling growing Abt just one month old.

The temperature is normally between 70-78

They are kept in box about 16in x 12in x 20in

The box inside has a hole in the top for the lamp and then had a hole on the side and the box is wrapped with aluminum foil.

I have no humidity control but I'm asking how important that is?

Plants are Abt 3in tall and I water them once a week on Mondays .

The light is on timer outlet and it's set for,
On:14hours.
Off:10 hours.
I had the light on less but I recently change that and I'm wondering what hours should I change it too

The light is just a bulb I bought from Walmart

IMG_20230109_221404.jpg

IMG_20230109_215047.jpg

IMG_20230109_215040.jpg

IMG_20230109_215035.jpg

IMG_20230109_215021.jpg

IMG_20230109_214910.jpg

IMG_20230109_214905.jpg

Screenshot_20230109-221746.png

Screenshot_20230109-221739.png

Screenshot_20230109-221728.png
Get her out that pot into bigger home she will.be fine

Coco coir and soil are not the same thing…. For 1 coco coir is inert, there are zero nutrients in coco to sustain a plant; it’s merely a place where roots can live if you provide for the plants other needs such as light, nutes & environmental conditions.

Plants grown in coco must be bottle fed nutrients… with PH set is hydro range of 5.8 Also plain water does nothing to help plants in coco to grow. Plants grown in coco shroud never be allowed to fully dry out, coco must stay moist. Feed nutes plus water each time ph to 5.8

Peat pots are supposed to allow roots to penetrate side walls, but we’ve seen probs using those before. Imho peat pots need to be soaked & dried out over several days before use to soften uo side walls, or peeled off & transplanted. Plants do not respond well to growing in a bowl, there’s less air movement and more radiated heat. Fill your pots to the rim with grow media of your choice whether it’s soil or coco

Fans moving air will help strengthen plant stems so yes please ditch the cardboard box. You can have great light, great bean genetics but if enviro is wrong growth will suffer. Get a hygrometer and keep it near top of your plants canopy. With indoors gardening it’s not enough to monitor environment, you must be able to control it.

the cotyledons (2 rounds leaves that open first) anywho cotys are backup food source for young seedlings, once the plant starts growing if nutes are not available then the seedling will suck life out of the cotys and plant will begin to shrivel up and die

with above being said your babies need a dose of nutrients right away…. there’s no grub to refuel a plants engine in coco coir…

welcome aboard 1369, it’s good to have other numbers represent here!

Those compostable cups are a nightmare. When I first started growing I tried them. All my plants ended up root bound within them EVEN AFTER I planted them in the ground.

They sounded like a great idea, but in the end they were really just trouble for me. All the members here have provided great information. Larger pot, soil is more forgiving, and a larger light.

Plan ahead and be ready to have the plants in COMPLETE darkness to flower. Light infiltration breeds a whole other set of problems for photo period plants/seeds.

Lights are a major investment, but totally make the difference in a grow. Especially if you plan on flowering the plant; which we all plan on. Our sponsors have a great selection of lights for the novice and experienced growers.

We all start somewhere and this craft is ever evolving. We learn and continue to grow. 🪴

I do not think that those are peat pots or cups. At first I thought that they were but after looking at the photos I think that they are pieces of cardboard tube like what is used for paper towel or toilet paper rolls.

Count down to the 6th photo. It looks like a piece of a cardboard tube slipped over the seedlings to help prop them up because they have gotten too tall for the thickness of the stem. The "cell pack" had the coco in each cell and the piece of tube is resting on the coco which makes it look like peat cups with just a spoonful of coco. The second photo also makes it look like they are not peat cups.

I copied that photo, cropped it down a bit and showed two plant stems in one cell. There is a stem can be followed from arrow to arrow. To the left there is a cell that has 1 plant in it and the tube looks like cardboard layers are starting to separate which is something that the peat cups do not do. The long stems on young seedlings like this are an indication that the light is not strong enough.

tubes.jpg

I do not think that those are peat pots or cups. At first I thought that they were but after looking at the photos I think that they are pieces of cardboard tube like what is used for paper towel or toilet paper rolls.

Count down to the 6th photo. It looks like a piece of a cardboard tube slipped over the seedlings to help prop them up because they have gotten too tall for the thickness of the stem. The "cell pack" had the coco in each cell and the piece of tube is resting on the coco which makes it look like peat cups with just a spoonful of coco. The second photo also makes it look like they are not peat cups.

I copied that photo, cropped it down a bit and showed two plant stems in one cell. There is a stem can be followed from arrow to arrow. To the left there is a cell that has 1 plant in it and the tube looks like cardboard layers are starting to separate which is something that the peat cups do not do. The long stems on young seedlings like this are an indication that the light is not strong enough.

tubes.jpg

This looks like it's a cardboard from a toilet paper, it's just from something much bigger and thicker and not too good for his roots probably.

Mate, I think that if you get rid of that cardboard box, transplant them in soil, get a descent light (not a wallmart lamp), cheap fertilizer and they will get better.

P.S. they barely have any soil/coco to hold on...😱

I've fallen for the Grow Light LED bulb scams too. They just don't work. The weak, lanky stems on your plants are clear indications that the light is just not enough.

In my experience, aim for at least 40W LED bulb per plant. This will allow you to keep a distance of about 6 inches from bulb to top of plant, without causing any heat stress.

Also you need a lot more soil. 2-3 gallon pots at the very least.

Sharing my own DIY setup. 2.5 gal fabric pots each. 40W LED bulbs fixed into a Canvas board by carving out holes to fit the bulb holders. Plant to bulb distance ~ 6 inches. 18/6 Cycle.
Cheap PC exhaust fan that runs 1 hr on/ 1 hr off. Helps air circulation and "hardening off" the seedlings.

You don't need to keep a strict control on the Temp & Humidity but avoid any extremes - too hot/ too cold/ too warm/ too dry. My temp varies from a low of about 68F to a high of about 90F through the day. Humidity varies from 35% to 60%.

I control my light & fan through a couple of Smart Switches that are connected to my WiFi and controlled by an app.

tempImagea2RrnY.png

tubes.jpg
Those bulbs just isn't enough light invest in u good quantum board bestva has good one out 69 $ bp1000 I bought one well worth the money here are the results proof in the puddin

1673452098684663572411857366206.jpg

Your plants look like they have better days coming. You care, enough to reach out and get help.

We are all here to help.

First off. You can spend as much or as little as you would like. You will get back what you invest.

Many have spent all the money. But never paid attention to the basics from the beginning.

Then you have growers able to build, make, or source everything they need for next to nothing. Producing top shelf herb

Lighting is important. Don't go broke, but plan ahead. most growers usually end up growing more plants or bigger tents.

Your plant feeds off of the light.

Food/nutrients are important. But again they can be as expensive or as cheap as you want. There are several growers on this forum using very cheap bulk nutrients. With great results. Plants need to eat. You can starve them. But do you want to starve your plant of the goods you want it to produce!?

We all want to get high on our own supply!!

Know your grow medium! Some soils are packed with nutrients that are sustainable for a period of time. Others you need a plan for feedings, maintenance, etc

Your box is irrelevant for now.

Many grow in custom, diy, boxes, tents, rooms, basements, etc

Just know where you grow. Try to keep it cleaned up. Free of pest, and fire hazards. Below is my Wally box turned into the Germling. Where my mystery beans are flourishing! Under a beautiful @ViparSpectra Ks 2500

20221229_123118.jpg
20230112_135804.jpg
20230112_135825.jpg

Your plants look like they have better days coming. You care, enough to reach out and get help.

We are all here to help.

First off. You can spend as much or as little as you would like. You will get back what you invest.

Many have spent all the money. But never paid attention to the basics from the beginning.

Then you have growers able to build, make, or source everything they need for next to nothing. Producing top shelf herb

Lighting is important. Don't go broke, but plan ahead. most growers usually end up growing more plants or bigger tents.

Your plant feeds off of the light.

Food/nutrients are important. But again they can be as expensive or as cheap as you want. There are several growers on this forum using very cheap bulk nutrients. With great results. Plants need to eat. You can starve them. But do you want to starve your plant of the goods you want it to produce!?

We all want to get high on our own supply!!

Know your grow medium! Some soils are packed with nutrients that are sustainable for a period of time. Others you need a plan for feedings, maintenance, etc

Your box is irrelevant for now.

Many grow in custom, diy, boxes, tents, rooms, basements, etc

Just know where you grow. Try to keep it cleaned up. Free of pest, and fire hazards. Below is my Wally box turned into the Germling. Where my mystery beans are flourishing! Under a beautiful @ViparSpectra Ks 2500

20221229_123118.jpg
20230112_135804.jpg
20230112_135825.jpg
Off to a great start.:green_heart:

@dumbo1369 - welcome to the life. :welcome:

you're doing good, everyone starts somewhere. a lot of folk don't even get them to germinate first time out. you just need to reset and get the basics covered. first decide which media, as you've started in coco, i'd stay there. you'll need the media (coco), some pots, nutes matched for the media, and some better lighting.

you'll need to plan a place to grow them, such as a tent, converted closet, or self-built area. you can catch that up on the way. look at some journals using coco, and make note of the type of spaces and how they are set.

get a journal going and let us know. there's lots of help here, and folk will guide you past some of the more common mistakes and issues. don't be afraid to ask questions.

@OGpapa - slide those seedlings into a coloured outer cup. cannabis roots hate light and will self prune near it, slowing your plant development about a wk or so and possibly stunting permanent. make sure both cups have holes for drainage.

lot of folk don't even get them to germinate first time out.

OP Just look around this site.. there’s hundreds of threads dedicated just to getting the seeds to open. Don’t get discouraged. Use this as an opportunity to learn. You couldn’t have bought a better community than this one to learn from.

Back
Top Bottom