I need help, please, with a specific PH question that is not answered in 'sticky'

Smokrates

Hey Everyone!
I have PH 7.0 water. My soil is supposed to be 7.0 (even says so right there on the bag). Plants are 3 week seedlings in 2 liter pots with brand new out of the bag potting soil. Soil drains quickly out bottom of pots. No nutes yet, just plain water. The plants look like they are having nute problems even though the soil is a complete but not a "hot" soil.

Today I watered them fully and got good runoff and drainage. Then I checked my runoff PH. Using liquid drops designed for hydro systems, the runoff tested at 8.0 ph! I triple checked and always the same. Checked tap water and it is as it always has been -- 7.0 ph.

So, two questions, the first not so important. What may be causing this other than the soil already being that high? (Like I said, new soil, no nutes).

Second and more important question(s) is what the hell can I do about it?
Can I just use PH down and water them with a 6.0 ph water and/or nute solution?
How low can I safely go with PH Down water and not affect roots badly?

I will continue to test runoff water as we go forward, but I would really love some good advice from those in the know. Thanks a lot!

Thank you kind sir! Ha ha. I almost gave up on that thread link because it was all soil amendments stuff, to be done before planting, like all the other places I found before posting.

But, lo and behold, toward the end they hit on exactly what I needed. I appreciate the time and effort. Peace bro'.

1. Tell us what soil you have. The soil might have something additional in it to stabilize the ph like lime or something. This can cause the ph to be higher.
2. I've used white vinegar to lower mine by a tiny amount but for bigger changes use the ph down. I can't recommend any straight amounts to use though, I would research it a bit more on this site, the info is out there somewhere.
3. Keep an eye on that ph until things even out.

Back
Top Bottom