I need some help please! Insects, pests and/or nutrient problems

Hambone555

Hi guys,

I noticed a few things on my babies this weekend not sure what step to take next.

The one circled in yellow, it’s kind of grey in colour... not sure why. My environment isn’t humid at all. On good days it’s between 50% and 63% humidity. (But today it’s at 40% MAX) this is with a humidifier.

The temperature is between 21 Celsius and 27 Celcius.

I have some mild discolouration a few of them. Lighter spots of green

Nutrients list
Fish tank water ( very clean )
Nova flow grow
Molasses
Mycorrhizae (Great White)
Ph of water is 6.1 to 6.8

Medium
Mycorrhizae (Pro Mix)
Worm castings
Epsom salt
Bee pollen
Dolomite lime
Kelp meal
Mycorrhizae (Great white)

Hope this helps

See the picks below. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thank you
B03EC0A1-4F45-49F0-9D81-498B99776089.jpeg
5463D80C-2EC2-4CD5-AF52-4EC22B352EA6.jpeg
40B861BC-E643-400E-AB16-F70B0B00F1BE.jpeg
F53F7093-3169-40C1-8F5A-B456B08A9745.jpeg
5463D80C-2EC2-4CD5-AF52-4EC22B352EA6.jpeg
40B861BC-E643-400E-AB16-F70B0B00F1BE.jpeg
F53F7093-3169-40C1-8F5A-B456B08A9745.jpeg
99973751-D13C-417C-A346-31DCA9A7ACEA.jpeg
ED0268D3-0FD2-4573-B5AC-E4BD9BCCB5D3.jpeg
F29164B6-31D1-4B10-983D-257DAACAF09D.jpeg

ALSO NOTE: I’m of Day 5 of “Hardening them Off” only 2 hours a day. Shaded to mild shaded areas

as long as you are watering correctly and not doing any crazy nute regimen the two problems you have on that plant arent going to hurt anything.
seedlings for me, have often had weird little leaf issues, i have learned to ignore them and just let the plant do its thing.
have not had a single seed not sprout and go to finish so far.
as long as your medium is good and your watering is good without a shitton of nutes the plant will be fine

believe me when i first had plants growing i would post all the time super worried about dumb stuff. best thing i ever learned how to do was leave the plants alone lol

Looks like a little of both.
The light green spot on the one leaf is just a natural deformity nothing to worry about.
You gotta couple leaves looks like leaf hoppers had a chew.
The one brown spot looks more like a nutrient water burn from splash.

The dark center on the top of the other looking like early purple coming in.

And if they're going outside then gird yer loins because you're going to get a lot more of type of stuff.

The center new growth being a different color is normal... this does not worry me.
What does worry me though are the holes that have been eaten in your leaves. This is not a deficiency, this is bugs. Looking carefully at the little white pinprick holes in the leaf that has had the hole eaten in it make me strongly suspect spider mites. If I am right, you need to get on eliminating them immediately.

First. Check for mites. Check damaged leaves with a microscope. If you don't find any but are still worried the first and quickest way without straining your eyes looking at every leaf, is to put a torch up or bright lamp facing the front of the leaf and look through the leaf from the back. You will see every tiny black dot all at once instead of a microscopes tiny point of reference. If you see anything suspicious then grab the microscope. I usually see bits of the substrate, dust and other stuff through the light method aswell.

maybe do a look around for a grasshopper too, just in case, they can wreak havoc but usually, you hear them before seeing them lol

besides the potential munching of those tasty leaves, I think everything else looks very healthy.
:goodluck:

as long as you are watering correctly and not doing any crazy nute regimen the two problems you have on that plant arent going to hurt anything.
seedlings for me, have often had weird little leaf issues, i have learned to ignore them and just let the plant do its thing.
have not had a single seed not sprout and go to finish so far.
as long as your medium is good and your watering is good without a shitton of nutes the plant will be fine

believe me when i first had plants growing i would post all the time super worried about dumb stuff. best thing i ever learned how to do was leave the plants alone lol
Awesome!!! Thank you! Exactly!! I kind of heard and read up on that too. But sometimes your mind thinks that you’re not doing enough.

Another thing I noticed today. Is that my Ph level for my soil is at 7. But I have testing my water’s Ph. (Used Ph UP & DOWN as necessary) between 6.0 and 6.2

I have also tested the Ph levels after mixing my nutrients and adjusted them accordingly. Am I testing the Ph levels too soon after mixing? Should I let me nutrient solution rest for a few hours and then measure the Ph levels?

I’ve calibrated my Ph meter twice this month too. ‍♂️

First. Check for mites. Check damaged leaves with a microscope. If you don't find any but are still worried the first and quickest way without straining your eyes looking at every leaf, is to put a torch up or bright lamp facing the front of the leaf and look through the leaf from the back. You will see every tiny black dot all at once instead of a microscopes tiny point of reference. If you see anything suspicious then grab the microscope. I usually see bits of the substrate, dust and other stuff through the light method aswell.

maybe do a look around for a grasshopper too, just in case, they can wreak havoc but usually, you hear them before seeing them lol

besides the potential munching of those tasty leaves, I think everything else looks very healthy.
:goodluck:
Cool! Thank you! I will try that light test soon. Def no grasshoppers around. I have them in a pretty sterile environment. Used to be my dry storage for the food truck.

I check them daily, so... I am also going to do a preventative organic pest control next week. Then start on organic Silica 1 week before transplanting them outside

Looks like a little of both.
The light green spot on the one leaf is just a natural deformity nothing to worry about.
You gotta couple leaves looks like leaf hoppers had a chew.
The one brown spot looks more like a nutrient water burn from splash.

The dark center on the top of the other looking like early purple coming in.

And if they're going outside then gird yer loins because you're going to get a lot more of type of stuff.
Leaf hoppers..??? I’m assuming that’s slang for pests...? Lol

Nutrient burn from a splash is possible.

I hear ya on the issues once I transplant outside. ‍♂️ I had 4 last year from clones for my first time and turned pretty decent considering I had no idea what the hell I was doing. But this year I dove in head first and started from seed.

I’ve been doing my homework as best as I can to this point as of August last year. Still have tons to learn and will get easier with more grows under my belt, I’m sure.

Another thing I noticed today. Is that my Ph level for my soil is at 7. But I have testing my water’s Ph. (Used Ph UP & DOWN as necessary) between 6.0 and 6.2

I have also tested the Ph levels after mixing my nutrients and adjusted them accordingly. Am I testing the Ph levels too soon after mixing? Should I let me nutrient solution rest for a few hours and then measure the Ph levels?
Pay no attention to what you think the soil pH is. In actuality it is usually set to be at the upper end of the soil pH range, typically at 6.7-6.8, and it sounds like yours is right where it needs to be. This allows for an upward drift in pH as your soil dries out.... You water at 6.3 where all elements are the most mobile, and as the water table drops and the soil starts to dry out, that region drifts upwards toward the base pH of the soil. You come in at 6.3 and the soil takes you through the entire usable soil pH range. It is a beautiful system.
Don't second guess your adjustments, thinking that you somehow need to adjust to the soil. Just come in at 6.3 every time, and the soil will take care of the rest, just as it is designed to do. Also, mix up your nutes and test the pH right before you want to apply it to the soil. It will drift over time just sitting in a pitcher as co2 mixes with the water and the minerals and the nutes. You really don't want your nutes to settle out after mixing them either... Just mix it, test it and apply it... 6.3 every time.

Leaf hoppers..??? I’m assuming that’s slang for pests...? Lol

Nutrient burn from a splash is possible.

I hear ya on the issues once I transplant outside. ‍♂ I had 4 last year from clones for my first time and turned pretty decent considering I had no idea what the hell I was doing. But this year I dove in head first and started from seed.

I’ve been doing my homework as best as I can to this point as of August last year. Still have tons to learn and will get easier with more grows under my belt, I’m sure.

Nope, Leaf Hopper.

The center new growth being a different color is normal... this does not worry me.
What does worry me though are the holes that have been eaten in your leaves. This is not a deficiency, this is bugs. Looking carefully at the little white pinprick holes in the leaf that has had the hole eaten in it make me strongly suspect spider mites. If I am right, you need to get on eliminating them immediately.

Thank you for the feedback. I guessed spider mites yesterday. So I googled a DIY pesticide yesterday. ORGANIC.
So I steeped some lemon, cayenne, cinnamon, 2 cloves and 1 scotch bonnet , 1 clove of garlic in boiling water for 30 Mins. Strained it and let it cool. ph’d the spray then I sprayed them last night just as the lighting went to 6 hours off so it wouldn’t burn the leaves. Everything looked good this morning. I will be taking a look At them later when I change to a stronger light for the next 2 weeks.

I will keep you posted

Pay no attention to what you think the soil pH is. In actuality it is usually set to be at the upper end of the soil pH range, typically at 6.7-6.8, and it sounds like yours is right where it needs to be. This allows for an upward drift in pH as your soil dries out.... You water at 6.3 where all elements are the most mobile, and as the water table drops and the soil starts to dry out, that region drifts upwards toward the base pH of the soil. You come in at 6.3 and the soil takes you through the entire usable soil pH range. It is a beautiful system.
Don't second guess your adjustments, thinking that you somehow need to adjust to the soil. Just come in at 6.3 every time, and the soil will take care of the rest, just as it is designed to do. Also, mix up your nutes and test the pH right before you want to apply it to the soil. It will drift over time just sitting in a pitcher as co2 mixes with the water and the minerals and the nutes. You really don't want your nutes to settle out after mixing them either... Just mix it, test it and apply it... 6.3 every time.
Thank you Emilya. I will do that. I tested the soil again just now and some of them in solo cups are between a Ph of 7 and 7.5.... others are sitting just around 6.8 and 7.

I re-read the the portion in the Marijuana Grow Bible 3rd edition about adjusting ph and I got that wrong. ‍♂️ So I will adjust those on my next water using a ph of 6.3 maybe a 5.8 for those that have a soil Ph of 7.5 and bring those ones down a little more

Look under your leaves with a jewelers loupe. Best way to find critters.

I did that yesterday and couldn’t find anything. My educated guess yesterday was spider mites based on what I saw online. So I gave them a DIY organic treatment. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom