I need some help understanding F2 seeds

RipinTubes

420 Member
I don't know... maybe I'm loosing my touch, but why would a breeder sell F2's of a strain they practically built their seed business upon and make all their crosses with? Seems like you're just giving up all your years of hard work right on the spot. Yeah, I get that you don't have their exact parents, but I'm sure it's not hard to find something damn close in a pack of 10. And 100% guaranteed if you go ahead and make some more beans with that pack and go on a popping spree.. So is it for other breeders to breed with it? Doesn't seem like your average joe is gonna choose "Lung Destroyer F2" when hunting down some beans. Help me understand it all.

Thanks!

Who's selling you f2 of their strains they created?

I can only imagine it being something that has been lost and your joining in on the recreation or really when buying seed, hoping to find the lost strain before it's been locked down, allowing for more variation for your own selection..

What you might be seeing are other people selling F-2's of some one else's F-1 strain.

F-2 is a weird generation for a hybrid. You mentioned that even with a F-2 you should be able to find a pheno in a 10 pack. That is not necessarily the case. Normally F-2's become vary random. You may not find that perfect pheno the strain was bred for in a 50 seeds. F-2 is when you find really weird variances of your genetics.

F-2 is pretty much a pheno wonderland. Showing expressions from all the genetics involved in the plants make up. That means for every great one there is one that is total crap. You could literately find the best plant you have ever grown right next to the worse. Both from the same seeds.

I guess I'm not understanding what the appeal is and why one would seek to purchase F2's. Anyone know what the reasoning behind it is?

What you might be seeing are other people selling F-2's of some one else's F-1 strain.

F-2 is a weird generation for a hybrid. You mentioned that even with a F-2 you should be able to find a pheno in a 10 pack. That is not necessarily the case. Normally F-2's become vary random. You may not find that perfect pheno the strain was bred for in a 50 seeds. F-2 is when you find really weird variances of your genetics.

F-2 is pretty much a pheno wonderland. Showing expressions from all the genetics involved in the plants make up. That means for every great one there is one that is total crap. You could literately find the best plant you have ever grown right next to the worse. Both from the same seeds.

Words of wisdom. I've had that experience in the past (although many of the "rejects" were still pretty good).

Consider this: A huge amount of the produce sold in grocery stores are from F₁-generation plants. The fruit is pretty uniform. But nobody is particularly worried that a significant percentage of their customers will save the seeds from that fruit and grow their own instead of purchasing it at the market. Why? Several reasons, obviously - but one of them is that if/when people save those seeds, the produce that they'll eventually harvest won't be exactly like what they're used to purchasing. Often, it's not even greatly similar.

I guess I'm not understanding what the appeal is and why one would seek to purchase F2's. Anyone know what the reasoning behind it is?

I don't know that it's so much people seeking to buy them as the seedbanks selling them. There's a reason that the majority of strains for sale in seed form today typically have multiple phenotypes :rolleyes: . Sometimes it can end up being the plant equivalent to a stray cat's litter (cats can have a litter of kittens from multiple fathers in one birth, lol, so if a cat in heat is running loose, it's a crapshoot as to what her kittens will look/etc. like).

Who sells f2, id like to know... Show me please..

Who sells f2, id like to know... Show me please..

Code:
https://www.kiwiland.com/cannabis-seeds/southseeds/og-kush-f2.html

Lol. Random web-search harvest.

I suspect it's a common thing, whether it's mentioned in the strains' ad-copy or not. There's a high incidence of people taking a strain from breeder A, a strain from breeder B, crossing them, and selling the resulting seeds. (Very) often, those parents aren't IBL, they'll be F₁s (or "higher").

Lot more out there than I knew of.. lol.... Why they selling them? Internet, where photos speak the thousand words, words that when spoken would keep your money in your pocket, not spending dollars on something you could make yourself...

Seeds are seeds are seeds. People buy them so some one will sell them. As with anything. There are impulse buyers and then there are smart buyers.
Whether it is the price or the dream of something big everything is being bought. If people were not buying anything and everything. Maybe they would just concentrate on quality genetics instead of quantity.
Companies are trying to come up with new seeds every year. 100 companies market 2 or 3 new strains a year. Thats 200 to 300 new strains. While a few of these may be great. Most are just the same generic shit over and over again.

Back
Top Bottom