I poisoned my plants with calcium chloride, how to counter?

Weedkeiser

Hello, posted this to my journal but maybe this calls for a new thread.

I think I messed up 4 quite big plants who are 3 weeks from harvest.

I have these moisture eating bags which turn into liquid when in contact with humid air. The liquid drops into a bucket. I poured the liquid, maybe 0.5 liters, to my watering can with 10 liters straight tap water and watered the plants with that. The idea I had in mind was "they do this with their dehumidifiers, no drain here, must be fine".

Well the stuff in the bags is calcium chloride in crystal form. I don't know what the condensed liquid contains exactly and didn't think about it until today. I guess it's still calcium chloride + h2o. They were healthy and almost too dry (starting to droop) the last time I checked them 2 days ago and drinking 1 gal a day happily. I watered them with my poison water 2 days ago and the next day all leaves were wilting and getting yellow/bleaching. Today they looked almost as bad. Not really drinking. All leaves drooping. Gave them straight tap water as to flush them a little.

What to do? Is there anything to do? What counters calcium chloride? Haven't done a proper flush yet but will tomorrow, if they are even alive anymore.

It really depends on the amount/concentration of the liquid. In small amounts Calcium Chloride/magnesium chloride is not too bad for plants (as opposed to sodium chloride). I would just flush the plants (3x the volume of the pot) with water), it's about your only option. This should wash the calcium chloride out of the pots. How much damage has been done? As long as they're still alive tomorrow, you probably won't know for a couple days. In the future silica gel works well and is less toxic.

I’m no chemist but sounds good to me .
I read a article about giving stressed plants aspirin (Martha Stewart swears by it) I forget what it’s called but pest or transplanted stressed plants release it and aspirin has a lot of it. 325mg to 500mgs. of plain un coated in a gallon of water.

Some flushing agents contain citric acid. It just means you can get rid of more crap with less water apparently.
Purchasing it is waste of money IMO but if u can just mix a batch yourself why not.
No clue what the ratios would be though. Too much would probably mess with pH.

It really depends on the amount/concentration of the liquid. In small amounts Calcium Chloride/magnesium chloride is not too bad for plants (as opposed to sodium chloride). I would just flush the plants (3x the volume of the pot) with water), it's about your only option. This should wash the calcium chloride out of the pots. How much damage has been done? As long as they're still alive tomorrow, you probably won't know for a couple days. In the future silica gel works well and is less toxic.
Thanks for the responses guys, 3x volume of the pot so thats about 100 litres of water for me to carry in and out in jugs. I'll do it today. :woohoo:

I'm not a chemist so I don't know, but Citric acid can reduce the effect of chlorides and dissolve Calcium
Any chemists in da house?
I do have some citric acid. I'll mix a little to the water.

Will post pictures later today.

Flushed with +100 liters of fresh water, didn't have the time or energy to do more. Here's how I did it under the circumstances :nerd-with-glasses:

That was also the worst looking plant. The two in smaller containers were better, two in 7 gal pots were worse. Pic right after lights on. That's a 7gal fabric pot in 8gal cement tub, raised a little from bottom. Thought it would be impossible to flush but it wasn't!
DSCF3974.JPG

Back
Top Bottom