I suck at growing

Wow. A lot going on in this thread lol.

I feel ya man. Not getting the best harvests out of this LOS but I knew that would be the case. What I am getting is pretty tasty though.

I am going to try the autopot system with my soil, maybe upgrade my lights, and give that a go. If I am still not satisfied we shall give coco a run.

Just a thought... cannabis, like all other plants have evolved over 400 million years to do quite well with absolutely no human interaction. I am a professional botanist and I can tell you that most grows suffer from one or both of two maladies... overwatering and way to much nutrients.

Running your plants for high yield usually takes a grow too close to the 'Red Line'... backing off the watering and nutes is usually the first bit of advice I give. Also, don't be afraid to give your plants just plain ole water... they like the stuff.

Additionally, until you get a couple of good grows under your belt I suggest growing in soil. My favorite is Fox Farms Ocean Forest. I add dry amendments like perlite and guano while mixing the dirt, once the grow begins I use FoxFarm liquid nutes at about half strength as a supplement while watering.

Studying plant leaves with help you determine when plants need water. I would suggest a few vine (Wandering Jew), succulents (Jade Plant), and maybe a few ferns. Learning to water these low risk (as in not expensive like cannabis) plants correctly will pay huge dividends.

First, all Fox Farms soils suck. Build your own living soil. I have grown in coco for years and soil is more forgiving, produces a better end product with yields almost the same. Even if your a brown thumb. GrassCity organic threads is where you need to be. With your light and tent in a single 20 gallon no till you should be pulling 8-10 oz. easily every cycle. Good luck. Stay AWAY from coco and any form of bottled water/chemical mixes.

First, all Fox Farms soils suck. Build your own living soil. I have grown in coco for years and soil is more forgiving, produces a better end product with yields almost the same. Even if your a brown thumb. GrassCity organic threads is where you need to be. With your light and tent in a single 20 gallon no till you should be pulling 8-10 oz. easily every cycle. Good luck. Stay AWAY from coco and any form of bottled water/chemical mixes.

I disagree. I grow in coco/perlite, and am pulling that amount from a 2' x 4' tent now.

Wow... funny how when I built my organic soil I used as a base a mixture that included Fox Farm Ocean Forest, and it is still going after many years. I would not agree with your opinion that it sucks. Second, recommending another forum while commenting on another is pretty rude, and at that point, you lost all credibility with me, and I hope, with others.

I disagree. I grow in coco/perlite, and am pulling that amount from a 2' x 4' tent now.

I do not doubt it Old Salt. I liked coco as a trial medium. Fun to see plants explode with growth. Way to much work with ppm tracking and phing water.. I do neither with my living soil. All my plants look much healthier and anyone with little to no experience can grow high quality meds with living soil. If he wants to stay with coco. I'd suggest washing the coco and precharging. Then only use a good "coco specific" base nutrient the first round and add zero supplements to the mix. Do NOT use Mills Ultimate coco with cork it is buffered to a ph of 7. Just my opinion.

Wow... funny how when I built my organic soil I used as a base a mixture that included Fox Farm Ocean Forest, and it is still going after many years. I would not agree with your opinion that it sucks. Second, recommending another forum while commenting on another is pretty rude, and at that point, you lost all credibility with me, and I hope, with others.
[/QUO

Emilya, I never meant to discredit this site. I believe we should share knowledge from every source available. I belong to many different sites and all have added to my knowledge. The suggestion I made was based on the best available resource in one place. If you believe your fox farm organic soil is working for you that's great. If your open to trying real organic gardening give my suggestion a try. Then hate me if you think I'm incorrect. By the way, discrediting someone for sharing knowledge is very immature.

I do not doubt it Old Salt. I liked coco as a trial medium. Fun to see plant explode with groth. Way to much work with ppm tracking and phing water.. I do neither with my living soil. All my plant look much healthier and anyone with little to no experience can grow high quality meds with living soil. If he wants to stay with coco. I'd suggest washing the coco and precharging. Then only use a good "coco specific" base nutrient the first round and add zero supplements to the mix. Do NOT use Mills Ultimate coco with cork it is buffered to a ph of 7. Just my opinion.

There's no need for PPM tracking. It will be what it needs to be for the concentration of nutrients used.
I have a TDS pen, but only use it to check my RO membrane once a month.

pH is checked only when I mix a new batch of nutrient solution, once every 4 - 7 days.

I use the original General Hydroponics' Flora Trio and supplements without a problem. I don't mix and match between nutrient manufacturers as GH products are designed to work together.

I can't comment on taste, as I put my meds in capsules so there is none.

There's no need for PPM tracking. It will be what it needs to be for the concentration of nutrients used.
I have a TDS pen, but only use it to check my RO membrane once a month.

pH is checked only when I mix a new batch of nutrient solution, once every 4 - 7 days.

I use the original General Hydroponics' Flora Trio and supplements without a problem. I don't mix and match between nutrient manufacturers as GH products are designed to work together.

I can't comment on taste, as I put my meds in capsules so there is none.

Old Salt. I was also using the Flora Trio until I switched over to CocoTek coco specific nutrients from General Hydroponics. With the cocotek there was no need for a calcium supplement and it had added sulfur. A great product. I was running DTW hand watering, 4-3 gallon fabric pots. Just personal meds. I too only use capsules and don't smoke. Bad back and progressive MS so lifting and watering has become an issue. Organic is just less work for me.

I’m just going to say this.., and not meant as any shade. BUT... sunshine advanced #4, or coco/perlite, House and Garden complete line, and BOOM! Veg 4 weeks/flower 9. Top twice, lst to death, scrog, defoliate 3 times, flush 4 times, and then watch them get big! Heavy, tight buds.

I know nothing about growing weed, NOTHING ! What i do know is with any growth, there are plateau’s. My Hometheater hobby i have been into since 87, that had
plateau’s, dieters, bodybuilding, all plateau, its all a part of growth.

I plan on following one member, he/she seems to have done well. I will try to duplicate as best i can, at least that member can assist with good data on my part, but until i get it close, its too scary to compile advice from 1000 different points of grow, and points of view.

I say regroup, you sound very sincere in your weed venture, dont give up, but find a mentor here in the forum who has been through the paces and always gives sound advice.

Follow their grow......i hope i at least get 1.5oz per plant :0)

Good luck, im waiting for politicians to pass or damn legislation:0/ I still cant grow legally yet :0/

First time that I have heard FFOF sucked LOL. I thought Miracle Grow got all the bad press. Even totally organic isn't quite right yet I guess.

Of course everyone's soil is the best and the others suck. That is the way the world is now. There is a soil out there for everyone. Not all people are going to like what each one does. It is not that the soil is bad. It may just not work for how you are doing things. No grow store in my area and I have had to grow with all kinds of different soils. You use what you can get. You have to learn to work with what you have.

If you can grow you can grow in almost anything. Lots of people keep changing there soils and stuff. Most cases it isn't because it doesn't work. It is because they are not using it right or just can't grow. Just because all you need is light water and soil it doesn't mean everyone can grow. We all have different skills.

It's been a mix of different screw ups. I think one part of the problem is I continually try new things. But I have done 3 gallon pots of FFHF with GH nutrients a handful of times, got pretty use to it, but that's where I am maxing out at 1-1.5 oz.

I tried 4x 5 gallon pots once, but then also tried some LOS I mixed up and for lower yield than usual. But I also tried to scrog for the first time on that run, and the second run in that soil, it was not doing well. Not to mention a different strain.

I once put a single plant on 7 gallons and tried to scrog it. But then I stupidly cut off about all it's bud sites. So even in that huge pot with all that work, I still ended up with MAYBE two ounces.

I did more pots the last run like you suggested, and got a better overall yield, but I have a plant limit so I can't just add more pots to compensate.

Meanwhile 5 gallon pots or larger broke my back. Literally, I have a herniated disc now. So I'm sticking with 3s lately knowing if I went bigger I might get more, but so I take the risk and the extra back pain?

That got me thinking about coco or perlite... Much lighter and the yields are supposed to be higher anyways, but I wonder if switching to something totally new all the time is what's actually holding me back.
plants will grow as wide/bug as the width of their root system, airpots are taller more than wide, im starting to lean towards finishing veg and flowering in smart pots because they seem to be wider and less tall than airpots.
i do start veg in airpots though, i love the entire container being a rootball lol

how do you block this person

Back
Top Bottom