i want my plants to grow up, not out!

Tokist

ok, so when i started growing my plants indoors, i always pictured having the tall stalk that has the buds growing on it from the bottom all the way to the top, as if the stalk were just one huge cola, interspersed with leaves choking on all the fine hairs.

turns out, both times i've grown, the plants just want to bush out. the bottom two leaf formations have a wing span of over a foot.

they're taking up horizontal real estate, and i need them to go up. not sideways.

any suggestions?

20130122_160209.jpg

20130125_210335.jpg

20130125_205753.jpg
20130125_205740.jpg

Your plants look really healthy if your looking to grow single cola plants. Look up a grower on here named Mr krip he is the best at this.
For general advice simply cut off all side branches this will send energy/hormones upward. Timing is critical though to get a solid cola so I say again Mr Krip!

The best way to grow up not out is to start and finish your plants on a 12/12 light schedule. You can put them pretty close to each other as well. This will work for all strains with varied height...

The best way to grow up not out is to start and finish your plants on a 12/12 light schedule. You can put them pretty close to each other as well. This will work for all strains with varied height...

dang... well, it's far too late for that, i reckon.

buckshot is right as 12/12 from start to finish gives one bigass bud per plant and yeild gram per watt is the best way to grow. i am going to do a thred as soon as my abc grow is done[seed and cloneing] and will be doing a 12/12 from dry seed to dry/cured bud grow. once you do a 12/12 you will most likey never do anything else again as the results are unbeatable. thats what i normally do all my grows as. the a.b.c. grow is for instruction for new growers and vetrens to see what and how id do things. the next 2 grows will be one from flowering clones[in progress] and seed to finish 12/12 so please look for it as the abc grow will show how to seed a plant and controll pollen in your garden.

amazingly no one has yet mentioned pheno type.
i suggest exploring grow journals dedicated to lollipops for some strain hints.

side branching characteristics can be modified HUGELY by the strain and phenotype of that strain you choose.

im certain that if you shop around there are seed sellers that offer seeds catering to this need.

these kc45s im growing some of them produce beautifully symetrical side branching, others dont seem to know what they want to do, 1 side branches big and the other doesnt branch and the next node up ill get some barely developed branching...most importantly tho i have 1 or 2 that dont bother side branching at all...these are the ones i would mate for seeds if lollypops was my thing ;)

gigabane is right about phenos and f1 hybreds should also be added to the list as some f1's will grow strait up and some go strait out sideways. in 12/12 not a big issue when growing for seed. and there are strains that do great in 12/12 it is not hard to pick them out any strain that says it does really well in sog is perfect for 12/12 grows as they grow close together and big buds for sure. lolipop lmao 12/12 grows will give ya 2oz to 6 oz buds per plantor more. and in the same area as a scrog plant about 2 times the yeild or more in 1/2 the time with no trimming or training needed. 12/12 for all intensive purposes in hands frre grows. just water and nute and use about 1/2 to 1/4 the nutes if in soil. i recomend 1 , 2 gallon pots[smart pots being the best] what ever the strains flowering time is will be your aproximate total grow time. hybreds of indica/sativa give best results with 12/12 just about anything out there. the best way is to grow your own seed and alot of it your first grow and all consecutive grows will be from seed. clones take alot longer from 7 to 20 days more and grow slower. the reason is seed plants have a main tap root. clones dont. and knock the seed shell off the seedling asap as the hormone in the shell causes the plant to stretch to reach light. that space is all bud if done right. i have alot of info on 12/12 if ya need it.

amazingly no one has yet mentioned pheno type.
i suggest exploring grow journals dedicated to lollipops for some strain hints.

side branching characteristics can be modified HUGELY by the strain and phenotype of that strain you choose.

im certain that if you shop around there are seed sellers that offer seeds catering to this need.

these kc45s im growing some of them produce beautifully symetrical side branching, others dont seem to know what they want to do, 1 side branches big and the other doesnt branch and the next node up ill get some barely developed branching...most importantly tho i have 1 or 2 that dont bother side branching at all...these are the ones i would mate for seeds if lollypops was my thing ;)

yea, as i started to research the topic more, i began to learn that a lot of strains simply just grew that way. so i began to research which strains did that.

i cant believe that someone is telling me that 12/12 from seed is the best way to grow. i'm not saying you're wrong, but i can think of several people that would tell you to put down the blunt ;)

heck, i'm having a difficult enough time with it myself.

gairbud, do you have any grow logs i can see your work at?

yea, as i started to research the topic more, i began to learn that a lot of strains simply just grew that way. so i began to research which strains did that.

i cant believe that someone is telling me that 12/12 from seed is the best way to grow. i'm not saying you're wrong, but i can think of several people that would tell you to put down the blunt ;)

heck, i'm having a difficult enough time with it myself.

gairbud, do you have any grow logs i can see your work at?

It is hard to reply in a nice manner after being told "to put down the blunt ;)" You should not tell folks they are wrong if you have no idea what you are talking about and weilding second hand opinions. I know what I am talking about... I am too pissed to dig up photo's for you but they are in my gallery. I do not claim that it is the best way to grow only that plants grown in this manner will perform like you want them to.

Back
Top Bottom