I want to do my own organic soil but I'm unsure where to start

Bluesunshine

I want to do my own soil for the next adventure but I'm unsure where to start.
I have a rather large bag of lovely Irish peat moss sitting in the garden and I have some lovey organic worm compost.
I want to start some seeds in the next week or so,, so that may have to be a consideration,,I'm not sure.
I don't mind adding some sort of fertilizer at a later date if I really have to as long as it can make a reasonable claim to being chemical free as natural as possible.
So bearing this in mind were do I start,, I would appreciate any advice pointers or cautions that come to mind from those with some experience in such matters.

Thanks, Blue

Hit the search button bud you'll find quite a few different recipes that should give you a good start. Got some ideas for fertilizer though. Worm castings are very good and you could even have a living soil with worms in the pot and you can throw foliage from the plant in there and let em go to town. Chicken poop. You can get boxes of blood, bone and meal (fish bone and blood is very good and a base for a lot of recharged soils out there like Fox Farms ocean forest).

Oh another thing is make sure it's well airated. Some coco and permits mixed in will work a treat. Maybe a liiitle touch of sand aswell.

The only way to truly go organic is to mineralize your soil so that everything the plant will need throughout the grow is in there. What you have now is fine for veg when the plant's needs are easily supplied, but when the bud starts growing the plant is going to need a lot more. You will either have to go with a fertilizer in that lovely peat and EWC compost that you have, or you will have to find what is called a "supersoil" recipe, and then learn about how to supply the microbes that actually end up feeding your organic plants instead of you.
I have a suggestion for you though... check out MegaCrop. It is practically organic... it certainly is not a typical synthetic nutrient like we have all been using all these years. This is something new, using amino acids instead of salts to bind the nutrients into a form that is much more efficiently used by the plants than the old fertilizers.
If you really want to build your own organic soil, check out some of the recipes out there, such as Subcool's or Coots... there are actually several. There is also a good old thread on here about building your own soil. It is quite a learning experience and you can grow some great pot with it... I have been doing organic for years. Only on my current grow have I gone back to a nutrient line... the MegaCrop. I am very intrigued and want to see what I can do with it.
Good luck... I am sure you will get a lot of opinions on this one.

Hit the search button bud you'll find quite a few different recipes that should give you a good start. Got some ideas for fertilizer though. Worm castings are very good and you could even have a living soil with worms in the pot and you can throw foliage from the plant in there and let em go to town. Chicken poop. You can get boxes of blood, bone and meal (fish bone and blood is very good and a base for a lot of recharged soils out there like Fox Farms ocean forest).

Oh another thing is make sure it's well airated. Some coco and permits mixed in will work a treat. Maybe a liiitle touch of sand aswell.
Thanks Bilbo

Thanks Emilya,, that's great info,, just what I needed and nicely laid out.
I did a quick search on the mega crop it sounds good,, but I can only find a 10 KG bag in Europe,, I'm not in USA. I can search harder later there is probably someone selling smaller quantities.
I think I am going to need more time than I have at present to get the whole bio thing going in soil so I am going to have to just do the mega crop thing but I'm still searching.

Blue

I want to do my own soil for the next adventure but I'm unsure where to start.
I have a rather large bag of lovely Irish peat moss sitting in the garden and I have some lovey organic worm compost.
I want to start some seeds in the next week or so,, so that may have to be a consideration,,I'm not sure.
I don't mind adding some sort of fertilizer at a later date if I really have to as long as it can make a reasonable claim to being chemical free as natural as possible.
So bearing this in mind were do I start,, I would appreciate any advice pointers or cautions that come to mind from those with some experience in such matters.

Thanks, Blue

You can do an organic soil - you need a few amendments along with your EWC (worm compost).

Here's what I use - the compost is the most important ingredient. Your peat moss is the best in the world too so you should try growing organically if you can.

Acadian Kelp Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot
Neem Cake and Karanja Cake 50/50 Mix @ 1/2 to 1 cup per cubic foot
Crustacean Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot
Malted Barley @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot (ground fine in a coffee grinder)

Gypsum Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Brix Blend Basalt @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Glacial Rock Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Oyster Flour @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Mix with:

Quart of EWC (can be as much as 25% of the humus portion)
EWC = earth worm casting
1/3 humus = Compost/EWC/Vermicompost
1/3 aeration = Rice hulls or Perl-lite
1/3 CSPM = Canadian Spagnum Peat Moss - in your case use your Irish version

This mix can be used over and over.

You can find local rock dust where you're at. Can sub that in

Most of the ingredients can be found at your local feed store.

No worries. By the way was not meant to say permits was meant to say pearlite my phone is an egg lol
Your probably safer with an egg Bilbo,,,eggs don't shrink you testicles
If you want to do a true Living Organic Soil then follow Bobrown14 recipe.

Then inoculate with Mycorrhazae.

A true LOS will need to be in at least a 15 gallon fabric pot.
Plant a cover crop, add mulch, add a couple hundred worms.
No worries. By the way was not meant to say permits was meant to say pearlite my phone is an egg lol
You can do an organic soil - you need a few amendments along with your EWC (worm compost).

Here's what I use - the compost is the most important ingredient. Your peat moss is the best in the world too so you should try growing organically if you can.

Acadian Kelp Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot
Neem Cake and Karanja Cake 50/50 Mix @ 1/2 to 1 cup per cubic foot
Crustacean Meal @ 1/2 Cup per cubic foot
Malted Barley @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot (ground fine in a coffee grinder)

Gypsum Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Brix Blend Basalt @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Glacial Rock Dust @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot
Oyster Flour @ 1 Cup Per Cubic Foot

Mix with:

Quart of EWC (can be as much as 25% of the humus portion)
EWC = earth worm casting
1/3 humus = Compost/EWC/Vermicompost
1/3 aeration = Rice hulls or Perl-lite
1/3 CSPM = Canadian Spagnum Peat Moss - in your case use your Irish version

This mix can be used over and over.

You can find local rock dust where you're at. Can sub that in

Most of the ingredients can be found at your local feed store.
Bob thanks for that,,, and also taking the bother to explain the abbreviations something overlooked by most!

Blue

If you want to do a true Living Organic Soil then follow Bobrown14 recipe.

Then inoculate with Mycorrhazae.

A true LOS will need to be in at least a 15 gallon fabric pot.
Plant a cover crop, add mulch, add a couple hundred worms.
The true organic way may have to be given a by ball for this grow and I will just use the least toxic additives I can. Time is of the essence from a health perspective.

The true organic way may have to be given a by ball for this grow and I will just use the least toxic additives I can. Time is of the essence from a health perspective.
True, especially since we have not talked about the 2-3 months an amended soil needs to "cook" to get all those raw ingredients ready to play with plants.

OK so I found these Ecoworm Soil Extract - UK's leading Organic Liquid Fertiliser extracted from Vermicompost. Same effect, just concentrated!
They look interesting,,, very interesting but they are sold in the UK and one can hardly call them an ask " so what do you recommend for for vegging more exotic plants,,, and which one should I use for the flowering stage,,, there's one for all plants one for Vegetables and one for Flowers one for tomatoes peppers and fruit bearing vegetables one for trees and bushes.
So now I'm just confused,,, DOSAGE AND APPLICATION - Ecoworm Limited my first thought was well the one for veg and then the one for flowers,, but now I'm not sure.
I sent an email asking if they had any data on contents.
I would appreciate opinions and thoughts!

I did a quick search on the mega crop it sounds good,, but I can only find a 10 KG bag in Europe.
Same here, UK and Eastern Bloc search, doubtless it's up on Amazon but personally I'd rather not bother than have a grow that Amazon contributed to.
Thanks for the Ecoworm info, I'll take a gander at it.

Good thoughts and vibes to yer with your organic grow. Perhaps you'll run a grow journal in here.

If you want to go that route then see if you can find "Ferticell" products in your area I think they are available where you are.
Especially the Universal Algae, I use that one.

Same here, UK and Eastern Bloc search, doubtless it's up on Amazon but personally I'd rather not bother than have a grow that Amazon contributed to.
Thanks for the Ecoworm info, I'll take a gander at it.

Good thoughts and vibes to yer with your organic grow. Perhaps you'll run a grow journal in here.
Mark, see you love Amazon as much as myself!
I'm a nightmare where taking pictures is concerned,, I have a nice SLR but organizing ones ass is always a problem.
There's someone on e-bay selling the 1L bottles of your choice for £5.99 delivered,,,, but what to pick,,,, what to pick!
I think I need to amend that "Organic" ambition to lest toxic I can wangle at present!

If you want to go that route then see if you can find "Ferticell" products in your area I think they are available where you are.
Especially the Universal Algae, I use that one.

Thanks for the heads up,, had a look and don see any around these parts.
It's not that I want to go "that route" it's just a time thing and generaly feeling my prostate being eaten away as I faff around,,it's more important that I get the meds without waiting. I told the Dr's to keep there slash and burn and hormones I will never have that crap, Irrespective of how this goes.

OK so I found these Ecoworm Soil Extract - UK's leading Organic Liquid Fertiliser extracted from Vermicompost. Same effect, just concentrated!
They look interesting,,, very interesting but they are sold in the UK and one can hardly call them an ask " so what do you recommend for for vegging more exotic plants,,, and which one should I use for the flowering stage,,, there's one for all plants one for Vegetables and one for Flowers one for tomatoes peppers and fruit bearing vegetables one for trees and bushes.
So now I'm just confused,,, DOSAGE AND APPLICATION - Ecoworm Limited my first thought was well the one for veg and then the one for flowers,, but now I'm not sure.
I sent an email asking if they had any data on contents.
I would appreciate opinions and thoughts!

You growing a tree, a veggie or a flower??

You will find your answer in the question. lol

You growing a tree, a veggie or a flower??

You will find your answer in the question. lol

Bob,
I don't know,,, they sort of look more like bushes to my eyes,,, which is sort of a mini tree,, perhaps one should just get them all,, mix them in a bucket and give those bushes a good dousing.

This grow I am trying out Agricolas 4-8-4 mineral amendment from soilminerals dot com added to last batch of used Promix Organic, so far so good.
Nirvana OG Kush 2.5 weeks flowering. One of my healthier plants lately.
The plant has that nice shine. Not a bad leaf.

Back
Top Bottom