"I Will Not Be Supporting Your Efforts To Make Marijuana Legal Alternative Medicine"

PFlynn

The San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted on a resolution last week condemning the Drug Enforcement Administration for the threatening letters that were sent to the landlords of medical cannabis dispensaries all across California; personally, I've got to hand it to the DEA, those sneaky rascals finally conjured up an effective inexpensive plan to rid California of many of its "distribution centers", their term for what rational and compassionate people call "medical cannabis dispensaries" but what's in a name, right? The point is that while this tactic has been by far the DEA's most successful strategy, it will have no lasting impact on medical cannabis in California.

Not only does the DEA lack the resources to actually follow upon the potentially illegal threat to relieve landlords of their assets, but the distribution of said letters drew the attention of many members of Congress who are already impatiently awaiting the DEA's response as to why they will not reschedule the herb so that doctors and scientists may research the potential for therapeutic use of cannabis and its compounds.

Alice O'Leary, widow of the first man to receive his cannabis from the federal government, says that if cannabis didn't carry the stigma attached to it today, if it was an unknown plant found in some far away rainforest, it would hailed as a medical miracle. Research shows that cannabis and/or certain compounds in the plant retard tumors, slow the progression of Alzheimer's, protect the brain in the event of a stroke, and even combat cancer despite the DEA's maliciously unfounded stance on the issue. And they have the nerve to call us criminals.

The simple truth of the matter is that the DEA will never shut down medical cannabis in California just as they will never dismantle the black market that supplies truly dangerous hard drugs to millions of miserable American addicts; the difference is that the medical cannabis debate has displaced governmental authority and created a potential crash for the revenue streams of local and national law enforcement, especially in the Midwest.

Drug dealers feed off of the desperation and hopelessness that creates the destructive product niche whereas cannabis patient collectives overgrow the government with truth, radiant beauty, and compassion.

In San Francisco's grossly underprivileged Tenderloin district, few businesses make improving the community a top priority, but in December, when Sanctuary owner, Michael Welch, found that he had a little money left over after paying rent subsidies for many of the dispensary's low-income patients, he spread a little Christmas cheer to the residents who live above the shop and right now, he is busy developing two new programs: one to help homeless families transition to stability and the other to offer treatment that compliments cannabis therapy.

One of the biggest problems for a medical cannabis patient is that proponents often identify the herb as a cure-all while opponents do everything in their power to further stigmatize persons living with disabilities or diseases who choose to empower their lives and their health with the use of this nontoxic plant; these patients, even here in California, become reluctant to discuss this particular treatment with their healthcare providers and families so cannabis never really is fully integrated into the patient's disability/disease maintenance regimen.

This breakdown in transition from theory to practice enables small-minded Republicans such as Missouri House Speaker Rod Jetton to defend his refusal to place Missouri's medical cannabis bill into committee with this statement:

"Unfortunately I will not be supporting your efforts to make cannabis a legal alternative medicine this year. I certainly feel for the pain of the people you mention in your letter, however, I am not convinced that there is no other medicine or treatment available to alleviate their pain other than an illegal drug. We should be doing all we can to eradicate this harmful drug that has done much to poison the youth of our state not trying to make it more easily available."

What Representative Jetton may or may not know is that a man much like himself breathed life into Missouri's medical cannabis movement. A legislator by the name of Ronnie DePasco inspired the first medical cannabis bill in Missouri; he was one of Missouri's most vocal supporters of cannabis prohibition until he had to do his time in the cancer ward.

I doubt, as devoted to the law as he was that he ever used cannabis, but he did see that the herb effectively relieved the suffering of his chemotherapy comrades and a bill was introduced the following year and the year after that and after that.

I lobbied and testified when the bill got into committee and I made every effort to educate my neighbors and local doctors, as have many advocates in Missouri so what we have now is a (mostly) great bill in the hands of a really misinformed man who has demonstrated his desire to remain ignorant on this issue.

I represent a patient who gave birth to her little girl in prison because after trying several dangerous pharmaceuticals to control a nasty case of bipolar, she discovered that cannabis helped her lead a full and happy life. She's ostracized from the mainstream community of her small town and on indefinite parole because cannabis prohibition creates revenue for the state of Missouri. Another would-be patient would love to give her son a sibling but would never survive pregnancy without cannabis and already experienced the fear of losing her first child to the court system; I'm morally obligated to do everything in my power to afford them access to the same freedom and holistic health that I enjoy in California.

The DEA's landlord letters have generated discussion of city and county run collectives, which seems quite unlikely given California's saturated cannabis market but in states, such as Missouri or Michigan, where patients can only pray that compassionate legislation passes into law, such a design would enable the state to not only research the medical application of cannabis using the individual study method recently recommended by the American College of Physicians in their paper supporting therapeutic cannabis, but also to reevaluate current drug education and make the modifications that will truly help end teenage drug abuse.

Source: Costal Post
Copyright: 2008 Costal Post

Re: "I Will Not Be Supporting Your Efforts To Make Marijuana Legal Alternative Medici

Fuck off DEA! Let us medicate! :bong:
:peace:

Re: "I Will Not Be Supporting Your Efforts To Make Marijuana Legal Alternative Medici

yeah, haha they just had too many of the maui wowie brownies they confiscated and ate at the christmas party. some stuff got broke, people got killed, and jimmy hoffa disappeared. haha just kidding just kidding.

This is a little bit over the top.I don't think you fight against the kind of fear and ignorance that espouses the false hoods about pot by claiming it's a cure for everything that ails mankind.Lighten up.You're scaring the straights around the bend.:peace:

Brilliant and a hell of a do-gooder. Not to get religious or anything. You are an inspiring human and thank you doesn't quite say it at all.

at one time cannabis was one of the most prescribed medical options in this country before the food and drug laws of the early 1900's and in the thirties most of the testimony in congressional
hearings about mj were the result of racial profiling against hispanics
i wonder what would happen if NORML got referendum in the states for new congressional hearings based on current objective scientific standards

Seriously??? This is my article yet when I try posting it with updated information (yes, I actually flew back to Missouri) and Jetton's contact info, I'm told that there are stringent guidelines for article submission. What gives?

"This is a little bit over the top.I don't think you fight against the kind of fear and ignorance that espouses the false hoods about pot by claiming it's a cure for everything that ails mankind.Lighten up.You're scaring the straights around the bend."

Dear Sicntired,

As the author of this crap article, I feel that "over the top" is losing everything you have because your government refuses to recognize your medicine as anything but a dangerous delinquent drug. Tell me though, since you have all the answers, how does one overcome all the fear and the ignorance to help create and implement laws that provide protection for patients and send pedophiles and other real criminals to prison?

Compassionatelyyours,
MMJ

That's why it's posted. Just have to look through them and do all the legal stuff.

If you have updates, send em on up to us and we will revise it. It's the news section, so it has to be de-cannabified so to speak :)

If you need anything, PM me.

Thanks!

and.. Welcome to 420 Magazine!

I watched as my mother wasted away on chemo for leukemia in the early days of treatment for that horrible disease.She was unable to eat anything and just got thinner and thinner till she just gave up.I wish I'd had the guts to give her a little pot but that was back in the day when all we got was shake from really bad Mexican castoff.It was tough to smoke and just gave a mild buzz.It still would have helped.The dea is one letter short of the dead.That's no coincidence.

I wish to protest the comparison of the DEA to the crips or the bloods.It takes a degree of strength and character to be a blood or a crip.The DEA are a bunch of cowboys hiding behind their badges and the age old "I'm just following orders".Drug agents are cowards that love to power trip but don't have the guts to back it up.It takes a real low life to do a job that oppresses the majority in spite of insurmountable evidence that what you're doing is evil,racist,biased and destructive.This is a case of the criminals being law enforcement.:thedoubletake::smokin:

DEA: Dark Environment Around: Negative, being of the sinister side of dark, causing negative effects on society, non productive, loss of economic revenue, decline of basic human rights

LEA: Light Environment Around: Positive, being of the warm side of light, increasing positive effects on society, productive, increase of economic revenue, standing proud for human rights

:thedoubletake::clap::partyboy::peace:If only all they took was light.Unfortunately,they take your freedom,your home,your car and all your money.Then you rot for a bunch of wasted years and get out with nothing and are supposed to pick up the pieces.Freedom is just a word until somebody takes it away for something you feel is your right.You know it's a drug war when you get pow status.I don't recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom