Iamtex123's DWC G13 Skunk x Northern Lights 2012 First Grow!

iamtex123

Hey Guys just wanted to share my first grow with you. I've included some pics that show the initial setup of the room. I started the seeds last Tuesday (the 30th of October) and just transplanted to the hydroton today. The roots have just begun to sneak out of the bottom of the riot cubes. They are still being lit by the cheap fluorescent bulb and I'm not sure when to stick them under the metal halide. I've begun giving nutrients based off the feeding schedule pictured so I guess now its just a waiting game. Altogether I have 9 SkunkxNorthern Lights crosses. I also have 1 strain of white widow and another of pineapple express. Oh and one critical jack herer? never heard of that one... I have 2 400w lights with both types of bulbs. (MH HPS) The room has central heat/air and I've been keeping it around 73 degrees. I've been watering whenever I feel the riot cubes have started to dry out. Also I have a fan blowing slightly on them. Let me know what else I need other than to remember to post close-ups of the plants next time :) Thanks so much!

IMAG032712.jpg
IMAG032910.jpg
IMAG03309.jpg
IMAG033112.jpg
IMAG03328.jpg

re: Iamtex123's DWC G13 SkunkxNorthern Lights 2012 First Grow!

I will also be placing a piece of mylar (what you see on the walls now) covered plywood over the window so it completely blocks out all external light sources from my room.

re: Iamtex123's DWC G13 SkunkxNorthern Lights 2012 First Grow!

Wow, this is an impressive first grow. I like your space a lot and I'll be here lurking around :popcorn: The plants can pretty much get as close as possible to those fluorescents without touching them because they don't burn as easily and it looks like 2 or 3 would be ideal for your setup. I usually run 150-250w of blue fluorescents until the first few(2-3) sets of "true" leaves (not cotyledons) and then throw in an led (or HID) a few feet away from the plants, at least 2-2, and start with only one 400w, move it down a few inches everyday, then add the next 400 a few days later at the same, 2-2 foot minimum height and lower it slowly as well.

Info from How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know is highly valuable and relevant.

According to this link from how to grow, What distance should my light be from my plants? You should stop around 1 foot from your plants with the 400w. With two, you might want to go 1.5 ft. The most important thing to do is watch your plants closely during this time and keep them moist under the HID's because the roots can get hot and cook or dry out fast. Any signs of bleaching, burning, or any other negative effects on the UPPER LEAVES while lowering the lights means you should lift them immediately.

Anyway, happy growing, can't wait to see how they turn out. :Namaste:

Re: Iamtex123's DWC G13 SkunkxNorthern Lights 2012 First Grow!

Hey again. Left town for a few days and plants didn't get as much care as needed. I am down to five strong plants and a couple that just might make it. Highed, I am using tap water that comes from a well. I hear its high in iron. I have a ppm on the way but I know the ph to be 6.7.
IMAG035311.jpg

The temp and humidity are shown here.

The five that are healthy have been placed under a metal halide raised about three feet off of them. I also planted three more seeds to compensate for the plants i lost. I am germinating using nutrient enriched water with the paper towel method. I assume I can just keep my current plants in veg for another week? Also, I have plenty of space in my grow room, but only 2 400w MH HPS lights. Will this be enough light for my ten plants?

So put them in a pot with dirt? Can you be a little more specific? I just put them under the mh. Will that help? I'm not sure how to stop the stretching. Any help would be appreciated.

Unless youre growing hyrod cause I seed coco or whatever the hell, but I would suggest putting them in potting soil before the stretch too bad they die. Fall over from being too big, the light is perfect get them in soil or your next step.

I am doing hydro setup. Can I just bury the plant in the hydroton so just the top is poking out?

So here are the plants buried a bit deeper down. Starting to show second set of leaves now. But there is a concerning mold-like growth on the riot cubes. I've included a close up of the mold taking over one of the original seeds. The MH lights dry the plant out rather quickly. The temp is still a solid 80 degrees and the humidity around 50%. Is this ok? Also started three more seeds today.
IMAG036212.jpg
IMAG036113.jpg
IMAG03609.jpg
IMAG03598.jpg
IMAG03588.jpg

take the mold out, before it kills your crop. in my opinion you shouldnt start any more seeds cause LIGHT, you need a little more light. You need a fan to keep temps down and place the light a little further away from plants. hats why they are drying out. READ Beginners Guide to Hydroponics, and maybe these will help Beginner Nutrient Help and Grow Light Options Discussion hope these help dude

Hey guys here with an update. Plants are getting bigger everyday! Nine total plants. Five grown a week ahead of the other four. Planning to keep these in veg for 1 week extra i guess before flowering? Also noticing slight yellow discoloration in leaves. Img shown below. Not sure if nutrients or lighting is to blame. I'll raise the light to be safe. Let me know what you think. Its time to get my bubblers running soon!
IMAG03598.jpg
IMAG03609.jpg
IMAG036113.jpg
IMAG036212.jpg
IMAG03709.jpg
IMAG037110.jpg
IMAG037213.jpg
IMAG037311.jpg
IMAG037412.jpg
IMAG037512.jpg
IMAG03769.jpg
IMAG037710.jpg

Ok so two weeks later the plants are certainly bigger and stronger but maybe not healthier. They are sitting in a bucket now with GH series gro and micro. Have not yet had time to pick up the bloom. Will do so this week. Some of the plants have a yellowing of the bottom leaves. Perhaps a deficiency in one of the nutrients. The roots are certainly exploding from the bottom. I would love to gave input on whether or not i should trim, and what the room humidity should be. Or anything else for that matter. Ph is at 5.7-6.0 and ppm meter is in the mail. Please let me know what you think! Also they are no sitting under 2 400w mh bulbs with hps bulbs ready when I start 12 12 flower cycle.

IMG_20121205_123536.jpg
IMG_20121205_112334.jpg
IMG_20121205_112332.jpg
IMG_20121205_112322.jpg
IMG_20121205_111801.jpg
IMG_20121205_111755.jpg
IMG_20121205_111741.jpg
IMG_20121205_111709.jpg
IMG_20121205_111659.jpg

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

Back
Top Bottom