ICE Strain Grown in FFOF Soil with CFL Lights

Looking very nice sir. :bravo:

Ive always wondered... If you touch the glass is it blazing hot? Like hotter than air would be if it werent there? Excuse my noob-i-ness ;)

No its not blazing hot.... I will have to touch it tomorrow and see how hot it feels. If I remember right it probably feels warm. The only thing I remember that feels hot is if I touch the light bulb itself. The main reason I put it up was that my temps were getting up to 95 degrees in the summer time. After putting it up the temps are a good 5 to 8 degrees lower now.

The room my box is in is next to the attic/roof and it tends to get hot In there :(

i believe it is time to transplant your ICE plants to larger pots, you may be running out of nutrients in the small pots.

No disrespect meant KingJohnC. I actually agree with you.

It is just that this grow is limited to 24 oz. cups. I usually grow in 20 oz. to 24 oz. plastic pop bottles. Then I found these 24 oz. cups at WalMart and have been using them mostly. I agree that "root bound" issues are a risk but I honestly don't see it much. And by "issues" I mean a "sick" plant. Of course the pot size will limit the size of the plant some and then limit even more the bud production. That's why I can't really do multiple topping/FIM'ing and LST'ing.

I veg'd 2 Snow White plants for 4 months and they got up to 41 inches tall in 24 oz. pop bottles. Those 2 plants started showing signs of being root bound.

These current ICE plants I am guessing will be 12" to 18" tall with 4 main branches. So keeping them small... without multiple topping/FIM'ing I should be ok. My goal for these ICE plants are 13 grams dry per plant.

Now with all that said.... I am planning in the future to grow with 1 gallon pots. My goal is to get 28 grams per plant and grow at least 2 plants in this current set up. That Snow White I have now is in a 1 gallon pot and I am "learning" how she grows using multiple FIM'ing/topping/LST and HST

Then the comparison will be to... how many 1 gal potted plants and dry harvest weight can I grow in my current set up...vs... 10 cloned plants grown in 24 oz. cups producing 10 grams each (on avg.).

I honestly hate taking care of 10 plants. If I could produce 90 grams with 3 plants vs 100 grams with 10 plants... I am going to do the 3 plants :)

Hell I kind of been rambling on. Sorry for the long post.

No disrespect meant KingJohnC. I actually agree with you. It is just that this grow is limited to 24 oz. cups.

night all

Looking very nice sir. :bravo:

Ive always wondered... If you touch the glass is it blazing hot? Like hotter than air would be if it werent there? Excuse my noob-i-ness ;)

Nope. It doesn't even feel warm to the touch on the bottom surface of the glass. Today it is 88°F in the room and 81°F in the box.

It feels warm if I put my hand over the glass and between the lights. So I believe it is helping keep the warm air on the top side and away from the plants.

I think one reason it is warm in the box is because it pulls some passive air into the box from the hot room the box sits in. Putting an air condition unit in the room is not an option.

The optimal solution would be to put another 4" hole and increase intake from a cooler room. From what I read I should have twice the intake vs. exhaust. It's just originally I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in my walls and run ducting to it... so I just added a couple 2 inch holes along the bottom of the box for increased air flow.

In hindsight, I should of at lease made the current intake at least a 6" hole. But then the cost of another hole saw, etc etc and it starts to add up. Or drilled another 4" hole to another room.

But hey! If I get the gumption or start having major heat issues I have an idea of what to do :)

Thank you for checking that for me. :thanks: Ive seen them and always wondered. Could you freeze a couple .5 liter bottles and set them in front of the intake? I know it would be a pain to do it everyday, because I do it alost everyday! :rofl: I am digging your grow. Especially the thought procceses behind the grow. I find problem solving fun. Even when I throw out a stupid idea, if it sparks a better one, I consider that a success!

Thank you for checking that for me. :thanks: Ive seen them and always wondered. Could you freeze a couple .5 liter bottles and set them in front of the intake? I know it would be a pain to do it everyday, because I do it alost everyday! :rofl: I am digging your grow. Especially the thought procceses behind the grow. I find problem solving fun. Even when I throw out a stupid idea, if it sparks a better one, I consider that a success!

Thinking about my options....:scratchinghead:

i believe it is time to transplant your ICE plants to larger pots, you may be running out of nutrients in the small pots.

I trimmed up the lower branches so now there are only 4 main branches. I still have some yellowing so I tinkered with them a little bit. I added 1/2 teaspoon of dry all purpose fertilizer (10-10-10) to each plant and 1 tsp. of dry all purpose fertilizer (10-10-10) to the Snow White. Also watered first and then added some 1/2 strength Fox Farm flower nutes. Was adding dry fertilize the right thing to do? ... Hell I don't know, but I just couldn't resist.

I will try just water for the next 4 days and see how they look.

if you used dry crystallized fertilizer it will kill your plants. try to remove as much as you can and flush your plants vigorously with water.

It's not crystallized like miracle grow. It is an all purpose Flower and Vegetable (10-10-10) continuous release plant foot. I have used this before when I grew with soil that I made.

I am pretty sure KingJohnC is referring to a type of fertilizer that needs to be premixed with water before application. What I used is a general purpose fertilizer that is applied to the top soil.

This is my first run with Fox Farms fertilizers and it just seems like these ICE plants needed something a little more. So I went with a product I have used in the past. I am still working the bugs out with my use/knowledge of Fox Farms.

+ Reps to KingJohnC

a 10-10-10 is a general purpose fertilizer, the nitrogen level is too high. for flowering you want a 5-15-15 formula. i would be careful how the time released product and your added fox farm nutrients will react with each other.

a 10-10-10 is a general purpose fertilizer, the nitrogen level is too high. for flowering you want a 5-15-15 formula. i would be careful how the time released product and your added fox farm nutrients will react with each other.

The reason using this was to increase Nitrogen because I have some yellowing that didn't seem normal this early.. so I didn't want to use a flowering fertilizer.

Yellowing on ICE
P1000284.JPG

Yellowing on Snow White
P10002884.JPG

A little update:

Trimmed the lower areas. Removed some branches so I have 4 main branches on the ICE plants.
P10002852.JPG

I also flushed all the plants because of the general yellowing I have had. I flushed 32 oz. of run off through the ICE and one gallon through the Snow White ...and yes KingJohn I know it should be twice the amount of water as the container so 48 oz for the ICE and 2 gallons for the Snow White :peace: :) I joke... but please continue to give me pointers. I really do appreciate it because I know I am note perfect and enjoy the feedback. :thanks:

Maybe the boys and girls will learn from my mistakes :hmmmm: But I know that it will be some good smoke in the end even if I don't do things perfectly.

After the flush I added some 1/2 strength FF flower nutes ( I am still trying to figure these FF nutes out... maybe I just need to give :morenutes: ) Also gave some microbes and blackstrap molasses to feed the microbes and help balance the PH and feed the plants.

ICE bud Shot
P10002911.JPG

Group shot
P1000293.JPG

I am far from an expert but i think not only are you doing a great job growing with what you have you are doing an even better job putting in your journal for people like me to learn from.:goodjob:

I am far from an expert but i think not only are you doing a great job growing with what you have you are doing an even better job putting in your journal for people like me to learn from.:goodjob:

Thank you for the compliment.

I just want to reiterate that I am by no means a self appointed expert. I would consider myself a novice working towards my journeyman by self education and trial and error.
A journeyman is someone who has completed an apprenticeship and is fully educated in a trade or craft, but not yet a master.
If only you could take a class with a MASTER and get some real hands on experience! (I wish!)

This is the next best thing. Sharing experiences and doing the best you can with what you have.

So... I decided to check the runoff PH today. Just used plain water. And wouldn't you know it? All the plants that have the yellowing leaves had a PH in the 5.0 range (orange). The one ICE plant without yellowing had a PH in the 6.0 range.

So I flushed all the plants again until I got a runoff PH in the 6.0+ range and then this time I didn't add any nutes.

One good thing is that the plants seem much greener on the new growth after adding the 10-10-10 ferts. The bad: I feel it had a hand in lowering my PH.

You are a better grower than me, and your plants looks nice sir. Dont take this the wrong way please, just a stoner spewing random thoughts...I am but a link hack learning every day from you guys. ;)
Heres a thought I had regarding the yellowing and leaf removal. More than likely it is a mobile nitrogen issue. Mobile meaning the tops are sucking up all the nitrogen from the older fans. With the removal, Im interested to see if this causes the plant to seek a new source of N. If the yellowing moves up the plants very rapidly, thats no bueno. But Ive also seen that any stressful techniqu seems to shut them down for a few days so maybe its all good. Im interested to see if the fans maybe should have stayed on til the yellowing subsided.
Not a critisim, just my brain spewing out. Plus I smoked some platinum Kush So Im 3 sheets!!
:lot-o-toke:

You are a better grower than me, and your plants looks nice sir. Dont take this the wrong way please, just a stoner spewing random thoughts...I am but a link hack learning every day from you guys. ;)
Heres a thought I had regarding the yellowing and leaf removal. More than likely it is a mobile nitrogen issue. Mobile meaning the tops are sucking up all the nitrogen from the older fans. With the removal, Im interested to see if this causes the plant to seek a new source of N. If the yellowing moves up the plants very rapidly, thats no bueno. But Ive also seen that any stressful techniqu seems to shut them down for a few days so maybe its all good. Im interested to see if the fans maybe should have stayed on til the yellowing subsided.
Not a critisim, just my brain spewing out. Plus I smoked some platinum Kush So Im 3 sheets!!
:lot-o-toke:

I like your thoughts. I try not to remove to many fan leaves because I feel they have a purpose as you suggest. But with that said... there are growers that remove multiple leaves/fan leaves and have great outcomes.

Even though I am concerned, I try not to be overly concerned :) Some of the yellowing is natural and some is caretaker induced. Just trying to keep it in the middle somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom