Icemud Goes LED - Featuring Top LED Grow - Cherry Pie GSC/OGiesel/SFV OG/UVH OG

Re: Icemud Goes LED: Featuring Top LED Grow: Cherry Pie - GSC - OGiesel - SFV OG - UV

fantastic looking frost caked nuggage mr ice damn i cant wait for my next harvest im out of meds just a little hash & shatter left i save the high octane for last so it gets me thru, first time ive been out in 3 yrs so im really drooling over these shots this time!! looks like your stocked till the next harvest!! and another great grow to file in the library :rocker:

Doode!! I was in the exact same boat....I was on the last "table scraps" of my previous grow and had virtually no meds left, I mean I had to resort to buying from a dispensary/delivery and paying there high prices for nugs to get me by for a few weeks. I hate paying dispensary prices and its part of the reason I started growing, because I can grow for about 2-3$ a gram, dispensaries charge 15-20$ gram, huge savings for me. This grow turned out ok for me, but I made a few mistakes which cost me yield, as well as quality. I somehow was overwatering still, even cutting back from last time, and when I pulled the rootballs the other day, there was hardly any roots. So I confirmed that this grow actually would have turned out much better if I would have not overwatered. On my current journal I am switching over to watering more often, but in far less volume. I was feeding each 5 gallon pot about 8-10 cups of water each, maybe even 12 cups per 5 gallon pot, and this was about 1x per week. I think I need to bring it down to about 3-4 cups of water every 4 days, which I think will give the soil more time to stay drier, hosting more oxygen, as well as it will constantly give the girls a fresh drink every few days, without waterlogging the soil.

I also screwed myself by harvesting some of the buds during our dry spell, which dried them way to quickly (about 3 days totally dry) which didn't let the chloraphyl release, and they buds didn't tighten up as much as they should have with a slow burping. So the buds have slightly a more greeny taste to them than they should, but still taste and smell great, they just could have been better. (not all of them but a few of the plants). The GSC turned out amazing in every way and I definitely nailed this one great, but still need to work on a better watering schedule...

Oh well, perfection comes with learning from errors :)

Yeah, should have plenty of meds until my next harvest, which will be in about 2 months :) and then there will be a slight gap in my harvests due to my breeding project going on and juggling strains around in tents :) But... I do have another exciting V-Scrog comming up very shortly here, with a few added surprises.

Re: Icemud Goes LED: Featuring Top LED Grow: Cherry Pie - GSC - OGiesel - SFV OG - UV

Hi there IceMud, 1st of all i would like to say well done nice looking nugs there. I came across your journal last night and subscribed so i could finish reading it this morning. For me it was very informative and helpful, as i am going the led route myself. At the moment im using fluro for veg stage but i also have a LG-G03A100LED running at 18/6. i am still finishing off my room but i am getting rid of the fluro and going to use the LG-G03A100LED in a small cabinet for veg stage. And for flower stage to have in the room itslf i am purchasing a LG-G04B96LED tomorrow (which takes like a day to get here:))

Ok the thing i was wondering was what you thought the coverage was, the place where im purchasing it from states:
Coverage area:4.4'x2.2'
my room is 7' long 2.10' wide 9' high.
Because im only running the 1 light to begin with. Do you think i would get away with running it long ways?
Keeping in mind they state coverage at 2.2' and my room is 2.10' wide.
Any info would be great thanks mate.
Going to sub to your other grow now. Cheers :high-five:

Hey Bonzmoking! Thanks for the compliments on the nugs!!! I definitely am starting to enjoy them right now :) I am happy that I could be informational about my experience with the lights and I am pretty impressed with the results, and very impressed with my much lower power bill :)

Ok, so as far as your questions about light footprint, I have the 144x3w model and I use it in a 2"x4" tent, but previously used it in a 2.5'x5'x7' tent. As far as the width (front to back of your tent) I think the coverage should be fine, It covered the width of my 2.5' tent just fine even though I have the next model up, the diode pattern and width of the unit is the same so I would imagine the width coverage is about the same as well.

As far as the length, I can't really comment since I don't have that model. the 144x3w that I have did a great job at covering the 5' length of my tent, however I only used it for veg and not flowering, so I don't know how the flowering coverage or results would have been, but for what I needed it for, to veg in a 5' long tent, it worked well (mine is the 144x3w, so the length coverage will be larger than the one you are looking at). Mine was rated at a 6'6"x2'2" rating and I would say it may cover that area, but I would say it probably is closer to a 5'x2.5' area. I think the one you are looking at, the 96x3w would probably be good for about a 2.5'x4' foot area. But again, I only used the 144x3w so I am just basing my suggestion off a educated guess.

Doode!! I was in the exact same boat....I was on the last "table scraps" of my previous grow and had virtually no meds left, I mean I had to resort to buying from a dispensary/delivery and paying there high prices for nugs to get me by for a few weeks. I hate paying dispensary prices and its part of the reason I started growing, because I can grow for about 2-3$ a gram, dispensaries charge 15-20$ gram, huge savings for me. This grow turned out ok for me, but I made a few mistakes which cost me yield, as well as quality. I somehow was overwatering still, even cutting back from last time, and when I pulled the rootballs the other day, there was hardly any roots. So I confirmed that this grow actually would have turned out much better if I would have not overwatered. On my current journal I am switching over to watering more often, but in far less volume. I was feeding each 5 gallon pot about 8-10 cups of water each, maybe even 12 cups per 5 gallon pot, and this was about 1x per week. I think I need to bring it down to about 3-4 cups of water every 4 days, which I think will give the soil more time to stay drier, hosting more oxygen, as well as it will constantly give the girls a fresh drink every few days, without waterlogging the soil.

I also screwed myself by harvesting some of the buds during our dry spell, which dried them way to quickly (about 3 days totally dry) which didn't let the chloraphyl release, and they buds didn't tighten up as much as they should have with a slow burping. So the buds have slightly a more greeny taste to them than they should, but still taste and smell great, they just could have been better. (not all of them but a few of the plants). The GSC turned out amazing in every way and I definitely nailed this one great, but still need to work on a better watering schedule...

Oh well, perfection comes with learning from errors :)

Yeah, should have plenty of meds until my next harvest, which will be in about 2 months :) and then there will be a slight gap in my harvests due to my breeding project going on and juggling strains around in tents :) But... I do have another exciting V-Scrog comming up very shortly here, with a few added surprises.
what if you added some extra perlite to lighten the mix, thats what i do if i notice they are not drying out enough ,or you could add coco the chunkier stuff will add air and water holding capacity without any sogginess, i think you would really like the result of adding coco, i think i would never have done any good with soil had i not added coco, it compacts to much and like you have noticed holds to much water, you should try adding some the next time you mix :rocker:

Hey Icemud,
I love your journal and you pics a lot. I need to find time to do more reading and learning from your journals as I am just finishing up on my 2nd grow. I have problems finding the right feeding schedule, too.

I heard you can go away for a week or two without watering if you have a 55 gallon tank. I am a mom of 4 beautiful kids and time is always an issue. So I like to kind of delegate things:))) to the blumats and then spend as much quality time I can with training the girls at home and the girls in the garage:)) But now I am waiting patiently for my small 48x3 Led for my tiny seedlings and clones:))) You got to start somewhere right:)

Have a great weekend.
Take care and have a great weekend

wow ice i been away for a few weeks and im super happy to come back and see those beautiful frosty dense nugs great job much respect bro wonderful harvest

Congratulations on your harvest!

Thanks KingJohnC!! Much appreciate the congrats!

Hey everyone...So I am wayyyy late on giving my final weigh in, smoke report and nugshots so here it is... I've been extremely busy lately with working on things so I had to put it off slightly but didn't want to break promisies :)

So Overall this grow could have turned out much better. Now that statement has nothing to do with the lights. Here is what went wrong... Its quite obvious by my photos in late flowering that something went wrong. I believe a few things went into play with this. When I pulled out the rooballs there was very little roots, and pretty much looks like the soil was way too wet.. For some reason this Pro Mix has been giving me a hard time ever since I started using it because it really seems to hold water for some reason? not sure.. I've really started to just watch my leaves and when they start losing the good upwards posture I know they are starting to get dry and I start preparing my teas. I think I also was giving too much volume of water, and too frequently, so I contribute that to a lot of the leaf and plant health issues.

Another factor that happened was as I was harvesting, we had a week long extremely dry spell here in SoCal, and the humidity went down to around 4% for that week. I was right in the middle of wanting to pull the girls, so I waited and watched the weather, well the weather was slightly wrong, I harvested and we had another 2 days of semi dry weather 15-20% RH so the buds dried out really fast, and I wasn't able to even jar them in time, so I think I actually started curing them only 3 days after drying because I couldn't let them lose any more moisture that fast.

With all that said, the buds still turned out great.

The GSC by far is the best, stinks like crazy (like a skunk family was in the room) and is a good strong, but productive high. Very tasty smoke, has a sweet, kushy lemon hashy taste to the smoke, and extrememly smooth for how caked in tricomes it is.
Total Weight dry 110g between the 2 plants.. Not bad but could have been better :)
DSC096031.JPG
DSC09602.JPG
DSC096011.JPG

Next was the Cherry Pie... I'm not a big fan of this cut of cherry pie, the buds look unbelievely dank while they are growing, but just don't hardly have a fragerence at all, just hardly any aroma, and the high is just mellow, good for daytime getting things done but definintely not a one hit wonder by any means. This one was surprisingly light for how many large buds it had and I think that may have had to do with the way it dried as well as other issues above.
Total dry weight: 49g (pretty poor for all those large nugs)
DSC09589.JPG
DSC09590.JPG

Next up the Ogiesel.. OGiesel is also one of my favorites, despite the fact that she didn't like being scrogged at all. So I wasn't expecting much of a yield, but wow, is she ever potent. A very kushy, skunky fuel smell to her, very trichome covered buds, but also very airy and the yield like expected wasn't much at all. This was due to the plant not liking the scrog one bit.. note taken :)
Total Dry weight: a wopping 30g! LOL
DSC095951.JPG
DSC095971.JPG

University Hills OG is next. This one is also one of my favorite ogs and because of whatever the strains crossed into it, is much more indica heavy than most other OG kushes I have, which slightly air toward the sativaish sided of the hybrid spectrum :) UVH og also because of one of the crosses has a tropical pineapple type taste to it, as well as a light but deep og funk to it. Very good smoke, smooth inhale and pleasent to smoke. Also very pungent when broken open or grinded. This one dried out way to fast for my liking with the dry spell of RH, but still turned out pretty decent. The yield was much much lower than in the past that I have gotten from this one, but I also contribte that to the wet soil, hardly any root issue.
Total Dry weight: 56g
DSC095911.JPG
DSC095921.JPG
DSC095931.JPG
DSC095941.JPG

Last up is the SFV OG... another one of my favorites. This one packs a definit OG kush smell, funk.. a mix of lemon, skunk, and fuel but with the natural minerlized soil and budwashing, upon inhale this one is very very smooth. The taste is incredible and just like the smell, but with a faint sweet aftertone. this one definitely is a 1 hit wonder out of the bong... 1 hit will send you high instantly and is fairly heavy as well. Overall if the above mentioned issues wouldn't have happened, then I would have yieded way more and she would have even been better...But still turned out fire!
Total Dry Weight: 65g
DSC09598.JPG
DSC09599.JPG
DSC096002.JPG

Total harvest Dry:
310g or a little over 11oz.. definitely not as good as I had hoped for, but like I mentioned, my soil messed up my roots by being too soggy... so definitely not the lights at all. Overall the Mars II did an impressive job and I look forward to future grows with them.

Total Draw Watts:

Gram/watt:
.59g/w.... I'm kind of embarrassed at that, I can do way better, and have before!

So here is the energy use breakdown...

Veg with 144x3w, running GLR at VEG setting 1. 182W draw. for 67 days at $0.25/KWH
Cost to run: $39.62 to run this light for veg for 67days.

Veg with 3x Mars II 80x5w using GLR, 525w Draw, for 30days at $0.25/KWH
Cost to run: $51.18 to run these lights for 30 days.

Flowering with Mars II 80x5w on 12/12, 525W draw, for 75 days at $0.25/KWH
Cost to run: $118.13 to run these lights for flowering.

Total Grow Electricity Cost (est.) $208.93....
Cost of Electric per gram. $0.67/Gram in electricity cost. (not including fan usage, or nutrients and supplies)

Overall I consider this grow a success. I have some great meds to last me until my next harvest, and overall I saved a ton of money not having to pay for HID lighting. Well I thank everyone so much for following this journal, helping along the way and just for participating and enjoying this grow with me! Thank you all, and also thank you 420 Magazine for being the best online forum for 420 ever!!

I invite all of you to tune into my current journal which is on day 32 of flowering. :)

Ice.

very nice journal and review. I hope you enjoy all those tasty looking nugs. wish I could burn a few with you.

Icemud, congratulations! :)
How much more yield total would you consider a huge success?
What is considered a good dry:wet ratio?

Well with the V-scrog I've pulled around 1 1/2 lbs on past grows to that is my goal.

I never weigh wet weight because it doesn't really serve a purpose, but it seems that typcially a wet weight will loxe 70-80% of the weight for the most part.

Ice.

very nice journal and review. I hope you enjoy all those tasty looking nugs. wish I could burn a few with you.

Hey Hash Hound!!! Thank you so much for the compliments!!! Maybe someday we can blaze one :)

Gratz Ice looks like you got a lot of great smoke :bravo:

Hi Icemud that's a very nice grow even if you've not quite gotten the yield you would have liked. :thumb:

Your Journal bought me out of the woodwork and I started a grow with these MarsII lights instead of trying
for a lower electricity bill I've gone for watt for watt that I would have used with HPS, so I've got 2 x 700 and 2 x 400 wish I could have ordered 6 x 400 but they ran out here in Oz.

This gives me actual draw of about 1.1kwh so comparable with 2 x 600 HPS and I'm really impressed with not only the growth but the ease of controlling grow room temperatures.

My grow area is 10' x 5' with a ceiling height of 9' so I've got plenty of room for a good grow.

It's winter starting tomorrow so my humidity levels have been ranging from 47% - 70% which is a bit of a worry but I'll sort it out.

The growth under these MarsII lights is nothing short of amazing I'm looking forward to seeing my outcome over the next 6 weeks or so.

I've been watching your intelligent-gro one as well and I'm so impressed with those lights as well I'm going to order a full set of those.

So thank you Icemud for sharing your grows and information, you have given me something to look forward to with looking at your wonderful pictures that come out regularly they improve my mood no end.

I may get around to doing a journal of my next grow.

:thanks:

Amazing job buddie. Your v scrog worked out nicely!

Back
Top Bottom