Icemud Goes LED - Featuring Top LED Grow - Cherry Pie GSC/OGiesel/SFV OG/UVH OG

Re: Icemud Goes LED: Featuring Top LED Grow: Cherry Pie - GSC - OGiesel - SFV OG - UV

I'm on my phone so it's a little hard to reply. Most go with full spectrum mars lights as did I. I recommend drawing your room out to scale on paper first to figure out what will work best before buying your gear. Also look for a high CBD strain like harliquen for epilepsy. What SIM are u using, iracing?

Re: Icemud Goes LED: Featuring Top LED Grow: Cherry Pie - GSC - OGiesel - SFV OG - UV

yes Iracing.. I suck, but currently running GT3 and Formula Mazda "Star Mazda" series, as I don't have any money to spend on it so I earn the credits to buy more cars tracks, my GF bought me the 2 year membership a while back. and Fack Cancer works well for me, and out of all the other strains, only GSC, and SFV seem to relax me enough to keep me from cramming so many meds in my mouth. Epilepsy sucks, so many things trigger mine, sound, movement, stress, light's.. Iracing is the only sim I can use, I have tried other things, and other games but they make me seize up instantly, Iracing and only day races lol, night races are really tough for Epilepsy, but I did manage to complete one dead last I might add lol.

Ok for the room setup, I wanted everything on the back wall, its almost 10ft across and I can safely come out 4ft w/o hitting the ceiling fan, I wanted the Veg tent next to the Flower tent to make everything easier for me as doing anything physical is tough as well, so I have been thinking ahead as to how to make this as easy as possible and keep me from getting confused, as my brain has trouble from time to time.. So I figured if I had Mother/Clone setup next to one another would make watering, and moving working with both flowers and clones / mothers would be easier as well as I have access on that wall to cut more vents if needed for intake and exhaust...

Overall focus, grow top quality meds like Ice, keep the power bill as cheap as possible is my goal, I simply cant afford to keep purchasing from the collectives anymore, all my money is running out so I need to make the investment as I would be stupid not too, I cant work, and I have nothing but free time during my waking hours between seizures and sleeping. So I feel growing would also be therapeutic for me as well as I really used to enjoy gardening..

Man you guys rock and are seriously some of the best people on the planet period!!! any advice given I will take :) and all I have gotten so far has been golden.. Thanks again so much..

Also what tent would you guys recommend for flowering? and Veg? I know no light can leak into the flower tent, and even tho it will be indoors, allot of light leaks into this room in daylight hours. Sorry for all the questions, but they pop into my brain as I go.

There's another koncept.... My mind is blown

ok my space is in a 10ft x 12ft building, well insulated and climate controlled, it is equipped with a top exit 230cfm exhaust fan I have running to a spin type vent on the roof.. My entire budget for everything will be around 1500 or so, and here is sort of my list as to date.

Good 4x4 tent for flowering
Good light or lights to cover 4x4 tent for flowering. My question here, is 2 lights better than one for coverage and which ones should I use?
soil pots and nunt's
Then plumbing intake and exhaust with filtration as I live in a densely populated area of LA County here in CA, and don't trust anyone or anything...
all while keeping electrical bill in check.

For the Veg Tent, probably going to be a 2x4 for mother / clones, my question here is, is it better for me to go with an LED as well, or go the T5 route? I am not sure what would work better as a result, My thinking is the LED would probably be better here as well as far as electrical cost and results.. I was looking at that mother keeper kit listed on Fleabay that uses the T5's.

I just don't want to half ass it, I want to do it correct the first time and have watched all your videos, that helped me a TON! I also don't like weak ass soft flowers, I love my rock solid nugs, and am seriously interested in trying to find a strain that can better control my epilepsy.. 6000mg of keppera a day is facking killing me, and medical cannabis is REALLY the only thing that really helps me.

So im ready to place an order, but am so scared to pull the trigger on the wrong product. Thank You again for all you Videos and help!!!! and any advice you could throw my way is seriously appreciated. Again Love your results and vids they helped me a ton so far!

SmokeyMcfly did an excellent job responding and I would agree with what he said...

I might even recommend for your grow area to do 3 tents... a 5x5 for flowering, and 2x 2x4 tents (one for veg, the other for mothers/clones) This way you will be able to cut your cycle down in 1/2 by always having plants in flowering, and in veg at the same time and will give you a little more flexibility for your plants/strains and grows.

I found 2 tents work great, but 3 is even better,, the third being a sort of "reservoir" for your plants when you get too many strains (it happens :) )

I started with 2 tents and it worked great, cut my cycle down in half. I would always clone my plants right before flipping them over to the flowering tent, and by the time the clones were ready to flower, the flowering tent would be finishing.

As far as your lighting for your 5x5 tent, I would definitely Overdo the LED than undercut it and I agree with smokey mcfly on how more smaller lights is better than 1 larger light. At this point for your budget, you should be able to get a good light setup for both tents going. I've never used CFL or Florecents so I can't really comment on them but LED work very good for veg too.

As far as brands its really hard to say, but I am really having great results with my Intelligent Gro panels. They are brighter than the mars II, (confirmed with my PAR Meter tests) and have a better spectrum, plus the ability to dim the panels...however they are pricier than the mars II, so you could probably get 2 mars II for the price of 1 Intelligent Gro...what is better though? 2 sub par lights or 1 better liight...I guess that would be really a growers decision.

If you went with the Mars II, I probably would put 2x 700w and 2x 400w in your flowering tent for optimal lighting, and use their 144x3w reflector series for veg in the 2x4 tent, and if you get a 3rd tent, another 2x4 tent.... this would run you about 1450$ which is under your budget.

If you went intelligent Gro I would go with 1x 810w for your 4x4 tent (it probably would fall short in a 5x5 thought)(Check out Graytail's journal, he is running the same setup, a 810w in a 4x4 and having pretty good results so far). And for your 2x4 veg tent you could run the 405w...This would run you around $2080, but if you use my discount code it will bring it down to around $1760 but it is only good until tomorrow and then the discount goes down to 5%. Right now its 15%. (this figure would not include a light for a 3rd tent)

As far as what setup is better, I am really liking the intelligent Gro panels, and the dimming controller function is nice for dimming the panels when full intensity isn't needed. The intelligent gro's also have a much better spectrum in my opinion with a fuller blue end and more bands.

There are other brands out there too, so I don't want to just say look at these only, because there are lots of growers here on 420 having good results with other brands...but for the 2 that I have used..that is my recommendations.

I think with the state of the LED industry, as long as you do your due diligence, whatever you choose should be good as the LED industry has come a long way over the past 4 years. My thoughts are just go with what your gut tells you, evidence from other growers confirms. With LED lighting, its more like an investment seeking ROI where the upfront cost is big, but the payoff over HID is in electrical usage, for some reduction of heat, and better quality buds.

I am sorry to hear about your ailment and It is great that cannabis give you the relief that you need and can replace the pills. I love hearing stories about how cannabis helps all kinds of people and rids their lives of the poison pharma pills! :)

Definitely get a grow journal started and let me know when you do, I would love to try to help where I can :)

man I just realized the ceiling fan would come into contact with a 5x5 tent, I wonder if I went with a 3x5 and did it more of a rectangle if that would work well too, I could fit the 4x4, but a 3x5 or a 3x6 would fit much better, but then I get concerned about them hitting the walls, but I can come out 3-4ft without worrying about the ceiling fan coming into contact with any of the tents lol. Man some things you just don't think of sometimes.. Also my ceiling is 8ft on the walls and its vaulted so it goes up too 10ft in the middle.

Also ICE I was looking to grow that very same strain the SFV works really well on my epilepsy, but I cant seem to find just the SFV in clones, just the SFV OG.. I will be ordering some of those as it works really well on my epilepsy.

Hey, the tents I use are really nice...there slightly bigger than a standard 2x4...they are the hydrohut 2x4 silver edition which actually measure closer to 28"x55"x78" which is more of a 2.5'x5'x7' area. They might work for you well. I would highly recommend them, I bought one and its been going strong for 4 years, and I liked it so much I bought a 2nd one.. the only issue I had was a little threading came loose on the zipper which i had to just sew in some new thread...

I'm not aware of a strain just called SFV, but I love SFV OG. SFV OG stands for San Fernando Valley and from what I read, SFV OG is one of the cuts from the original OG...as well as others like Larry OG, Tahoe OG, Raskal's cut and others.... not sure how true it all is but seems to be the common ground.

I believe CBD is really good for Epilepsy, so you may want to seek a high CBD strain. Most of the medical benefits are associted with CBD and not THC, so you may want to do a little research to see what others with Epilepsy choose to work. I'm growing Harlequin right now which is a 1:1 THC/CBD ratio...I had severe back pain to the point I was about to take some pills, but decided to try the Harlequin instead, and within 15 minutes, the pain was completely gone.. I am one that doesn't like to take pills unless absolutely necessary, and I was very happy to know Harlequin worked better. :)

I'm on my phone so it's a little hard to reply. Most go with full spectrum mars lights as did I. I recommend drawing your room out to scale on paper first to figure out what will work best before buying your gear. Also look for a high CBD strain like harliquen for epilepsy. What SIM are u using, iracing?

I swear, me and you think alike...lol... I wrote responsess too his questions, then read your responses and we are saying virtually the same thing! HIGH five with a big HIGH! haha

Overall focus, grow top quality meds like Ice, keep the power bill as cheap as possible is my goal, I simply cant afford to keep purchasing from the collectives anymore, all my money is running out so I need to make the investment as I would be stupid not too, I cant work, and I have nothing but free time during my waking hours between seizures and sleeping. So I feel growing would also be therapeutic for me as well as I really used to enjoy gardening..

For growing the best quality meds...LED will definitely do this over traditional lighting types. Another recommendation is to get into High Brix growing.... DocBud is another member here at 420 and is the Godfather of high brix growing. He has come up with a kit that pretty much all you have to do is buy his kit, and a bale of Promix HP, and he has formulated it to grow the best cannabis possible. High brix in general is the amount of sugar a plant is producing. The more sugar its producing and storing, the healthier the plant is and the closer to its genetic potential it has become. By far High Brix herb is the best I have ever had, and will be the only focus from here on out. I approach High Brix with a more trial and error method where Docbud uses scientists and labs to get their much more precisely, which is why I recommend his kit. Also there is probably a few handfuls of growers here who also use it, so plenty of support if you have questions.

The reason I mention this is High Brix weed will give you what you aare looking for, the best possible quality available.

yes Iracing.. I suck, but currently running GT3 and Formula Mazda "Star Mazda" series, as I don't have any money to spend on it so I earn the credits to buy more cars tracks, my GF bought me the 2 year membership a while back. and Fack Cancer works well for me, and out of all the other strains, only GSC, and SFV seem to relax me enough to keep me from cramming so many meds in my mouth. Epilepsy sucks, so many things trigger mine, sound, movement, stress, light's.. Iracing is the only sim I can use, I have tried other things, and other games but they make me seize up instantly, Iracing and only day races lol, night races are really tough for Epilepsy, but I did manage to complete one dead last I might add lol.

Ok for the room setup, I wanted everything on the back wall, its almost 10ft across and I can safely come out 4ft w/o hitting the ceiling fan, I wanted the Veg tent next to the Flower tent to make everything easier for me as doing anything physical is tough as well, so I have been thinking ahead as to how to make this as easy as possible and keep me from getting confused, as my brain has trouble from time to time.. So I figured if I had Mother/Clone setup next to one another would make watering, and moving working with both flowers and clones / mothers would be easier as well as I have access on that wall to cut more vents if needed for intake and exhaust...

Man you guys rock and are seriously some of the best people on the planet period!!! any advice given I will take :) and all I have gotten so far has been golden.. Thanks again so much..

Also what tent would you guys recommend for flowering? and Veg? I know no light can leak into the flower tent, and even tho it will be indoors, allot of light leaks into this room in daylight hours. Sorry for all the questions, but they pop into my brain as I go.

I completely feel your pain. I stopped playing IRacing after my surgery because it would make my neck flip out every time I played. It sucks because it was one of my most favorite things to do. If you are up in the star mazda and GT3s you got further then I did. I drove the little nightmare wedge shapped thing for a while, it was a nightmare to learn that car but such a blast to drive once you did.

My room is exactly 10' and I have the 5x5 sitting right beside the 2x4 and it takes up almost the entire wall with just enough room between them to fit my intake filters. Dont underestimate how important it is to have space to move around and do what you need to do inside the tent and outside of it as well. A lot of tents have back doors to help with this but in my room I cant get to the back or sides of the tent to access it. I leave one side of the flower tent completly empty except the fan in the back so I can get in there and do what I need to do to take care of them. Since the veg tent is only 2' deep its not an issue in that one. My first setup I couldn't move in the grow area and it was very difficult to do anything to the plants once they went in so this time I made sure to have lots of room to work.

Really sorry to hear about your med problems. I hope you can get some strains going that help you out and you can stay off the meds :thumb:

I agree with Ice. Look into Docs Highbrix growing. It is so much easier then messing with ph and its cheaper then buying all the different grow shop bottles of junk. I have done everything you could think of to mess this batch up and they are the healthiest looking plants I have ever grown :D Cant wait to see what happens when I actually do it correctly lol.

I swear, me and you think alike...lol... I wrote responsess too his questions, then read your responses and we are saying virtually the same thing! HIGH five with a big HIGH! haha

Sorry to hijack your thread brotha :p

Again Ice Thank you so much, you are correct on the SFV, it is San Fernando Valley, the stuff I was getting was called SFV private reserve, and could never get a clone off that plant, only the SFV OG.. When they tested the SFV PR it came in at like 26% thc with a high CBD, its just hard to get ahold of.. Even the collective that supplies me with it is currently out and charge you your first born for a nub of it... The SFV OG is close tho, and always in stock im sure what you cranked out would match anything I purchased.. That's why im so excited to get going...

That Lighting setup you have is just sick!!! My gut is telling me it would pay me back 3 fold down the road! and like you said it would indeed cover a 4x4 but one light? scares me.. But makes sense at the same time. One Fixture, less hassle, controllable dimmable.. Do I need to order the controller as well? I know im a pain in the ass! But my Gut says go with that, and supplement if needed. Give me the link and that code fack it, that light seems to kick some serious ass!

oh man TY so much good info and I will look into that right now! man I wish you were in Iracing still, I used to race motorcycles since I was six years old, I also raced cars till it bankrupted me hehe, Motocross when young and then Superbikes when I got older, and cars when I could... Funny the thing I loved racing the most was superbikes, after all those years racing motocross I found road racing superbikes was easy as eating pie... I so miss that rush when rolling off pit road and wacking that throttle with a fresh set of slicks all warmed up from the garage... and the smell of race fuel and burning slipper clutches and sliding that thing all over the track and flinging rubber everywhere... Its just the crashes that sucked hehehe.. Those sudden stops hurt like hell if your awake to feel it.. I think that's why I love Iracing, Its funny im always calm in races an find racing very fun where other people get their hearts racing it seems to calm me lol..

Ok time to order a light! and some tents! You guys seriously kick ASS!

and ICE your nubs are AMAZING! your an Inspiration!!

I might get it set back up again if my new buds fix my neck up enough to get me through it. I have been wanting to a lot the last couple months I really miss it. Check your pms!

I was never aloud to have dirt bikes when I was young so the first thing I did when I got old enough was got sport bikes. I used to ride a duc996 for a couple years and just sold my monster a year ago, my neck just cant take riding anymore :(

Ice, What size marsII do you have and what height would it give optimal PAR strength? I should really get around to getting a meter one of these days. I have them at ~15" atm and the plants are still reaching up for the light so I assume the lights arn't to close yet. The first grow I ever did I had tops basically touching a 1k hps in a cool tube at the end and it didn't seem to bother them. Just wondering how low it makes sense to go with the MarsII.
Thanks!

Sorry to hijack your thread brotha :p

Don't be sorry my friend... I appreciate you helping...its what I love about 420 magazine... :) Its nice that people can get questions answered right away... and you give great advice :)

Again Ice Thank you so much, you are correct on the SFV, it is San Fernando Valley, the stuff I was getting was called SFV private reserve, and could never get a clone off that plant, only the SFV OG.. When they tested the SFV PR it came in at like 26% thc with a high CBD, its just hard to get ahold of.. Even the collective that supplies me with it is currently out and charge you your first born for a nub of it... The SFV OG is close tho, and always in stock im sure what you cranked out would match anything I purchased.. That's why im so excited to get going...

That Lighting setup you have is just sick!!! My gut is telling me it would pay me back 3 fold down the road! and like you said it would indeed cover a 4x4 but one light? scares me.. But makes sense at the same time. One Fixture, less hassle, controllable dimmable.. Do I need to order the controller as well? I know im a pain in the ass! But my Gut says go with that, and supplement if needed. Give me the link and that code fack it, that light seems to kick some serious ass!

I see you are in southern california. I can PM you a name of a very good clone supplier here in OC, I am not sure how far they drive or where exactly you are located, but I have used them numerous times and they have very good genetics.. (not like the last place I used where everything was mislabled and wrong) this place is very good. Its where I got my SFV OG from and my GSC, which both are some of my favorites, and they tested them at a familiar testing site and the SFV OG hit 23%, Id have to check again to see the cbd counts.

Another very good OG I ran was holy grail og and i think you can order seeds online...very very strong, very high yielding, pretty much a dream, except for trimming because it was really leafy..lol

Yeah I mean for your budget you mentioned I would go with just the 1 light. If it were me, and money was not an option at all, I probably would go with 4 of the 540W panels, I for each corner... I think that would really give the best bang for your tent...but like I said, Graytail is using a 810W in his 4x4 and having really good feedback...so I think that decision would be good too.

Ice, What size marsII do you have and what height would it give optimal PAR strength? I should really get around to getting a meter one of these days. I have them at ~15" atm and the plants are still reaching up for the light so I assume the lights arn't to close yet. The first grow I ever did I had tops basically touching a 1k hps in a cool tube at the end and it didn't seem to bother them. Just wondering how low it makes sense to go with the MarsII.
Thanks!

I have the Mars II 400w version....

Optimal par is based on time of day or DLI daylight integral... basically depending on the length of daylight (plant cycle) the requirement changes. I read somewhere, actually a few places that cannabis should be recieving between 500-800umol (PAR) to have optimal lighting..but this is only with 12 hours of light... with 18 hours of light, the requirement drops to around 350-520umol...

Here is my video that shows the readings I got... also advanced LED actually did a comparison using the Mars II 400w with all the details...

Thanks Ice that video was perfect! Sounds like 12 - 15" is about the sweet spot for flowering depending on the model you have. No wonder my last buds were so fluffy I never put the light closer than 24"...

Have you noticed that every other marsII model as you go up the line has a higher density per claimed area covered. Example of what I am trying to explain but failing at. The 80x5 is 3x3 then it almost doubles the chips to get another half foot of coverage on the 140x5 @ 3.5x3.5 then the next one is only 40 more at 180x5 for the same increase in coverage to 4x4 then the next one jumps to 240x5 for 4.6x4.6. This leads me to believe that the higher density ones are more intense but there could be other things going on I don't understand or know about.

Anyway the point of my stoned rambling is that the 80x5 and 180x5 might need to be a little closer then the 140x5 and 240x5 but I have no proof of this its just what makes sense in my brain by looking at the chip count per square foot of claimed coverage.

I too am an engineer and tend to overthink EVERYTHING so its very possible I am doing that here... Thank god for bud its the only thing that has ever calmed me down and let my mind run at a reasonable pace. As you can see even with bud I get wrapped up in silly little details like this that probably don't even mater much, before bud it was really really bad lol.

Thanks Ice that video was perfect! Sounds like 12 - 15" is about the sweet spot for flowering depending on the model you have. No wonder my last buds were so fluffy I never put the light closer than 24"...

Have you noticed that every other marsII model as you go up the line has a higher density per claimed area covered. Example of what I am trying to explain but failing at. The 80x5 is 3x3 then it almost doubles the chips to get another half foot of coverage on the 140x5 @ 3.5x3.5 then the next one is only 40 more at 180x5 for the same increase in coverage to 4x4 then the next one jumps to 240x5 for 4.6x4.6. This leads me to believe that the higher density ones are more intense but there could be other things going on I don't understand or know about.

Anyway the point of my stoned rambling is that the 80x5 and 180x5 might need to be a little closer then the 140x5 and 240x5 but I have no proof of this its just what makes sense in my brain by looking at the chip count per square foot of claimed coverage.

I too am an engineer and tend to overthink EVERYTHING so its very possible I am doing that here... Thank god for bud its the only thing that has ever calmed me down and let my mind run at a reasonable pace. As you can see even with bud I get wrapped up in silly little details like this that probably don't even mater much, before bud it was really really bad lol.

I feel you on bud relaxing the mind.. I too am a intellectual thinker, and my mind is always on overdrive. Its funny how I watch documentaries of the greats like Steven Hawking, Albert Einstein, Tesla, and many of the other great minds and their stories are very similar to my perspective on the world...always questioning things...the almost need to be right, the want to explain the unexplained, the ability to visualize things beyond the norm, almost getting future ideas from nowhere/predictions... I just wish I would have followed through with my engineering degree... but unfortunately marijuana prohibition got me kicked out of the university...I can tell we probably think very much alike and that too is why I enjoy cannabis, as it allows me wind down and be more relaxed in thought instead of going into my usual analytical mode..LOL. Cannabis helps me focus more on one or 2 things than 15 different things at a time.

As far as the coverages, its kind of hard to explain, but it has to do a lot with the way LED's emit light. They are more similar to a laser beam than a regular omnidirectional light source so the beam is very focused and doesn't spread much... A lot of the way the LED companies design their panels has to do with the spread... its like if you compared the Top LED reflector to the Mars II, basically pretty much same diodes I am assuming but the way the reflector is layed out provides a much more even and wide coverage with less drop off vs the mars II which is much more intense in a focused area but with less coverage... I believe this is due to the actual space given between the chips which allows for the beam angle to be used more spread out...

I guess what I am trying to explain is lets say you have 10 flashlights all the same kind.. If you rubberband or tie them together in a group and turn them on, you will have a very intense spot, but not with very wide coverage, where as if you were to take the same 5 flashlights and turn them on, but arrange them in a grid, with 1' of space between them... The beam would still be intense in the middle, but would give less density but cover a more widespread area. Now if you were to take both examples and add 10 more flashlights to the mix...in the first example adding 10 more flashlights to the bundle would increase the photon density in the beam, but hardly would increase the coverage, vs if you took the 10 flashlights and added them to the grid, but again spaced them out 1' apart... the density wouldn't change as drastically in the middle but the footprint would be much greater with less of a drop off ratio from middle to edge of footprint.

I guess this is the best way I can explain it, that when the LED companies add more chips and make bigger models, many don't equally increase the surface area of the light in relation to the diodes added. For instance the mars 400 vs the 900, roughtly about double the chips in the 900 to 400 but does the surface area of the light double...nope... therefore the light becomes more intense directly under it, but the coverage doesn't grow by much... like the rubberbanded flashlights.

Nice grow.

I weigh wet because I want to know what I will get once dry. I minus my wet weight number by 75%, and it is always pretty dead on. If the buds feel a bit more fluffy than my usual dense buds, then I minus 77%.

Back
Top Bottom