Icemud LED Grow Featuring The All New Budmaster COB Technology - White Full Spectrum

Re: Icemud LED Grow Featuring The All New Budmaster COB Technology - White Full Spect

Hi Icemud, I've been looking through your journals and watching your wonderful videos on youtube. Thank you for all you do in regards with sharing your knowledge. Very impressive. Now that you've done a grow with GOD and COB which would you consider the better light for flowering? I would imagine a combo a 4GOD and a 4COB in one tent and then just switching the plants around, but if you only had one choice which one would you recommend the all white COB ro the multi color GOD?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before.

Hey Nulife!

Well I can't really compare the GOD vs COB and say which is better for flowering, as they both have differences that I like. Its more a matter of what is best for your style of growing, that gives the best coverage for the grow area, as well as the grow style. I was talking with some other fellow light enthusiasts, and it was mentioned that about a year ago there was a light symposium with Dr. Bugby and hundreds of industry lighting trade owners and horticulture experts and supposedly Dr. Bugby asked the crowd to raise their hand if they though spectrum alone could cause an increase in 10% of yield.... now mind you the crowd was all horticultural experts, lighting manufactures and such and not one hand raised... meaning that spectrum really was not the influencer that was vastly important in most peoples belief to increase yield... and I have also read research abstracts that support this..

With lighting its mostly about getting the right blends of light spectrums, but more importantly getting the right intensity evenly distributed across the canopy which both the GOD and COB can do if used correctly. If you were growing shorter bushier plants, in a space with limited vertical height, the COBs would be the best bet as they are much less intense in terms of being like a spotlight, and more like a floodlight. In a garden where vertical height is not limited, and you were growing tall plants and had a good 2-4' of vertical height above the canopy, then the GOD might be the better option as it is more direct like a spotlight and much more intense, but doesn't spread as easily. The are both very close when I PAR tested each one, but this would be the main difference, as both provided me with very flavorful trichome covered nugs. So really the "BEST" would be situational for each grower in my opinion.

Re: Icemud LED Grow Featuring The All New Budmaster COB Technology - White Full Spect

Hey Dr Cannabi! I'm happy about getting the medicine... not to happy on the cost of it, but I guess a few hundred bucks is cheaper than a brain infection or worse... so I guess the trade off is in my favor :) Yea I couldn't imagine living without modern medicine, I mean I am against the senseless prescribing of drugs when their are healthier or better options, for instance opiate based medicine vs cannabis for pain... but again things like antibiotics and such are very much needed and appreciated :)

I'm so happy that my 1st round of seed production is nearing the completion... Its kind of like that feeling where you are stopped in your car by one of those 5 mile long freight trains going slow... and you finally see the last traincar in the horizon :) hahaha :) Can't wait to get this one over with, and start the next one which will be my Ogiesel round... everything in the tent will get pollinated by a reversed ogiesel female :)

Also, I had some random bagseeds from my friend in Chicago I brought back from my last trip home, and so I planted 3 of them and have 3 seedlings that I will incorporate into my upcomming grows... No clue what they are, or even if the genetics are good, but who doesn't like a good mystery :) kind of like a scooby doo episode.. can't wait to pull of the mask and see who it is :)

lol! Scooby-Dooby-Do is my wake up alarm lol. We are very lucky to live in the US. Modern medicine has its place just like you said. Even opiates after surgery or for pain that mmj won't tackle.

The bag seed will be fun to watch. It's Christmas in August lol. I like your Ogiesel idea. I love both of those genetics. It will be really cool to watch you crack your own seeds. That's how the magic starts! :thumb:

Thanks, that totally makes sense. I was definitely eye balling the COBx8 for my limited grow area, I think that would be good for me. That will be the goal for my next grow. But maybe I can learn how to make one instead. Thank you for all your help. I will definitely be following you around, trying to learn some tidbits from your fountain of knowledge. LOL
:thanks:

Hey Nulife!

Well I can't really compare the GOD vs COB and say which is better for flowering, as they both have differences that I like. Its more a matter of what is best for your style of growing, that gives the best coverage for the grow area, as well as the grow style. I was talking with some other fellow light enthusiasts, and it was mentioned that about a year ago there was a light symposium with Dr. Bugby and hundreds of industry lighting trade owners and horticulture experts and supposedly Dr. Bugby asked the crowd to raise their hand if they though spectrum alone could cause an increase in 10% of yield.... now mind you the crowd was all horticultural experts, lighting manufactures and such and not one hand raised... meaning that spectrum really was not the influencer that was vastly important in most peoples belief to increase yield... and I have also read research abstracts that support this..

With lighting its mostly about getting the right blends of light spectrums, but more importantly getting the right intensity evenly distributed across the canopy which both the GOD and COB can do if used correctly. If you were growing shorter bushier plants, in a space with limited vertical height, the COBs would be the best bet as they are much less intense in terms of being like a spotlight, and more like a floodlight. In a garden where vertical height is not limited, and you were growing tall plants and had a good 2-4' of vertical height above the canopy, then the GOD might be the better option as it is more direct like a spotlight and much more intense, but doesn't spread as easily. The are both very close when I PAR tested each one, but this would be the main difference, as both provided me with very flavorful trichome covered nugs. So really the "BEST" would be situational for each grower in my opinion.

lol! Scooby-Dooby-Do is my wake up alarm lol. We are very lucky to live in the US. Modern medicine has its place just like you said. Even opiates after surgery or for pain that mmj won't tackle.

The bag seed will be fun to watch. It's Christmas in August lol. I like your Ogiesel idea. I love both of those genetics. It will be really cool to watch you crack your own seeds. That's how the magic starts! :thumb:

Yea the Ogiesel and Black Cherry Soda are definitely my 2 favorites out of the many genetics I have run, so they definitely were my 1st 2 I wanted to make feminized seeds from, as well as they will make for good breeding strains as they are so genetically diverse... especially the Black Cherry Soda...

The black Cherry Soda is related closely by genetics to blueberry, bubblegum, afgoo, and blue dream according to genetic data I have been comparing it with, which terp wise makes sense as it tastes like a grape/fruitpunch pink bubblegum flavor.. and further down the genetic line are strains like jilly bean, strawberry cough and such... so the terps definitely are in those genetics for fruity/grape/sweet.

The Ogiesel I don't have genetic data on, but hopefully with my connections I soon will, but looking at the crosses which are SFV OG x mass super skunk and Chemdawg... it is a completely different set of genetic makeup than the black cherry soda, so I think by crossing the BCS and the OGiesel I am really in for something special.

Whats really interesting is all the stories of how OG kush came from supposedly sour diesel and chemdawg phenos or something, based on genetic relations are accurate as they are very similar in genetic structure :)

Also the Tangie I am exited to breed with and reverse to make crosses and feminized BX seeds. It also shares a completely different genetic expression than Ogiesel or Black Cherry Soda. The Tangie shares a lot of the same genetic similarities as apollo 13, sage, durbin poison, super silver haze and many different skunk versions. Whats interesting is down the line further from tangie, in shared genetic traits are many of the CBD strains such as ACDC and Cannatonic... So it will be really intersting to see how this plays out in the crosses.

Harlequin is also very interesting on the genetic spectrum as it is sort of off on its own.. with not a lot of other strains closely related in genetics, but further down the line it relates to strains like chernobyl, el nino, blue dream and jack... but also showed it had similarites with some feral hemp tested too... very interesting, I wonder if the hemp is what brought cbd back into the mix...

Diamond OG had no data on it, and I don't really know exactly the genetics but its rumored to be blackberry x diamond og. The genetic relations are very close to grape ape, bubba kushes, hindu kush in terms of blackberry and I didn't find data on diamond og,

All 6 strains I have are completely different in the genetic groupings they come from, so I think that I really will have some magic happen as I start crossing them and seeing what comes of the offspring. I still have a lot to learn with using the genetics to go for a goal of breeding, but the more I learn, the more confident I will be with future strains I create in terms of perfect combos :)

Very cool project. It will awesome to see these come into there own once the back crossing starts :high-five:

Icemud, I was thinking about the conversation about HPS vs LED, and I wondered if you ever saw DrZiggy's experiment with a bunch of small no-mercy plants on a Swick. It didn't require any height and it only took 100 days or so, and it yielded crazy good numbers. I think he got well over one gram/day. :thedoubletake:

It's some good data about multi-level yields. :slide:

Icemud, I was thinking about the conversation about HPS vs LED, and I wondered if you ever saw DrZiggy's experiment with a bunch of small no-mercy plants on a Swick. It didn't require any height and it only took 100 days or so, and it yielded crazy good numbers. I think he got well over one gram/day. :thedoubletake:

It's some good data about multi-level yields. :slide:

I didn't actually see that, but I have thought about that a couple times in the past as well. I've thought about trying that, or even small 2 liter bottles, cut off all side branching In a sea of green only with main colas.. I haven't done it though because we are still technically limited by plant count, I think... the rules are so foggy and messed up ever since they signed MMRSA. I have even thought about trying a double decker grow in my tent, 2 shelfs with leds, but the LED's I have aren't designed for that type of grow with limited vertical distance and a nice even footprint.. the cobs would work but don't have enough of them.

At my work, and how we are setting up our grow, its very similar to that.. more plants, less vertical height, flat even canopy lighting, as it makes more sense to have more canopy in the given amount of space, since those top buds are the ones we want anyways.

I've been itching to change things up with my soil lately as I think after like 2-3 years its pretty spent... Maybe I need to add some more fresh soil to it.. who knows... swick does sound interesting :) LOL so many things to focus on and haven't tried them all yet :) haha

Very cool project. It will awesome to see these come into there own once the back crossing starts :high-five:

Yep :) I'm pretty excited myself :) its going to be a challenge picking on which to start with, but still have a few feminized bx's to make to preserve genetics before I get into that :)

I found the spot in Ziggy's journal where he documents the yield on that no mercy grow:

Ok..Yield of my SWICK #1 233.5 grams from 12 plants (3 Bubblegum, 4 WW, 5 Unknowns..a couple are very grape in under 13 weeks from seed 11/13 on a 3 sq ft tote cover.

The math is pretty interesting. :cheesygrinsmiley:

DrZiggy's 1st Journal Featuring Doc Buds High Brix Kit - LEDs & Cool Strains

Ye been a while since i last visited, Mmm some new face's as well popping in for a gander !

Some hard reading with tec light stuff over the last few pages er like my head hurts trying to absorb it all, it will sink in eventually :thumb:

Been a cool journal to follow & i'll check out the new one asap.

Well we are getting really close to finishing up my first seed project! I pulled 1 seed off each of the plants to open up the calyx and check to see if they were mature and all of them had nice dark brown seeds with stripes, except the ogiesel which still looks like it needs a few days or so to finish letting them mature. Overall though all of them have nice healthy looking seeds and a lot of them, except the ogiesel which really didn't seem to produce a lot of seeds and looks like I only may have pollenated 1 of the 3 or 4 tops, but we will see once I break them all open :)

I'm so excited that everything from this seed project worked out well, and that I have my very own strains that I have developed :) pretty sweet!

I am going to wait about 3-4 more days and most likely by the weekend or early next week these ladies will be harvested and on their way to drying. I'm not going to cure this batch so I will just dry them fully and pretty much bust up the buds to shake to get all the seeds, label and sort them and then get my next round started. I think I'm going to do Ogiesel next as my female reversed to male but I still may change my mind too :)

Well I think they are about done :) I'm going to check the ogiesel seeds tonight and if they look ready then they will get chopped tonight, if not then it will pretty much be most likely by monday :)

IMG_20160817_210329.jpg
IMG_20160816_215950.jpg

Congrat's on producing your own seeds, Brother! :high-five:

Dude! I'm so stoked! Finally I got one out of the way, and it was a success! It is so fun learning new techniques and ways to grow, sometimes its almost overwhelming on how much still to learn there is, but the thrill and excitement of a successful grow is amazing :) and to have my very own strains unique to my collection of genetics is just mind blowing :)

I found the spot in Ziggy's journal where he documents the yield on that no mercy grow:

Ok..Yield of my SWICK #1 233.5 grams from 12 plants (3 Bubblegum, 4 WW, 5 Unknowns..a couple are very grape in under 13 weeks from seed 11/13 on a 3 sq ft tote cover.

The math is pretty interesting. :cheesygrinsmiley:

DrZiggy's 1st Journal Featuring Doc Buds High Brix Kit - LEDs & Cool Strains

Thank you Graytail!!! I appreciate you locating the thread and pages! Thats very similar to what I was talking about in the other thread, something I have wanted to do for a while now, actually would be perfect for lights designed like that reflector that ziggy is rocking, as its very even footprint but the intensity doesn't carry far, its a perfect light source for that type of grow :) I honestly can see why he got such an amazing gram per watt, as that top cola is always the heaviest, and most sought after :) so why not just grow all tops :) and a ton of them :)

The math really is interesting if you look at it on a industrial scale... I mean if you could keep the same grow area, but use it more efficiently by reducing plant size, increasing plant count, and doubling to trippling canopy space, why not :) (except those pesky plant counts!) lol. not only that, if you could grow 4x as much canopy in a smaller building, less cooling/heating costs, co2 use, and using LED in a more efficient way.. much more revenue and reduced costs :)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to try this yet, even though I have wanted to do it for a long time now, I'm limited by plant counts as well... but for those that can do it, I think it may be the best use for LED designed in a way similar to the reflectors :) lots of surface area and spread between the diodes, and no dual lenses :)

Right?! :thedoubletake:

When I did the math I was blown away - that's almost a gram per sqft per day! And the simplicity of it - jus' plant seeds under 11/13 and chop 'em 100 days later - rinse, repeat. :slide:

Small pots, so no height there, maybe 6 inches ... a foot or less of clearance ... maybe a 2 foot plant ... 6 inches of panel ... you're at under 4 feet per shelf. :laugh:

And a gram per sqft per day. :straightface: Amazing potential.

Right?! :thedoubletake:

When I did the math I was blown away - that's almost a gram per sqft per day! And the simplicity of it - jus' plant seeds under 11/13 and chop 'em 100 days later - rinse, repeat. :slide:

Small pots, so no height there, maybe 6 inches ... a foot or less of clearance ... maybe a 2 foot plant ... 6 inches of panel ... you're at under 4 feet per shelf. :laugh:

And a gram per sqft per day. :straightface: Amazing potential.

Yep! the cutback on veg time too is awesome, where you could veg for very short and go right into flowering, instead of how I am doing where veg is almost 2 months.. I know in the future it will be something I try, and I like the swick delivery system :) I think it would be ideal for that type of grow :) or even a flood tray with soilless medium on a timer :)

I was a little skeptical in the other thread when they said they tried the tiered system with LED and it didn't work.. I can't see it not working, unless the LED's were used in an HPS mentality :)

i think its really about making it work for you and i can see you doing just that , you have a plethora of knowledge on all forms "light" so if you need advice you ask ice ,man you can blow this shit right outta the water ice .

Yep! the cutback on veg time too is awesome, where you could veg for very short and go right into flowering, instead of how I am doing where veg is almost 2 months.. I know in the future it will be something I try, and I like the swick delivery system :) I think it would be ideal for that type of grow :) or even a flood tray with soilless medium on a timer :)

I was a little skeptical in the other thread when they said they tried the tiered system with LED and it didn't work.. I can't see it not working, unless the LED's were used in an HPS mentality :)

Actually you can grow with LOS and autopots. No timers, no electricity, no nutes, and stunning hydro like results in the weight department yet the smoke is 100% organic and beautiful.

Very cheap to get into as well. It for sure gets my product if the year vote. It's like hydro for soil and is a flood tray that uses floats and gravity instead of electricity. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom