Icemud's Advanced LED XTE Grow - Harlequin - Ogiesel - Black Cherry Cola - Big Pots!

Hello everyone!!!

I am back with my ???? maybe 11th grow here at 420 Magazine and I have something new to try for this grow. If you have followed me or seen any of my past grows, you always see me growing 6 plants in 5 gallon plastic pots. I've always had good success this way and usually average around 1lb per grow in my 2.5'x5'x7' hydrohut tent.

I was thinking back to that old saying... the larger the roots, the bigger the fruits... or something like that... and I've also been recommended by Docbud to increase my pot size for larger yields and better success with my High Brix focused soil.... so finally I decided its time to do this. So I went out and purchased 10 gallon smart pots.

I've used smaller smart pots in the past, and really liked them as my plants seemed really happy and I yielded very nicely with them, however, the only drawback I didn't like was cleaning them after the grow... Oh well the advantages outweigh the disadvantages so I decided F-it. I'm going big or going home??? lol I'm going big at home! haha

So my goal is to see what my plants yield with larger pots this grow and I am hoping to see a big increase in my Gram per watt and individual plant weight. Since I have grown each of these strains numerous times, I have some good data to compare to so we will see what happens...

Anyhow, I hope you all join along for the fun....

Here's the details:

What strain is it?

Harlequin:

Ogiesel:

Black Cherry Cola:

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
These strains are all hybrids....

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
The girls have been vegging for months under my Advanced LED EX-VEG 200's. I will be vegging them for about 3 weeks under the 3x XTE 300's with only the white/blue channel on, and then the last week before flowering I will turn on the red channel of all 3 lights. Total veg time for these plants is anywhere from 3 months to about 1 year. They are my mothers. I will be cloning all of them and making sure they root before I flip these plants to flowering.

If in Veg... For how long?

They are my mothers so probably vegged from anywhere from 3 months to over 1 year.

If in Flower stage... For how long?

Not in flowering yet, but very soon.

Indoor or outdoor?
Indoors.

Grow Area Description and equipment
Each grow tent is a Hydrohut silver edition 2x4' tent. Actual measurements are larger and each tent measures approx 2.5'x5'x7'. Each tent is equipped with a large carbon filter, 6" fan on a manual variable speed controller. Intake air is sucked into the tent by the negative pressure and let in the lower portion of the tent on each side. Also the flowering tent is equipped with 2 circulation fans...one on an intake hose at ground level, and the other on the roof of the tent blowing downwards. Lights are daisy chained together and power is run through a digital timer. Lighting is done by 3x Advanced LED XTE 300 LED grow lights.
IMG_20150507_153407.jpg

IMG_20150507_171524.jpg

Size of light?
I will be using 3x Advanced LED XTE 300 LED grow lights. Each light has an actual draw of around 250W (+/- 5W) so the grows total draw is around 750W. Each light is rated for a total coverage of 3.5'x4' and optimal lighting in the size of 3'x3'.
XTE_300w_Back_Photo_69889_1410917474_1280_12801.jpg
screenshot-2014-07-16-02_25_061.png
spectrum-output1.png
ds-xte-300-infographic-update.jpg

Is it aircooled?
The lights are cooled by individual fans to keep case temps down...the fans also have a dust screen to help keep the insides of the lights clean.
The tent is cooled by a 6" hydrofarm fan hooked to a large carbon scrubber mounted at the top of my grow tent.

Soil or Hydro?
Soil.... recycled and reused soil.

If soil... what is in your mix?
This is about a 5th generation soil, probably about 2 years old now. I recycle it each grow into a big bin with other cooking soil, add some amendments and let it cook. Since I don't have ratios anymore that I can mention, I will just say what is in the mix.

The Base Soil Mix:

ProMix HP
Worm Castings
Volcanic Pumice
Alaskan Forest Humus

The Amendments:
Azomite (trace minerals and micronutrients)
Calcium Carbonate Powder 97%
Soft Rock Phosphate (Collidal Clay with high phosphorus and CEC value)
Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate)
Crab Meal 2-3-0 23% calcium(also a P source and source of chitin a hormone/growth regulator)
Fish Bone meal. (3-18-0) 24% Calcium
Lava Sand (adds trace minerals and supposedly adds paramagnetic value to the soil)
Crab Shell Meal 2-3-0 23% Calcium
Kelp Meal (also has growth hormones and PGR's, plus trace minerals)
Alfalfa Meal. (2-0-3) (contains Trichontinol which aids in plant growth and health)
Powdered Humic Acid (Adds Carbons to the soil as well as trace minerals and aids in chelation of minerals)
Humboldt Myco's Maximum (Beneficial Bacteria and Mycorrizae Fungus)
Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate)
Greensand (0-0-3) (Trace Minerals)
Dry Molasses (1-0-3) (Energy for the Microbes)
DSC071841.JPG

DSC07182.JPG

DSC071801.JPG

DSC071791.JPG

DSC07177.JPG

DSC071751.JPG

DSC07173.JPG

DSC07171.JPG

DSC04241.JPG

DSC04237.JPG

If soil... What size pot?
It is soil, and the pots are #10 smartpots (10 gallon) and I think there actually larger than 10 gallons..

Temp of Room/cab?
usually my ambient temps stay between 75F-85F

RH of Room/cab?
my RH typically stays right around 50% but sometimes (rarely) the winds come off the desert and dry the RH down to 10% or less.

PH of media or res?
I don't check PH..

Any Pests ?
Nope...none
I do use a few preventative measures to make sure it stays this way..
I grow high brix, so typically pests don't go for high brix plants.
I spray in veg with spinosad which pretty much prevents any pests from wanting to breed
I use yucca extract in soil and foliar sprays which also seems to be a great pest deterrent.

How often are you watering?
I water every day to every other day, only 1 cup of water for small vegging plants and 2 to 2 1/2 cups of water for larger vegging and flowering plants.

Type and strength of ferts used?

Using foliar products including Bloomit, Amaze and PGR.
I also will be using Tand J enterprises tea and bio-minerals
about 1x per month I will be giving a soil drench of earthjuice

Other nutrients on hand include and may be used:
occasional additive include advanced nutrients: carboload, organic b, fulvic acid
occasional additives include general organics: bioweed, cal/mag, hydrolyzed squid, florablend tea, bioroot
bonide liquid fish 2-4-0...love this stuff!
SNS pest products for prevention
Spinosad by bonide
DSC095091.JPG

DSC095101.JPG

Re: Icemud's Advanced LED XTE grow: Harlequin, Ogiesel, Black Cherry Cola, BIG POTS!!

So today is the start of my new grow.

I cleaned my tent, washed the inside tray and sprayed it with lysol, let it dry and got to work. I first hung the Advanced LED XTE's in the tent and moved them all the way to the top. I also cleaned off the dust that was on them from the last grow. I have to figure out how to remove the dust covers because the could use a little cleaning :)

I then purchased some #10 smartpots and took my 3 plants that were in veg, harlequin, OGiesel and black cherry cola and removed them from their 5 gallon square plastic pots and put them into the new 10 gallon smartpots. I think these smartpots hold more than 10 gallons because after putting the plant in, it too almost 2 more 5 gallon pots full of soil to fill the smartpots, so I would almost estimate they are closer to 15 gallon pots.

The plants health was not the greatest as it is extremely difficult to see deficiencies in the all blue LED light from the EX VEG panels they were under, so I am going to let them regain health as well as let the roots sprall for a few weeks before I put them into flower. This will also give me time to take clones and make sure they root before the flip.

As far as feeding, I will have to adjust slightly to the larger pots so I still plan on starting at around 1-2 cups per day and seeing how that works for a while. I may have to slightly up the volume of feedings because of the smartpots porous structure which may allow water to evaporate quicker. But only time will tell.

So here are the girls today! in their new pots and new home!!!

IMG_20150507_171508.jpg
IMG_20150507_171513.jpg
IMG_20150507_171532.jpg
IMG_20150507_171546.jpg
IMG_20150507_171551.jpg
IMG_20150507_171555.jpg

Re: Icemud's Advanced LED XTE grow: Harlequin, Ogiesel, Black Cherry Cola, BIG POTS!!

yessssssss!!

I cant wait to see the difference between the smaller and larger pots.. This should be another awesome Grow Ice!! :cheer::cheer::volcano-smiley::thumb::goodjob:

Hey K0ncept!!!

Glad to have ya over here!

I'm really excited about this one too. I really think the larger pots will make a difference in yield and also plant health in late flowering :)

Just started and already can't wait for harvest :)

Haha

Made a quick grow video for the new grow

Signed up and ready to rock.

Su-su-subbed! :slide:

Re: Icemud's Advanced LED XTE Grow - Harlequin - Ogiesel - Black Cherry Cola - Big Po

Ice I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Fan Silencer.. I seriously cant say how much I love it!! Worked better than intended and now my room is going back into stealth mode as neighbors were getting weird..

Here is a look at the Intake to the Grow Room now, the filter box is on the outside of the house, and this is where it comes in now.. I cant say how quiet it has made things.. But I can hear Pandora now lol..
20150507_191320.jpg

Re: Icemud's Advanced LED XTE Grow - Harlequin - Ogiesel - Black Cherry Cola - Big Po

Great update Icemud ,

I love the changes for this round. ready for the show :)

Signed up and ready to rock.

Hey RSOiler!!!!! glad to have you!!!

Su-su-subbed! :slide:

Hey Graytail!!!! always a pleasure to have you aboard!!

Subbed and ready to learn :) Good luck Icemud :thumb:

Welcome Kriaze!

Ice I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Fan Silencer.. I seriously cant say how much I love it!! Worked better than intended and now my room is going back into stealth mode as neighbors were getting weird..

Here is a look at the Intake to the Grow Room now, the filter box is on the outside of the house, and this is where it comes in now.. I cant say how quiet it has made things.. But I can hear Pandora now lol..
20150507_191320.jpg

Very nice! Yea I had to figure out a way to quiet my grow area too, just so I don't become a problem with my neighbors. I ended up putting sound proofing I had left over from my recording days above the fans in the tent, and then lined the top of the tent on the outside with more soundproofing, and let the 6" ducting rest under the soundproofing. When I had an external fan going with my HID setup, I took a large rubbermaid container, cut a hole on each side of the rubbermaid for the 6" duct to fit, and put the fan inside the rubbermaid surrounded by old shirts and soundproofing. This helped quiet my area a ton, and right now its no louder than my little tower air ionizer on low :) Glad you found a solutions :)

Great update Icemud ,

I love the changes for this round. ready for the show :)

Hey Ronnie!!! I'm excited about it too :) i've been wanting to get bigger pots for a while now, so finally did it :) I can't wait to see the results if I get a larger yield and G/w or its about the same. I think I will be happy about the results :)

Hey Darkgrow!!!!

Great Update Brotha Subbed :thumb:

Hey there Ice here for the ride again!! I did a side by side grow one plant in a 5gal and the rest in 10gal pots (not smart pots tho) and the one in the 5 gal container finished earlier (about to chop) and the others are much larger about 33% larger all of them and they are not ready for harvest yet. I'm good for bigger yields but the plants get physically larger so if ya have the room its better my results proved that out this grow for me.

You have enough light there?? I'm getting ready to turn on the AC soon, my flower tent is warm to say the least.

Cheers

Mr. Icemud have you tried the blumat drip system for when you go on business? I am working on it now. Seems like a useful product.

I'm in for the ride Ice,

Good luck and happy growing

Hey Hash Hound!!!! Glad to have you here, plenty of seats left! :)

Great Update Brotha Subbed :thumb:

Hey Cronic!!! Happy Mondaze!!!!

Hey there Ice here for the ride again!! I did a side by side grow one plant in a 5gal and the rest in 10gal pots (not smart pots tho) and the one in the 5 gal container finished earlier (about to chop) and the others are much larger about 33% larger all of them and they are not ready for harvest yet. I'm good for bigger yields but the plants get physically larger so if ya have the room its better my results proved that out this grow for me.

You have enough light there?? I'm getting ready to turn on the AC soon, my flower tent is warm to say the least.

Cheers

Hey Bobrown!! good to hear that with the larger pots the plants are larger, interesting that the finishing times are different. I was expecting the plants to get larger, so only running 3 instead of my usual 6 which should allow them to spread out more getting more light to the lower branches which wasn't happening with so many jammed in my tent. I'm hoping to see a good increase in yield, but even if its the same I will be happy with the results too :)

enough light..haha yea my plants are probably close to saturation at this point :) hopefully I can keep the temps down through the summer because that AC is way to expensive to run constantly where I'm at.

Mr. Icemud have you tried the blumat drip system for when you go on business? I am working on it now. Seems like a useful product.

I've never heard of it, but appreciate the suggestion. I don't think I will be doing too many business trips this next few months as I am on my way out with this company. They cut my commissions so severely that I can't afford to work there anymore so after this trip upcomming this weekend, it most likely will be my last.

Back
Top Bottom