Icemud's Advanced LED XTE Grow - Harlequin - Ogiesel - Black Cherry Cola - Big Pots!

Re: Icemud's Advanced LED XTE Grow - Harlequin - Ogiesel - Black Cherry Cola - Big Po

Hey gang...interesting chat. With my 26 gal. home made rootbuilder pots they need to be watered every three to four days .It's cool when they get dryer cuz when you lightly beat on the top like a drum, it sounds like one , do to all the air in the root mass. When alot of the moister gets used up, our soil gets very airy and light.That's why using the weight of the pot as a "guide" to when to water is so effective with smaller pots. You can't go wrong using that method. Cheers eh, goin for a Stella. :thumb:

I've noticed the "drum sound" too almost like a hollow wood log or something type of sound. I used to do the pot lifting method, but with these larger pots, I didn't want to mess up my back attempting to lift them so I just use my soil el-cheepo moisture probe and so far I have been getting better with my watering techniques. whats tough is having different strains with different needs all going at 1x, hard for me to keep track of trend....I guess I should journal better :)

I do use the lifting method in my veg tent, and it works very well.... :)

good suggestions duggan :)

Re: Icemud's Advanced LED XTE Grow - Harlequin - Ogiesel - Black Cherry Cola - Big Po

Documenting is tough. I try to include as much as possible in my updates and phrase it consistently enough to be able to efficiently use the "search thread" function. I naively thought it would be easy to flip through the pages of the journal and find what I wanted. I didn't anticipate the sheer number of pages my crew can chew through. LOL!

I finally broke down and started designing a flow sheet for that convoluted tent I'm running. :laughtwo: Now I just need to be consistent about making notes. It never ends. :battingeyelashes:

This is a hobby, right? :laughtwo: I can't complain, I'm having fun.

"Buess". Good one. My iPad did not want to type that. :rofl:

Documenting is tough. I try to include as much as possible in my updates and phrase it consistently enough to be able to efficiently use the "search thread" function. I naively thought it would be easy to flip through the pages of the journal and find what I wanted. I didn't anticipate the sheer number of pages my crew can chew through. LOL!

I finally broke down and started designing a flow sheet for that convoluted tent I'm running. :laughtwo: Now I just need to be consistent about making notes. It never ends. :battingeyelashes:

This is a hobby, right? :laughtwo: I can't complain, I'm having fun.

That's a good idea..to characterize my posts more, well at least the journal updates. Maybe if I used certain keywords in every one like "feeding" "watered" and things like that I could easily find them. I also think Jandre uses a computer program or app to track his days and all the data, maybe I will look into that tonight too :) a nice easy auto spreadsheet type deal :)

Yea Its fun, I love growing, experimenting, even messing things up and trying again... not only growing cannabis but growing my knowledge base along the way too :)

"Buess". Good one. My iPad did not want to type that. :rofl:

Haha, I couldn't believe I typed that because in my mind I was thinking best guess, but somehow my fingers thought buess looked better :) lol

that proggy has tmi
:rofl:
I like my notepad and minimal notes and maximum memory :rofl:

Top of the day to ya Ice...just cruising around ...hope all is fantastic in your world my brotha. Have a great afternoon and evening with your people. Cheers.

Hey Duggan! Good day to you as well.... everything so far is good and wonderful today :) Appreciate the good vibes :) Hope you are having a great day as well :)

Hey Everyone..... Well today I had babies!!! yup...

ok... I personally didn't have them, but now I have more genetics to add to my "genetic hoarding collection" hahah.

I have been on the search for Grand Daddy Purple for some time now, and have gotten 2 different clones that were supposedly GDP that ended up not being what they were supposed to, therefore I've been looking everywhere local, and I don't want to order the Kens' GDP because from what I read its a BX version and not the 100% original. So.... I was browsing Craigsl!st last night and found a local clone supplier....

So today, called them up and drove about 30 minutes to take a look at what they had. They had quite an extensive assortment, probably over 20 different types. I wasn't really impressed though with the way they kept their rooms as they were messy, disorganized and definitely not that "sterile" type environment I would like to see with the options today...but oh well, they had GDP.

So upon inspecting their clones, I immediately noticed white spots on the leaves.... yup....spider mite damage. I mentioned it to them and they said they "have been treating it" with azomax but I still noticed some eggs/mites on the undersides of the leaves but I decided to go ahead and take the chance that my skills in eradication are good :)

I ended up picking up 5 new strains: Black Diamond OG, Blue Dream, GDP, Fire OG, and Area 51. The clones were all well rooted in coco in solo cups except for the 3 GDP's which were in rockwool and haven't rooted yet. They pretty much resemble twigs with a few leaves so they gave those to me because they may not take, but I figured with 3 twigs, one should at least take.

So the Prep and quarentine process:

Immediately when I got home I cleared out about half of the tangies in my 3rd tent, unfortunately I was unable to completely clear it for a proper quarantine leaving a few of my smaller tangies in there with them, however I know my soil in there has hypoapsis mites, which are predatory soil mites so I'm sure with the combo of my 3 part treatment (spinosad, bon neem, mite x) in rotation, they shouldn't be a problem. I would have fully removed all the tangies but have no room in my other 2 tents currently until my current flowering plants are done which should be in the next couple weeks.

I prepared 3 gallon plastic pots with my cooked recycled soil, leaving a hole with enough room for the solo cup rootball. Then I sprinkled 2 different mycos products into the hole making sure to cover the sides and bottom with a light dusting of Biovam and D&G part 1 which is humic acid and mycos.

Next I took each clone, 1 by 1 and rinsed the leaves under a lukewarm water in my sink. I left the pressure of water be pretty hard to help wash off any mites and eggs. After washing I then put the plant into the 3 gallon plastic pot and placed them into the tent.

Once I transplanted each of the clones (the GDP went from rockwool into solo cups until they get larger and root) I sprayed each of the plants very heavily with Bon Neem which is an excellent product by Bonide. Its basically a combo of neem oil and pyrethrins.

My spider mite rotation is 1 of each of the sprays about 5 days apart, for the course of 1 month. I start with the Bon Neem, then rotate in the Spinosad, and lastly the Mite X which is (clove oil and cottonseed oil, garlic oil). Ive read that spider mites can adapt and become immune quite quickly to 1 type of product, so its best to use a 2 or 3 part approach to rid them. Its worked 2x in the past for me very well :)

I watered each plant with some plain r/o water with azomite and calcium carbonate added to it for a "mineral water" and other than that they will get a foliar spray later tonight of vitamin B and a 1-1-1 nutrient (Thrive alive organic)

So without further adieu... here is the ladies of the evening !

Area 51
IMG_20150811_174459.jpg

Blue Dream
IMG_20150811_174506.jpg

GDP
IMG_20150811_174517.jpg
IMG_20150811_174521.jpg

Fire OG
IMG_20150811_174513.jpg

Black Diamond OG
IMG_20150811_174510.jpg

I have been really looking at GDP myself. Everything I have heard and read says that it is an incredible smoke. I really look forward to your grow of it ICE and will be wishing you the best with that. Congrats on scoring so many new strains. Now kill the mites and do what you do. :)

I have been really looking at GDP myself. Everything I have heard and read says that it is an incredible smoke. I really look forward to your grow of it ICE and will be wishing you the best with that. Congrats on scoring so many new strains. Now kill the mites and do what you do. :)

Yea it seems to have somewhat disappeared from the scene here. I mean its still around but seeds/clones are hard to find, unless you get the "kens cut" which I honestly dont believe is the original and true GDP that I remember. I am curious if they turn out but not getting my hopes up just yet.

Yea its Mite slaugter time... with the predator mites and the sprays I think those spider mites will be history :)

like they say you can wish in one hand :rofl:
you guys would have a way better chance than me of finding it tho

like they say you can wish in one hand :rofl:
you guys would have a way better chance than me of finding it tho

Yep... wonder what would happen if you wished and $#@# in the same hand... Lmao, j/k :)

Well hopefully I will stop finding clones that I want and can get on with my seed projects and then when I do I will throw some up in the air and let the breeze carry them your way :) still a while out though

I'm as impressed as I can be that you have such an in-depth plan to eradicate the mites Icemud. That's got to be the best plan I've come across. No wonder you brought those clones home. I don't think the spider mites stand a chance against you. :laughtwo:

Why are spider mites such a problem in the clone market? Just what's going on in environment or handling that makes this such a pervasive problem?

I'm as impressed as I can be that you have such an in-depth plan to eradicate the mites Icemud. That's got to be the best plan I've come across. No wonder you brought those clones home. I don't think the spider mites stand a chance against you. :laughtwo:

Why are spider mites such a problem in the clone market? Just what's going on in environment or handling that makes this such a pervasive problem?

Honestly its the lack of care by the owners/employees, people who think they know what they are doing but don't, people in for the wrong reasons. Its sad, honestly that with the freedom so far we have earned, that the choices to be professional are not being utilized by many (at least here in socal). You get these fly by night places, which pop up every week, last 2 to 3 months and then vanish. Most of them are seed/clone whores, they buy seeds, grow them out, whore out 1000's of clones from them, and many dont even search for the right phenotypes and just try to flip them for a profit. Many which I have found out are actually clueless about the genetic lineage, but will swear up and down there "verified clones". This is the reason so far I have been to 2 places with "verified" GDP and both were wrong clones, not even close....

These guys I met today were very noob and borderline idiot. I literally walked in and felt very sad for their plants as most of them were way beyond correctable nutrient deficient, all of them had spider mite damage and eggs. I had to tell these guys like 5x what strains I wanted, which I actually had a list already made up. On the phone before I went I asked if they had GDP rooted and he told me yes.. and when I get there the only GDP they had were the 3 "twigs" i picked up that weren't even rooted. I really had to calm myself down because I wanted to snap on the guy, making me drive 30 minutes in socal traffic each way for some unrooted twigs... but then I thought to myself...what does yelling at an idiot prove...???

I really am happy there are some good sources out there that actually take pride in their work. I just wish more would follow suit, however with the state of America today with the screw everyone else philosophy that seems to be prevailing, we will only hope the future is better.

It was actually pretty funny though...these guys were chatting it up about growing with me, and I was mostly listening because I didn't want to insult them, but they all of a sudden turned to me and said, "man, have you ever used compost tea? we just started using it and its awesome" I had to laugh because they acted like it was a message from the heavens that was cast upon them in a stone tablet and they were the only ones in the world that knew the secret. I had to laugh and then ask them fungi or bacteria based??? I did it just for a laugh because all I got was deer in headlights look.

:rofl:

OMG Icemud! Wish I could have seen that! :rofl: Laughing so hard it's hard to type. LOL! Ahhh...... LOL!

I'd like to think that once we regain our legislative sanity and legalize drugs in this country more reputable companies will arise. As long as we have this national schizophrenic relationship with cannabis it encourages the cut and run companies.

I'm an irrepressible optomist though, so I may be spitting in the wind with that pipe dream.

Pipe! Oh yeah! I need to reload. Hahaha!

OMG Icemud! Wish I could have seen that! :rofl: Laughing so hard it's hard to type. LOL! Ahhh...... LOL!

I'd like to think that once we regain our legislative sanity and legalize drugs in this country more reputable companies will arise. As long as we have this national schizophrenic relationship with cannabis it encourages the cut and run companies.

I'm an irrepressible optomist though, so I may be spitting in the wind with that pipe dream.

Pipe! Oh yeah! I need to reload. Hahaha!

I stay hopeful.

Pack it up!!! :bigtoke:

So I wrote this in response to someone bringing up the word "penetration" in another thread....I wrote it, rewrote it, came back, smoked a bowl and wrote more...when I was done it was like a freaking essay, but I said to myself "wow icemud" nice job..hahah (a mental pat on the back)...

Anyhow I find the word penetration gets thrown around a lot in plant lighting, but could mean and be influenced by so many things, I ran with the topic and included my thoughts.... so here it is.. I felt it was informative which is why I am copying it here...

Matter of fact, Penetration-one of the commonly used words in LED and plant lighting with virtually no solid definition or quantifiable measurement.... in all honesty, anytime I see someone claim "better penetration" I slightly pee on myself with laughter.

To me, penetration means proper illumination of the lower leaves under the canopy... so lets investigate how one can achieve this...

A handful of things can affect penetration when speaking in terms of a zone of optimal light into the canopy.. light intensity, multiple point sources vs single overhead lighting, distance between light point sources, beam angles, lenses, reflective surfaces, defoliation, grow style...

Penetration when speaking in terms of a distance or range of optimal intensity would refer to the "beam throw" or how deep far the light will carry, maintaining a PPFD of over 510umol/m2/s-1. This would be measured from the top of the canopy to the point where the light would drop below 510 umol/m2/s-1. This would be the range of Optimal penetration.

How could this be influenced??? What would penetrate more??

If you were comparing apples to apples like HPS to HPS, obviously in the same reflector and grow area, a 1000w would have better penetration than a 400w in terms of a single point source of light. In this situation the only change would be the actual intensity of the light source, therefore having a larger "zone distance" that would be optimal to produce good buds. Now does this mean that everyone should only use 1000w HPS...not exactly.... in this situation if you are growing 4' plants then yes a 1000w would be a better choice because you would get less larf on the lower sites, however, if you were growing a scrog or sea of green where penetration would only need to be 12" or so, then using multiple lower wattage bulbs would actually provide better penetration for the same wattage due to angled light entering and minimizing shading and since the lower wattage HPS would have less of a "zone" for optimal lighting, in a scrog or Sog or for short plants this would be ideal and provide better coverage, less hotspots and better penetration.

When talking LED then you also have beam angles which will affect "penetration" or distance into the canopy. For better penetration Higher wattage chips and narrow beam angles would offer great penetration when speaking in terms of "zone of optimal light" Similar to if you take a flashlight or beam of light with a zoom reflector, what causes more throw, a floodlight wide beam or a tight narrow beam? The tight narrow beam would have better penetration because the throw of the light is much longer as light is not dispersed as quickly as the flood setting. (focusing light using reflectors, and collimating lenses do not adhear directly to the inverse square law)

For example LED panel with 60 degree beam angles and lensing vs a non lens diode at 120 degrees, which would have better penetration? The one with the 60 degree beam angles because by directing the light in a tight angle, it extends the range the light carries which gives a larger "zone" of +510umol/m2/s-1 light vs the 120 degree one which the "zone" would be very very small. (when comparing equal panels with equal components, layout..etc)

Does this mean though that you should only look at LEDs with 60 degree beam angles..nope..Again, your lighting choice should be chosen by your grow style... if your growing tall 4' plants then yes, you would want a higher wattage, narrow beam angle light above each of the plants. If you are growing a scrog, sea of green or small plants then you would want a larger beam angle because you would get more smaller wattage lights with wider beam angles and hang the lights much closer to the canopy... then you would benefit not only from less shading due to multiple point sources, but also since a large "zone of optimal light" isnt needed, you would also benefit from better coverage area from same wattage using more smaller wattage lights...

Another way to achieve penetration is to provide multiple point sources of light. So in this method to achieve better penetration is to have multiple light sources spaced out from each other to provide "side lighting" and reduce shadowing. This also is accomplished by adding reflective material around the grow area which most of us already know and do. The more directions or diffused light that is entering the canopy from different angles, the greater the penetration because it would lessen shading from overhead direct lighting only from a single point source.

There also is another way to talk about penetration, and that would be in regards certain wavelengths of light and how far that light penetrates into the leaf tissue. This would involve light spectrum, and photon absorption. Out of all wavelengths of light in the PAR region, Green light Penetrates into the leaf further than red or blue light in high intensity full spectrum lighting because blue and red light are absorbed more easily at nearly 100%, where green absorbs around 70% therefore, because the reflected light is able to reflect within the leaf mesophyll, it can penetrate deeper into leaf tissue enhancing absorption of photons and increasing rates of photosynthesis. Commonly under the forest canopy, most of the light to find more Green and IR light than other colors because other colors like red and blue are absorbed much easier. The combination of green and IR is responsible for what is known as shade avoidance syndrome where plants will stretch in the abundance of this light to get out of the shade into more intense and full spectrum light.

So now, I think you can see why I giggle a little when I see people saying things like "better penetration" because it can be influenced by so many different variables, and could mean a couple different things. Like a high intensity 1000w light may have great penetration in terms of "light throw or zone of optimal light" where as multiple low wattage panels can also offer amazing penetration by providing multiple point sources of light.

One thing I have picked up in life is never trust someones opinion or information that can make a profit off you...

Made me smile, IceMud. Fungi or Bact. based....empty unknowing stares. That's great. Thanks I needed that.

:thumb:

EDIT: That's tantamount to saying 'we found this great media to grow in. The hydro store called it soil'. :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom