Icemud's Breeding Projects And Motherchucking Pollination Extravaganza

That Durban sure looks nice. :love: Where'd it come from?

I had a Durban x Bushmans that had the characteristic flavor, but I understand that it's hard to find a good Durban. The cross wasn't anything to brag about.
Hey Graytail... Thanks for the compliment :) she definitely has some sexy leaves and the stem rub is very strong..

I picked these up from Hazeman. He actually is having a "holiday" sale for the 4/20 event. So far I've been impressed with everything I've run that has come from him.

I have I think 11 more seeds, so if this "tester" turns out good I might reveg it and plan on doing a pollen chuck in the near future. I haven't smoked durban in a long time, but remember really liking it a lot when I had it.

Hey everyone! Quick update.

Today makes day 21 of flowering from the flip to 12/12 and the ladies are looking really good so far. I've been trying to keep my watering practices disciplined and so far things are going good. Hopefully this continues through the flowering period.

The (GDP x Deep Chunk) x Blueberry F4 really is getting frosty more than the other strains which is a really pleasing sign. I haven't really stem rubbed any of the new plants yet to see what kind of terps they are giving. I will probably wait a while before I do just as I know terps kind of change through flowering.

Other than that really happy things are going good.

Well I hope everyone is having a great week!

Here are some pics!

Durban Poison

88G13HP

(GDP x Deep Chunk) x DJ Short Blueberry f4

Ogiesel x 79 Xmas Bud

Dj Short blueberry F4 (A-1)

Black Cherry Soda

Chocolate Thai #5

Hey everyone, just a quick photo update... Day 29 of flowering from the flip. Things are looking pretty good in the tent. I finally went and bought myself a small humidifier to add to the tent to keep the humidity more steady. Where I live when the winds come off the ocean the RH almost always is 50-60% but when the winds shift and come off of the inland and desert the humidity will drop from 0% to 10% and these fluxuations seem to really mess with my plants water uptake. I haven't had a humidifier in my tents since my 1st couple grows so I figured its time to add one.

Not much else to report on at this time so how about some pics!

Durban Poison:

Ogiesel x 79 xmas Bud

(GDP x Deep Chunk) x Dj Short Blueberry F4

88G13HP

Hey Everyone! Today makes day 42 of flowering in my current grow cycle (from the flip) and things are looking pretty good, meaning I haven't killed them yet... LOL.

Overall I am quite impressed with how things are looking and the girls are really starting to take on some girth.

The durban poison is really nice how its forming, a trimmers dream as there are hardly any leaves on it, and its mostly all bud. I have grown cherry pie in the past and I can definitely see the traits the durban poison carried over to cherry pie in the leaves, structure and low leaf to calyx ratio.

I've been sick for the past week (sinus infection) so I can't smell anything, so can't comment on how the girls smell.

I'm also happy that the ogiesel x 79 Xmas bud is starting to fill out and develop trichomes, however its still far from what I would like to see this far along in the grow.

The (GDP x deep chunk) x DJ Short Blueberry I created is extremely frosty, however it seems to have almost stopped growing and the buds really haven't changed much in the past week or so. Not sure why but hopefully its just having a moment and will resume its growth soon.

The DJ Short Blueberry is really stacking on some girth. Not as frosty as the previous runs that I had with it, but its still early too, but wow is it really stacking.

The 88G13HP also is really stacking nicely. The buds are fairly airy but overall I think this would be an excellent plant to breed with some smaller nug dense modern strains like cookies or cherry pies or even OG kush. I think they would compliment each other nicely.

Not much else is going on lately. I've been trying to keep up my watering frequency and keeping the volume of feedings low. I've been doing a full strength feeding, then a 1/2 strength feeding then a 1/4 strength feeding and repeat rinse so that I don't build up too much salt in these small pots. I'm only currently giving the girls about 1 cup of water per feeding which seems to be much nicer on the plants than the 2 cups I usually give them. We will see.

Well here are some pics...

Durban Poison

Ogiesel x 79 Xmas Bud

(GDP x Deep Chunk) x Dj Short Blueberry F4 (pheno A-3)

Dj Short Blueberry F4 (pheno A-3)

88G13HP

Icemud.
Whats going on brother? The garden looks great man! Some pretty fast flower development from the Hashplant. And the Durban Poison looks like a winner! Glad to see you still doing your thing. Lifes thrown me a curveball or two lately so i apologize for not being present. But ill do my best to continue checking in on ya.
Well, im off to work now. We'll talk again soon. 😁
*walks off whistling* "I owe... i owe...so off to work i go...."

Icemud.
Whats going on brother? The garden looks great man! Some pretty fast flower development from the Hashplant. And the Durban Poison looks like a winner! Glad to see you still doing your thing. Lifes thrown me a curveball or two lately so i apologize for not being present. But ill do my best to continue checking in on ya.
Well, im off to work now. We'll talk again soon. 😁
*walks off whistling* "I owe... i owe...so off to work i go...."
Hey Sparks!! Glad to see ya my friend! Definitely really love what I am seeing in the garden this round. I hope my luck continues through harvest as I really can't wait to try some of these strains for the 1st time.

The Durban honestly I am blown away by how its developing. I see so much of the traits carried over to cherry pie and even the birthday cake, I really think that my next breeding project will be with the durban poison. I think I may pop a few more of my creations first though so I can get a few winners to carry forward in future projects that I created but durban is really really impressing me with how its growing. Makes me wonder how the other phenos will be. Definitely will be re-vegging this one.

Sorry to hear that life has thrown ya a curveball, but.... if I can remember my high school baseball coaches advice... hold back and focus on timing, don't swing for the fences but focus on contact and bringing in runs.... and don't forget to wash your jock strap and socks! LOL Man I hope all is good my friend! I didn't see ya around for a while so I definitely was hoping all was well with ya. Hope that good things come your way!!!

Definitely will be nice to have some of my own flower to enjoy for a while. Hopefully I don't kill of the plants in the final stretch.. this is where I always mess things up... LOL fingers crossed :)

Looking fab Ice!
Thank you Stone Otter! oh you mean the plants.... :laugh::rofl:

lol.

I definitely am pleased so far, and hoping that from here on out things continue in the path they are going :)

I appreciate the compliment!

Best regards,

Hey Sparks!! Glad to see ya my friend! Definitely really love what I am seeing in the garden this round. I hope my luck continues through harvest as I really can't wait to try some of these strains for the 1st time.

The Durban honestly I am blown away by how its developing. I see so much of the traits carried over to cherry pie and even the birthday cake, I really think that my next breeding project will be with the durban poison. I think I may pop a few more of my creations first though so I can get a few winners to carry forward in future projects that I created but durban is really really impressing me with how its growing. Makes me wonder how the other phenos will be. Definitely will be re-vegging this one.

Sorry to hear that life has thrown ya a curveball, but.... if I can remember my high school baseball coaches advice... hold back and focus on timing, don't swing for the fences but focus on contact and bringing in runs.... and don't forget to wash your jock strap and socks! LOL Man I hope all is good my friend! I didn't see ya around for a while so I definitely was hoping all was well with ya. Hope that good things come your way!!!

Definitely will be nice to have some of my own flower to enjoy for a while. Hopefully I don't kill of the plants in the final stretch.. this is where I always mess things up... LOL fingers crossed :)
Thank you for the well wishes and kind words Icemud. *checks jockstrap* lol! You definitely put a much needed smile on my face and reminded me that its always darkest just before dawn.
Keep up the great work in the garden! 😁👍

Came from the soil and now were here! Day 72 Flowering, Harvest DAY~~~!!!
So yesterday was the day... it was time to take down the grow and harvest my plants. Even though some of the plants really were done about a week or 2 ago (blueberry, durban poison, black cherry soda) and some of the plants could go another week or 2 (ogiesel x 79 xmas bud and alien antifreeze) I tried to time it right where some wouldn't suffer but yet allowing the late bloomers time to come close to finish :)

This was a test run for some of my strains I created (popping a random seed) as well as some new genetics that I haven't tried yet but have been breeding with (blueberry, chocolate thai, 88g13hp, durban poison) as well as to run my old classics to see which are worth keeping for future use and which I could let go of (if any).

This wasn't my best grow by far, I used synthetic nutrients in a single easy formulation with no change throughout the cycle, small pots, in an overcrowded small tent I still managed to make the plants look half decent. Obviously in a crammed tent, the lower branches really don't get the light they need or the airflow they should have, so a lot of the lower buds and leaves were trashed. The buds that mattered though, the tops, really don't look too shabby.

In flowering I didn't really defoliate a ton, more just slight leaf removal to open up some airflow and light paths to the lower canopy.

Over all though quite a nice pull by the looks of it.

I did keep the Durban poison and my GDP x Deep Chunk x Blueberry f4 to re-veg for potential use in future breeding projects.

For the Muddy Gene's Beans creations, here is my initial thoughts.

Ogiesel x 79 Xmas Bud F2: This random seed took forever to veg and was very very slow growing, typical of a indica type plant in which both of the parents have that trait. The buds were very slow to form and thicken up, but when they started to really gain girth the buds really started to thicken up. On Day 72, harvest day, i probably could have let this go another 2 or even 3 weeks to really get the most of it as it was still popping white hairs and orange hairs and the calyx's weren't quite swolen to my typical liking. For the sake of using the tent as a drying area, it was time to harvest. Trichome develpment wasn't amazing, I would give it a 3 or 4 out of 10 (10 being elite) and the terpenes definitely are very piney, mostly pine but were not very strong, probably a 4 out of 10. I'm sure there are other phenos if I pheno hunt these seeds I will find something good. It will be interesting to see how it dries and smokes.

(GDP X Deep Chunk) x DJ Short Blueberry F4: This plant was really really amazing. The growth took after the GDP as it was slow to grow, kind of flimsy with a lot of "trash" leaf/larf on the lower branches. The buds formed quickly and the frost was building on thick early in the grow. This strain rivaled my gorilla glue for frostiest sugar leaves and the buds were very dense and finished early (probably around day 50 or so). Bud size was small however compared to the other plants and plants size was on the smaller weaker side. I think there will be some real gems in this strain I made, so I kept this plant for now to re-veg and possibly use in future projects... we will see. Trichome rating I would probably say 8 of 10, and terpenes smell really really good. The GDP "norcal purp" hints are definitely there, with a deep complex "citrus" and then the blueberry/thai roots are in the terps as well, a very nice overall fruity blend. This one will definitely be a treat to try.

Here are some of the other "testers" I popped and were used either in previous breeding projects, or run the first time to try the flower:

Durban Poison: I am extremely impressed with the bud formations on this plant. A trimmers dream. All bud and hardly any leaf. The plant itself had very little side branching and grew like a single stalk. I didn't top it at all as I didn't have the room and the timing of the vegging was off so I had to flower without topping.

88G13HP: This plant too is very impressive. Huge cola's but they also were quite airy and made up of small skinny "spindle" type buds but wow... very impressive size, growth structure, girth and overall quite a nice plant. I didn't really do a bud rub to get terps but trichome development was quite nice, I would say a 6 of 10.

DJ Short Blueberry F4

Alien Antifreeze #2: This was by far my largest plant, even outdoing my Gorilla Glue #4. Lots of tops and nice thick branches in almost a bush fashion. The buds took a long time to really gain size and girth but later flowering they really caught up. I probably could have run this one another 2 weeks but I think this would be a great outdoor plant too. I didn't terp rub to get initial impression but trichomes probably were a 6.5 out of 10.

What happenin fellow growers stoners and friends!

Sorry I've been away for quite a while... to sum it up... "life" has been happening.

The flowering project that I was working on back in June came to an abrupt halt. Luckilly I had enough warning to finish up the grow and quick dry the buds and trim them into jars. Not the ideal solution but had to do what I had to do... Long story short, what started as my apartments tub backing up and talks with the landlord about a bathroom remodeling turned into an urgent plumbing emergency, involving my bathroom floor getting completely torn up to the main lines underground, a complete bathroom remodel, and me spending the better of 2 weeks over 4th of July weekend in local hotels. Definitely the timing was not great, but at least I have a nice brand new bathroom to enjoy.

I will post some bud shots of the flower from the last grow. Definitely was not very good with the quick dry, salt based nutrients and poor plant health but I've been smoking the strains for the last couple months and although flavor isn't that good, the high is great. I will post more about the strains in detail later when I'm not as tired.

Other than that, having 2 tents going in my small bedroom, which also hosts my bed and a small home recording/mixing studio, I missed having a nice bedroom to enjoy and wind down in. After a lot of careful though I did 2 things that I really wasn't expecting to do, but knew it was time....

1st... I got rid of my 2nd grow tent. It was the original tent that I bought off craigslist when I first joined 420 magazine back in like 2012 and learned to grow, so it served me well over the 12 years span. The zipper was busted in many places where it only would partially open, the tent had holes and rips in it, and it was time to say goodby to it so I threw it away. I still have 1 grow tent which will be fine for my needs and I do have a brand new one in storage that I only used about 2x in the past if I ever need a place to veg plants I could always pull it out of storage. I just felt that having 2 tents with so little room in my apartment I needed to make this change for the quality of my current life.

2nd... after much much deliberation... I got rid of ALL of my mother strains... yes.. all of them... it was probably one of the hardest decisions I've had to make, but it was time. black cherry soda, trainwreck, harlequin and ogiesel were proabably each 10 years old or more since I got them, and they have served me well for a decade, including making hundreds of hybrid crosses with them... so it was time to move on. The kicker was, these were such legendary strains, I really wanted to reach out to local growers and shops to give clones away before the decision, but with all that was going on with my bathroom at the time, I had to say goodby.

Now the good news.... I have decided I've made enough seeds to probably grow strains for 400 years or more... lol... I have an entire refrigerator veggie drawer full of seeds, so full I can't even really close it or open it its jammed shut. Therefore, its time that I try out some of my creations...... I'm just going to run full cycle in a single tent, probably with minimal veg time just to start seeing what strains I like. I think I deserve to taste my own flavors for once :) lol. I mean I have with like 2 different, but its time now to really see what I created.

I will probably start a new journal in the coming days/weeks with the new "Muddy Genes Beans" creations. I already have a few seedlings that have popped up, and more underway in soil and water. I haven't decided whether I will stay with the 2 gallon pots, or bump it up to 6 gallons, and how many plants I will do, but that will decide itself in the coming week or 2.

Well I hope all are well and I just wanted to pop in and say hello!

Time to rest my tired eyes for work tomorrow!

Best regards!

Times must change! :slide:

I'm in the process of scaling back a bit, myself. I'm going to keep running my four keepers in small pots so I get a steady supply of fresh, and just run one or two (or four :laughtwo:) other strains for exploration.

Eager to see what you choose. :thumb:

Hey Everyone!

I will be closing out this journal as my current breeding/pollen chucking projects have come to an end. I very much appreciate everyone's views, comments, engagements and interactions over the years who have helped make my journal enjoyable!

Please join me in my new journal where I start the exploration of these strains and flower them out :)

Icemud's aka Muddy Genes Beans test grows: My breeding project seed trial... #1

Back
Top Bottom