Icemud's Breeding Projects And Motherchucking Pollination Extravaganza

Quick update on the Orange Fruity Pebbles OG project.

Day 42 flowering (from the flip).

Well so far I have been doing my best to stay on track and the plants seem to be doing ok. The 2 phenotypes of OFPOG are starting to get more girth as well as the buds seem to be getting slightly more frosty. Right now the frost factor is about average across the board, as the OFPOG aren't the frostiest strains in my tent, but are probably in the top 40% in terms of trichomes.

Pheno 3 still has a very strong piney/lemon smell almost identical to my trainwreck (which is interesting as FPOG) has trainwreck in it...and the strength of the terps on this pheno are strong probably 8 out of 10 in strength. It also has a more "greasy feel" or stickyness factor which I like :)

Pheno 5 is filling out nicely and starting to get girthy as well. The terpenes on this are very hard to smell, and it takes a very hard rub on the nugs to even get any smell at all. The terps smell like a sharp baby poo smell, mixed with a orange and chemical cleaner smell, not exactly repulsive anymore but very pungent. The strength of the terps though is weak, and right now I would say only a 4-5 out of 10 for terp strength factor. Trichomes are forming decently but nothing abnormal.

I still haven't decided which pheno I will take into my chocolate thai project. I like pheno 5 for its strenght, bud formation and structure, but its weak in terps, and trichomes. Pheno 3 I love the frostiness and terps strenght, but its weaker in formation and structure and more flimsy... Hard toss up but overall i'm a terp and trichome guy so right now pheno 3 is winning my heart, even though 5 has much better structure.

The cannarado birthday cake s1 is very impressive and I can honestly say it rivals my frostiest strains in my tent, is developing very dense, wide buds with a ton of trichomes. The terps are semi strong, probably a 6-7 out of 10 in strength and it has a sweet kushy slight berry dough smell.

Also very impressed with my cross of Black Cherry Soda (reversed) x Black Diamond OG which is extremely frosty as well, very dense and smells very strong of terps, probably a 8 of 10 in strength and smells like cherry robatussin with a skunk undertone. Very delicious smelling.

Orange FPOG Group photos:
(to the right of the bamboo is pheno 3, left/back of the bamboo poles is pheno 5)

Chocolate Thai Open Pollen Project:
(approx 1 month from germination).

Germination:
Well this project got off to a very interesting start. Out of all the seeds I popped, these gave me the hardest time to germinate. Originally I popped 6 seeds, which 4 cracked and were placed into soil. Since this strain is supposedly about a 4:1 ratio, (F to M) I wanted to make sure I got at least 1 male, and more than that would be much better (more males = the more variety in the progeny). I ended up popping 2 more seeds into water, but only 1 of them cracked and went into soil (pheno 5). I then popped 2 more seeds, hoping at least 1 would crack, and both of these cracked, (pheno 6 and 7).
Therefore out of 10 seeds 7 germinated, which overall is still 70%, but not as good as my usual which generally above 90%.

I still have I think 3 or 4 original seeds, and I am really tempted to pop them as well for more variety since this project is so special and the genetics are very hard to get..but I'm out of room which means I would have to kill of some of my other genetics.. and I'm just not sure I want to do that... since each of my "mother strains" is so special and I have kept forever.

So these seeds were planted between August 21st and about Aug 30th, so the phenotypes vary in age slightly, the oldest being about 1 month old as of today.

My accident: so about 2 weeks into veg, I decided to give my other girls in the tent a preventative fungicide foliar spray (SNS) as I normally do once the plants are in early veg. At this point, some of the Chocolate Thai's were fairly large and really growing fast, i also gave them a light foliar spray with the fungicide... BIG MISTAKE!!!! well the next day when I went into my tent, my heart just about sank through my feet... The Chocolate Thais (the ones I sprayed) were burned very badly. I was so saddened because of the rarity of these beans... Immediatly I took a spray bottle of plain r/o water and soaked the girls trying to wash of any remaing spray residue, but the damage had already been done... So bummed. So over the course of the next week I watched them, and removed all of the dead leaves that were beyond recovery... luckilly 6 of the 7 have bounced back as of today and really showing signs of new healthy growth, which makes me extremely happy... I was really down, and embarrased by my mistake (part of the reason I havent updated on this project in a while) My heart really sank but its ok now... The other pheno 3, which at the time was my largest and most vigorous plant, is now a topped stem, with 2 leaf blades and has not recovered yet. I'm not really sure what to do besides let nature take its course, and maybe get ready to pop some more seeds just in case. Overall 6 healthy one should give me at least 1 male, but I really want to make sure... so we will see.

Additional Observations during veg:
Well as of today, all 6 of the 7 are very healthy and growing fast now. there definitely is 2 height differences between the phenotypes, where 3 are very normal growing and tall, and 3 are extremely bushy, small and short. Another very odd, but cool trait is that the stems on these Chocolate Thai's are silky smooth, like they are covered in velvet, or silk. Not sticky or rigid or rough like normal but literally silky smooth like a soft silk wax is on them. Very cool! 2 of the larger phenotypes have a nice coffee/chocolate cardboard type terp smell on a stem rub, the others are still to small to risk rubbing them.

Well Here are the specifics of each phenotype:

Pheno 1:
This phenotype is the runt of the bunch, and has taken forever to even grow the first few sets of leaves. This pheno is definitely dwarfed whether genetically or viroid or other issue, it definitely has struggled even before the spray incident. It finally has started to show new growth and is getting larger.

Pheno 2: This pheno is also one of the “runts” and much smaller than the others. This one was effected by my foliar fungicide and I had to remove some of its original fan leaves, and topped it, so it is now finally showing some new growth and recovery.

Pheno 3: This phenotype as described above WAS my largest plant, however the foliar fungicide completely killed 95% of the leaves on this plant, and I had to top it and remove all the dead foliage. This left with only 2 partial leaves and zero nodes that were healthy. I am unsure whether or not this plant will survive on sept 23

Pheno 4: This phenotype is one of the tallest as of sept 23, and one of the original 4 seeds that germinated. It was slightly effected by my foliar spray so not much damage happened. This phenotype has some leaf mutations/irregularities but as it ages it is showing normal growth. This pheno has a nice coffee/chocolate smell on a stem rub. This pheno definitely is taller and longer internodes than the others. This pheno also has much “tighter” leaf serrations than the others.

Pheno 5: This phenotype started off with some very odd mutated/irregular growth where some of the fan leaves had deformities and were splitting. As it aged, it started to normalize and all new growth looks fine. This pheno was hardly effected by the foliar spray as it was very young and I didn’t spray it directly. This phenotype is also more short/squatted than the taller ones.

Pheno 6: This phenotype is one of the taller phenotypes, and was hardly effected by the foliar spray. This phenotype has very large jagged serrations, similar to the other phenos, but much more pronounced. The leaves also have a slightly different look to them but all phenos show some variation. This pheno on a stem rub also has a chocolate/coffee/cardboard type smell.

Pheno 7: This pheno is one of the youngest but has really taken off and is one of the larger ones in the group. The internode distance is fairly good and its probably the tallest plant right

Sorry to read about the SNS SNAFU with the Chocolate Thais, Brother, but they do look like they're making a good recovery (except for #3, of course). :sorry:

Good save! :high-five:

Thanks Mr Krip... yea they definitly are bouncing back quickly which is a huge relief!

Looks like you dodged the bullet, really looking forward to watching the Thai flower.
Yea, literally my heart dropped and I felt sick to my stomach.. lol. I'm so happy they are recovering. Such a cool looking strain already. I love the leaf shapes.

UPDATE on one of my creations...

So a few projects ago I used Hazeman's Sour Grapes and crossed it with a bunch of my strains.... One of these....

Gorilla Glue x Sour Grapes has now been officially named......

Enter the new strain.... "Monkey Merlot"

A very good friend of mine has volunteered to grow her in an outdoor greenhouse, and lets just say.... taking 2 of my frostiest strains and breeding them... yields an extremely frosty result :) He also was the one who came up with the name Monkey Merlot, after a long brainstorming and video games session and the name was the best of about 20 different names we came up with :)

Monkey Merlot is a cross of Hazemans Sour Grapes and a Gorilla Glue clone I have had for about 4 years. Monkey Merlot is extremely frosty, and has a good combination of Gas/Fuel terps with Grape Terps. Monkey Merlot is definitely an indoor plant though, as we found out it was not great for the rainy humid Pacific Northwest weather and was more susceptable to mold than others he grew.. But also was the frostiest and nicest looking in his garden!

Either way.. I have definitely been considering incorporating this into upcomming projects, or may even decide to do a F2 crossing and selection.. time will tell, but Monkey Merlot is official!

Also a huge thank you to my buddy for taking the risk of running untested genetics and doing an amazing job!

There should be more strains named after wines. I get a lot of that taste in purples - like a robust port wine.

:bongrip:

There should be more strains named after wines. I get a lot of that taste in purples - like a robust port wine.

:bongrip:
I agree! We wanted to keep reference to the parent strains and since sour grapes aka wine...we thought it was a perfect combo of creativity, attention getting and rolled off the tongue easy.

I agree, ive had some wine Terps too in strains :) I love the terps and differences within each plant... Very simipar to appreciation of good wine :)

Nice monkey merlot and very interesting chocolate thais. I can’t wait to see how they shape up. Hopefully when you make seeds for the next generation, you won’t have to deal with spotty germination and slow plants etc...
It can be frustrating trying to work with old seeds that are slow to grow or throw out weird leaves.

Yeah, "Monkey Merlot" is perfect considering "Grape Ape" was already taken! :D
Yea it made it hard to find names with "grape ape" since we didn't want to confuse people by using "ape"... My personal favorite name was "ooo ooo ahh ahh" because I though it would be hillarious having people order from dispensaries saying give me that "ooo ooo ahh ahh" but we decided monkeymerlot was more appealing.. LOL

Nice monkey merlot and very interesting chocolate thais. I can’t wait to see how they shape up. Hopefully when you make seeds for the next generation, you won’t have to deal with spotty germination and slow plants etc...
It can be frustrating trying to work with old seeds that are slow to grow or throw out weird leaves.
I definitely agree! Much easier to select good females and then label the seeds from them for future use :) I make sure to take really good phenotype notes so that years later when I have forgotten the details, I can look back and know which selections to use :) definitely had trouble getting the chocolate thai to sprout.... but happy I have 6 nice healthy ones. I popped 1 more seed into water last night to see if it cracks and if it does I will replace the stunted one which isn't really moving at all.

Back
Top Bottom