Icemud's Breeding Projects And Motherchucking Pollination Extravaganza

Hey Everyone!!!!

So if you have followed my journals over the years, you may recall the video in which I tested out some "Far Red" LED grow lights (or better said enhancers) about 2 years ago... I just came across this video, by Apogee, the company who makes PAR meters, and featuring Dr. Bugbee who is one of the leading plant lighting researchers in the world and very highly respected. Anyhow, in this video he talks about how Far Red light affects plants and the video is very well put together to explain the topic. If you followed my Far Red journal from 2 years ago, then none of this information will be new as I covered it in my journal, however its good to see that everything I shared about Far Red light is being confirmed by Dr. Bugbee. Anyhow its a great video, and he has others as well that are very much worth the watch! Enjoy!

Although these videos are put out by Apogee and on their utube channel, I am not promoting their products by posting these. I do own an Apogee PAR meter which is an excellent tool if you are really into plant lighting, but not necessary for growing either... Anyhow these videos are being posted because they are excellent information, but not for any other reason.

Here is his video about Far Red light

Here is a video which talks about how plants use light photons:

Here he talks about spectrum and effects on plants (including cannabis)

In this video he talks lighting terms.. what is PPFD, PAR, PFD..etc...

Well everyone!!! The day has come!!!! The Bangi Haze project had to come down. On Monday evening I chopped all of the plants down and hung them up to dry. This was flowering day 74 from the flip.

I gave the bangi haze some extra time to flower, as 2 of the 3 phenotypes did not want to stop pushing out white pistils and kept wanting to flower. I pulled off a mature seed pod and opened it up to see if it was mature with tiger stripes and it was, which I was happy with, so made the decision to yank them down and prepare for the upcomming Apollo 13 project.

Here is my personal Breeding Journal on the Bangi Haze project. Generally after the plants are dry and all seeds are harvest I write final notes, so I will do that in about a week or 2 when all has been dried and harvested.

Bangi Haze F9 Breeding Open pollen project:
⦁ Seeds Germinated 7 out of 8 cracked, and were placed in soil.
⦁ Seeds germinated April 17th
⦁ Vegged until August 25th
⦁ First day of flowering Auguest 26th
⦁ Harvest date November 6 2019.

Seed Source: The Bangi haze F9 seeds I received from (a well known breeder) as they were part of his private seed collection. The breeder I received the seeds from did not breed these seeds and they originally came from Dragon Flame Genetics who produced the F9. Prior to Dragon Flame Genetics, bangi haze originated from Ace Seeds.

GENETICS: Congo x Nepalese. Stabilized hybrid.

Bangi Haze is one the fastest sativa hybrid from our collection. Its name comes from the Nepalese incense aroma that will seduce you immediately and its energetic high from the Congolese sativa. It is a compact sativa that produces dense flowers full of generous trichomes. Bangi Haze was bred and improved for indoor growing. Good adaptation to outdoor cold climates.

STRUCTURE: Compact and columnar sativa, easy to work with it.
BOUQUET: A seductive honey and liquor aroma.
POTENCY: Strong and energetic sativa effect that raises you and maintains you active.
FLOWERING: 9-10 weeks. End September/ Early October.
PRODUCTION / M2: Middle-high
GROW TYPE: Indoor/outdoor. All climates.

VEG:

⦁ 7 of 8 seeds cracked and were placed in soil. within 10 days all 7 seedlings emerged from soil.
⦁ 6 of the 7 plants grew very similar in height, leaf formation, structure and all traits were very uniform, except for 1 phenotype (which turned out to be a male) which had broader leaves and a shorter squatted type structure.
⦁ All 7 plants grew exceptionally well, very little nutrient related or feeding issues, very little discoloration and overall very easy to grow plants.

Flowering:

⦁ Out of 7 plants, 4 were male and only 3 were female.
⦁ All 4 males were used in an open pollenation fashion to allow for variety in the progency/offspring F10s.
⦁ All females grew very similar in height structure, ease of growing and all other traits.
⦁ 3 of the 4 males looked almost identical, but 1 of the males had a shorter structure, different shaped leaves and broader leaf blades.
⦁ All females went 74 days from the flip, but probably could continue to flower for longer. Only pheno #2 really showed swollen calyxes and looked "done" at day 74.
⦁ All females were allowed to grow 2 main colas/main appical meristems.
⦁ All 3 females had very leafy buds, definitely NOT a trimmers dream and will require a lot of manicuring/trimming. Phenotype 2 had the least leaves on the buds but still a lot.

Phenotype #1:

This phenotype has the most aiy buds and really looks like a true sativa dom in terms of bud structure. The terpene profile of this phenotype is very hard to describe and very weak. In terms of strenth of terpenes, I would rate this a 3 out of 10 where you really have to rub a bud and then smell your fingers quickly to get any fragarance at all. The terpene profile is extremely hard to describe but smells similar to sweet "roots" or like a carrot but with a sweet spicy exotic incense type smell. The bud girth on this phenotype was the thinnest/smallest and yeild seemed to be the smallest of the 3 females, but not by a lot. The plant height, structure and branching was similar to the other 2 phenotypes. This phenotype probably could have been flowererd for another week or 2 as it was the only pheno that was still pushing out white pistils at 74 days. Trichome develpment is very little on this pheno. Definitely not a choice or select pheno, but does represent more of a "landrace" type look in terms of needs to be worked more for better yield, bud structure, trichomes..etc. Still a very good plant to grow with ease.

Phenotype # 2
This female produced the largest cola's/buds by a long margin and also had the strongest terpene profile out of all 3 female phenotypes. The terpene profile on this smells like sweet bananas with a sweet honey and incense type smell but mostly smells like sweet bananas and very appealing smelling. None of the 3 females produce vast amounts of trichomes, however the bud density, formation/structure and most trichomes seem to be on Phenotype #2. This would be the choice selected phenotype for an F10 and/or future breeding projects due to the amazing terpene smell, excellent bud formation and yield and ease of growing. In terms of strenght of terpenes, with 10 being the highest.. I would rate his pheno as a 6 out of 10, and the strongest of the 3 female bangi Hazes. The height of this pheno is about the same as the other 2 females. None really varied in height, branching, structure and all 3 females were allowed to have 2 main colas.

Phenotype #4
Phenotype 4 is the middle of the road phenotype and is a sort of blend of the other 2. The yield on this pheno was in the middle between pheno 2 and pheno1. The bud structure is much more dense than phenotype 1, but not nearly as dense or as large as phenotype 2. The terpene strength on this pheno is about the same strenth as pheno 2 and I would rate it a 6 out of 10. The terpene profile is vastly different from the other phenos. This phenotype has a very strong lemon/pine smell with a very exotic sweet mens collogne (brute 33) type smell to it. Very interesting smell that I can't say I have ever smelled before, and very exotic. This phenotype was very similar in size to the other 2 females. I would say that its very close to a select phenotype that anyone who used the F10 seeds of pheno #4 would be pleased with the results and I would say it comes in very close 2nd place as a choice pheno. The main difference between this pheno and pheno 2 is that the yield seems to be slightly less, but not by much at all, and the terpenes are different, but similar in strength.

Here are some photos of the full harvest:

Here are photos of the Bangi Haze

Here is a random photo of my Gorilla Glue with Bangi Haze seeds in it

That banana pheno sounds good, hoping you like effects.

Thanks Pennywise! Yea I don't know if I will really be able to sample it, depends on how many seeds and how mature they are... but if there is a chance to, I definitely will :) Its an unreal smell, never have I smelled a banana terp in cannabis so strong. I'm really curious about the high too.

Hey Everyone....

Just a quick update with the Apollo 13 F4 project. While I await the Bangi haze to dry and to be fully harvested for seeds, I have been just letting the Apollo 13's grow and grow.

I have already culled 1 of the Apollo 13 males as it grew pollen sacks and spread pollen about a month ago under 18/6 lighting which was really odd, so I yanked it and destroyed it.

Well over the course of the past month, 2 more males have made themselves known and are showing pollen sacks. I even bumped my lighting back up to 24/0 to see if that would prevent it but it didn't so I have been just "topping" the males everytime I see sacks until my other tent is ready for the Apollo project to move over. I didn't want to destroy these males since they may be the only 2 that are left out of the Apollos. If I end up getting another male when I flip them to 12/12 then I will destroy the 2 males that are currently showing balls, however, if I only have these 2 males, then I will use both of them to preserve the line.

I've read into this a little and it seems actually much more common than I thought and I guess its just nature's way of making sure that it reproduces. Kind of odd but hey, its what makes cannabis growing fun is all the unexpected challenges.

So The buddy of mine who has been test running my seeds, had send me 3 seeds of Jesus OG that he absolutely loves, and I have had them for about 2 years. He told me that he really wants me to run them in the next seed project and so I popped 1 of them about a month ago in water. Unfortunately , nothing came of the seed, and it never cracked, even with some coaxing with a knife and forcefully splitting the seed. (hence the empty pot of soil you will see in the photos).

I've never used GA (Gibberallic Acid) however it seems to be the go-to for getting old seeds to germinate so I picked some up on that online market named after a great river (Amizon) for pretty cheap.

I read that 500 to 1000ppm in most scientific abstracts had the greatest efficacy, so I mixed up 100ml of distilled water, and then added 0.1g of Gibberallic acid. This I believe would make 1000ppm mixture. (its been over 20 years from my last chemistry class) lol.

Anyhow I dropped 1 of the Jesus OG seeds in the water tonight and we will see how it works.

I also read that using green and red lasers can help increase germ rate on some seeds, so I ended up picking up a 3 pack of lasers (blue, red and green) and will give it a try after some further research. (plus, who doesn't like to play with colored lasers) :)

Well, that is all for now. The bangi haze is nearly dry so over the next 2 weeks I will be de-seeding the plants and probably in a week will take clones of all my vegging plants in prep for the next project.

For the project following the Apollo 13, I wanted to pick something that was either OG kush dom, or something that would pair well with the Jesus OG. Since I have some GDP x OG kush aka God's Gift, I thought... wow.. that is absolutely the best pair with Jesus OG and I already have a name for the cross "holy spirit" :)

So the next project will be my Gods Gift Seeds from Hazeman (coming soon to a journal near you).

Gibberellic Acid

Full Tent:

Apollo 13s

Male Apollo 13 showing balls in veg

Broadleaf apollo (completely different from the rest)

Hope you get that 1 male Apollo, the Gibberellic acid will be interesting. That broadleaf Apollo could be a nice plant.

Thanks Pennywise. Yea the only Apollo which isn't showing sex yet is the broad leaf one, which would be awesome if it was a male. I guess worse case scenereo I use the 2 males that are showing pollen sacks and end up with some fast flowering females in the offspring? lol... not sure if that works that way, but nice to dream :)

Yea I read really good things about using Gibberelic acid for increased germ rates, so fingers are crossed. I guess it can also be used for other things as a foliar spray, but thats where I draw the line for my use.. just for seed germ for me :)

I really like the looks of the broadleaf apollo. Definitely has a indica dom type growth pattern, as its about 1/2 as fast in veg as the other phenotypes. I've topped the other pheno's I think 3 times, and the broadleaf only 1x.

Almost time to move them over and flower them :) a couple more weeks and we are ready :) so excited!

Hey Everyone!!! I hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving Holiday and are getting ready for Christmas and the New Year!!! I know I am ready for the holidays for sure!!!!

Sorry this update took so long but it took me forever to get all of the plants dried and deseeded but here we are.....

The final Bangi Haze F9 breeding project report!!!!

I guess the best way to get started is to summarize the product and then I will post my personal breeding notes, along with photos of the final seed yield.

Summary:
The bangi Haze F9's came from a well known breeders private collection, however after doing some research I found out that Bangi Haze originally came from Ace Seeds. Ace seeds bred it to F7. Another breeder, Dragon Flame Genetics then took the F7 and selected it and bred it to F9. This is what I received was F9's.

Overall the bangi haze was a very easy to grow plant with very little stress, very little deficiency issues or really any problems. The Seeds were Popped into soil on April 16th, 2019 and Day 1 of flowering (flip to 12/12) was on August 26th so roughly they were given about 4 months total veg time from seed. I flowered the Bangi Haze for 74 days from teh flip, however 1 of the phenos wanted to keep pushing out white pistils and probably could have went longer. Most of the wait for flowering was due to my other seed project finishing up so I had to delay vegging on the bangi haze, and I believe through the course of veg I topped the Bangi haze at least 2x but it may have been 3.

Overall the structure of the bangi haze was really nice, great bud stacking, good solid strong stems, and not too dense of foliage with decently long internodes so it would probably make for and excellent plant in areas with higher humidity and mold as it would allow for good airflow in the foliage. Supposedly Bangi is bred for being mold resistant.

I tried smoking a tiny bowl of the bangi haze but it was rather unpleasant due to the many tiny seed parts that were in the trim. I tried my best to remove them but still inhaled what tasted kind of like burned seeds which anyone who smoked 90s and 80s mexi brick would remember... The flavor that I did get was very lemon/grapefruit citrus mixed with exotic incense/spices. The high was actually very clear, uplifting and instantly I had a huge smile and felt extremly good and happy. I wish I would have been able to smoke more of it but there was just too many little seeds.

Each of the 3 Bangi Phenos had very very similar growth traits, heights, leaves, structure and bud development, however the terpene profile for all 3 females was quite different from each other. One of the phenos smelled like a very distinct blend of pine and beef stew (yes, beef stew... I smelled it like 10x just to make sure that I was smelling beef stew and it smelled exactly like the beef stew my mother used to make... very odd to say the least for a weed strain. The 2nd pheno smelled like a mixture of banana and grapefruit citrus with some lemon, and the 3rd phenotype smelled like Pine/mens collogne and exotic spices or incense. (reminded me of the brute 33 aftershave from back in the day).

The buds themselves were extremely leafy dispite being fairly dense, but instead of a single big bud with lots of calyx's, it was more similar to most sativas where a bud is made up of a lot of tiny little buds combined into a larger bud, so definitely this would not be a trimmers favorite by any means. Trichome development was not the best and subpar compared to a lot of "modern" strains, however since this is a F9, generally a imbred line like this loses trichome development over the stages of imbreeding which is fairly common. I am expecting though in some of the hybrid crosses to see some hybrid vigor, which I think may bring some very special things :)

Overall for a F9 landrace majority strain, its definitely a nice representation of landrace genetics, worked to be a decent commercially available plant that would compete. For a 100% sativa, a 74 day flowering cycle is fairly quick where one could probably run this outdoors as well as indoors.

Unfortunately my GDP and my Ogiesel did not make this breeding project. My GDP was an old mother that was in poor health when I put it into flowering and about mid cycle died. I wasn't able to get a Ogiesel vegged large enough in time for the project so unfortunately it got left out as well. I did however breed the bangi haze with: mendo grape kush, harlequin, gorilla glue, skywalker OG, private researve og, trainwreck, and black cherry soda.

Well here are my breeding notes that I will use for future reference:
Bangi Haze F9 Breeding Open pollen project:
⦁ Seeds Germinated 7 out of 8 cracked, and were placed in soil.
⦁ Seeds germinated April 17th
⦁ Vegged until August 25th
⦁ First day of flowering Auguest 26th
⦁ Harvest date November 6 2019.

Seed Source: The Bangi haze F9 seeds I recieved from a well known breeder as they were part of his private seed collection. Hazeman did not breed these seeds and they originally came from Dragon Flame Genetics who produced the F9. Prior to Dragon Flame Genetics, but originated from Ace Seeds.

GENETICS: Congo x Nepalese. Stabilized hybrid.

Bangi Haze is one the fastest sativa hybrid from our collection. Its name comes from the Nepalese incense aroma that will seduce you immediately and its energetic high from the Congolese sativa. It is a compact sativa that produces dense flowers full of generous trichomes. Bangi Haze was bred and improved for indoor growing. Good adaptation to outdoor cold climates.

STRUCTURE: Compact and columnar sativa, easy to work with it.
BOUQUET: A seductive honey and liquor aroma.
POTENCY: Strong and energetic sativa effect that raises you and maintains you active.
FLOWERING: 9-10 weeks. End September/ Early October.
PRODUCTION / M2: Middle-high
GROW TYPE: Indoor/outdoor. All climates.

VEG:
⦁ 7 of 8 seeds cracked and were placed in soil. within 10 days all 7 seedlings emerged from soil.
⦁ 6 of the 7 plants grew very similar in height, leaf formation, structure and all traits were very uniform, except for 1 phenotype (which turned out to be a male) which had broader leaves and a shorter squatted type structure.
⦁ All 7 plants grew exceptionally well, very little nutrient related or feeding issues, very little discoloration and overall very easy to grow plants.

Flowering:
⦁ Out of 7 plants, 4 were male and only 3 were female.
⦁ All 4 males were used in an open pollenation fashion to allow for variety in the progency/offspring F10s.
⦁ All females grew very similar in height structure, ease of growing and all other traits.
⦁ 3 of the 4 males looked almost identical, but 1 of the males had a shorter structure, different shaped leaves and broader leaf blades.
⦁ All females went 74 days from the flip, but probably could continue to flower for longer. Only pheno #2 really showed swollen calyxes and looked "done" at day 74.
⦁ All females were allowed to grow 2 main colas/main appical meristems.
⦁ All 3 females had very leafy buds, definitely NOT a trimmers dream and will require a lot of manicuring/trimming. Phenotype 2 had the least leaves on the buds but still a lot.

Phenotype #1:
This phenotype has the most aiy buds and really looks like a true sativa dom in terms of bud structure. The terpene profile of this phenotype is very hard to describe and very weak. In terms of strenth of terpenes, I would rate this a 3 out of 10 where you really have to rub a bud and then smell your fingers quickly to get any fragarance at all. The terpene profile is extremely hard to describe but smells similar to sweet "roots" or like a carrot but with a sweet spicy exotic incense type smell. The bud girth on this phenotype was the thinnest/smallest and yeild seemed to be the smallest of the 3 females, but not by a lot. The plant height, structure and branching was similar to the other 2 phenotypes. This phenotype probably could have been flowererd for another week or 2 as it was the only pheno that was still pushing out white pistils at 74 days. Trichome develpment is very little on this pheno. Definitely not a choice or select pheno, but does represent more of a "landrace" type look in terms of needs to be worked more for better yield, bud structure, trichomes..etc. Still a very good plant to grow with ease.

After Harvest Report: Phenotype 1 has very airy buds and although the cola's stacked nicely, a lot of the "weight" was either larf to be trimmed off, or the seeds themselves. The strength of the terpenes after drying is very light, where while breaking up the buds I can not even smell the terps, unless I smell my fingers or the broken up biomass closely to my nose. I would say probably a 2 or 3 out of 10 in terms of strength of terpenes. The Terpene smell itself is quite interesting, and it has a 50/50 blend of pine and beef stew, yes beef stew. Its very odd because instead of blending together, there are 2 very distinct smells the pine, and the beef stew. Not a bad smell and very different from anything I have smelled before. Trichome production on this pheno is very little, and even after breaking up a lot of bud with my fingers, I hardly have any resin on my fingers. Overall this strain may be really nice if bred for its structure, bud size and stacking (improving another strains structure) but for the other traits such as terpenes, trichomes and overall yield the strain disappoints in these areas.

Phenotype # 2
This female produced the largest cola's/buds by a long margin and also had the strongest terpene profile out of all 3 female phenotypes. The terpene profile on this smells like sweet bananas with a sweet honey and incense type smell but mostly smells like sweet bananas and very appealing smelling. None of the 3 females produce vast amounts of trichomes, however the bud density, formation/structure and most trichomes seem to be on Phenotype #2. This would be the choice selected phenotype for an F10 and/or future breeding projects due to the amazing terpene smell, excellent bud formation and yield and ease of growing. In terms of strenght of terpenes, with 10 being the highest.. I would rate his pheno as a 6 out of 10, and the strongest of the 3 female bangi Hazes. The height of this pheno is about the same as the other 2 females. None really varied in height, branching, structure and all 3 females were allowed to have 2 main colas.

After Harvest Report: This phenotype had fairly dense buds, and was inbetween the airy pheno1 and the dense pheno4. In terms of girth, bud structure and height it was almost identical to phentype #4. The trichome formation was about equal to phenotype #4, however my fingers seemed to be slightly stickier after deseeding #2 than after #4 but I think all in all they were about equal in trichome production. The terpene profile of #2 was slightly different than that of #4, and the terpenes of #2 seemed to lean towards a bananna/citrus smell but actually seemed slightly less strong than phenotype #4. Pheno 4 seemed to have an edge when it came to terpene potency, however the exotic "bananna" smell to pheno #2 was really interesting and it had a complexity to it I cant describe. Overall in terms of terpene strength I would say that #2 was a 5-6 out of 10 in terms of strength. Since pheno 4 and pheno 2 were so similar, I think that pheno 2 would be a good selection choice for future breeding, however the overall bud density and slightly increased terpenes in pheno 4 may give a slight edge, the exotic banana terpenes in #2 even the playing field out. Both pheno 2 and 4 were equally awesome and either would be a great selection.

Phenotype #4
Phenotype 4 is the middle of the road phenotype and is a sort of blend of the other 2. The yield on this pheno was in the middle between pheno 2 and pheno1. The bud structure is much more dense than phenotype 1, but not nearly as dense or as large as phenotype 2. The terpene strength on this pheno is about the same strenth as pheno 2 and I would rate it a 6 out of 10. The terpene profile is vastly different from the other phenos. This phenotype has a very strong lemon/pine smell with a very exotic sweet mens collogne (brute 33) type smell to it. Very interesting smell that I can't say I have ever smelled before, and very exotic. This phenotype was very similar in size to the other 2 females. I would say that its very close to a select phenotype that anyone who used the F10 seeds of pheno #4 would be pleased with the results and I would say it comes in very close 2nd place as a choice pheno. The main difference between this pheno and pheno 2 is that the yield seems to be slightly less, but not by much at all, and the terpenes are different, but similar in strength.

After Harvest Report:
While breaking up the buds and removing the seeds after drying, phenotype #4 really showed some strong terpenes, very pleasant smelling terpenes, and the buds had quite a bid of density to them. The terpene strength I would rate around a 6 out of 10, and the terpene profile smells very much of a mix between a ruby red grapefruit and sweet navel orange. Very citrus but complex and very pleasant smell. The structure and stacking of the cola/buds was very nice and the yeild was fairly decent for having 2 main colas. I definitely think this phenotype would be a good selection for future breeding projects. The seeds from Pheno 4 were slightly more mature than the seeds from pheno 1 which shows me that its slightly faster finishing, which also showed with pheno 4 having less white pistils at harvest. The yield of seeds form pheno 4 was slightly higher than pheno 1 as well. Overall this would be a great choice for breeding.

Well here are the photos now of the seed harvest, as well as a few photos of the dried Bangi Haze cola's.

Quick update on the Apollo 13 F4 project:

Now that my bangi haze project is done and the tent is available, I took clones of all of my "mother" plants which I continue to use in each project on Sunday, so I expect them to be rooted probably by Mid December and maybe some of the OG's which seem to take longer to root probably more towards Christmas. Since my GDP and Ogiesel are very slow growing indica dom plants I decided to make 2 copies when I started the apollo project, therefore I already have 2 of each in veg which are about 18" tall as of now.

This weekend I will be cleaning the entire tent which will be used for the Apollo 13 seed project but I will have to clean it exceptionally good as the bangi haze really produced a ton of pollen and it was everywhere. I will have to make sure that every single fan, surface, light etc has been wiped down with water to prevent any cross contamination of pollen. I will be doing this on Saturday, therefore on probably Sunday I will move all of the Apollo 13's as well as the vegged out mothers over to the new tent.

While cloning all of the "mothers" I also topped all of the Apollo 13's to keep their height even with the other plants and minimize their height. Since I will be going on a short vacation during Christmas for about a week, I probably will end up fliping the plants to flowering right before I leave, but this all depends on whether the clones all root and I am able to get them in the soil before I leave for the trip. (as a backup plan in case my pumps and drip system fails and I lose a plant). Some of the "mothers" I have now had alive for about 6 years and I would hate to lose them, so I always make sure I have good rooted clones in soil before the flip to 12/12, which delays the process, but ensures a back up plan in case a clone doesn't root.

The Apollo 13's are still producing tons of pollen and pollen sacks right now during veg, which I am not necessarily happy about, but also have found out from other growers that this is actually fairly common with some plants. None of the females are flowering which is a good sign, as originally I was thinking that there was "autoflower" ruderallis bred into them, but if that was the case, the females would also be flowering. Right now I have 2 females (forsure), 1 broad leaf shorter phenotype which is not showing any sex, and then 2 males which both are producing a ton of pollen sacks. I have been cutting off the pollen sacks every few weeks but occasionally 1 will spill pollen before I catch it, so I immediatly will spray down the entire canopy with water and a light foliar feeding to deactivate the pollen. (not ready for it yet).

Another oddity which I am unsure what it is, is the Apollo 13 plants have some sort of little white "sap?" on the stems of the plant. I looked close through my 30x lupe, and even then took some photos through my 30x lupe and zoomed to see if I can figure out what it is and I am clueless. They look to be some kind of either dried sap, or salt crystals or something, but what is odd is there are little "bruises" directly above the "salt crystal" almost like the plant somehow injured itself and then spit out sap to cure it... very odd. The little white spots don't move, don't have legs, are not bugs (spider mites, meeleybugs, or scales) and doesn't look like any fungus I have ever seen before... my best guess is its some kind of resin or sap. If anyone knows what this is, (see photos below), please let me know. Its ONLY on the Apollo's though so something tells me its genetic and not anything that would be a pest or disease or other...

Other than that the apollo's are excellent plants, very hardy, have been growing at unbelievable rates and I probably have topped them about 4x already (with the exception of the broad leaf short pheno, which is growing very slow). I didn't take any photos of the tent or apollos as they are pretty pruned and topped looking so I will wait until they veg out more and then will take a few photos. I did snag a shot of the broad leaf pheno, which I only topped 1 time early in veg. Its growing about about 1/4 speed as the others, so it definitely must be a recessive trait.

Well Here are 3 photos of the odd white dots...

Here is a photo of 2 of the Apollo 13 phenotypes. The broad leaf (wilty) one on the right side is the one that looks entirely different from the rest (it was low on water so I just fed it). The one on the left is one of the females which looks like all the rest with much wider spread between the leaf blades and much thinner.

Awesome work, Brother! :high-five:

I've always been of the mindset that, "He who dies with the most seeds wins" and I can see you're far ahead of the rest of the pack! :adore:

I'm not sure it's been mentioned, so need to ask...What are you doing with all those seeds you're making? Are you selling them on IG, or working with some breeders, or just building up your own line to start a seed company? :hmmmm:

I'm issuing a formal challenge for you to try to grow out 1% of the seeds I've seen you produce! :laugh:

I'll definitely be there after harvest to help you smoke it all! :passitleft:

(Notice how I said I'd show up AFTER harvest! I'm not up for helping with a trim project of that magnitude! :rofl: )

Awesome work, Brother! :high-five:

I've always been of the mindset that, "He who dies with the most seeds wins" and I can see you're far ahead of the rest of the pack! :adore:

I'm not sure it's been mentioned, so need to ask...What are you doing with all those seeds you're making? Are you selling them on IG, or working with some breeders, or just building up your own line to start a seed company? :hmmmm:

I'm issuing a formal challenge for you to try to grow out 1% of the seeds I've seen you produce! :laugh:

I'll definitely be there after harvest to help you smoke it all! :passitleft:

(Notice how I said I'd show up AFTER harvest! I'm not up for helping with a trim project of that magnitude! :rofl: )

Haha.. Yeah I am going to have to remember to write my collection into my will. Maybe I will do what that millionare did with his treasure chest and drop them somewhere high in the rocky mountains and give clues... LOL.

What am I doing with the seeds? well I could tell you but then Id have to... lol.. j/k. Forever I was just putting them in ziplock "dimebags" and then into postage envelopes to keep them sorted and in a rubbermaid container. After asking a bunch of well known breeders the best way to store them, they all pretty much said: Dry, cool, low oxygen and dark. So I purchased a vacuum sealer, mylar bags (supposed to last better than the plastic ones), oxygen absoring dessicants, and moisture absorbing dessicants.

I seal each hybrid in a 4x6 mylar bag with the vaccum sealer but make sure to add 1 single moisture absorber in each. Then I put all the 4x6 sealed mylar bags from each "run" or single breeding project into a large 10x10" mylar bag, drop 2-3 moisture absorbers and 2-3 oxygen absorbers into it, and then heat seal the bags. Right now I just keep them in my refridgerator, however I am looking for a little mini-fridge or similar where they can have their own dedicated "home" and temperature fluxuations will be minimal. Ideally I would like to freeze them as I read somewhere that refrigerating them will make them last about 10 years, but freezing actually could make them last 20+ years (if stored properly).

Therefore all of them are just stored for now. I do have a few very close friends that are also growers that I have given some of my crosses to as "testers" just to get feedback on how they grow, which strain features are dominant and to get a better idea of which crosses turn out the best. I haven't even grown any of my own "gear" yet, as I just have too many I want to preserve.

I figure that the 9 "mothers" that I have (well clones, of clones, of clones...etc) may only last so long. Some of them like my Ogiesel, Harlequin and Black Cherry soda I have kept alive for about 4-5 years now, and I am really pushing my luck. My "goal" is to cross them with as many of my seeds as I can before something happens (whether they die, plants infested, have to move, act of god..etc). I know I have at least 6 more crosses I want to do even though I have about 20 more packs of seeds I really would love to use as the strains to cross them with. But I may do a run of my own gear soon, just to see how it turns out... I'm also sick of smoking dispensary bud, as nothing from my projects is smokable because of the little seeds, so I just through it all into the garbage with old soil or give it to a friend who sometimes will sift it and make bubble hash or press rosin.

Overall if the opportunity could present itself.. my "dream" in this industry would be to have a legal, licensed breeding facility where I had about 30 rooms, all identical that I could have different breeding projects going, pheno hunt, have an onsite lab with HPLC equipment to run tests, and maybe even a staff geneticist who could run the DNA and isolate certain markers to select based on DNA sequence instead of having to run full cycles and manually select. That is the way the "corporate" industry is going anyways where DNA is being pulled, and instead of running 10,000 plants to find a desired breeding trait, they can use a holepunch or take a stem, pull the DNA and use it as a "roadmap" to find which clone offers that trait. Cuts time down significantly. Now obviously that would be a 5-10Million dollar operation or more but wouldn't it be cool to use DNA to have a direct map to which plants to breed to get the result you desire (naturally, no GMO!).

I had the opportunity at my current industry job to work alongside some very well known geneticists, plant horticulture professionals and other big AG people and learned a ton... Obviously that is a big goal and unlikely for me to be in because I don't know the in's and outs of VC funding... So really if somehow I could just manage a small licensed cultivation facility where I could do what I am doing now, but on a larger scale, and actually legally sell the seeds I would be in almost heaven.

I have thought about somehow licensing out some of my creations to licensed cultivators and being that I am in the legal industry I could easily do it, but the problem for me is how to get "legally paid" and not have to do it the black market way... I definitely have had a lot of people ask me to buy seeds over the years, but I just have too much good going on in my life to potentially jeopordize it by selling something illegally. (gosh I have become lame....LOL) 10 years ago I wouldn't have even had to think twice about selling them underground but now getting older and knowing what lawyers and court can do to someones life financially, I'd rather play on the clean side of things :)

Growing out 1%....hmm.... what 1% of... well.. nevermind.. LOL. That actually could be achievable but not in my current space as that would definitely require a staff and warehouse :)

Bangi Haze turned out well, try splitting the line and crossing the 2 back to one another to establish hybrid vigor again.

I have a feeling that my Bangi Haze F9 x Private Reserve OG will be an absolute monster for that reason. If you look up Private reserve OG on the phylos galaxy, it is one of the furthest out OG's with very little variation, in other words very stable. Therefore the progeny that I created should be a true F1 Hybrid and exhibit extreme hybrid vigor.... I'm really excited for that one specifically :) and also why I chose to keep Private Reserve in my Garden :)

Great idea.. I know with each Filal Generation that vigor gets slightly lost, so you are spot on :) I'm hoping that these hybrid crosses I made will be epic!

Back
Top Bottom