Icemud's Budmaster LED Grow Light Journal: Hybrid LED's & 730nm Far Red Triggering

Re: Icemud's Budmaster LED Grow Light Journal - Hybrid LED's & 730nm Far Red Triggeri

Nice looks on the far red icemud.
420-magazine-mobile1207322160.jpg

I like it alot. I started using it 4 days after i flipped so i cant compare it on the clones in ran last time too. But i believe it has been happening more over nights since i use it. Only 15min after lights out with passive cooling. :) this pic is from early feb... Happened alot since then.

Current Grow Nebula & Atomical Haze - Soil - 2'x3' Flower - 420W DIY COB - SCROG 45W DIY Veg Light

My journey seeking the light. Found some
SeymoreNugget's DIY talk - Building lights - Sharing ideas

Re: Icemud's Budmaster LED Grow Light Journal - Hybrid LED's & 730nm Far Red Triggeri

Looking good Ice.

I run IFr for some month now in my perpetual garden.
Most are clones I run for 2 years now and I see pilst and flowers 2 days earlier.
Bloom time is 5-7 days shorter on my 8-10 week strains so I don't have to give a week extra like most of the time.

Last run I had some new reg beans and I could see males after 5 days.
Had plenty of them all 6 Dynasty PHC went males :straightface:
And girls after 10 days witch is 2 days longer as my usual fems.

Great insight Darkgrow! I've heard that same thing from a few different growers, that it shortens the flowering time by about a week, some say slightly less. I've also had people tell me they saw an increase in yield, I'm kind of skeptical about that but we will see :)

I did notice that my plants showed flowers about 3-5 days quicker than I am used to seeing them, as just on day 8 a few plants were showing flower sets, when usually I don't see them until day 12 or so generally.

Icemud could you tell us what you would normally expect from the black cherry soda in this grow without the far red? What size would you expect the plant to get to and yield... and or flowering intro time and final finishing time or should I say days flowering. Thanks. Just curious to see how it compares to what's about to go down :D

Hey Sunworshiper :)

The Ogiesel is usually my plant I use since I have run it more times, but as far as yields I will have to wait until the end of this cycle. I then will go back to all my previous grows and gather the data for yield, and compare. I haven't run the black cherry soda as much as the ogiesel so I have better data on the ogiesel, and the ogiesel is more of a hardy plant, which doesn't branch out much like the BCS, and doesn't get as finicky as the BCS which is why I use it to compare.

Even though its far from an accurate comparision, it does give me a psudo idea of how the performance goes. In terms of yield I'm not as believing that far red will increase it, but what I am curious about is how it supposedly will help me flower in a shorter time, which is awesome if it works :)

Only time will tell with this but so far I already noticed that my flowers popped much quicker than past grows by at least 3-5 days :)

Nice looks on the far red icemud.
420-magazine-mobile1207322160.jpg

I like it alot. I started using it 4 days after i flipped so i cant compare it on the clones in ran last time too. But i believe it has been happening more over nights since i use it. Only 15min after lights out with passive cooling. :) this pic is from early feb... Happened alot since then.

Current Grow Nebula & Atomical Haze - Soil - 2'x3' Flower - 420W DIY COB - SCROG 45W DIY Veg Light

Are you noticing quicker flower sets too? Mine definitely seem to have sped up by a few days

I think since i had it in there things got faster, yes. The Atomical Haze is a really slow budder but with them in i've seen more development over the next nights then before. But only a side by side with clones could prove that. I think over a 9 or 10 week period you can save a week. Or if you are motivated to reprogram a digital timer every 2 or 3 weeks you could go for 22h days with the same results

Cool so ogiesel it is. I'm not really looking to see if it increases your yield but what it does do? Will it quicken flowering by a week but yield drops so it's a wash OR maybe you yield about the same and harvest a week faster(better yield). Does the plant stretch too much? I'm sure all stuff you'll go over in the end just kinda wanted to see how you were going to compare this to a grow without and what was the strain you judged by. Even if its a wash it is valuable to me. One less week to harvest on an 10 week strain is 10% less time for some thing to go wrong. As long as quality is not sacrificed it will be worth pursing in my future grows oneday maybe. Cheers

Cool so ogiesel it is. I'm not really looking to see if it increases your yield but what it does do? Will it quicken flowering by a week but yield drops so it's a wash OR maybe you yield about the same and harvest a week faster(better yield). Does the plant stretch too much? I'm sure all stuff you'll go over in the end just kinda wanted to see how you were going to compare this to a grow without and what was the strain you judged by. Even if its a wash it is valuable to me. One less week to harvest on an 10 week strain is 10% less time for some thing to go wrong. As long as quality is not sacrificed it will be worth pursing in my future grows oneday maybe. Cheers

I'm definitely excited to see how it does. As far as stretch I haven't noticed any abnormal stretch or anything out of the norm when using it only for 15 minutes a day after daylight hours end. I did use it on a previous grow for both flower triggering, as I am now but also for increasing the emerson effect. Well what I found out was adding the far red to the other lights during daylight hours it increased stretch big time, even in veg. I read into this and plants use far red light for sensing position in a canopy and for sensing proximity to other objects.

Since under the canopy of a forest, the 2 most abundant wavelengths of light are green and far red and infrared. Since red light and blue light get absorbed much easier by plants there is much less of these wavelengths below the canopy. So there is a very low ratio of Red light to far red light and there sometimes can be more far red light than red light, so the ratio would be under 1. Under normal midday sun the ratio of red light to far red light is 1.2. So what research shows is that when there is a high ratio of red to far red, like most LED grow lights were there may be 2x or 4x or even 8x as much red light as far red light, the plants will generally not stretch much (assuming optimal light is being given). But when you add far red light to this, the ratio of Red to Far red light decreases, therefore causing stretch.

What is actually happening is the low ratio is signalling a reaction in the plant called shade avoidance syndrome, and plants will stretch to get to where the ratio of far red to red is closer to 1 thus moving closer to brigher or heavier red/full spectrum light.

I'm excited to see how these far red budmaster LEDs will affect the plants in all ways :)

:rofl: ROFL! Frijoles con carne! 'Cause it damn sure ain't CHILI! :rofl:

Hahaha!

man, now I have a taste for some Frijoles!

Day 17 Flowering.....

So, things are going along nicely as we move further along into flowering. I apologize for the delay in updates, been battling a slight cold or illness thats been wearing me out lately and so I have been just doing what the body wants to do is rest.

The plants are doing great and seeming to really like these Budmaster HPS LED grow lights, and everyday have their leaves reaching high in the air to greet the artificial sun :) I noticed that all plants are starting to show slight trichome formation which is about normal right at this time of flowering and generally from day 17-23 is when I typically see the first signs of them forming so we are looking good so far, and seem to be right on schedule.

I looked back at a few other grows at this same period in flowering and everything seems to be about the exact same visually so it doesn't seem to really have any differences or changes yet in terms of far red vs none. Its still very early to see but good to note for if and when I ever look back to this journal.

I decided to cull the mystery plant that I had growing in the front. It was from a random bagseed and it was just so old, chopped and distorted from the get go, that it just wasn't on pace with the others, and was sort of getting taken over by the much taller plants. It also looked as if it was still deciding to flower or not which made me concerned of a possible hermi so I figured since I've already flowered that strain out before and it wasn't anything spectacular, I would just get rid of it to give room to my other plants and better space for air and light to penetrate the canopy.

Well yesterday I gave the girls a nice feeding of some bubbled earth juice tea, with some added enzymes and beneficials. I will be giving them just a worm tea next feeding to give them a slight break on nutrients and encourage a really healthy micro flora population.

Well not much else to report on right now, so here are a few pics :)

20170315_221114_HDR.jpg
20170315_221124_HDR.jpg
20170315_221133_HDR.jpg
20170315_221150.jpg
20170315_221158.jpg
20170315_221211.jpg
20170315_221224.jpg
20170315_221256.jpg
20170315_221309.jpg
20170315_221342.jpg

I'm definitely excited to see how it does. As far as stretch I haven't noticed any abnormal stretch or anything out of the norm when using it only for 15 minutes a day after daylight hours end. I did use it on a previous grow for both flower triggering, as I am now but also for increasing the emerson effect. Well what I found out was adding the far red to the other lights during daylight hours it increased stretch big time, even in veg. I read into this and plants use far red light for sensing position in a canopy and for sensing proximity to other objects.

Since under the canopy of a forest, the 2 most abundant wavelengths of light are green and far red and infrared. Since red light and blue light get absorbed much easier by plants there is much less of these wavelengths below the canopy. So there is a very low ratio of Red light to far red light and there sometimes can be more far red light than red light, so the ratio would be under 1. Under normal midday sun the ratio of red light to far red light is 1.2. So what research shows is that when there is a high ratio of red to far red, like most LED grow lights were there may be 2x or 4x or even 8x as much red light as far red light, the plants will generally not stretch much (assuming optimal light is being given). But when you add far red light to this, the ratio of Red to Far red light decreases, therefore causing stretch.

What is actually happening is the low ratio is signalling a reaction in the plant called shade avoidance syndrome, and plants will stretch to get to where the ratio of far red to red is closer to 1 thus moving closer to brigher or heavier red/full spectrum light.

I'm excited to see how these far red budmaster LEDs will affect the plants in all ways :)

That's great. Stoked to hear they are not stretching abnormally. My green reflector led light has 1 far red led. Probably like you say not enough ratio to make much stretch. I was worried about your grow as I often read people whinning about red stretch. I feel more comfort reading your journal and using it as a study than random users who we are not even sure they have a baseline to compare things to. You and the OG go back and that gives a good idea of the difference with and w out far red. Still kinda worried now as your saying it all about on normal scehdule. Gunna be fun seeing how it all plays out in the end. I dont think I'll use far red now in my outdoor grow as I'm blackboxing 12/12 so won't need the red to speed up harvest before frost. Still I appreciate your work and journal as if you do see good results I'll use the light in my indoor grow or 2nd outdoor grow of the year if I ever figure out how to make enough power to pull those off :D
Thanks again bro!

Going to get alittle crowded,, in a good way.. Girls are looking great.. Keepem Green

Quick update: Day 22 flowering from the flip.

Not a whole lot to update, just letting the girls do their thing and continue to flower. I fed the girls a earth juice tea yesterday and other than that just admired their beauty.

All the strains now are showing a lot of trichome formation which is about normal at this time, and the buds seem to be stacking nicely and getting larger by the day :)

I did notice that my trainwreck looks a little distraught with a k deficiency (its in the old soil) so I may have to pull it out this weekend and give it a good soil flush just to make sure things are in line in the soil and there isn't any salt build ups.

Well without much else to report on, here are the pics from last night.

20170321_230033.jpg
20170321_230049.jpg
20170321_230111.jpg
20170321_230122.jpg
20170321_230148.jpg
20170321_230220.jpg
20170321_230243_Burst01.jpg
20170321_230254.jpg

Day 30 is here :) of flowering that is!

Well guys and gals... so far I'm pretty happy how things are looking in the garden. I did make the mistake a few days back by rushing my feeding and not checking the ph, which lead to the plants kind of freaking out and having a N deficiency, but today gave them some plain r/o water, and will let them dry out completely and things should be fine in a few days.

I have to say I'm am extremely excited for the gorilla glue and trainwreck that are showing tons of trichomes this early in flowering! The racefuel og seems to be growing really slow like a lot of og's i've run in the past, and I'm a little worried it will be one of those long flowering ogs running past 80 days to fully finish. Don't mind but will be a inconvenience taking longer for other projects awaiting the harvest.

All of the plants seem to be doing right for this time in the cycle, although I did notice my ogiesel is looking a little more chunky than it seems to in past grows. I haven't really noticed any drastic change in using the Emerson 730 far red yet, as everything looks to be normal and nothing visually changing dramatically, but still time left to see how it influences the cycle.

well its late and i'm beat from a long stressful day...so here are some pics to enjoy!

20170329_234624.jpg
20170329_234630.jpg
20170329_234635.jpg
20170329_234640.jpg
20170329_234645.jpg
20170329_234708.jpg
20170329_234735.jpg
20170329_234743.jpg
20170329_234757.jpg
20170329_234811.jpg
20170329_184900.jpg
20170329_184855.jpg