Icemud's Budmaster LED Grow Light Journal: Hybrid LED's & 730nm Far Red Triggering

Re: Icemud's Budmaster LED Grow Light Journal - Hybrid LED's & 730nm Far Red Triggeri

Happy 420 Everyone!!!!!!

Re: Icemud's Budmaster LED Grow Light Journal - Hybrid LED's & 730nm Far Red Triggeri

Happy 420 Ice! Plants are looking good :thumb:

Thanks Green Yeti!!!

Hey everyone!!!!

Well its that time!!!!!!

Day 55 flowering or otherwise known as HARVEST DAY!!!!!

Well first off, I want to thank Budmaster for allowing me the opportunity to not only try out the all new HPS LED's, but also the 730nm Far Red Emerson Panel! I am very impressed with both, and for only using just shy of 500w total, I think that I should have some great yield numbers once all said, done and dried which should be about a week from now :) (I will report all final weights, plus gram/watt data, comparisons of past grows, and also dried and manicured bud shots as they are ready)

Well first off, this grow went rather well, and with only a few slight hiccups on the trainwreck (lock out) and the black cherry soda which I yanked about 2 weeks ago (stunted from old bad soil) and a slight late deficiency on the GDP, other than those minor issues all else went extremely well and I couldn't be happier.

The Far Red Emerson 730nm panel, using it as flower triggering worked, as I can't ever remember harvesting all my plants on day 55 or sooner, as every grow in the past I believe usually is around 63-65 days on average, so the Far Red flower triggering worked!!! It did cut a week of of the harvest time, and I have to say even though most of these strains I haven't run before, the ogiesel which I am familar with actually seemed to be the same if not heavier than past grows so it seems the far red flower triggering did not trade fast with less weight. So for all those that were curious if Far Red works... I think its safe to say, YES!!!

As far as all the plants, I cut the stalks, hung them upside down and they will dry for the great part of the next 7 to 10 days :) I can't wait to try them.

The budmaster HPS LED grow lights also performed very well and I can honestly say the size of the buds resembled that of the COB grow I did back a few grows ago, as well as past HPS grows so hopefully when I weigh everything out, it should show the same. I highly recommend these budmaster HPS led grow lights to anyone looking for a bad @ss light! they rock!

Well not much else to report on... I see my crowd of followers has significantly dropped so thank you to all those who have followed along and kept up with my grow. I appreciate each and every one of you!

Full Harvest pics:
20170423_181643.jpg
20170423_181648.jpg
20170423_181708.jpg
20170423_190757.jpg
20170423_190803.jpg

Ogiesel

20170423_182653.jpg
20170423_182708.jpg
20170423_182715.jpg
20170423_182725.jpg
20170423_182728.jpg
20170423_182735.jpg
20170423_182756_Burst01.jpg
20170423_182806.jpg

Mendo Grape Kush

20170423_181723.jpg
20170423_181728.jpg
20170423_181739.jpg
20170423_181823.jpg
20170423_181830.jpg
20170423_181846.jpg
20170423_181858.jpg

Trainwreck

20170423_184739.jpg
20170423_184747.jpg
20170423_184751.jpg
20170423_184755.jpg
20170423_184801.jpg
20170423_184807.jpg

Racefuel OG

20170423_185018.jpg
20170423_185022.jpg
20170423_185034.jpg
20170423_185049.jpg
20170423_185054.jpg
20170423_185100.jpg

Gorilla Glue #4

20170423_185108.jpg
20170423_190500.jpg
20170423_190504.jpg
20170423_190533.jpg
20170423_190543.jpg
20170423_190549.jpg

GDP

20170423_190702.jpg
20170423_190718.jpg

Again a special thank you to Budmaster, 420 Magazine and all of you for making this possible!!!!! One Love!

Wow nice haul... Keepem Green

Wow nice haul... Keepem Green

Thanks Norcaliwood!!!

Looks like quite the haul. Do you take all your plants at once due to having to hang them in the tent? What do you do when one is ready before all the others or when one needs a lot more time than the rest? I ask because I rarely if ever have two plants from different strains finish at the same time. You should end up with a good amount of bud :) :thumb:

Looks like quite the haul. Do you take all your plants at once due to having to hang them in the tent? What do you do when one is ready before all the others or when one needs a lot more time than the rest? I ask because I rarely if ever have two plants from different strains finish at the same time. You should end up with a good amount of bud :) :thumb:

Well generally in the past most strains finish at different times but not too far from each other, with the exception of a few strains, so I would say within about a week to 2 weeks max of each other is typical...

I use 2 indicators for ripeness. Trichome color which I usually pull when cloudy with about 5-15% amber. I also use the calyx swelling and pistil color/look to determine this and usually when the hairs go from orange to a darker brownish rust color and shrivel as well as the calyx's are really fat.

So for this grow, all the strains were showing cloudy trichomes... all at the same time which was sort of odd as I don't think in the past I can remember this happening across all strains, and most of the pistils were amber/dark brown. I probably could have let the racefuel og and the mendo grape kush go another week or 2, but pulled them with the rest due to needing to get my next grow going, and also having cloudy trichomes, the thc was mature. If I would have let them go another week it may have resulted in slightly more weight, but the increase in weight vs getting my next project started just didn't outweigh the benefits of getting the next grow started, so I decided to pull them.

Well generally in the past most strains finish at different times but not too far from each other, with the exception of a few strains, so I would say within about a week to 2 weeks max of each other is typical...

I use 2 indicators for ripeness. Trichome color which I usually pull when cloudy with about 5-15% amber. I also use the calyx swelling and pistil color/look to determine this and usually when the hairs go from orange to a darker brownish rust color and shrivel as well as the calyx's are really fat.

So for this grow, all the strains were showing cloudy trichomes... all at the same time which was sort of odd as I don't think in the past I can remember this happening across all strains, and most of the pistils were amber/dark brown. I probably could have let the racefuel og and the mendo grape kush go another week or 2, but pulled them with the rest due to needing to get my next grow going, and also having cloudy trichomes, the thc was mature. If I would have let them go another week it may have resulted in slightly more weight, but the increase in weight vs getting my next project started just didn't outweigh the benefits of getting the next grow started, so I decided to pull them.

That makes sense. I've had a couple of plants finish really close but not all at once like that. What is your next project that you are working on?

Some nice looking fat buds.

Thanks Darkgrow! I can't wait until they are dry and I can trim them up and give them a try, as well as snap some good photos :)

That makes sense. I've had a couple of plants finish really close but not all at once like that. What is your next project that you are working on?

I think on average most of my plants finish between 63 and 68 days..under LED. When I used to run HID (HPS and CMH) it usually added about 1 week on to the flowering time as I seem to remember finishing usually around day 70-78. Some strains like my ogiesel usually seem to finish earlier than most of my sativa doms.... but I have rare times with certain strains that have gone 85 and even around 100 days too in the past.

I actually was signing on tonight to look back at all my ogiesel grows and get some numbers together :)

Well I am about to start a feminized seed project and I'm just waiting for some room so I can get that underway, plus start my next round of plants for my flower tent which are all still very young and mostly only a week or 2 old plants that currently are in my 3rd tent.

I have I think 11 strains currently that I have to juggle between veg, making seeds and of course flowering too, so this sometimes dictates when I pull things, or how long sometimes I wait before flowering my plants (as in the grow I just finished). I would have liked to actually get the process started sooner but had to wait to make room for clones and make sure I had at least 1 copy of all my 11 strains in veg..

I have another journal that is in my signature that is my seed project journal, and I tried just recently but failed as my ogiesel gave pollen sacks, but they contained no pollen. So now I am either going to run with my GDP, trainwreck, tangie or Harlequin, as I have 2 goals... make sure to get feminized seeds of each strain, and reduce my plant count and live plants I manage..... so I have to make a choice soon, but im leaning either toward gdp or trainwreck.

I would run Trainwreck for seeds

I'm very strongly considering it... I have the Arcata Cut, so it has that classic taste and when I look its profile up on the phylos galaxy, its sort of out on its own genetically and its middle of the road as far as variation possibility. I really miss having the pine flavored buds of the 90s too, so since trainwreck does have a lot of alpha pinene in it, I am curious how it will cross with my ogiesel which also has a piney taste to it.

Its a hard call though because I also have been seeking GDP for years, and finally believe I got a good cut of it... so I want to run it just in case anything happens, plus GDP has a strong possiblity for many variations in the progeny so who knows what could pop out in the seeds.

The Harlequin I really want to use for 3 reasons, 1 because I have had it in my garden for at least 3-4 years and I'm sick of having it around...LOL, but also the flavor is so unique.. almost like hot asphalt, new shoes and carpet cleaner... very odd smelling so I think it may make some interesting offspring, plus since CBD has been bread out of most strains on the market, it causes people issues with mental health so it would be nice to add some cbd back into the genepool.

The Tangie is also another one that I'm considering.. 1 because I have gotten sick of orange flavored buds for now..LOL...they are delicious but its too much when you have had them for over a year strait. So it would be nice to get it out of my tents... Also I have 2 phenotypes of Tangie, both very similar in a lot of ways, especially the terp profile and strength, so I think they would make an excellent cross if bred together.

Its a hard decision but I'm really leaning towards either the GDP or Trainwreck... both are amazing and hard to find in original form :)

What I was thinking of when I said the Trainwreck to make the seeds is so you could pollinated was one of your granddaddy purps and cross it was a you want to go male to female one way or male to female the other way because Trainwreck alone is mostly sativa but packs the punch of an Indica for a while you don't find that in many strains the Grand Daddy Purp will give it the Great Taste and your house will smell like a fruity ammonia

So I scoured all of my past grow journals in search of harvest times of each of my Ogiesel grows, which goes back about 4 years.

I want to make very clear, that in NO way, is this a comparison of brands. This only is data of my past grows, some great, some horrible, and some in between. The purpose of posting this data is ONLY to show harvest times, as well as light type and wattage used, so that we can use this data to compare my current grow, using Far Red light, to see how my ogiesel average harvest time compares.

I have to put this disclaimer in because I don't want issues with the staff, and don't want to have any issues between sponsors either...

Again, this is only data, to show whether far red light decreased flowering time... NOT a comparison of brands!!! :)

OGIESEL HARVEST TIMES

Current Grow: BudMaster HPS LED: 500w, Harvested day 55
(WITH FAR RED)

Advanced LED XTE 300s 2x:, 500w, harvest at day 72 ,

I-gro (LED): 360w, harvested at day 66

400w CMH + 600w HPS 1000w harvest at day 67,

Advanced LED XTE (3x) 750w, harvest at day 65,

Mars Hydro 400 (x3), 540w, harvest at day 67

Budmaster God 340w, Harvest at day 67

Average OGiesel Harvest date (without Far Red flower induction) = 67 days (and 1/3) lol

Here are the times I have harvested each grow: under each light source. This is not strain specific and since some strains finished different times, the actual harvest date was averaged if plants were pulled at different times in the same grow.

General Harvest times: (all strains, not just ogiesel)
Budmaster GOD (current) 67 days.
Last grow with the COBs I harvested on day 70
Under Advanced LED I had flowering times of 64 days, 80 days, and 72 days
Under Igro's: 67 days and 69 days,
Under Mars II: 67 days and 76 days
Under 1000w of HID (400 CMH and 600 HPS): 74 days, 75 days, 75 days, 100 days, 65 days

So with looking at all of that data, using the Far red definitely decreased the time of my flowering cycle for my Ogiesel by about 12 days, almost 2 weeks!!! Thats crazy!!! Now I won't have the weight data for about another week and a half, but when I do I will post it. By the looks of the plant, it definitely should be above average for what I have seen on most of my past ogiesel grows....but this also can be due to some slight changes in my soil over time, my advancement in growing knowledge and skill, different lights, different environmental conditions..etc... so I can't really look at weight other than just another data piece... however, I can say that with almost all past grows being right at 67 days, and no question on this current grow my ogiesel was done at day 55... I definitely can say even though not a side by side, or lab study.... the data does lead me to believe far red light works for flower triggering :) sweet!!!!

Great to hear that and thanks for your detailed data my friend. My nebula went 10 days longer then breeder says. I been using 4x740-745nm and 12x 730nm. But this grow was a mess. The change to flower and first trichs happened faster, but the plants almost dried out which prolly cost me 2 weeks. But in the end buds were the best ive grown so far (cob + fr)

Results time:

So as you all know, on this grow I was testing out the new Emerson Far Red Budmaster LED and using it for flower triggering. Since most of the strains I was growing were new to me, I had to look at my trusty old ogiesel as a reference point to see if the far red light, when used as a flower trigger, sped up the cycle, and what effects it may have had on weight.

Well Here are the results:

Weights from past Ogiesel grows:
70g, 24.5g, 3/4 oz approx or 21g, 30g, under 1 oz but was not measured.

Ogiesel weight this grow 26.5g

So based on looking at past grows vs this one, which finished 12 days faster on day 55 vs the average harvest being day 67, the difference in weight was not much.

So I can definitely say that overall the Far Red flower triggering worked for this grow! Nice!

Now with that being said... was the whole grow a success?

Well out of 8 strains I started with, I culled 1 which was a bagseed which wasn't keeping up with the others. I then have some issues with my trainwreck gettings stunted midflowering as well as some issues with my black cherry soda having old soil and underperforming which I pulled early...

Therefore Here is what the harvest was:

Trainwreck 26g
GDP 26g
Mendo Grape Kush 24.6g
Racefuel OG 36g
Black Cherry Soda 16.7g
Ogiesel 26.5g
GG#4 24.6g

Total harvest 180g or .38grams/watt... My personal worst!!!!!

Here are my total weights for all of my grows and G/w
Grow 1: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 574g or .57 grams/watt
Grow 2: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 547g or .55 grams/watt
Grow 3: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) No Yield Data (Powder Mildew took over)
Grow 4: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 325g or .33 grams/watt
Grow 5: 580w (400w CMH + Mars II 400w) Total yield 245g or .42 grams/watt
Grow 6: 540w LED (3x Mars II 400/180w models) Total yield 308g or .57 grams/watt
Grow 7:>300w LED (2x Intelligent Gro, GEN1, 180w each on dimmer) Total yield 191g or .63 grams/watt
Grow 8: 540W LED (3x Intelligent Gro, GEN2, 180w draw each) Total yield 367g or .70 grams/watt
Grow 9: 494W LED (2x Advanced LED XTE300, 247w draw each), Total yield 391.4g or .79grams/watt
Grow 10: 750W LED (3x Advanced LED XTE300, 247w draw each, Total yield 475.1g or .63G/Watt
Grow 11 (2x Advanced LED first 30 days of flowering (247w each), 2x Budmaster COB-x-4 at 400w total) Total yield 327.7g or .81g/watt 400w, .65g/watt @500w)
340W (2x Budmaster GOD-4, 170w draw each), Total yield 228g or .67 Grams/watt.
Current Grow: 470w 2x Budmaster HPS-6, 235w each (with 70w Far RED flower Induction), Total Yield 180g or .38grams/watt.

I'm really not sure what happened with this grow, but the plants very much underperformed as I generally have always hit at least .5g/w in my garden which would have at least been 235g... and with most led grows I've been closer to .7g/w or on this grow would have been around 360g or so.... so I'm pretty disappointed in the results. The buds were not as dense as in past grows, severely lacked weight, were, and the shocker is that I've had plants that were in worse health than they are now do much better in terms of yield, density and overall size.

So with that being said, I don't really know if the far red light had anything to do with this, as I can't see cutting 12 days off harvest time doing anything good for weight. I mean 12 days is 2 weeks and a lot can happen in 2 weeks with bud as far as maturity and growth.

Therefore I will definitely be running these strains again in the near future, with same nutrients and soil, and most likely I will run them without the far red to see what happens. I have a feeling that counting those days out of the harvest really did a number to the overall yield... and to tell ya the truth, I would much rather wait 12 more days to harvest to get almost double the yield...than cut my cycle short and get airy light buds...

Flavor wise and high are very good on the overall buds, so I can't be all that disappointed as I do have about 6 ounces to last me until next cycle, however its still disappointing to know that I had healthier plants than most grows I've done, but yet the yield was crap..

So... with that being said... do I recommend the Emerson Panel? I really can't say yet as 1 grow doesn't give enough data to really go off of, but in the same time its an interesting concept that maybe can be tuned to benefit, but without severely cutting yield.. but its still early to tell. As of now if there are hopes and dreams of somehow reducing flowering by 2 weeks without consequence, well thats a hope that probably wont ever come true.... but like I said.. more experimenting has to be done...

Well not all is a disappointment, at least I have some nice nugs to smoke...

GDP
20170509_175502.jpg
20170509_175512.jpg
20170509_175526.jpg
20170509_175542.jpg

Trainwreck
20170509_175135.jpg
20170509_175155.jpg

Racefuel OG
20170509_174723.jpg
20170509_174740.jpg
20170509_174753.jpg

Gorilla Glue #4
20170509_174132.jpg
20170509_174156.jpg
20170509_174205.jpg

Mendo Grape Kush
20170509_173723.jpg
20170509_173727.jpg
20170509_173734.jpg
20170509_173738.jpg
20170509_173751.jpg

Ogiesel
20170509_173217.jpg
20170509_173243.jpg
20170509_173253.jpg
20170509_173303.jpg
20170509_173319.jpg

Results time:

Total harvest 180g or .38grams/watt... My personal worst!!!!!

Here are my total weights for all of my grows and G/w
Grow 1: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 574g or .57 grams/watt
Grow 2: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 547g or .55 grams/watt
Grow 3: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) No Yield Data (Powder Mildew took over)
Grow 4: 1000w HID (400w CMH + 600w HPS) Total yield 325g or .33 grams/watt
Grow 5: 580w (400w CMH + Mars II 400w) Total yield 245g or .42 grams/watt

Well Not actually the Worst :) But the data you collected is a success :)

Thanks for taking the time to type and post all of this, Certainly helps me
to gauge my interest in giving it a try. Seems more testing and improvement
is needed before it can be cost effective for me. But I can see the potential
and looking forward to your next run.

Thanks again Gazoo

Back
Top Bottom