Icemud's Budmaster LED Grow Light Journal: Hybrid LED's & 730nm Far Red Triggering

Re: Icemud's Budmaster LED Grow Light Journal - Hybrid LED's & 730nm Far Red Triggeri

Well Not actually the Worst :) But the data you collected is a success :)

Thanks for taking the time to type and post all of this, Certainly helps me
to gauge my interest in giving it a try. Seems more testing and improvement
is needed before it can be cost effective for me. But I can see the potential
and looking forward to your next run.

Thanks again Gazoo

Thanks Gazoo... you put a smile on my face pointing that out! thanks for the positive way to look at it!

Yea to me it seems that definitely more testing is needed until I find it cost effective to get the far red light... cutting a cycle down in time is definitely nice, but if it causes that much of a loss in weight then I don't see it being beneficial either.... so we will keep plugging along and hopefully I will have more data to share in the near future.

I mean all and all, the ogiesel was not much different in weight vs previous grows so the low yield could be a result of running new strains that I wasn't familiar with...

One thing that I noticed is that on this past grow with the far red light... the plants almost seemed to skip over that swelling phase, where they really gain weight... it seems they went right from white pistils to swollen calyxs and missed the whole filling in stage... so maybe the far red light could be used after that phase to some effect, not sure though...

Re: Icemud's Budmaster LED Grow Light Journal - Hybrid LED's & 730nm Far Red Triggeri

BTW everyone... I just started my next seed project... still have to update my other journal... But today makes day 2 flowering and spraying colloidal silver...

Icemud's How To Make Feminized Seeds Using Colloidal Silver

Hey Icemud,

Without disappointment, we couldn't enjoy victory (Nicolas Cage, Gone in 60 Seconds), So sorry for the low harvest weight. How much of the drop in weight was attributable to the far red lights?

One great thing about 420 magazine - everyone is experimenting, trying to make the ultimate product. I do so love an interesting experiment. Going to your next grow. I'd like another look at the lighting structure.

Well, I've used up enough of your time. Catch you on the next grow.

I am not to sure about Far red helping to much, hard to decide if it was 5 days early because of good conditions or iFr.
But I run several strains for years now from mothers and my yield did not drop.
Actually it rises but that may be because I get coco better dialed in.
I do coco for a year now and ifr for over 6 month and with that much changes it is hard to tell a solid option.

Thanks for all your work and for sharing all the data. My buds under 730 last year never swelled either but we did have the worst sunlight on record too and I was way undergunned w my supplemental lights. Going to blackbox this year so I won't be using 730 again but I'm looking forward to seeing some more testing from you when possible. Would love to see you give it another chance or two and break up the harvest into grams per day vs the gpw you have now. I've read before the far red can make the plants lanky but I've never read wispy. Yet that's all you and I got, so for sure would love to see you give it another chance sometime before I write it off as no good. Thanks again man, great journal.

Hey Ice, it might be interesting to calculate grams per day for your grows. Didn't you say this one finished early? :hmmmm:

Thanks for the data Ice. Have you considered using the far reds just to trigger flowering and then stop using them once buds start forming? If I recall you used them throughout the whole grow this time. What do you think of the GG4?

I've thought about using it a few different ways but I will definitely have to see what others are doing as well as do some more research on my own. I am just having a hard time believing that cutting time can be beneficial to the flower cycle, like the old saying goes you can't take something from nothing.

I was thinking maybe it might be useful for the first 2 weeks of flowering to help push an earlier flower set, but looking back at the 2x I used Far red, I didn't see the flower set any quicker than without the Far Red, so don't know if that would help.

I've also considered just using it the last few weeks to "ripen" but again not sure how it would really influence the plant by much for just a few weeks.

I've also thought about maybe running a full blue spectrum all night followed by a slight bit of dark and IR... as supposedly blue has very little to do with flower triggering, so I was thinking maybe this would keep them in flower, but supply photons to keep photosynthesis going.... Its hard to say as most of this lighting modification is fairly new science, especially in the ways we use it.

The GG4 was absolutely dank! but very very very weird leaf structure and bud structure where most of the buds had very little mass to them and were very leafy, may have had to do with using the far red lights, but GG4 is extremely tasty and dank, just didn't like how the buds formed this run. Definitely one of my targets for use in future breeding, would love to share the flavor and trichome density gg4 has with other strains :)

Hey Icemud,

Without disappointment, we couldn't enjoy victory (Nicolas Cage, Gone in 60 Seconds), So sorry for the low harvest weight. How much of the drop in weight was attributable to the far red lights?

One great thing about 420 magazine - everyone is experimenting, trying to make the ultimate product. I do so love an interesting experiment. Going to your next grow. I'd like another look at the lighting structure.

Well, I've used up enough of your time. Catch you on the next grow.

Well its hard to say how much of the drop was results of the Far Red, because most of these strains I have never flowered before. So I don't have any data to run off of other than the ogiesel which I am familiar with. So to be fair, do I actually know how much.. not really. but the drop in gram/watt (grow efficiency) in my garden along with the average weight (360g) for all my grows, the drop was definitely significant.

Now could it be other factors like genetics, soil, nutrients...etc... yea all of that also could have been part of the final result so its hard to say. I do think some of the strains I could have let go for another week or even 2 which would have resulted in a higher weight but I don't believe by much.

I will be running these strains again so we will see if the light was the culprit or if it was something else :)

I am not to sure about Far red helping to much, hard to decide if it was 5 days early because of good conditions or iFr.
But I run several strains for years now from mothers and my yield did not drop.
Actually it rises but that may be because I get coco better dialed in.
I do coco for a year now and ifr for over 6 month and with that much changes it is hard to tell a solid option.

I agree, it could be many factors so its hard to just put a single result to a claim and call it a day. I definitely have to test this out more in the future. I really wish I had a side by side ability to do a controlled study. I do have possible access to a facility for this in the future, but it will be some time before that facility can be used so until then I will just have to go off what I can.

It could even be the different soil I'm running with osmocote and coco which I've never used before. I doubt that the reduction would be because of both of those but who knows... could be...

Definitely agree with ya, so much changes each grow its really hard to tell whether a single item/technique/product is effective or not. One of these days I will have my mad science lab where I can run these tests... :)

Thanks for all your work and for sharing all the data. My buds under 730 last year never swelled either but we did have the worst sunlight on record too and I was way undergunned w my supplemental lights. Going to blackbox this year so I won't be using 730 again but I'm looking forward to seeing some more testing from you when possible. Would love to see you give it another chance or two and break up the harvest into grams per day vs the gpw you have now. I've read before the far red can make the plants lanky but I've never read wispy. Yet that's all you and I got, so for sure would love to see you give it another chance sometime before I write it off as no good. Thanks again man, great journal.

I definitely can attest to using far red light making plants lanky, not using it in the fashion I did with 15 minutes at the end of the day, but using Far Red light during the day, with other lights definitely will stretch the plants a lot... well I should say is decreasing the ration of RED:FAR RED will cause stretching. Far Red is actually how plants sense other plants around, objects and such so its sort of a navigation and growth related wavelenth and one of the side effects is stretching/shade avoidance syndrome.

I definitely feel there may be a way we can benefit using Far Red light, but not sure how yet.

Hey Ice just had to search. Bit for this but I'm here!

Hey Shiggity!

Yea this jounal is wrapped up for the most part, but my seed project is just about to take off, Glad to see ya back at the forums!!!

Hey Ice, it might be interesting to calculate grams per day for your grows. Didn't you say this one finished early? :hmmmm:

Thats a good idea... maybe I will do that.. starting with my next flowering grow as I hope to run most of the same strains again. It would be good to track each strain separately too, so I can have a chart over time of which methods produce best. Good suggestion Graytail!

Re: Icemud's Budmaster LED grow light journal: Hybrid LED's and 730nm Far Red trigger

I have a single far red light 730 nm I want to add as a small supplement to my 1000w raptor hps. would this be healthy for my girls ??? please help i thought so but people are saying only for a couple of minutes daily!

Re: Icemud's Budmaster LED grow light journal: Hybrid LED's and 730nm Far Red trigger

I have a single far red light 730 nm I want to add as a small supplement to my 1000w raptor hps. would this be healthy for my girls ??? please help i thought so but people are saying only for a couple of minutes daily!

For what purpose do you want to add it? HPS has plenty of Far Red in it for emerson effect. You don't need extra. For flower triggering, I really don't know if a single diode would be enough, or even if it would be beneficial. I had subpar results as cutting 2 weeks off flowering also left me with less yield. Significantly less. So not sure what you plan on using it for, but I would say you will be fine without it.

Soo it will have little to no positive effect i had store credit at my hydro store thought it could have some benefits as additional light. Soo i should basically return for something actually useful?

Wow Icemud- once again im blown away at all of the countless hours of research, and looking back through older journals just to give us readers some valuble info, that you have put in. Much props to you for finding the time, and having the patience to accomplish all of this and still being one of the nicest, and most up beat people on 420mag forums, period. I would lose my marbles for sure even trying to put in a small fraction of the time and effort that you do. Lol! Really, your dedication to logging info, and fact sharing is way above and beyond the call of duty. My hat goes off to you. Your work has inspired me to try many new things in my own grows and will forever be in the 420mag archives to inspire many many more in the future, im sure. Thanks for everything, and for all that you've over the years, and all that you continue to do.
Nothing but respect,
Sparks

Soo it will have little to no positive effect i had store credit at my hydro store thought it could have some benefits as additional light. Soo i should basically return for something actually useful?

I would... if you could exchange it for a reptile bulb that puts out UV-B, that would be much more of a benefit (in flowering) for increasing trichomes.

Wow Icemud- once again im blown away at all of the countless hours of research, and looking back through older journals just to give us readers some valuble info, that you have put in. Much props to you for finding the time, and having the patience to accomplish all of this and still being one of the nicest, and most up beat people on 420mag forums, period. I would lose my marbles for sure even trying to put in a small fraction of the time and effort that you do. Lol! Really, your dedication to logging info, and fact sharing is way above and beyond the call of duty. My hat goes off to you. Your work has inspired me to try many new things in my own grows and will forever be in the 420mag archives to inspire many many more in the future, im sure. Thanks for everything, and for all that you've over the years, and all that you continue to do.
Nothing but respect,
Sparks

Wow Big Sparks, you really made my day today :) I really appreciate you saying such kind things and Its absolutely my pleasure for documenting all my stuff here. I honestly wish I had a much larger facility and research center because I would love to research all aspects of our favorite plant. I actually may have that opportunity coming up very soon with my job, as there is talk of a research center were myself and a handful of very famous scientists will get to explore all aspects of cannabis growing :) I can't wait :)

Thank you so much for reaching out to me and sharing some good kudos!!! It really made my day :) Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom