Icemud's Grow 8.0 - New Intelligent-Gro LED - 2 x IGRO-228 LED - Testing & Review

Re: Icemud's Grow 8.0 - New Intelligent-Gro LED - 2 x IGRO-228 LED - Testing And Revi

So hey everyone and welcome!! I see so far we have quite a crowd here :) Today was the 1st day of the custom lighting schedule set to the company recommended "VEG" setting. I can't get over how awesome it is that these lights will change spectrum, dim and get brigher with the day, and then fad out in intensity for the end of day... just in complete awe!!

So today would be day 27 of veg for my girls and day 2 for them under the New Intelligent-Gro lights. I opened the tent today and the girls looked much happier than yesterday and they leaves were back to stretching towards the light and enjoying their new environment.

I think the leaf drooping I mentioned yesterday was due to them being under much more intense lighting but now they seem to have adjusted and are looking very happy. You know that feeling you kind of get from your plants when their healthy...well I got that feeling :)

So to the grow area, since the temps were a little high yesterday I added 2x 6" duct air intake ports with flexible ducting so that air enters on the lower portion of the tent on each side. I may use longer pieces to help the air get further down to the tent bottom, but already just by doing this I lowered the tent from 85F with lights on full intensity, to 82F with the air ducts. I didn't get a chance to swap the 4" duct fan to the spare 6" I have, but will do this either later tonight or in the morning, since I have more work to do in my 3rd tent as well.

So far I am very pleased with these lights and excited to see how these girls do under them! I have to say I can't get over the brightness of these lights!! They are awesome!!

As far as the plants. I did some minor LST to the ladies and tied down all of their branches to help induce more tops to form because I want to get these ladies bushy! Hopefully my timing with my other grow tent will work out perfectly where I can take use the V-Scrog screen for these girls, but only time will tell because I will have to wait until the other tent is fully harvested to remove the screen. If I can't use the screen I may just build another one, or just grow these ladies bushy and tall and fill up the tent :)

Well here are the ladies of the night....(these photos were taken on the last hour of the daylight cycle so the lights are dimmed to the Veg schedule settings of 10%, 20% 20% which is Grow/Veg/Bloom channels intensities)

Full Tent View
DSC08681.JPG
DSC08682.JPG
DSC08683.JPG

Black Cherry Cola
DSC086841.JPG

Harlequin
DSC086861.JPG

Purple Dragon
DSC086853.JPG

GDP
DSC086882.JPG

GDP
DSC086892.JPG

Re: Icemud's Grow 8.0 - New Intelligent-Gro LED - 2 x IGRO-228 LED - Testing And Revi

So I just discovered another cool thing about the lights....

I picked up my controller to verify the time of day that I was taking the photo's and noticed that about 1/2 hour after I took the photos... the lighting intensities only read 2%, 5%, 5% (GROW/VEG/BLOOM)... at first I was like, what the heck? its supposed to be higher at this 1 hour timeframe of the day?? But then I figured this out....and this is where it gets even more cool!!

DSC087044.JPG

So when I looked at my controller, the time was 23:45 and the settings read as stated above 2%, 5%, 5% (GROW/VEG/BLOOM)

This point would be between the hours 23:00 and 24:00.

At 23:00 in my custom setting, the intensities are set to 10%, 20%, 20% (GROW/VEG/BLOOM)
DSC087071.JPG

At 24:00 in my custom settings the intensities are set to 0%, 0%, 0% (GROW/VEG/BLOOM) ***First hour of the dark period
DSC087081.JPG

So what I figured out is that the light slowly dims or increases intensity based on the hour before and the hour after... At first I thought they dimmed in "increments" that the whole hour would be one setting, and then the next hour it would drastically change...not true.. the light slowly dimms!!!!! This is awesome!!

Anyhow I took a few photo's of the timer so you get the idea..

Way cool!

Re: Icemud's Grow 8.0, NEW Intelligent-Gro LED, 2x IGRO-228 LED, Testing and Review.

It does pull a draw. This draw is what keeps the intelligent controller cycle timer climate light control feature from being able to turn lights 100% off(sunset) and back on during the sunrise time frame.
The draw seems a little higher than i remember it was suppose to be....I just glanced to make sure it is on the site and the constant power draw in standby mode was suppose to be around 6watts.(12w with two linked together) Did you do the meter to both panels were they both the exact same numbers for all three channels and same standby mode draw? Did they both had a low red LED dimmed light during standyby mode?(all-three switched off).

I feel like an idiot. I put on my site that each module consumed 90w when its actual 85w. 90w per module was what we planned the whole time and then at the end we changed it because we didn't want to overdrive the power driver supply. I have had no many things going on at one time.. I have made a few mistakes but I am getting the kinks worked out as fast as I can.

Website updated with proper Powerdraw for all 6 modules. The amount of energy savings you will get form using the Intelligent controller during the program compared to other LED's out weighs the small draw and the much added value of the programming capabilities. I hope you can agree

But yes the draw was listed. sorry this was not pointed out that the built in electronics for controlling the light does pull a little draw just like every electronic in the house. I wish we could have avoided this.. :(
led-logo.png

The initial lighting of the Intelligent-Gro 228w LED and draw tests(model/product code IGRO-228LED)... 1st impressions...

OK...so I was so anxious to plug the lights in to see how bright they are and I have to say...Whoa!!! Very very bright!!! Upon plugging in the light I noticed that the fans run very very quiet...much quieter than other LED's that I have used in the past, and you could barely hear them operating :)

I am all about giving honest reviews and helping to provide a lot of information so other consumers/growers can learn from me as well as see real world usage, results, and set their expections. I wanted to mention this because even though this grow is sponsored by Intelligent-Gro LED, my job is to test the lights and give an honest review, as well as to document my grow from veg to harvest.

My first test was a load test using a Kill-a-watt meter to test the total draw of the lights in operation. I wanted to first see if the specs listed on the website were accurate, as well as see how much power these 228w panels use. Each of the panels were tested independently as well as daisy chained together for Amps and Watts and more visual details will follow in the photos as well as the upcoming un-boxing video..

LIGHT #1
Intelligent-Gro 228w LED
(model/product code IGRO-228LED)

Here are the results of the 1st light I tested:
Note: This light was tested independent of the other light (no daisy chain) and it was plugged directly into my Kill-o-watt meter.

ALL 3 CHANNELS OFF: (SWITCHES IN OFF POSITION) 6w, .09A
VEG: 38w, .36A
Bloom: 31w .31A
Grow: 107w .95A
ALL CHANNELS ON FULL: 166w 1.43A (slightly lower than the 180w specs)

VEG
DSC086233.JPG
DSC086202.JPG
DSC086154.JPG

BLOOM
DSC086212.JPG
DSC086162.JPG
DSC086244.JPG

GROW
DSC086253.JPG
DSC086172.JPG
DSC086221.JPG

ALL 3 CHANNELS ON
DSC086264.JPG

One thing that I did notice that is a little ODD about both of the lights I tested is that when all switches are in the off position, Some of the Red LED chips still are getting some kind of power and are very dimly lit. (will be shown in upcoming video) At first I thought this might just be power that is built up inside the unit so I let it sit in the off position for about 10 minutes while I ran to the store, came back and the LED's were still dimly lit...
So there is some kind of power draw going through the light, even when all 3 switches are in the off position and leaking to the Red Diodes. I was curious how much power this was "leaking" when the light was supposed to be off, and the Kill-a-watt meter read : With all switches in off position, the light is drawing about 6 watts and .09 Amps.
When I unplugged the light from the wall, the dimly lit red LED's went out completely.

I will have to find out if these lights can be run on a regular digital timer, outside of the programmable light controller so that I can set my timer to come on a few minutes before the actual controller/programmer turns the lights on, and so that my timer turns off the power a few minutes after the controller/programmer turns the lights off. There probably isn't a need to do this since the red led's are very very dim and probably wouldn't effect the plants at all, but looking at the power draw/savings of not having this extra 16w pulling 24/7 would save me an extra $3 a month off my electric bill, and over $36 bucks a year off my power bill. I just need to find out how long the controller will hold its memory without power. If it can hold the custom settings for the duration of the dark period, then I most likely will put it on a digital timer like mentioned previous. Like I mentioned, not at all a big deal, but with me trying to limit my electric bill, every watt counts :) I will ask Danky Dave if the controller holds memory and if it does, problem solved :)

Light #2
Intelligent-Gro 228w LED

I tested this light independent of the other light so it was plugged directly into my kill-a-watt meter with the included 110v wall plug. I noticed that when turning on this light, there was a slight noise coming from it when all 3 switches were in the on position but when I turned off the "grow" channel the sound nearly disappeared. The noise itself sounded as if it could be the fan (like a bearing was bad) or almost like a buzzing electrical sound (like when there is a short or a wire is not grounded properly). The sound itself is not that loud and most likely my guess would be the fan (but why only when veg and bloom are on is it quiet, and when then grow is switched on the noise starts). Does the fan change speeds depending on how much "juice" is turned on? Honestly its a very minor problem if it is the fan and still it runs much quieter than my other brand LED lights...much much quieter!

Here are the results of the 2nd light I tested:
Note: This light was tested independent of the other light (no daisy chain) and it was plugged directly into my Kill-o-watt meter.

VEG: 39w, .37A
Grow: 110w .98A
ALL CHANNELS ON FULL: 171w 1.51A (slightly lower than the 180w specs)

VEG
DSC086642.JPG
DSC086651.JPG

BLOOM
DSC08666.JPG
DSC086671.JPG

GROW
DSC086681.JPG
DSC086691.JPG

ALL 3 CHANNELS ON
DSC086701.JPG
DSC086712.JPG

Results of both lights, daisy chained together with all 3 switches in the on position and at 100% power, and also the results of both lights, switches in the off position, daisy chained together.

Both Lights, All 3 Channels OFF: (switches in off position) 12w, .16A
Both Lights, All 3 Channels ON, Daisy Chained, intensity at 100%: 339w 2.88A (slightly lower than the 180w specs)

Both Lights, All 3 Channels OFF: (switches in off position)
DSC08662.JPG
DSC08663.JPG

Both Lights, All 3 Channels ON, Daisy Chained, intensity at 100%:
DSC086722.JPG
DSC08673.JPG

My 1st impressions:
I have to say, these lights are very nice. The quality of the build seems pretty sturdy, they run extremely quiet, like whisper quiet where you can barely hear the fans running (other than slight issue mentioned above). The lights are extremely bright, especially for their low power usage and the 2 of the 228W models together fully lights my 55"x28"x78" tent very brightly. I really like how the custom channels can be independently programmed by the hour, and by intensity 0-100% which allows room for many future experiments with different spectrum combos :) (I will get into the program modes in a little bit). I can't wait to see how my plants like them...

Re: Icemud's Grow 8.0, NEW Intelligent-Gro LED, 2x IGRO-228 LED, Testing and Review.

It does pull a draw. This draw is what keeps the intelligent controller cycle timer climate light control feature from being able to turn lights 100% off(sunset) and back on during the sunrise time frame.
The draw seems a little higher than i remember it was suppose to be....I just glanced to make sure it is on the site and the constant power draw in standby mode was suppose to be around 6watts.(12w with two linked together) Did you do the meter to both panels were they both the exact same numbers for all three channels and same standby mode draw? Did they both had a low red LED dimmed light during standyby mode?(all-three switched off).

I metered each panel independently, as well as metered them daisy chained together. Each panel was pretty consistent between the lights on the 3 channel settings and even the overall wattage of lights running full power was only different by 5w...

LIGHT #1
Intelligent-Gro 228w LED

VEG: 38w, .36A
Grow: 107w .95A
ALL CHANNELS ON FULL: 166w 1.43A

LIGHT #2
Intelligent-Gro 228w LED

VEG: 39w, .37A
Grow: 110w .98A
ALL CHANNELS ON FULL: 171w 1.51A

Results of both lights, daisy chained together with all 3 switches in the on position and at 100% power, and also the results of both lights, switches in the off position, daisy chained together.

Both Lights, All 3 Channels OFF: (switches in off position) 12w, .16A
Both Lights, All 3 Channels ON, Daisy Chained, intensity at 100%: 339w 2.88A (slightly lower than the 180w specs)

As far as the dimmed Red LED chips, both light panels the red led's were illuminated (very dimly) with all 3 switches in the OFF position.

I feel like an idiot. I put on my site that each module consumed 90w when its actual 85w. 90w per module was what we planned the whole time and then at the end we changed it because we didn't want to overdrive the power driver supply. I have had no many things going on at one time.. I have made a few mistakes but I am getting the kinks worked out as fast as I can.

Website updated with proper Powerdraw for all 6 modules. The amount of energy savings you will get form using the Intelligent controller during the program compared to other LED's out weighs the small draw and the much added value of the programming capabilities. I hope you can agree

But yes the draw was listed. sorry this was not pointed out that the built in electronics for controlling the light does pull a little draw just like every electronic in the house. I wish we could have avoided this.. :(

Danky...definitely no worries on the specs on the website...thats why were here to test things.. you are a genius with these lights and I so far am extremely impressed...like a 10 out of 10 impressed with my initial tests and observations :) No worries about the draw either, just wanted to mention it since i try to provide as much info as I can for those that may want to know :)

I definitely agree that the savings of LED over HID are far greater than the small draw to operate an awesome intelligent next generation of LED grow lights!! I was actually looking at my tents today and saying to myself... "wow" I am able to run 2 grow tents, full of LED for less than the cost as I was running 1 tent with 1000w of HID lighting... I love green technology!

Hey KingJohnC!!! the strains I am growing are these...

Black Cherry Cola: not exactly sure what the genetics are but found this on one website "Airborne G13 X Ortega x C99 x Blackberry x Cherry AK-47 — 20% Indica/80% Sativa"

GDP: Supposedly Big Bud x Purple Eurkle, this is one of my favorite strains. I am excited to have 2 of them Definitely going to have to keep them around for a while.

Harlequin: A High CBD strain that gives about a 1:1 ratio of THC/CBD, great for the medicinal effects without a full blown high. About a 75%/25% sative/indica and typically produces 4-6% CBD or higher I couldn't find the details on the genetics but the sativa side is supposedly from a columbian gold and a strain from switzerland and the indica side from a Nepal strain.

Purple Dragon: Purple Urkle x Blue dragon (Sour Diesel x Blueberry)

Green Candy OG: Green Cr@ck x Candy Kush (OG x Trainwreck)

As of now I have the lights 18" above the plants top leaves. I looked at the plants today and the leaves seem to be slightly droopy compared to the day before so I might have the lights a little too close. It might also be that I changed the plants from the GLR to a 18/6 schedule so they may be adjusting.

LEDS are too close but fi you think they can handle it..closer the better until it causes an issue of some kind.

Hey ice, are your new lights able to get the same coverage as your last flower tent? You had around 600w in your last led tent, can you get the same coverage with 340w? I'll end up having very similar lights as what you own, except I've gone 4x114w, just like the freedom or idea of, for moving light as needed for each plant, plus a couple 400w other brand. If 85w can compete with 200w, I might need a couple more and sell my others. Did you do a decibel reading? My other LEDs were running at 60 give or take, but to loud, hope these are little quieter. Peace Ice

60db is pretty loud, a normal conversation is ~60-65db. I hope they're quieter than that:thumb:

60db is pretty loud, a normal conversation is ~60-65db. I hope they're quieter than that:thumb:

I was shattered, I brought cause a lot were saying how quiet they were. Unless my fans/ vents aren't set in the correct position. Peace

heheh, only the munchkin speaks loudly in our house, and we're constantly telling her to use her inside voice. **MY** voice goes through walls at about 55dB. But that's because it's so deep. The munchkin says she can hear my chest talk when I raise my voice.

Hey ice, are your new lights able to get the same coverage as your last flower tent? You had around 600w in your last led tent, can you get the same coverage with 340w? I'll end up having very similar lights as what you own, except I've gone 4x114w, just like the freedom or idea of, for moving light as needed for each plant, plus a couple 400w other brand. If 85w can compete with 200w, I might need a couple more and sell my others. Did you do a decibel reading? My other LEDs were running at 60 give or take, but to loud, hope these are little quieter. Peace Ice
i can get that data i have a decibel meter
heheh, only the munchkin speaks loudly in our house, and we're constantly telling her to use her inside voice. **MY** voice goes through walls at about 55dB. But that's because it's so deep. The munchkin says she can hear my chest talk when I raise my voice.

dont you love having one of those voices that penetrate walls and if you yell the ground shakes and birds fall dead from trees? all my young life ppl told me shhh your so loud lol :rofl:

Ice, good luck with your new lights. I'll have to try and catch up here when I have a little free time. :passitleft:

Very good details !
Subbed...

WOW! I am so impressed Icemud! This is the kind of information on an experiment that I'd like to see. Fantastic job! Hanging on for the ride!:bravo:

Hey Grizzwald, I have to say that the Intelligent-Gro 228w lights definitely give off a larger and more intense footprint than my other LEDs..The other tent actually has 3x 80x5w LEDs in it and the 2x Intelligent-Gro 228W panels are brighter and seem to cover the tent very well! I would say that the spec sheet on these lights is pretty spot on as far as the lighting footprint... These lights are much brighter than my other ones!

I didn't do a decibel reading but I could. I have a handheld audio analyzer from my recording days but the only reason I didn't because with all my other fans running, bubbling teas and such it would be hard to get an accurate db reading due to all the other background noise. I have to say, compared to my other LEDs, the Intelligent Gro are very very quiet, I mean you barely can hear them running even with your ear up close to them, where my other LED's are very loud and can be heard from a distance.... Intelligent Gro lights are very stealthy!

I can't quite say yet, but the 228w model does seem to be a pretty close replacement to a 400w HID.

I'm so in!!

Hey Jandre!!! I will definitely be watching your test grow as well. I really like how you laid out the details of your grow area and the light in your journal as well!!! I have to say, first impression....very bright!!!

Hey everyone!!! Sorry for the delay in the video unboxing that I have been promising. I finished up the video at about 5am last night but my computer keeps blue screening on me when trying to render the video... I think its cause my computer is a beast, but with stock cooling. I even tried rendering it with a fan held up to it and it wasn't enough to cool her down... I think I may have to render in segments and then piece them together... hopefully it will work because the video turned out great, (even though very long, about 18mins)

If I get a chance today I will try to take some decibel readings of not only the Intelligent Gro lights, but also my other ones to give a comparison. I honestly can say that I can't hear the Intelligent Gro lights at all :) super quiet.

Back
Top Bottom