Icemud's Grow 8.0 - New Intelligent-Gro LED - 2 x IGRO-228 LED - Testing & Review

Re: Icemud's Grow 8.0 - New Intelligent-Gro LED - 2 x IGRO-228 LED - Testing And Revi

I was shattered, I brought cause a lot were saying how quiet they were. Unless my fans/ vents aren't set in the correct position. Peace

If you are talking about the "other brand" LED's that I use, I can say that I was displeased at how loud they were as well. It was like music to my ears when I plugged in the Intelligent Gro LED and I couldn't even hear them!! I will take Db readings later today if I can.

Re: Icemud's Grow 8.0 - New Intelligent-Gro LED - 2 x IGRO-228 LED - Testing And Revi

Ice, good luck with your new lights. I'll have to try and catch up here when I have a little free time. :passitleft:

Welcome HomeMedGrower!!!! Thank you for the good luck wishes!! I definitely am glad to have ya here!

Very good details !
Subbed...

Thank you Kimmy!!!

Holy crap, dude... just picked mine up from the office at 8:38 PDT... I've been playing with it since then... Lots of customization on this thing.

and yes, VERY FRIKKIN BRIGHT! I had to see for myself, so I turned it to my face, and hit "Sunny". Things got bright, then got dark.... then I turned it off and realized that I couldn't see. For 30 sec I was just sitting there blinking... there's only one light in my life that's made THAT happen. That was a spot light for the stage. I was helping to change the light, and it got turned at my face, and "accidentally" turned on with the iris open. Even my HPS doesn't do that to me, and I HAVE tried it. guess I'm sort-of weird like that but I want to **SEE** how bright my lights really are.

WOW! I am so impressed Icemud! This is the kind of information on an experiment that I'd like to see. Fantastic job! Hanging on for the ride!:bravo:

Hey Pinky!!!! Thank you so much for you compliment! I tried to think of every bit of information that I would want to know about the lights, as well as what others would want to know (within my limitation) to do a full test/review of the products. I have to say I am really impressed with the amount of information the Intelligent-Gro website has on the lights... I love when companies give more into than needed because it shows they are not hiding anything!! Kudos to Intelligent-Gro!!! So far I love the lights!

Holy crap, dude... just picked mine up from the office at 8:38 PDT... I've been playing with it since then... Lots of customization on this thing.

and yes, VERY FRIKKIN BRIGHT! I had to see for myself, so I turned it to my face, and hit "Sunny". Things got bright, then got dark.... then I turned it off and realized that I couldn't see. For 30 sec I was just sitting there blinking... there's only one light in my life that's made THAT happen. That was a spot light for the stage. I was helping to change the light, and it got turned at my face, and "accidentally" turned on with the iris open. Even my HPS doesn't do that to me, and I HAVE tried it. guess I'm sort-of weird like that but I want to **SEE** how bright my lights really are.

Why are we suckers for punishment? That bruise on my leg I have to touch to see if it still hurts... What the?

I agree with you, these lights are very very intense and bright!!!! I do the same thing for some reason and always look directly at the lights and when I did it with these 228w lights, I was blind and couldn't see anything for at least 10 minutes!!! These are definitely more intense than even the other LED's I am using in my flower tent!!! I can't get over how awesome they are! I swear, just in 1 day my plants seem to have grown, leaves look larger and its like they were shot with adrenalin. I see a "bright" future for my plants :)

OK...so I realized some things yesterday about the lights, controllers and the custom settings that I want to share......

Regarding my last post about how the lights slowly increase brightness and slowly dim depending on the settings you choose.

The recommended VEG and Bloom programs need to be slightly edited on the website.

The recommended 18 hour VEG program is actually 19 hours long and the recommended bloom program is actually 13 hours long. Let me explain...

We will use this chart/graph for example. If you look at this chart you will notice that Hours 1,2,3,22, 23 and 24 are representing the dark period, and by the looks of the chart, that is 6 hours of darkness....This is actually wrong and you would actually get roughly 19 hours of daylight, and 5 hours of darkness. Let me elaborate..
18hr-Veg-program-graph.png

So say that I programed the lights to this schedule (which is what I did for my current grow), One would assume that at hour 4:00, the lights would come on... but this is not the case....

Like in my other post I mentioned that the lights don't increase/decrease intensity by the hour, but rather they increase/decrease slowly from one hour to the next.

So when looking at the chart above, the lights actually would come on between hour 3 and hour 4, and would start at 3:00 at 0%,0%,0% and slowly work their way to the 4:00 settings of 20%,35%,15%. (Grow, VEG, Bloom). So in actuality, based on this 18 hour schedule, the lights actually would come on for around 18-19 hours, somewhere in the middle.

For veg this won't be a big deal, but for flowering, It definitely could effect the plants. Since these plants typically require 12 hours or more of darkness to flower, by using the suggested custom BLOOM schedule, the plants would only receive 11 hours of darkness and this may cause certain strains to stay in veg or delay flowering.

My recommendation would be to remove 1 hour from the middle of each of the recommended schedules where the intensities are 100% across all 3 channels. This way we would be getting a true 18 hour veg schedule and a true 12 hour flowering schedule.

I am glad that I caught this and hope that everyone takes notice, definitely not a big deal and not a deal breaker by any means. All that would have to be corrected is reducing the the recommended bar charts/graphs (daylight hours by 1 hour) to correct this.

I agree with you, these lights are very very intense and bright!!!! I do the same thing for some reason and always look directly at the lights and when I did it with these 228w lights, I was blind and couldn't see anything for at least 10 minutes!!! These are definitely more intense than even the other LED's I am using in my flower tent!!! I can't get over how awesome they are! I swear, just in 1 day my plants seem to have grown, leaves look larger and its like they were shot with adrenalin. I see a "bright" future for my plants :)

I see a bright future fro LED grow lights!

You are absolutely correct. Hour 13 should be deleted and the entire schedule moved over one more hour.
I already paid the guy that did the chart for me and he did it based on what I asked. Anyone have skills that can re-due the three charts to remove hour 13?
If not I will get right on top of it and have it fixed before the end of the weekend( I hope)

What can I do to get a FULL HD version of this video? I sure would love the full High qulity version to watch... Im a snob when it comes to video quality...lol

You know what, I actually did render it at 1080, youtube just took a while to process the higher quality ones. I shot it with only a 4 MP camera so the video is probably up-converted. (I'm and audio engineer, but hardly know video slang) I can burn a copy to a DVD and send it to you, but like I mentioned the original video was shot only at 4MP so it probably won't be as crisp as you would like. There also are websites that you can rip youtube videos in HD.

Alright...Another observation that I was curious about was " Can these lights be used with a digital timer, and will they keep their custom settings if the power is shut off?"

The answer is yes!!!

I tested this last night and actually was still awake making that video when the lights came on this morning. (this is actually how I discovered about the dimming and extra hour on the recommended schedules).

I set my timers to come on 1 hour before the actual controller turned the lights on, and when the timer turned on, the custom controller lit up and the custom settings were still there !!!! Sweet!

I don't know how long without power the custom settings will stay in there but I imagine with today's technology, the settings are probably stored on some kind of flash rom. So Its safe to say that without power for 6 hours, the controller will keep the custom settings. :) Sweet Deal!!!

Very nice work on the video. Looking forward to following the growth of these sweet little girls.

I didn't get to read over all this yet but I just checked out their website and cant wait to see the results from these. Salt water reef aquarium guys are gonna effin love these. Corals are very sensitive and having sunrise sunset and cloudy settings will be huge for them. Are they really a single 54w led in the center? The 5w chips already seem strong I cant imagine what 54w is like lol. I got some reading to check out :D

Its a 54COB. Not LED

A COB is LEDS cluster into one manufactured unit. That allows all the LED cluseters to work together forming what is called a High Powered COB(Chips On Board)
I didn't get to read over all this yet but I just checked out their website and cant wait to see the results from these. Salt water reef aquarium guys are gonna effin love these. Corals are very sensitive and having sunrise sunset and cloudy settings will be huge for them. Are they really a single 54w led in the center? The 5w chips already seem strong I cant imagine what 54w is like lol. I got some reading to check out :D

Yes Nice video... I will admit was a bit embarrassed about those two little white specs on the Controller screen. Controller cord could be a bit longer...good point as well.
I will look into these kinds of things mentioned as something to work on for bettering the unit. By no means will I ignore anything that is pointed out that we all would agre upon as being something to make better in any way.

It's work in progress man, new product = issues. If those tiny white specs are all the issues that you have at this point kudos to you. I wouldn't like them neither but still very minor issue at this point in the game.

OK...so I realized some things yesterday about the lights, controllers and the custom settings that I want to share......

Regarding my last post about how the lights slowly increase brightness and slowly dim depending on the settings you choose.

The recommended VEG and Bloom programs need to be slightly edited on the website.

The recommended 18 hour VEG program is actually 19 hours long and the recommended bloom program is actually 13 hours long. Let me explain...

We will use this chart/graph for example. If you look at this chart you will notice that Hours 1,2,3,22, 23 and 24 are representing the dark period, and by the looks of the chart, that is 6 hours of darkness....This is actually wrong and you would actually get roughly 19 hours of daylight, and 5 hours of darkness. Let me elaborate..
18hr-Veg-program-graph.png

So say that I programed the lights to this schedule (which is what I did for my current grow), One would assume that at hour 4:00, the lights would come on... but this is not the case....

Like in my other post I mentioned that the lights don't increase/decrease intensity by the hour, but rather they increase/decrease slowly from one hour to the next.

So when looking at the chart above, the lights actually would come on between hour 3 and hour 4, and would start at 3:00 at 0%,0%,0% and slowly work their way to the 4:00 settings of 20%,35%,15%. (Grow, VEG, Bloom). So in actuality, based on this 18 hour schedule, the lights actually would come on for around 18-19 hours, somewhere in the middle.

For veg this won't be a big deal, but for flowering, It definitely could effect the plants. Since these plants typically require 12 hours or more of darkness to flower, by using the suggested custom BLOOM schedule, the plants would only receive 11 hours of darkness and this may cause certain strains to stay in veg or delay flowering.

My recommendation would be to remove 1 hour from the middle of each of the recommended schedules where the intensities are 100% across all 3 channels. This way we would be getting a true 18 hour veg schedule and a true 12 hour flowering schedule.

I am glad that I caught this and hope that everyone takes notice, definitely not a big deal and not a deal breaker by any means. All that would have to be corrected is reducing the the recommended bar charts/graphs (daylight hours by 1 hour) to correct this.

I see what you're saying there, but assuming that the plants need a full 12 hours and no less to flower is mildly incorrect. I see plants start to flower at a mere 14.5 hours light, and 9.5 hours darkness, and go into full flower at 10.5 hours of darkness. so... coming on a little early and only giving them 11 hours of total darkness isn't really that big of a deal, really. Especially so here since it's between 0% and 35% of the full power light that they will be getting. Remember that the FULL MOON in nature is known to be pretty bright under the right conditions, enough to walk around at night w/o a flashlight, and can still see clearly and that is nearly all night long for a few FULL nights a month....

Back
Top Bottom