Icemud's LED Grow - The Tangie Pheno Hunt

I'm in. I need to understand the basics of this hunting process. You are my favorite instructor of choice these days, so let me jump back and catch up with you. WooHoo!!! :slide:

Hey SweetSue! glad you could make it :) and thanks for making me blush :) hahaa

Well I have to say this is all new to me and usually I research first but haven't yet, so we will see what I can find out. I know there are a lot of people here at 420 that have done this before so hoping to become a sponge and gather some knowledge :)

Hi Ice, wow, can't believe I caught you at page 2....I clone constantly....don't be afraid to top...that will encourage side branching, for sure

Hey Shawnee!! glad to see you! Hope all is well.

So when selecting the best pheno you top as well? Is there anything "pre=topping" that you look for or notate when selecting a choice plant? or is mostly determined by the final results?

My main question or concern would be if there is anything growth/plant structure wise that I would "mess up" by topping when chosing a pheno, or if its pretty much all in the final buds...

Glad you joined in Shawnee and will definitely value your insight on the pheno hunt :)

Icemud, geez, I'm always stunned by how much I learn every time I come to visit you. Thanks so much for the video on PAR readings. Made me wish I had a meter. I wonder....? No... I can't remember a time when he had one here. Shoot!! :straightface:

We're going to have lots of fun with this search. I can feel it. :battingeyelashes:

Aww thanks sweetsue. The meter is definitely one of the better "tools" I have invested in for growing/testing/research. I use it almost everytime I move my lights, change the spectrum intensities and even when flipping from 18/6 to 12/12.. Its nice to know exactly what height to hang the lights based on their daily need of photon dinner :)

Quite an expensive toy though, I think I got mine on fleabay for around $200 but new they are around $300-350 but I think I have used it more than any other of my growing toys/meters that I have purchased :)

I pretty much top every plant I have. The last 2 grows I ran were all the same strain and then grow #2 was from clones from grow #1....believe it or not, each individual plant is different IMO and the differences can be both subtle and dramatic...pick the ones that look pleasing to you...you can't mess anything up, the buds from the strain are the buds from the strain in the end...enjoy with no worries...:thumb:

im still on my phenol hunt for the holy grail
I want to find that one phenol that no one tasted
it was so good by the time I thought to share it was near gone so I said to myself aww hell ill just smoke it lol
but I want to find that phenol again so I can share
so everyone gets to taste that taste that I ooo soo miss
as far as topping goes you could top it and use the top for clone 1
or like when I give a extra week in veg it has no room to go up so the top is forced to go to the side and the bottoms have time to come out and some branches pass it

Aww thanks sweetsue. The meter is definitely one of the better "tools" I have invested in for growing/testing/research. I use it almost everytime I move my lights, change the spectrum intensities and even when flipping from 18/6 to 12/12.. Its nice to know exactly what height to hang the lights based on their daily need of photon dinner :)

Quite an expensive toy though, I think I got mine on fleabay for around $200 but new they are around $300-350 but I think I have used it more than any other of my growing toys/meters that I have purchased :)

While I was watching you I kept thinking how valuable one would be to determine the footprint you actually had. It's definitely one of those things I'll be on the lookout for and may start a small secret slush fund for. My budget requires stealth from time to time. :laughtwo:

I pretty much top every plant I have. The last 2 grows I ran were all the same strain and then grow #2 was from clones from grow #1....believe it or not, each individual plant is different IMO and the differences can be both subtle and dramatic...pick the ones that look pleasing to you...you can't mess anything up, the buds from the strain are the buds from the strain in the end...enjoy with no worries...:thumb:

Awesome Shawnee!! Thank you so much for your suggestions and encouragement :) I figured the buds is pretty much the tell all :)

im still on my phenol hunt for the holy grail
I want to find that one phenol that no one tasted
it was so good by the time I thought to share it was near gone so I said to myself aww hell ill just smoke it lol
but I want to find that phenol again so I can share
so everyone gets to taste that taste that I ooo soo miss
as far as topping goes you could top it and use the top for clone 1
or like when I give a extra week in veg it has no room to go up so the top is forced to go to the side and the bottoms have time to come out and some branches pass it

That is kind of what I was thinking, top them, use the top for a clone, and hopefully it roots, if not, in a few weeks there will be branches I can take for clones :)

I'm in search of those terps :) since tangie is supposed to be one of those strains known for its terps... I want them! hahah I'm also curious if in fact I have kosher tangie, tangie or tangilope...I'm guessing its not tangilope cause it would have more sativa dom leaves i would think... but I looked at some photos of kosher tangie and the leaves seem spot on with what I am seeing :)

I have to say, when transplanting them, it smelled like an orange grove....very very citrus smelling :) almost like smelling an orange peel.

Wow! If they have that much perfume at this stage, I can only imagine what they'll be like in flower. Mmmmmmm. :battingeyelashes:

While I was watching you I kept thinking how valuable one would be to determine the footprint you actually had. It's definitely one of those things I'll be on the lookout for and may start a small secret slush fund for. My budget requires stealth from time to time. :laughtwo:

Owning a PAR meter wouldn't even really be necessary if LED companies actually published the right data and helped people make accurate decisions. I hope that someday, it becomes a standard in the industry to publish PAR fluence rates over a 4x4 grid at multiple heights... This will make me so happy :)

Until then I will keep pushing these companies to publish there data... the problem is, most of them have no clue how to aquire the data, let along explain to growers how to use it...

I wish they would just pay me to do it... like a consultant... send me 1 of each of your lights... 400$ a light fee, I will test them, print up the results on a 4x4 grid, and then ship the lights back... meanwhile providing a standard data format for everyone to accurately pick there lights... hmmm... not a bad idea :) lol... i would have to get a LI-Cor which is much more accuate than my Apogee but also over $1000 for 1....

Awesome setup man! Im currently growing a Tangerine Haze cross and the citrus smell is killer!

Hey Illumanotty!!!!

Thanks for stopping in and welcome :)

Happy to have you!

This is my first run with the Mystery Tangies and you are dead on.... the smell is like a citrus grove or like smelling an orange peel :) Cant wait to try these once all said and done...

Tangerine Haze sounds delicious!!!

Tangie makes some excellent extracts too... some of the best tasting wax I have ever had was made from Tangie...

Wow! If they have that much perfume at this stage, I can only imagine what they'll be like in flower. Mmmmmmm. :battingeyelashes:

Yea I can't wait :)

I really hope they are Kosher Tangie because I love OG's... but either way.... happy to have tangie... the smell reminds me of my youth soccer days... and a huge bucket of sliced oranges :)

But if you were consulting your costs would be tax deductible.

But if you were consulting your costs would be tax deductible.

Hmmm, if that was the case I would get a nice $3500 spectroradiometer :) lol....

I swear I'm such a tech nerd :) and I love it :)

So today I woke the girls up with a shower of TandJ tea....Love this stuff....

I also had a batch brewing from last night so I gave each of the girls 4 cups of tea.... which is about double the normal feeding. My thoughts were to get that soil jumpstarted with microbes, even though its been cooking and alive and smells earthy, more microbes cant hurt :) lol

Man I have to say this TandJ biominerals stinks.... smells horrible...not as bad as my hydrolyzed squid which takes the cake, but comes in strongly in 2nd place... for most stinky nutrient...

I also noticed that my TandJ tea activator has been very alive...and by that I notice that little beetles were growing in the bag... I unfortunately had the bag open and not sealed correctly and for the last month, every night when I turned out my bedroom lights, I would see like 2 of these little beetles land on my computer screen... I couldn't figure out where they were coming from forever and finally I found my TandJ tea activator, and noticed they were growing in it.... what are they... I think they are known as carpet beetles. Anyhow after reasearching them I found out they are common in warehouses so I'm thinking that when i dipped my wet spoon in the activator ( i use a spoon to measure out doses, and it was wet from rinsing it from azomite) I think it may have awakened the beetles....

Anyhow, I'm very very relieved to find out the source of these midnight beetles... I was starting to think my house was haunted...LOL j/k sort of....

I squeezed the crap out of the tea activator to kill any larvae in it, and sealed the bag up in a ziplock... hope this stops their breeding... I would hate to have them get into my soil... even though my hypoapsis mites may thank me for the feast :)

Glad you solved the beetle mystery, but bummer that it wasn't a ghost. How cool would that have been? LOL!

Glad you solved the beetle mystery, but bummer that it wasn't a ghost. How cool would that have been? LOL!

Yea, seriously I was like WTF...LOL I couldn't figure out where they were coming from and was so relieved when I did....

Hmmm a ghost.... would be cool, but I've also had a ghost experience that scared the heeby jeebies out of me.... I think my old recording studio was haunted....

So one night, among many, alone in the studio at like 3am. My studio was in a little industrial park that after business hours there really was nobody around for blocks... I didn't always but sometimes would get the feeling as if I wasn't alone, even though all doors were locked and nobody was even on the street let alone within a block... never paid much attention to it... but 1 night... that all changed...

I was up... it was about 3am and the speakers when on (pro studio speakes) had a very very slight hissing noise when on, almost like a very subtle white noise (for all the audio buffs out there). This was normal and I was sitting back, editing some songs and I started to hear a conversation among the subtle white noise/hissing. Being that I am a recording engineer, my ears have been trained to tune into distinct sounds so I tried to listen and determine where the "conversation was coming from". I couldn't exactly place where, but it sounded like it was coming from behind my speakers which was a wall, and behind that wall was a hallway to the back of the studio where we had screen printing machines. (nobody was there). The studio was also built with soundproofing and isolation techniques to limit any sound transmission so usually it was dead silent....

I couldn't make out what was being said in the ghostly conversation so I decided to get up, go to the back of the shop where the screen printing machines were to have a cig and smoke a little herb. I get up, walk to the studio door and notice that there is a black cloudy shape covering the door and blocking my vision, almost like a translucent man sized trash bag type look... I was startled, looked down and then back up and it was gone and everything was normal..... so now I'm a little creeped out and really needing that cig and weed to calm my nerves so I go back to the tshirt printing area where we smoked.

So about 2 minutes into smoking my cig I noticed the breeze outside picked up suddenly and across the warehouse area, an aresol can of sticky adhesive we used for printing falls off a shelf across from me onto the floor, and then something sweeps the back of my knee and knocks me off balance... like someone hit the back of my knee to make it buckle....

At this point.... I was definitely scared and whooosh.... put out the cig, turned out the lights, set the alarm code and gone... locked up for the night....

Never could explain it, and it was very odd that the can fell, because it was a full aresol can, heavy and would take quite a strong wind to even knock it down. Plus there were no windows or doors open for a breeze to go through besides some gentle movement of air from the leaks in the big garage door in back.... and then to make physical contact with my knee....No thank you....LOL

I never had another experience there after that, but whatever it was was not happy I was there mixing rap songs at 3am...LOL.

I did have 1 other supernatural experience with an Ouija board once, but I think those things are evil and honestly don't even want to talk about it... lets just say it told me how much change was in my pocket, when I didn't even know.... yep...scary..

Dang, Ice, epic share, bro....reps! I feel ya, I hear ya, I've had sum sum too....

Dang, Ice, epic share, bro....reps! I feel ya, I hear ya, I've had sum sum too....

Thanks Shawnee...It definitely was an odd experience. One that makes me curious about what we don't know... I wouldn't mind experiencing an ghostly encounter again, as long as they keep their distance and are good energy :)

and I just thought of a joke...

So why did I punch a ghost??? Because he was talking sheet :) hahahahahahah

Back
Top Bottom