Must Read: Butane, BHO, Safety Warning

Only electric equipment carries a rating for Class 1 Division 1, or Class 1 Division 2, is safe and specifically designed to be around flammable gas. Even if heat does not get to the temp where butane combusts, even turning a dial or flipping a switch on electronics which are not designed to be around flammable gas can cause a spark and therefore cause butane to ignite.

Especially if you are using odorless butane (which you should be), you can't smell it, and butane is heavier than air so it pools along the ground. Even 1 single can of Butane could cause significant burns, harm and damage if it were to ignite, so I always recommend leaving butane extraction to those in properly designed rooms and facilities with the proper equipment.

In a professional butane extraction lab, there are numerous safe guard systems in place to prevent explosions from even being possible, and in California for example, all butane labs must be inspected by system engineers who are ASME certified AND approved by the local fire marshal for safe operation. All electronics in the "control room" or nearby area are required to be UL listed for C1D1 environments, including lights switches, sockets, pumps, etc. Generally there are gas detection alarms that sense even small amounts of butane, far below LEL (lower explosive limit) which if signaled, will generally cut most power to the room instantly and also generally will be attached to an emergency fan evacuation system which will force air exchange very quickly. Even things like restricting the use of foot powder in shoes is part of professional lab SOPs because foot powder can be an insulator and help the body build up static which can also cause butane to explode. Even Electric STatic Discharge clothing is worn in most of these environments and some clothing type materials are restricted due to the high potential of generating static.

Butane is a great gas for making extracts, but because it is extremely dangerous to use due to its flammability, I generally recommend you REALLY do your research before getting into butane extractions. There are a lot of people who buy these closed loop systems and then use them in unsafe environments and those are ticking time bombs waiting for an accident.

Great info,
I’ve done a few BHO extractions before and usually very cautious. I haven’t done it in sometime now because the last time I did I was rushed and caught off guard by someone stopping by the house when I wasn’t ready. The batch was twice as large as usual and with someone else distracting me I brought it back in the house way too early. Long story short his wool sweater he was wearing was staticky and set the mixture ablaze. I ended up with burns all over my face and arms. If anyone is doing this, please exercise extreme caution. I’d also recommend being alone due to distractions becoming dangerous.

Great info,
I’ve done a few BHO extractions before and usually very cautious. I haven’t done it in sometime now because the last time I did I was rushed and caught off guard by someone stopping by the house when I wasn’t ready. The batch was twice as large as usual and with someone else distracting me I brought it back in the house way too early. Long story short his wool sweater he was wearing was staticky and set the mixture ablaze. I ended up with burns all over my face and arms. If anyone is doing this, please exercise extreme caution. I’d also recommend being alone due to distractions becoming dangerous.

Wow... I am glad that you lived through this accident, wow! Thank you for sharing your experience here as it may help save others from injury. The danger with butane is very real. Glad you are here!

I've seen at least 4 different news articles highlighting explosions over the past month just in Cali with illegal butane labs exploding... Butane extractions should ONLY be done by professionals in a properly licensed, ASME engineer designed, fire marshal approved, facility designed for C1D1 explosive environments.

Thank you for sharing your story and glad you are ok now.

I encourage everyone to leave butane extraction up to the pro's who are licensed do properly use flammable gasses.

I have been eying up this piece of kit... does this look like a safer option ? i dont mind spending a bit extra..

The product is good but the risk is extreme in most cases! I have done many extractions but most were done in my outdoors lab area! I have an area shielded by rows of tall shrubbery , an old out building and a giant fig tree where I set up to gas (when I personally did this). I alway chose a night with a mild but steady breeze and am standing on a slight incline to help the gas roll away easier. I wear protective clothing that is long sleeved, pants and socks and a gator with hat. Protective glasses and /or a face shield are always used when using chemicals, gases ,solvents and etc. I have a friend who would act as safety officer and guard, watching me and for any intruder or unintended visitor who may arrive uninvited! A fire extinguisher is at hand for him if the world goes bad on me during this procedure! This is not my favorite way to make oil anyway and I will not comment on that, except to say both this method and stovetop oil is inferior to the other method I use . I have a good friend who blew up a vessel full of fresh extract that was still gassing off a good bit when he lit up a joint while looking at it! He too, got a flash burn to his face and one hand. I was reminded of the guy who lit a lighter to see better while siphoning gas from a truck to use in a lantern many years ago! The only reason he didn't get critical burns was he was parked less than 10 feet away from a lake and he jumped in immediately! Best to leave this method alone!:smokin:

the risk is extreme in most cases!

Not really; it requires common sense, though.

except to say both this method and stovetop oil is inferior to the other method I use .

In what way are they inferior to your "other" method? And can that mystery method produce a 95%+ THC extract product like butane/propane can? I've read that a lot of them cannot, and this might be the main appeal of using butane. Therefore, if you've got one that is just as good in that regard, please do not hesitate to post it.

I have a good friend who blew up a vessel full of fresh extract that was still gassing off a good bit when he lit up a joint while looking at it! He too, got a flash burn to his face and one hand. I was reminded of the guy who lit a lighter to see better while siphoning gas from a truck to use in a lantern many years ago!

Life isn't stupid-proof, lol. Nor should it be, IMHO. Way too many stupid people live long enough to breed as it is. We know more than we did 150 years ago, yet the average IQ in developed countries has fallen, and continues to do so. It's not because we're letting halfwits come in from other countries - it's because we're keeping the idiots alive via the practice of "child-proofing" their world and then using medicine/technology to heal them when that proves to be insufficient.

Not really; it requires common sense, though.

In what way are they inferior to your "other" method? And can that mystery method produce a 95%+ THC extract product like butane/propane can? I've read that a lot of them cannot, and this might be the main appeal of using butane. Therefore, if you've got one that is just as good in that regard, please do not hesitate to post it.

Life isn't stupid-proof, lol. Nor should it be, IMHO. Way too many stupid people live long enough to breed as it is. We know more than we did 150 years ago, yet the average IQ in developed countries has fallen, and continues to do so. It's not because we're letting halfwits come in from other countries - it's because we're keeping the idiots alive via the practice of "child-proofing" their world and then using medicine/technology to heal them when that proves to be insufficient.
Hello TS! I got booted from this site a couple years ago for talking about this stuff! But I will say the other method was a more refined method, but it does use gas! The system recycles and contains most of the material used in a super cooled vacuum reactor chamber. The entire process was in a controlled environment that I no longer have access to. I do not think the average person should mess with this process- using highly flammable gases and in many states could get you 25 years in the big house! Nobody intends to make a mistake, but shit happens! Now, I could only make the stuff in my backyard with far less sophistication and more dangers in the process, when I am desperate for more great cookies! :peace:

Stupid is a reality concerning humans of all educational and cultural backgrounds. Using butane in the house, much worse in the bedroom, is certainly stupid! No one plans an accident. But disregarding stupidity, too many chance occurrences, that may pop up from nowhere, makes using butane released into the rooms air or other highly volatile substances similarly, inside a home foolish and reckless! Do without before being stupid.

I've done a few extractions and every time I do it outdoors after it rains.
I'm not doing large amounts, perhaps one oz at a time. I'm pretty sure
that the risk is minimal, especially if there is a bit of a breeze. More of
a PITA to use than make in my opinion.

BHO extractions. Only outside, after a good soaking rain, and preferably a slight
breeze. No static charge producing clothing. Must have...fire extinguisher nearby.
COMMON SENSE. CONSIDER ALL THAT CAN GO WRONG and take care of as much
as you can. Also consider....is it worth it? Wouldn't you rather have some nice hash?
Wax and hash both come from the same source but wax is crazy to use while hash
is a classic. Just my humble opinion

There's safety, and then there's paranoia...

Back
Top Bottom